Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So um, why is the thread now convinced that Orsoff is going to lose? And why are they acting so smug about it? I mean, the polling hasn't changed and early turnout has been great. Also unlike Montana which remains a deep red state this Georgia district has been trending purple for years now so big turnout doesn't simply mean more Republicans.

Is it because being a bunch of broke brained pessimists allows you to always move the goal posts so that you're, in the end, always right about something? If he wins no one will really call you out because "well he was supposed to win" but if he loses you get to smugly broadcast to everyone how right you were.

A) Nothing matters
B) I am right and you were stupid for thinking anything matters
C) Democrats will always lose
D) I am right and you are stupid for thinking anything other than Full Bernieism Now is a viable election strategy
E) Also I am right first so I am right most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Who is this shitbag and why does he constantly post streams of responses to Trump tweets?

https://twitter.com/pnehlen/status/876781086004477952

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whatever happened to that laptop ban? I haven't heard anything about it.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, it's not.

Neo-liberalism actually means something.

People in the U.S. use it as "thing I don't like" but that is not what it actually means.

Denmark is a neo-liberal economy by any reasonable measure.

They have:

- Extremely free trade
- Strong unions (but not established by the government and these unions negotiate compensation primarily. They do not enforce policies that support job security. The only job security law they mandate in Denmark is giving employees notice when firing them.)
- Very free movement of capital
- Very free movement of immigration
- The government only directly employs about 18% of the population
- There are no 100% state-owned industries
- They have strong IP and content creator laws
- No substantial barriers to entering the market or substantial tariffs
- Their tax system doesn't favor certain commercial exports

Generous unemployment benefits and active labor market policy on the other hand aren't very neoliberal.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

evilweasel posted:

He's in custody already and it's a murder, they're going to be running down all leads. But saying you're investigating it as a hate crime will be taken as "we have evidence it is a hate crime" so even if they're looking into the possibility that it was a hate crime (and if they already have the guy in custody they probably have a motive) they're not going to say that unless they've got some reason to believe its one.

This makes sense, thanks for the explanation evilweasel!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cravius posted:

His Facebook page says he's a Honduran citizen

No but seriously, I'm sure you wouldn't just read this somewhere and then vomit it back at us.

Right?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Who is this shitbag and why does he constantly post streams of responses to Trump tweets?

Looking through his bio - a huge tool who is severly inflating the positions he held to try to ride the business boom to a congressional seat.

He lost the primary to Ryan for that district by 68 points in 2016.

So, no one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pollyanna posted:

Basically businesses told Trump to get hosed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rotacixe posted:

Generous unemployment benefits and active labor market policy on the other hand aren't very neoliberal.

Yep, and neither are regulations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

They quietly shut down the expansion to European countries, presumably because businesses hated it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well, the laptop ban from certain Middle Eastern countries is still in place. But they didn't go forward with the wider ban from European countries, afaik.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So um, why is the thread now convinced that Orsoff is going to lose? And why are they acting so smug about it? I mean, the polling hasn't changed and early turnout has been great. Also unlike Montana which remains a deep red state this Georgia district has been trending purple for years now so big turnout doesn't simply mean more Republicans.

Is it because being a bunch of broke brained pessimists allows you to always move the goal posts so that you're, in the end, always right about something? If he wins no one will really call you out because "well he was supposed to win" but if he loses you get to smugly broadcast to everyone how right you were.

I posted a link above, but the voting machines in GA 06 are proven vulnerable to hacking and extroardinarily insecure, with no paper trail, and the office in charge of monitoring them . . . Used to be run by Karen Handel.

Watch for differences between exit polls and results.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 19, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rotacixe posted:

Generous unemployment benefits actually are a neo-liberal policy position. And Denmark has relatively few labor market protections. Denmark's only major protections are safety requirements and requiring notice when you are being fired (if you have worked there for a certain amount of time).

Denmark has fairly high labor mobility and does not actively try to protect individual's employment. They have a strong safety net and rules that favor employers to promote fluidity in the private labor market.

That is very different from a government union or policies that make it difficult to fire people.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You see it with both sides in the thread. One side starts screaming nothing matters and we're all doomed while the other side says nothing matters as a democrat winning there was unlikely so them losing there means nothing.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Generous unemployment benefits actually are a neo-liberal policy position

Yes, this is correct

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Looking through his bio - a huge tool who is severly inflating the positions he held to try to ride the business boom to a congressional seat.

He lost the primary to Ryan for that district by 68 points in 2016.

So, no one.

Thank you. I start grinding my teeth when I see people imitating Trump. The last thing the world needs is more bullshit and inflammatory hyperbole.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cravius posted:

Anything to fit the narrative I guess.

cravius posted:

By an illegal alien no less

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's low key one of the reasons why the hiring freeze was lifted as well.

http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/morning-tech/2017/04/patent-groups-urge-trump-to-lift-hiring-freeze-for-uspto-219636

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dick Trauma posted:

primarying Paul Ryan for being a cuck

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/876820670906335234

:unsmith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

But this thread told me they were all too much of pussies to do and that they traded it away for the Russia vote

My narrative :qq:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Glumslinger posted:

But this thread told me they were all too much of pussies to do and that they traded it away for the Russia vote

Still a meaningless symbolic gesture because they can't actually stop the bill from ultimately being passed.

:smug:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Glumslinger posted:

I'll laugh if they actually pulled the football away from the *GOP* this time.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Reminder that the Ossof/Handel election is tomorrow if anyone needs to take a break to avoid everyone making GBS threads themselves.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I wanted to skip giving Megyn Kelly any clicks or views or credit for being a decent human being, but I'm looking through her report and I guess it's not quite as bad as I thought it would be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HzOqZeX3Yk

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It would be kind of funny if Paul Ryan was primaried

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
I hope Jay Sekulow fades into obscurity after this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cravius posted:

His Facebook page says he's a Honduran citizen

Still waiting for a link to this, by the way.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mmmm, no, I think they shouldn't bother. Keep your powder dry and all that since the legislation will pass anyway and nothing matters.

(this is really good news and shows that they're listening)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Still a meaningless symbolic gesture because they can't actually stop the bill from ultimately being passed.

:smug:

If they have to go into the next recess without passing it, the hope is that their constituents can exert enough pressure on them to snipe 3 republican votes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No Butt Stuff posted:

I wanted to skip giving Megyn Kelly any clicks or views or credit for being a decent human being, but I'm looking through her report and I guess it's not quite as bad as I thought it would be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HzOqZeX3Yk

They brought in Joss Whedon to punch it up and do some heavy reshoots and editing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mcmagic posted:

If they have to go into the next recess without passing it, the hope is that their constituents can exert enough pressure on them to snipe 3 republican votes.

Rand Paul is already a no so they need to snipe just 2.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
This whole neoliberalism = libertarianism = anarcho-capitalism schtick is slightly less painful than listening to my family explain why liberalism is Marxism.

Slightly.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

They seem to literally believe that if they can convince the public that he's not being investigated, it will go away. I really just don't get why they won't shut the gently caress up ever.

Seems like GA-06 is pretty much a lock for Handel at this point, I guess? Or what? I keep seeing +2.5 R and that seems pretty insurmountable.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

That's... not reassuring in the post-Trump era. Emoluments clause violations are already not a good sign.

Did you decide to just declare god emperor pepe trump with his big hands victorious on all three lawsuits about this already just because he's so tough and strong and never loses to sad low energy losers or something? He hasn't gotten away with anything yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's not +2.5R, the polls are generally in Ossoff favor. +2.5R is what you end up if you apply turnout models based on something.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

Seems like GA-06 is pretty much a lock for Handel at this point, I guess? Or what? I keep seeing +2.5 R and that seems pretty insurmountable.

where the hell are you getting that? handel has lead in, I believe, one poll while every other poll has a tie or a small ossoff lead

based on the polls you would think a very narrow edge to ossoff but one that you can't be very confident about because it's so small that polling error/turnout issues are large in comparison to

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It would be kind of funny if Paul Ryan was primaried

I think it's reasonable expectation for Ryan to get primaried, but not by that guy.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

They seem to literally believe that if they can convince the public that he's not being investigated, it will go away. I really just don't get why they won't shut the gently caress up ever.

Trump is obsessed about the news coverage and wants people on shows to counter push narratives to make him look better to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
Chris Cuomo grilling Jay Sekulow is amazing. I've never liked Cuomo more.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/politics/cuomo-trump-lawyer-clash-over-russia-probe-cnntv/index.html

• Locked thread