Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
forget it, jake. it's the suck zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Andrew Cockburn's essay on the Democratic Party in Harpers is now un-paywalled ------> Letters from Washington: It's My Party.

Andrew Cockburn posted:

Former members of the Obama Administration had confirmed that the president hoped to block an Ellison victory. “He wanted to stop the Sanders wing of the party from taking over,” one such official told me. That was certainly the view of Jeff Weaver, the Vermont senator’s former campaign manager. “The sole reason Perez is running is to stop Ellison,” he told me angrily. “He has no platform of his own.”

Clearly, Ellison and the pro-Sanders movement supporting him (which reportedly helped to raise $1 million for the effort) represented a threat to powerful interests. Remarks by the Minnesota congressman and Muslim convert on the topics of Palestine and Islam had elicited angry warnings from Haim Saban, the media mogul and philanthropist who once forked over $7 million to help rebuild the D.N.C. headquarters in Washington and told the New York Times, “I’m a one-issue guy, and my issue is Israel.” Ellison, Saban warned, “would be a disaster for the relationship between the Jewish community and the Democratic Party.”

Now, on a Saturday morning in Atlanta, the campaign for chairman was reaching its climax. On a distant stage, beyond a roped-off enclosure corralling the 447 members of the D.N.C., the candidates and their supporters were addressing the crowd, pledging to rebuild the party at the state level and reconnect with voters and local communities. Behind the scenes, or at least out of sight of the rank and file, party heavyweights were employing more hard-nosed tactics.

“I saw it,” Jane Kleeb, leader of the Nebraska Democratic Party and a firm Ellison supporter, told me later. Former governors and senators were calling “state chairs and officers who had votes and saying, ‘We really need you to go with Team Perez.’?” The tactics were sometimes brutal. I myself heard that the Iowa delegation flipped to Perez in response to threats that the state would otherwise be stripped of its treasured status as the first to vote in presidential nomination contests. Even so, the Ellison camp appeared confident: the night before, they had been telling supporters that they were within five votes of victory. (The Perez camp had been making the same claim.) For anyone paying attention, however, the ultimate result had been clear since earlier that morning, when the party reaffirmed its faith in big money.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The dickbutt thing is still really funny in 2017 haha please upvote if you agree

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Hey hey, ho ho, Dems suck.

https://harpers.org/archive/2017/07/its-my-party/

Skip to the end for YARD SIGNS!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The dickbutt thing is still really funny in 2017 haha please upvote if you agree

thnx for your monthly high quality post Goetta see you this time in July

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GalacticAcid posted:

Andrew Cockburn's essay on the Democratic Party in Harpers is now un-paywalled ------> Letters from Washington: It's My Party.

the iowa delegation wasn't threatened, they just formed a coalition and went with the candidate they thought was most likely to win in exchange for the promise iowa's status would not be messed with. it was all their idea

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

♫and I'll cry if I want to♫
♫Cry if I want to, cry if I want to♫
♫You would cry too if it happened to you♫

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if the democrats fall, there should be written on their tombstone: "died of pragmatism"

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

quote:

Like the Kansas district, Georgia’s Sixth had been electing Republicans for years. This time around, however, the D.N.C. gave the long-shot Democrat its blessing, not least because he attracted astonishing sums of money: more than $8 million two and a half weeks before the vote (to the immense gratification of the local election-industrial complex). With the money came a slew of high-powered Democratic consultants, who, as such people tend to do, cautioned Ossoff to hew to the political center—advising him, for example, to stay away from the Women’s March on January 21. (He had the good sense to ignore this advice.) Equally tellingly, they cautioned him against investing in yard signs, thus following election-industry wisdom that dismisses such cheap campaign tools as unscientific.

Becky Bond, a driving force behind the grassroots Sanders campaign in 2016, calls this mentality “small organizing.” As she writes in Rules for Revolutionaries, campaign professionals have used voter-modeling data to “?‘microtarget’ tiny slices of the electorate in the hopes that winning these segments would add up to a narrow majority.” As a result, Bond argues, fewer and fewer people participate in elections, because the changes promised are too small to be worth anyone’s time, leading campaigners in turn to lower their expectations of how many will come out and vote.

The voices that urged Ossoff to stay away from the Women’s March—presumably out of fear of offending Republican swing voters—and to skip the yard signs definitely sound like small organizers. The counterblast came from Jen Cox, a real estate agent in Marietta. With no previous political experience, Cox cofounded ­PaveItBlue, one of many such groups that have sprung up in the district, and which now has two thousand members working the streets.

She recalled how Ossoff wonkishly informed her that “the data” decreed yard signs ineffective. In response, she told the candidate that if he didn’t “reach us up here on an emotional level and give us hope, we have a hard time getting engaged. If you put signs out, we feel that someone is paying attention, and that our voice matters and our votes matter. We haven’t seen yard signs that weren’t Republican in decades.” Gearing up for the June runoff, Cox said, “The energy here is electric.” Her message was clear: “We are here. And no Republican seats are safe.”

YARD SIGNS ARE UNSCIENTIFICALLY AVOIDING THE WOMEN'S MARCH TO THE RADICAL CENTER!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Died guarding their cave full of political capital treasure.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Aurubin posted:

Hey hey, ho ho, Dems suck.

https://harpers.org/archive/2017/07/its-my-party/

Skip to the end for YARD SIGNS!

wow there's a good number of grifters like becky bond in that article

(becky was one of the people who dramatically quit mid-campaign and she, along with zack exley, are persona non-grata among many sanders staffers after running an out-of-state program into the ground and then subsequently claiming to be gurus who built it all for bernie)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The article just reaffirms what I thought was pretty common knowledge, specifically that a large number of voters are increasingly turned off by corporate money candidates and that Dem consultants are pure garbage.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

wow there's a good number of grifters like becky bond in that article

(becky was one of the people who dramatically quit mid-campaign and she, along with zack exley, are persona non-grata among many sanders staffers after running an out-of-state program into the ground and then subsequently claiming to be gurus who built it all for bernie)

Despite the fact that the voice reading this in my head was interminably smug, let's agree that out of state consultants, gurus, or whatever synonym you want to use should be nuked in favor of finding random local people stupid/crazy enough to get into red state Dem politics and building your organization off of that.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Aurubin posted:

Despite the fact that the voice reading this in my head was interminably smug, let's agree that out of state consultants, gurus, or whatever synonym you want to use should be nuked in favor of finding random local people stupid/crazy enough to get into red state Dem politics and building your organization off of that.

no

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Worried about your employment prospects?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Aurubin posted:

Worried about your employment prospects?

feeling pretty good about them, actually.

most local groups are just extremely bad.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
david brock bought me my account

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Aurubin posted:

You want Joe Manchins? Cause that's how you get Joe Manchins.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

lol nice job quoting the least important part of that entire article

Obama and the party establishment totally ignoring unexpectedly close races? nah, who cares

a majority of DNC delegates voting against a proposal to reinstate the ban on corporate money? meh, who wants to hear about that

the head of the Nebraska Dem Party talking in detail about exactly how little support she receives from the national party, and describing exactly when the wave of consultants and data addicts swept away all the on-the-ground efforts? not interested

OFA staying independent of the party apparatus and refusing to share info or money with it? that couldn't possibly be significant

progressive lobby groups talking about what issues they're currently focusing on and what tactics they're using? don't bother the suck zone with crap like that

analysis of the 2017 special elections but from a progressive perspective? booooring

pro-Perez DNCers lobbying other DNCers to vote for Perez? there's the real scandal

gently caress, there's even a bit talking about sukzone's favorite subject, yard signs:

quote:

With the money came a slew of high-powered Democratic consultants, who, as such people tend to do, cautioned Ossoff to hew to the political center—advising him, for example, to stay away from the Women’s March on January 21. (He had the good sense to ignore this advice.) Equally tellingly, they cautioned him against investing in yard signs, thus following election-industry wisdom that dismisses such cheap campaign tools as unscientific.

Becky Bond, a driving force behind the grassroots Sanders campaign in 2016, calls this mentality “small organizing.” As she writes in Rules for Revolutionaries, campaign professionals have used voter-modeling data to “?‘microtarget’ tiny slices of the electorate in the hopes that winning these segments would add up to a narrow majority.” As a result, Bond argues, fewer and fewer people participate in elections, because the changes promised are too small to be worth anyone’s time, leading campaigners in turn to lower their expectations of how many will come out and vote.

The voices that urged Ossoff to stay away from the Women’s March—presumably out of fear of offending Republican swing voters—and to skip the yard signs definitely sound like small organizers. The counterblast came from Jen Cox, a real estate agent in Marietta. With no previous political experience, Cox cofounded ­PaveItBlue, one of many such groups that have sprung up in the district, and which now has two thousand members working the streets.

She recalled how Ossoff wonkishly informed her that “the data” decreed yard signs ineffective. In response, she told the candidate that if he didn’t “reach us up here on an emotional level and give us hope, we have a hard time getting engaged. If you put signs out, we feel that someone is paying attention, and that our voice matters and our votes matter. We haven’t seen yard signs that weren’t Republican in decades.”

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

david brock bought me my account

Don't lie about whose accounts I bought

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Obama and the party establishment totally ignoring unexpectedly close races? nah, who cares

Seems they're all-in in GA-06, the only actually winnable red district special election.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

most local groups are just extremely bad.

Don't be so down on yourself.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
john bel edwards 2020

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
blue lives matter

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Don't be so down on yourself.

what

was this supposed to be a burn

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You all loving suck.

There.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Group

given that the local group contains humanity, i think this checks out

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
imagine being passionate about a piece of plastic with a candidate's name on it

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Man lot of posts happening while I type that pithy garbage.

Anyway lol at the obstinate yard sign disses after Hillary ate poo poo

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It's a symbol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the iowa delegation wasn't threatened, they just formed a coalition and went with the candidate they thought was most likely to win in exchange for the promise iowa's status would not be messed with. it was all their idea

mods plz rename cc to jay sukulow

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if the democrats fall, there should be written on their tombstone: "died of pragmatism"

Here I lay,
bones and offal,
Tried to lead
but only waffled

Serf
May 5, 2011

cc has been trollin this thread for months and people still don't get it

smh

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Imagine being passionate about anything. No, really, I wish to understand this emotion. Also you should triangulate your talking points while looking at marginal swing voters in the suburbs. *chokes on avocado toast, dies ignominiously*

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Serf posted:

smh

His gimmick is that every once in a while he says something mildly redeemable

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

your av isn't very shy

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

smh

This is my mental equivalent of punching a pillow while I worry if/when the grant that funds my job gets axed.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Aurubin posted:

Imagine being passionate about anything. No, really, I wish to understand this emotion. Also you should triangulate your talking points while looking at marginal swing voters in the suburbs. *chokes on avocado toast, dies ignominiously*

yes it would be awful if instead of spending money on a sign with the candidate's name on them, you instead endeavored to actually speak to that voter about your candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

His gimmick is that every once in a while he says something mildly redeemable

hmm

no

• Locked thread