Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Just gonna say I will only buy it if it makes the VROOM noise when it turns on like the Forza Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Yep I have one I used for about 6 months before i started my cockpit. Pretty cozy. Much better than a couch and stand for sure.

Cool just wanted to see if the youtube reviews werent all just crap. I'd love to build a rig i've even got two recaro recliners sitting around, maybe a project for when ive moved.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

800 dollars? No thank you.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nm I'm dumb

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I actually built a pretty nice pvc rig with a car seat and whatnot and really enjoy it but want to expand on it. Does anyone here have any experience with a buttkicker? It seems like it would add a lot and would be a good next step to take.

Should I just go with the buttkicker, and if so which one? Or should I make my own or skip it all together?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Harminoff posted:

So I actually built a pretty nice pvc rig with a car seat and whatnot and really enjoy it but want to expand on it. Does anyone here have any experience with a buttkicker? It seems like it would add a lot and would be a good next step to take.

Should I just go with the buttkicker, and if so which one? Or should I make my own or skip it all together?

I don't have a buttkicker on my racing seat but I have one on my couch and it's pretty awesome. Mine's a ghettoed together setup with an ebay "speaker" unit being powered by an old car stereo amplifier running off a hacked PC power supply. I'd recommend going a few notches more professional than that.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

just hire a hobo to kick you in the rear end whenever you crash, you'll save a lot of money.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I just eat some beans and fart when appropriate

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

rF2 dev update this month has some interesting things in. Mentions an unannounced McLaren GT car which I'd expect to be either the 570 GT4 or 650S GT3. There's a Radical SR3 coming alongside the SR9, and the Formula 2 car is finally getting a physics and graphics update. Though it now looks even more out of place as Formula 2 is a thing again and this car around 6 years old now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Harminoff posted:

I have one!
I got the Gamer 2 because it came as a kit and I didn't know wtf I was doing.
I cannot recommend them enough. It seems like a gimmick but it really isn't. It adds a lot to any game and music too, I have mine on all the time.
Feeling a big V8 under you is so cool and in stuff like iracing it helps me know I hit the apex / rumble strip. It's added so much to my gaming that I could never do without one now.
It's fantastic in Elite too, adds a lot to that game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thinking about finally picking up a wheel and the OP is 2016 so I'm asking here. Clutch mandatory, shifter would be nice. Can't go for something super-expensive and I don't have space for any advanced cockpit shift, but from the Forza thread I'm getting the impression I should at least go belt-drive. Fanatec is probably hard to find in Norway, but they're probably real expensive too?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You want a fanatec or thrustmaster but if you want a shifter and clutch pedal you're spending around $600 US (whatever that is in NOK)

You can get a Logitech g920/g29 (g920 is for Xbox one, g29 is for PS3/4, both work on PC) and a shifter for $400 US but they are of lower quality.

A Logitech g27 with shifter may be found used for around $300.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fanatec put a huge markup on their stuff in Europe supposedly for tax reasons but more likely because Euros will pay more. Though Fanatec are becoming known for mechanical failures and lovely customer service. Your best bet (as always) is a G27 if you can find one as that's the only wheel that comes with a 3-pedal set and a shifter, but the G29/G920 has dropped in price massively so getting that and the seperate shifter is a perfectly viable alternative. Those are both gear drives though so for belt drive you're gonna want a Thrustmaster, the TX is probably best for Forza as it's the Xbox one (the T300 is the PS4 version of effectively the same wheel), but you'll need to get the T3PA pedals as well if a clutch pedal is mandatory for you. Most places will bundle the wheel and pedals as a deal though and you might be able to find a deal on the TH8A shifter as well. To be honest wheel advice doesn't change much because new wheels don't come out that often, the advice for people looking to buy a wheel in 2017 is pretty much the same as the advice from 2012.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Playing on PC, and planning on using it for AC, Dirt and Project Cars in addition to Forza.

And does this mean that this guy is not entirely right ( in regards to pedals being extremely meh etc.)?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Horizon games are just not fun with a wheel. Too much stupid driving means you just wear out your wrists as you wrestle the 9 billionth skid/drift that occurs in the first 5 minutes of driving anywhere, and when you hit garbage head on and come to a dead stop it's really abrupt and feels like it's hard on the wheel, and then you have to unwind the 4 rotations of lock you just put in to try and save whatever you were doing before you crashed.

G27 is fine as a basic wheel but won't work on an Xbone, but now that these games work on PC that hardly matters. The pedals are extremely meh.

The Thrustmaster and Fanatec offerings (are a little more money, possibly a lot more money in North Korean Un-Dollars, I assume that's what NOK is) but are considerably better w/r/t the driving feel. Logitechs all feel very notchy since they're gear driven instead of belt driven, but you will certainly have a perfectly good time with a Logitech.

A used G25 in good condition might be the best buy (also possibly hard to find in other countries) because it's the exact same wheel internals as the G27 but minus a couple face buttons on the wheel. However, it does gain a switchable sequential shifter as well as H pattern, whereas the G27 only has the H pattern type.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Playing on PC, and planning on using it for AC, Dirt and Project Cars in addition to Forza.

And does this mean that this guy is not entirely right ( in regards to pedals being extremely meh etc.)?

No he's right

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The g920/g29 are the same internals as the g25 and g27 with new design for the wheel itself but it's still the same pedals and mostly the same plastic toy like shifter.

The Logitech are fine for what they are and fanatec are great but they used to have a low end range that was still great and less expensive but that's no longer a thing anymore.

I have a thrustmaster t300, T3PA pro pedals, and a TH8A shifter. Thrustmaster is a French company so it's possible that they get up to the same shenanigans with prices as fanatec.

There's just no good cheap wheel option like their used to be with the Fanatec CSR series.

If used is ok look for Fanatec CSR wheels or their older Porsche series of wheels. Those are great and can probably be found for the same price as a used g27.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
They're not the worst but require some sort of modding to make the most out of them (progressive springs, load cell).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You're spending at least 300 bucks for a decent set of pedals. The pedals that came with the TX I had blew.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Logitech pedals have the advantage that they're so common that people have come up with all kinds of mods to make them better. The most common being the GTEye spring mod which is a set of 3 heavier duty springs to replace the fairly weak ones the pedals have by default. Mostly to give the brake pedal more of a resistance curve. They're pretty cheap as well at $70 for a complete set or $30 for just the brake. I've never heard anyone say anything good about the 2-pedal sets that come with most Thrustmaster wheels.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I have a load cell in my g29, then I moved the clutch spring into the gas, break into the clutch. The g29 does get clunky feeling as it is a gear driven system, but it works well enough. In Iracing I have to use my FFB at 15 and even then extended play time makes my shoulders tired.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have the Fanatec CSR I think, the one that was marketed as being for Forza or whatever right? Thats my wheel. The wheel itself is pretty awesome (though I don't have much to compare it to) and I remember the shifter being ok (A little cheap feeling but whatever). The real issue were the pedals. Gas and Brake were fine, but clutch worked like 15% of the time for no discernible reason. I eventually just stopped using the clutch cause it would work so infrequently.

All this talk of wheels makes me want to break it out and slap it on the desk or something but my wife will probably kill me if i bring more poo poo into our cramped living quarters.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Thing is, I don't have a license and I have no previous experience with wheels, so if the used G27 I'm looking at with three pedals and a stick will give me a good time it's not out of the question maybe?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes a g27 will make driving games more enjoyable

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The G29 is a completely serviceable entry point and if and when you do decide to upgrade these wheels seem to never depreciate in value. You can barely find old G27s for less than $300 these days.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The G27 I'm looking at is $235 with everything included, bought three years ago, only tested never used.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You should buy that

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Just be prepared to go down the rabbit hole of sim racing cost.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wheels usually hold their value pretty well, so you can probably eBay a G27/G29 in a year or two if you want to upgrade to something nicer.

I wouldn't shell out a shitload of money starting off in case you find that you don't actually use it that much. I loved driving with a wheel but I hated spending minutes setting it up and tearing it down since I didn't have a permanent spot for it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Just be prepared to go down the rabbit hole of sim racing cost.

:suicide:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Alright I'm loving doing it let's go

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Really worst case is you sell it for what you paid.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I might as well post too since it's the topic of the day. My G29 from Amazon should be arriving today. I've played a lot of Gran Turismo and Forza in the past, and I've got PCARS and Dirt Rally on Steam already. Eventually I want to give iRacing a shot. What advice or guides or tutorials or whatever would you guys recommend for a PC racing sim novice?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Stay out of GT3

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FBS posted:

I might as well post too since it's the topic of the day. My G29 from Amazon should be arriving today. I've played a lot of Gran Turismo and Forza in the past, and I've got PCARS and Dirt Rally on Steam already. Eventually I want to give iRacing a shot. What advice or guides or tutorials or whatever would you guys recommend for a PC racing sim novice?

Watch Going Faster, Surviving Rookies, and Empty Box's Sim Racing 101 series.

Norns posted:

Stay out of GT3

Also this.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Assetto Corsa has pretty decent well organized leagues on reddit and other places if you want a taste of online stuff first without getting on the iRacing treadmill.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I also like the handling more in AC vs iRacing for road.

Doesn't get better than iRacing if ovals are in your future tho

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah sadly iracing is really the only option for ovals. You can get like 3 months for $5 though so pretty cheap to try it out.

Just turn on the line assist and run a ton of practice before jumping into a race.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Just remember this golden rule of iRacing in rookie leagues: When you're going good and driving clean, someone in front of you is going to hit a wall or hit the car next to them and take you out. Just try to avoid it as best as you can and go back into the pit, get repairs and just finish the race, you'll probaby finisher higher than you started.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah good rule to start is don't try to win or place well, just take it easy and avoid contact. Doing that and you actually should still place well as a large amount of people will be out of the race.

See someone behind you? Just move over and let them pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Dont go off your line to let people pass. It's bad for everyone involved