Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

For further confirmation this is insane, having TLs involve themselves from the outset is standard for avoiding issues and making generally better localizations. After a certain puzzle caused issues in 999, Aksys began working more closely with the devs on future titles to make sure translators wouldn't have to jump through hoops to ensure puzzles made sense outside of Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was mediocre about ff type zero?

Also stuff about fan translation reminds me of this one goon who was really mad at sega because he said there were valkyria chronicles sequels with fan translations that the fans had told sega they could use for free but that sega was being a prick by refusing to release the game using the fan translation and that sega was doing it just to spite its fanbase and that it wouldn't cost sega anything to release those games with the fan translation. Then he got mad at me for not agreeing with him.

He also was going on about how selvaria from valkyria chronicles was like the #1 (or at least top 10) picked people for sega all stars racing but that sega refused to add her in just to spite VC fans. lol

e:

Motto posted:

For further confirmation this is insane, having TLs involve themselves from the outset is standard for avoiding issues and making generally better localizations. After a certain puzzle caused issues in 999, Aksys began working more closely with the devs on future titles to make sure translators wouldn't have to jump through hoops to ensure puzzles made sense outside of Japan.

What puzzle was that?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

What puzzle was that?

One that played on 9 and Q having the same pronunciation in Japanese.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

first they translated onigiri as rice, then the devs stopped including onigiri altogether. shut treehouse down

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgxH2KG4ts

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

treehouse: actually we don't have onsen here. what if they take a summer class trip to a mall food court instead

me: death is a kindness too sweet for this nightmare world

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Relax, my friend. Let's get some hamburgers

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I get that youtube channel devoted to video game censorship on my recommendations once in awhile and it always looks like the most pathetic bullshit imaginable. Like we live in a world where some people are STILL seething with rage that labzero cut some panty shots from Skullgirls.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm curious to see if there's gonna be any differences between the JP and NA versions of Xenoblade 2. After all the backlash they might be keeping everything the same this time.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

I get that youtube channel devoted to video game censorship on my recommendations once in awhile and it always looks like the most pathetic bullshit imaginable. Like we live in a world where some people are STILL seething with rage that labzero cut some panty shots from Skullgirls.

My favorite is people mad that they changed the name of Satan in Puyo Puyo to Dark Prince. There's a 12 minute video about this.

Serf
May 5, 2011

an actual dog posted:

I'm curious to see if there's gonna be any differences between the JP and NA versions of Xenoblade 2. After all the backlash they might be keeping everything the same this time.

hopefully they make it look less bad

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

an actual dog posted:

Even if it is they're getting worked up about the idea of the game getting """censored""" mid-development now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In ffxv theres a part translated as "run away and regroup" but what it really means is "go to specific point, do not leave the battle"

Translators, man.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I have inside-knowledge that they've already remove all vagina bones from the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

In ffxv theres a part translated as "run away and regroup" but what it really means is "go to specific point, do not leave the battle"

Translators, man.

Yeah that was annoying I ended up running from the fight like three or four times before I figured out what they actually wanted me to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

an actual dog posted:

My favorite is people mad that they changed the name of Satan in Puyo Puyo to Dark Prince. There's a 12 minute video about this.

They should not have changed this

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

They should not have changed this

Tru but I just change his name in my head and everything's fine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The annoying thing is in the NES days Nintendo of America did force a ton of dumb changes or they wouldn't release your game which was a form of actual censorship (though I also doubt most game companies cared most of the time) but because gamers are loving morons they now take any decision from anyone at all to change any part of a game as censorship. Like there is a huge difference between a game getting rid of weird religious elements because they think it will play very differently in the west and them changing it because it won't be allowed release otherwise but to some people they are the exact same thing.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
A Satan can go by many names.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think a fair amount of localisation changes (not gonna call it censorship lol) are kind of dumb but I don't rant about it online or refuse to buy a game or anything.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have changed his name to Hercule imo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mods please change my name to OLD LUTHERFUD

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

baka gaijin sullying the sanctity of the pure nipponese language with their localizations

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
*over the sounds of jack-booted thugs dragging your neighbors out of their home because of the color of their skin* "Does NINTENDO think we're too IMMATURE for CLEAVAGE?"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I think a fair amount of localisation changes (not gonna call it censorship lol) are kind of dumb but I don't rant about it online or refuse to buy a game or anything.

Well yeah. I think the most damning thing is that none of the actual game creators seem to care. It's not like some game writer is ranting about this and how it destroyed his vision. It's all minor, dumb stuff that even the most invested in the creation of these games doesn't care about. Like you should not care more about creepy bullshit remaining in games than David Cage.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I started playing Mad Max yesterday. At one point early on there was this long cutscene with a mysterious wanderer and I skipped it because I was like "this is just an excuse to have a skill tree for Max isn't it" and sure enough it was. The story seems kinda dumb for the most part and the combat is so Batman it hurts.

But MAN I really like muscle cars and this game has some sexy engine sounds. I'm having a blast just driving around and going off jumps. Kinda lame that they open up this garage and say "hey, lookit all this cool stuff you can do to your car!" but then 99.9% of it is locked behind story progression.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Translators, man.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah that was annoying I ended up running from the fight like three or four times before I figured out what they actually wanted me to do.

I think that's the only time I had to ask someone online what the hell the game was asking for, it was pretty dumb.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst part of Mad Max is that it forces you to do a bunch of the open world stuff to progress in the story.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

The worst part of Mad Max is that it forces you to do a bunch of the open world stuff to progress in the story.

I would've stuck with Mad Max longer if you never had to leave your car

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I would go on 4chan's video game board back around 2011, before I joined SA, and in retrospect it is entirely unsurprising that they started an enormous antifeminism movement because suggesting that a videogame might be sexist was the one thing that would make that entire community get genuinely defensive and upset. Like anything else it would be mixed opinions or some ironic bullshit, but if you suggested that maybe all games shouldn't have gratuitous T&A, or that armour contoured around each individual boob was stupid, they would all drop the irony and get very angry about it. They didn't even get that way about racism or politics or any other kind of censorship/localisation stuff iirc, but 'less titty in videogame' was their big red line.

I think now that red line might also include talking about cultural appropriation and insulting donald trump, though...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

And inversely gates almost all of its major unlocks behind story progress. The wrench upgrade in particular is arguably one of the most important ones in the game since effects your car's regen speed but you don't even have the option of doing the mission to unlock it until you reach the final area of the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

The story's the least interesting part of the game so that's a positive.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Motto posted:

One that played on 9 and Q having the same pronunciation in Japanese.

Oh that explains a lot actually

I'd figured it was something more like "this person misread q as 9 which ended up confusing everybody"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Could somebody talk me down from buying Civilization Beyond Earth? I don't want the buyer's remorse

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

vermin posted:

Could somebody talk me down from buying Civilization Beyond Earth? I don't want the buyer's remorse

It's bad

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

vermin posted:

lol, whyyyy are you even having this thought.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Xenoblade is one of the best games I've never bothered finishing. It's so goddamn looooooooooooooong.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Things that I am impatient to have released:

Breath of the Wild DLC

Dragon Ball Fighter Z holy poo poo I want it so bad

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

an actual dog posted:

lol, whyyyy are you even having this thought.

You ever want to play a game you've only heard terrible things about? Even with lovely food you can find some kind of enjoyment out of it. I know it's going to be an unpolished watered down Alpha Centauri. Maybe I'm broken.

You ever just like buying things and throwing them in a dumpster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

vermin posted:

You ever just like buying things and throwing them in a dumpster?

no

• Locked thread