Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I made a 30k power fist sargeant, I think he's sweet as hell so I'm putting him here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

I made a 30k power fist sargeant, I think he's sweet as hell so I'm putting him here too.

Awesome, but he needs to be pointing the gun down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nah that crushed guy is cooked. He doesn't even give a gently caress about him.

I did think about it and felt like it was more baller to leave him there yelling and reaching out helplessly while firing bolt rounds at some other nerd.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Chutche post a picture of your cleaned up Terminators now

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Some previews from the IG Imperial Armour Index thing:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Rad as gently caress. What legion? Also, please post pics once it's painted.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Kreig steeds have claws?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Time to remount them on Cold Ones...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

Kreig steeds have claws?

I think they're more like pointed hooves.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Space horses have space hooves.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Think I nailed down the blue and red for my Crimson Fists:

I definitely wanted some green in the blue and this worked out really well after going through a half dozen different blues. I tried to keep the red relatively muted with just a bit of pop on the real sharp edges.

I think I can paint my Primaris now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Holy poo poo. That's loving terrifying.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

bonds0097 posted:

I definitely wanted some green in the blue and this worked out really well after going through a half dozen different blues. I tried to keep the red relatively muted with just a bit of pop on the real sharp edges.

Lookin pretty good. What blues are you using? I'm contemplating rebasing or just repainting the bases on my Crimson Fists to match my other models.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

Looks good!

What are you guys planning to use for Primaris shoulder insignia? My FLGS and others are recommending the stuff on shapeways. Anyone done an Imperial / Crimson Fist Primaris with these yet?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HZN8LXRY3/60x-kings-fist-shoulder-insignia-pack?optionId=62861945

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Looks good!

What are you guys planning to use for Primaris shoulder insignia? My FLGS and others are recommending the stuff on shapeways. Anyone done an Imperial / Crimson Fist Primaris with these yet?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HZN8LXRY3/60x-kings-fist-shoulder-insignia-pack?optionId=62861945

I'm planning on buying their not-Blood Ravens and not-Templars bits for my Primaris bros, if I get to them first I'll give a trip report.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Because it makes you look foolish. If you want something to go away you never respond to it. You ignore the comment, regardless of how tempting it is to defend yourself, and focus on what you want to talk about. Every time you respond to someone you are validating that person. Your reply is a clear indication that they got to you and that whatever they posted is important to you. I'm doing the same thing right now by posting this very message, because frankly I'm tired of how easily the thread gets derailed when people get under your skin.

Please keep posting battle reports. Those are great.

If you're tired of the thread being derailed, be tired at the 10 people instigating and not the 1 person responding.

panascope posted:

Chutche post a picture of your cleaned up Terminators now

I don't have access to a decent camera at home.

I put a little bit of earthshade on the cloth but think I do need to go out and get a better wash for it soon.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 19, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Consider doing that wash around the rivets on the silver trim pieces as well. Make em look all rusty.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

panascope posted:

Consider doing that wash around the rivets on the silver trim pieces as well. Make em look all rusty.

Yeah I'll try it. I was being cautious with my trim because with it being such thin pieces there's not a lot of room to wash and highlight them. I've got a motor control problem that makes super fine detail work a chore.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 19, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there a painting guide for the Dark Imperium Death Guard? I'm grabbing my box later today and want to get paints at the same time.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

Is there a painting guide for the Dark Imperium Death Guard? I'm grabbing my box later today and want to get paints at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Yg2ukwpTo

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
All of the forgeworld stuff I've seen seems way more powerful than standard book units with similar power ratings.* It seems like there's a definite disconnect between the team writing the rules for FW and the team writing the core rules.

*Except Tyranids

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

*Except Tyranids

The more things change...

Is the FW Xenos index leaked yet?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

SRM posted:

Lookin pretty good. What blues are you using? I'm contemplating rebasing or just repainting the bases on my Crimson Fists to match my other models.

Ended up with Reaper Solid Blue HD as basecoat, with a highlight of Winter Blue HD from above. I'd originally zenithaled but used a different blue before covering w/ Solid Blue so zenithal effect was lost. First highlight is VGC Hawk Turquoise and then a 2nd highlight on sharpest edges/corners of VGC Wolf Grey.

The red is Reaper Crimson Red HD then layered after wash with Reaper Clotted Red and a smaller highlight of Carnage Red. Final highlight on the sharpest bits with VGC Hot Orange.

Everything was washed (pin wash for armor, more of a glaze for the tabard) with a 1:1:1 mixture of wood, blue and red ink from Scale75, which I think helps unify the blue and red.

I'll be painting up a full intercessor squad next and should be cool with all the additional details.

Haven't decided yet if I want to do white or silver for the aquilas or a mix of both. Probably silver because I just think it looks cooler.

Looks good!

Just placed an order for those exact insignia today. Also have some instant mold coming in today and gonna see if I can make a mold from some of my sculpted resin pads (I have all the variations at this point) and use that on the primaris pads.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Master Twig posted:

All of the forgeworld stuff I've seen seems way more powerful than standard book units with similar power ratings.* It seems like there's a definite disconnect between the team writing the rules for FW and the team writing the core rules.

*Except Tyranids

I hope Malenthropes arent stupid good as I have three that made up the back bone of my Nids in 7th. They were very strong in 7th but now busted, would be sad if i had to toss them in a box and never use them again.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

*Except Tyranids

FW can't write rules, news at 11.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Looks good!

I got the Howling Griffons ones.

They fit like a glove and look great. My only complaint is they're attached to the sprue on the face side, but it's easily shaved down.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I hope Malenthropes arent stupid good as I have three that made up the back bone of my Nids in 7th. They were very strong in 7th but now busted, would be sad if i had to toss them in a box and never use them again.

They showed the malanthrope rules in a FW preview post. Big changes are:
Save went from 3+ to 5+
No longer wounds on a 2+. Has 4 attacks, but on 4+, strength 4, AP -1, 2 damage.
Spore Cloud gives enemy units -1 to hit rolls instead of +2 to cover. Range reduced from 6" to 3".
Miasma can deal a mortal wound to nearby enemies.
And its 10 power so will likely be nearly 200 points.

So, time to box them up I think. They're pretty terrible.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

I can only speak for the Space Marine stuff since it's all I've looked at in depth but what I've seen seems pretty fairly costed. Let's compare my Predator and my Sicaran:

The Sicaran comes in at 155 points base, or 14 PP. It's T7 with 14 wounds and 14" move. In my standard configuration I add 75 for the main gun, 50 for two lascannons and another 10 for the heavy bolter for a total of 290 points.
The Predators comes in at 102 points base for T7 with 11 wounds and 12" move. Add 100 points for 4 lascannons and it's 202 points.

This seems like a pretty fair trade, if not slightly overvaluing the Sicaran's effectiveness given that the main gun is only ap-1.

E: Of course there are a bunch of posts about the Xenos stuff while I was typing this up...

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 19, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I guess Death Guard Green is new so I couldn't find an actual conversation a anywhere but I grabbed Vallejo Air Cement Grey which looks incredibly similar.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

The most egregious example I've seen are the repressor rhino for sisters and the battle suit for tau that was in the preview. Both are only very slightly more expensive than similar models in the core, but far more powerful.

I will agree the marine stuff seems pretty on point. Though the fire raptor is kind of ridiculous.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

I can only speak for the Space Marine stuff since it's all I've looked at in depth but what I've seen seems pretty fairly costed. Let's compare my Predator and my Sicaran:

The Sicaran comes in at 155 points base, or 14 PP. It's T7 with 14 wounds and 14" move. In my standard configuration I add 75 for the main gun, 50 for two lascannons and another 10 for the heavy bolter for a total of 290 points.
The Predators comes in at 102 points base for T7 with 11 wounds and 12" move. Add 100 points for 4 lascannons and it's 202 points.

This seems like a pretty fair trade, if not slightly overvaluing the Sicaran's effectiveness given that the main gun is only ap-1.

E: Of course there are a bunch of posts about the Xenos stuff while I was typing this up...

And then for a whopping 3 extra points, you can get a relic deimos predator that has 1 more wound. For 2 more points than the twin lascannon, it can get a Heavy 2d3 S7 Ap-3 2 damage plasma cannon. Seems pretty good. That plasma is 3 points more than the autocannon, and trades 1 damage a hit for being ap-3 instead of ap-1, that's always a trade I would make unless fighting daemons or something.

Disappointed in the melta cannon though. It's basically a heavy d3 S10 multimelta for 70 points. Can't see ever using that over the twin lascannon for 50.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 19, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Tendinitis sucks, but I'm finally bouncing back enough that I can paint - here's some Assault Terminators for my Templars:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Man that's garbage, forgeworld characters pay for wargear unlike index characters.

So with wargear vaylund cal is 200 points, for a tough techmarine with 3 attacks and rerolls. Kinda lovely. He was overpriced in 6th too but T6 was way more relevant then.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 19, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

They showed the malanthrope rules in a FW preview post.

So, time to box them up I think. They're pretty terrible.

Uh they're really not. You didn't mention the biggest advantages... firstly they're protected by the Character rule making them a lot harder to pick off than venomthropes. Their spore cloud rule affects all tyranid units (not just infantry), making your MCs less susceptible to heavy weapons in a way that isn't negated by AP. Finally their new Preferred Enemy rule works armywide and can be easily triggered with Heroic Intervention, without them even needing to fight in combat.

Malanthropes are now basically a Prime crossed with a much better venomthrope brood. I do think 200pts is a bit pricey for them, but 150-180 is pretty justified.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Tendinitis sucks, but I'm finally bouncing back enough that I can paint - here's some Assault Terminators for my Templars:

These are loving cool. Good work!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

SRM posted:

good gosh these are beautiful. It looks like you've got your black armor down to a science; I really love the edge highlights.

New thread, so I'm posting my Leviathan again:

I've got a finished Sicaran + Deredeo, and bunch of heresy marines, but no pictures at the moment =(

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Top notch as always. Do you just use Valhallan Blizzard for your snow?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Am I correctly reading that dreadnaughts have lost multimeltas?

And about how much conversion does it take before something is obviously a venerable dread?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Only Deathwatch dreads lost Multimeltas. Any dread can be a Ven Dread; if you're mixing normal and venerables, just make sure the fanciest ones are the Venerables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

These are loving cool. Good work!
:respek:

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

good gosh these are beautiful. It looks like you've got your black armor down to a science; I really love the edge highlights.
Thank you! It's the first highlights for black armor that I've really liked doing; my Ravenwing were a headache. And go take some pictures of your mans! Your Leviathan's cool.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Top notch as always. Do you just use Valhallan Blizzard for your snow?
Thanks! I haven't tried it yet; I've been using more or less the same basing technique for 5 years now, based on Fyrbrand's recipe. I did a tutorial for it a while ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWCsB1oZlik

moths posted:

Am I correctly reading that dreadnaughts have lost multimeltas?

And about how much conversion does it take before something is obviously a venerable dread?

They don't come stock with them but they're in the Dreadnought Heavy Weapons list in the index, at least the print version. And I'd say any time it's significantly dolled up - just look at the plastic kit or some of the Forgeworld bodies and see how close you can get it to that. There's definitely enough baubles and bits and bobs to turn a regular dread into a venerable one out there.