Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

rudatron posted:

Only bourgie liberals give two shits about anachronistic conspicuous consumption (eg - the idiots who still buy vinyl because they enjoy the sound of the placebo effect).

That market is still going to exist so people are always going to be in retail, even if there's less of them.

DC Murderverse posted:

You're not entirely wrong about this particular aspect, but "The Industry" is definitely responsible for you not being paid enough and the general lack of respect for retail/service workers because if no one respects them, then they don't have to be paid very much. lovely people are going to be lovely but they'll be shittier to people who they don't respect, and to whom they feel they can be lovely, and the company has a vested interest in keeping respect level low so you have idiots out there against a minimum wage increase because "people who work at McDonalds don't deserve more money". If we treated working in the service industry as a normal goddamn job like a plumber or a miner or a factory worker, there would be less assholes in general (though definitely not none, and because of the customer facing nature of the service industry there would still be plenty of assholes, like you said).

I'd rather have to deal with individual lovely people than an entire lovely entity, especially if the latter is basically in control of my life. I deal with lovely people but there are also good people out there. I never deal with the occasional good retail industry because there is only one and it sucks, out loud, full time. The retail industry needs to be razed so we can build it up from scratch, because it's only going to get bigger as the years go on.

Yeah I'm pretty sure store management not telling people to gently caress off when they scream at their employees, act like 6 year olds so they can get free poo poo and otherwise act like horrible human beings is the reason it keeps happening. There's dealing with the public and then there's dealing with the "I want to speak to a manager" rear end in a top hat.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It also doesn't help that we've trained American consumers to act like horrible jerks because it gets them free stuff. If you complain enough you'll get a discount, something free, or whatever. I can't tell you the number of times back when I worked in a restaurant that people would come in, eat every bite of food, tell the people at the table how good it was, then complain at the register to get it comped or get sent home with a free pie. Granted a lot of it is just the societal stuff mentioned; retail folks are beneath everybody else.

Begging for free poo poo is the worst. I went to dinner once like 5 years ago with my dad and they messed up my order, but I was cool with what they brought anyway so I told them don't worry about it and my dad was furious because he wanted to bitch so he could get some free food. This may just be confirmation bias, but it always seems like it's boomers who do this poo poo, and not the younger generation because the majority of us have worked a lovely retail/food service job at least once in our life and know how awful it is.

axeil fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Japan has a bunch of circumstances (service employee shortage, extremely high retail space costs and a coin-centric cash-culture) which make vending machines more lucrative than in other countries. I wouldn't count on them making a big return splash in the West just yet.

I've always thought the biggest issue is that random vending machines on the city streets here would be vandalized or broken almost instantly.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I've always thought the biggest issue is that random vending machines on the city streets here would be vandalized or broken almost instantly.

No problem. Just go to the vending machine vending machine and buy a new vending machine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Automation isn't what's killing off having a good waitress. Being a good server is pretty drat hard work and takes a hard worker to actually do it and chances are you do it because of the tips. You can make decent money in the right place if you're good at the job. All the restaurant world sees is that the minimum wage is $2.83/hour so they've been heaping more and more side work on the waitstaff. They're required to make up the difference if you end up at less than minimum wage but that'd doesn't really matter; if you make any tips at all they're paying you less than the actual minimum wage for anybody else.

The sole and only reason you do it for tips is because outside of fine dining (at the level where tipping is considered gauche) nearly every restaurant is too goddamn cheap to pay their help properly for the value they add to the business. Full stop.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 19, 2017

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

That market is still going to exist so people are always going to be in retail, even if there's less of them.

Yeah I'm pretty sure store management not telling people to gently caress off when they scream at their employees, act like 6 year olds so they can get free poo poo and otherwise act like horrible human beings is the reason it keeps happening. There's dealing with the public and then there's dealing with the "I want to speak to a manager" rear end in a top hat.

Begging for free poo poo is the worst. I went to dinner once like 5 years ago with my dad and they messed up my order, but I was cool with what they brought anyway so I told them don't worry about it and my dad was furious because he wanted to bitch so he could get some free food. This may just be confirmation bias, but it always seems like it's boomers who do this poo poo, and not the younger generation because the majority of us have worked a lovely retail/food service job at least once in our life and know how awful it is.

That and as people get older they get resentful and want to take it out on someone because how dare you waste what little time I have left with simple mistakes

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

rudatron posted:

(eg - the idiots who still buy vinyl because they enjoy the sound of the placebo effect).

Should they instead be paying to license digital goods? Or perhaps trade their bloodwork and full medical history for 20 minutes per day in which they can listen to whatever* they want?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Avalanche posted:

Picking cotton bare handed is a more meaningful existence.

Would you mind telling us what hell-hole you worked in so none of us ever shop at that particular business? I've had some terrible retail gigs in my life but 3 minute bathroom breaks god drat.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It also doesn't help that we've trained American consumers to act like horrible jerks because it gets them free stuff. If you complain enough you'll get a discount, something free, or whatever. I can't tell you the number of times back when I worked in a restaurant that people would come in, eat every bite of food, tell the people at the table how good it was, then complain at the register to get it comped or get sent home with a free pie.
A friend of mine was a teacher and would go out to eat with one of his co-workers when they attended conventions (back when this was a thing). Said co-worker was one of the types you've described.

They went to San Francisco to a restaurant that was run by one of their former students. Said student loved my friend and treated them to a gorgeous dinner.

And of course said co-worker couldn't help himself and pulled his usual, "Eat nearly everything then complain for a refund" shtick.

In another instance, he took my friend's generous tip leaving a pittance. The waitress ran after them to give it back to them, sarcastically telling they must need the money more than she did.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Most stores have already cut front-end to the bone, and self-checkout tech is trash right now with the scales that need human intervention half of the time.

The only way it's going to become more efficient is with technological or procedural changes, the lowest-hanging fruit is probably customer bagging and possibly even a bring-your-own-bag policy. Beyond that is full-cart checkout tickets, kiosks, and the return of the catalog/showroom store.

Most retailers are lazy as gently caress about changing their point-of-sale tech though, whereas Amazon clearly couldn't be more excited.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My local Ikea put in self service checkouts and it went about as well as you can image people trying to self checkout with pieces of loving huge multi-box furniture and household goods where you cannot spell or pronounce the name.

They ended up ripping them all out six months later.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Avalanche posted:

Cashier jobs need to be automated. I've done the whole 8-10 hour cashier gig when I was younger and I would not wish that kind of hell onto anyone. There are the rare oddballs that love that kind of job, but if you value any kind brain growth like learning new things, or even just experiencing variety in life, then that job will suck the life force completely out of you.

You stand in your little enclosure for the whole day asking people the same loving questions and making the same exact muscle movements over and over and over and over again. You always have this constant cloud of anxiety hanging over you if the line gets too long, or someone takes "too long" to get their card out to pay because it directly effects your "Speed Score" numbers. If you are too slow because of helping a lil old lady or whatever and your score drops below 95%, then you get your rear end chewed by management. Even if you explain to management the clear and rational reasons behind your lower score, they will still literally tell you poo poo like "Well, you should of MOTIVATED the 'guest' to get her money out faster" or even "Well, you should of just took her wallet and pulled her credit card out yourself". If things are slow and there are no 'guests', you are expected to 'zone' aka company sanctioned obsessive compulsive disorder development and straighten out random poo poo on the shelves. If it's already straight and symmetrical well too bad because it could always be more symmetrical.

Your cashier station is never close enough to fellow co-workers and chronic understaffing typically means being busy all the time so you never get to socialize or talk to other fellow humans beyond the company script you must blurt out to all the 'guests' over and over again. You must stand at attention at all times because sitting implies that you are lazy and uncaring about the guest's purchases. You are not allowed to have a bottle of water or keep a bottle of water with you at your Gulag station without a loving doctor's note because taking sips of water implies that you are lazy and uncaring about the guest's purchases. You must always treat the guest in highest regard and basically complement them on any and all of their purchases much like a teacher would complement a student for getting an A on a quiz.

May God help you if you have to step away and take a poo poo. You get about 3min of bathroom time before management starts texting you on your phone asking what's taking so long and if you can hurry up and poo faster. Sometimes management will walk near/into the employee bathroom to 'verify' that you indeed took a poo poo and were not just texting on your phone or shooting up heroin or planning to start a Union.

Picking cotton bare handed is a more meaningful existence.

Truth.

I worked in retail. I remember having a conversation with a co-worker once. Within a minute of actually having a humanizing talk with this person I saw daily but never got to know, my shift supervisor huffed over to us and said 'if you have time to lean, you've got time to clean.' And that was the end of that.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

But yeah, the work hours here are confusing, because people work so many hours, but things go so slowly.

Especially in retail, its weird to think I've gotten used to thinking of a 5 person line as being a short line. And the grocery stores close at 10 PM. All of these work hours, but still things are so inefficient.

That is worth a thread all its own. Labor and labor laws here are so incredibly dumb.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

FCKGW posted:

My local Ikea put in self service checkouts and it went about as well as you can image people trying to self checkout with pieces of loving huge multi-box furniture and household goods where you cannot spell or pronounce the name.

Costco tried something similar a few years back, with similar results.

Interestingly, both stores benefit from a little bit of friction at checkout - just enough to make people plan a trip and expect to spend significant time and money. Once people are expecting to drop $100+, it's a lot easier to make the $12 impulse sale on frozen meatballs or a set of nesting food containers. At peak times, they need trained operators to keep things moving; at non-peak times, they don't want you to come by just to grab one thing and zip through self checkout.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

FCKGW posted:

I thought stores already did this is you used their in-store wifi (which is what this patent covers).

Coinicentally, whenever I'm at my local Lowes and try to check pricing at Home Depot, the website frequently times out :tinfoil:

Also, very clever of Amazon to patent this and then not allow anyone to license it so no one can implement the technology to block price checking.

Best Buy got railed for this around 06/07. It was something at a store level we were somewhat aware of. People would come in w print outs from .com and we'd have to do some tricks to access the outside BBY.com site and verify the price. This would not go over well

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

I think people underestimate in general how much of a learned process the steps to buying something is. A constant I have noticed while traveling is that it's not just that I can't speak the language that makes it hard to buy things or go to restaurants the first few times, but that it takes a while to literally figure out what the process even is. Like we are all so efficient at buying things and checking out not because the process we use is super intuitive but because we do it every single day for years and years. Learning literally any new process will take a few tries good or bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The self-checkout lines at the grocery store have quantitatively proven that the slowest customers and those with the purchases that would be the most impractical to self-checkout are the people most drawn to the self-checkout line.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The self checkout at my local supermarket is always super speedy. All the olds who can't figure it out or normal people with a lot of produce go to the humans, people with just a few things they can quick scan go to the automated ones. For the 4 automated tills there's usually a single staff member sort of overseeing them and overriding things as needed. It goes fast.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The self-checkout lines at the grocery store have quantitatively proven that the slowest customers and those with the purchases that would be the most impractical to self-checkout are the people most drawn to the self-checkout line.

yeah, a certain type of old is drawn to the self-checkout to prove something to themselves, and they stand there myopically peering at the screens and querolously debating with the helpers over mundane details ("can I come back to collect the points? Because I've forgotten my card!"), meanwhile the middle-aged white guy next to her raises an onion into the air and bellows, "there's no code for this!!" (as if he has heroically and single-handedly discovered a glaring flaw in a new system he is deeply suspicious of), and has to be walked through the menu like a dog through an obstacle course. Pretty sure we can do away with all intelligence testing and just watch people navigate a self-checkout kiosk.

When they first came out I collected a ton of free money in forgotten change before they installed helpers who now keep an eye, specifically, on this, but you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce. This works for bakery items too if you like bagels but prefer the cost of dinner rolls.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Heliogabalos posted:

When they first came out I collected a ton of free money in forgotten change before they installed helpers who now keep an eye, specifically, on this, but you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce. This works for bakery items too if you like bagels but prefer the cost of dinner rolls.

This is theft btw. It isn't clever, it isn't one weird trick, it's just theft.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can save even more money on organic produce by not being gullible enough to think it's better.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I remember getting stopped at a roadblock once in Japan while driving a friend's car (with no license and having just left a bar, not drunk, but almost definitely above the Japanese limit) that had been set up because a vending machine nearby had been burgled and they were asking everyone in the area if they'd seen anything. I played dumb and pretended not to understand or speak Japanese while the cop spoke past me to my friend in the passenger seat. They take that poo poo seriously there. Here you'd be lucky if you could get the police out to take a report on something like that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

You can save even more money on organic produce by not being gullible enough to think it's better.

Oh goodie - who will come forth to debate the mighty Fishmech this time? Which champion among you will prove himself on the board of valor this eve?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mozi posted:

Oh goodie - who will come forth to debate the mighty Fishmech this time? Which champion among you will prove himself on the board of valor this eve?

Fishmech is right.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
tbf organic is worse than fishmech, because only one of these exists in the real world

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Eating pesticide covered produce made me gullible

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

got any sevens posted:

You know that organic produce uses pesticides, right? Just different, more 'poisonous to humans' pesticides.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the organic label still isn't even regulated by the fda or usda iirc. It can be processed in any way.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think there can be an argument that buying "organic" is good if only to show market demand, but only for animals.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you want placebo effect, stressed plants produce better flavors or more protein i.e. wheat but there's no actual correlation to organic and the practice of stressing a plant, although a layman's understanding appears to make that connection.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Peachfart posted:

This is theft btw. It isn't clever, it isn't one weird trick, it's just theft.

:lol:

yeah, no, despite your pearl clutching. also I don't live in the US, I live in a country where the term organic is legislated and regulated

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Heliogabalos posted:

yeah, no, despite your pearl clutching. also I don't live in the US, I live in a country where the term organic is legislated and regulated

It actually is theft. The statute is called "theft by deception" and pretty much every country has one.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Heliogabalos posted:

wtf?

No it is definitely theft, and you are a shithead!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey guys I found a cool trick for saving money, I just shove poo poo into my pockets and then walk out without paying it's totally cool because, like, they didn't even ask me to pay for it or anything, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

got any sevens posted:

Organic uses tons of pesticides. They're just pesticides that existed before like 1925 so they're "ok".

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the organic label still isn't even regulated by the fda or usda iirc. It can be processed in any way.

No, USDA Organic label is in fact regulated by the USDA. The thing is following all those rules is still meaningless.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
An organic cake is healthier than a GMO carrot.

Sometimes I scan carrots and then put a cake on the scale. Then it sells me cake at just 69 nice cents a pound. one weird trick!

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
can I just claim I made a mistake even if the chronically underpaid staff discovered I inputted the incorrect code for excessively overpriced produce? yes
would I ever be charged? no
everything else: a bloo-bloo self-righteous bootlicking

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

here's another dumb gently caress tip for you: buy a single gummy worm and weight it with the self checkout, it'll round to 0.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

PT6A posted:

Hey guys I found a cool trick for saving money, I just shove poo poo into my pockets and then walk out without paying it's totally cool because, like, they didn't even ask me to pay for it or anything, right?

I just keep track of every mark up they make and appropriate just enough to offset that amount on the things I purchase. Just like capitalism intended.

:wotwot:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The death of retail will be literal fire sales. One weird trick to get things at a discount is to firebomb warehouses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Heliogabalos posted:

can I just claim I made a mistake even if the chronically underpaid staff discovered I inputted the incorrect code for excessively overpriced produce? yes
would I ever be charged? no
everything else: a bloo-bloo self-righteous bootlicking

Do you enjoy torturing small woodland creatures too?