Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ok it's just over.

Probably the worst film I've ever seen. Can't describe how shocking it was.

Don't worry I went out for a piss.

So does Bumblebee kill Hitler or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Ok it's just over.

Probably the worst film I've ever seen. Can't describe how shocking it was.

Give me one of the worst moments.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Soup du Journey posted:

whats with the arthurian legend stuff in there? why were there robots around for that? is excalibur secretly not a sword and actually a key that turns off the doomsday device or something?

Yes I also wish to know why there are swords, and specifically, why does Marky Mark get one?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Big robots without personalities punch other big robots with no personalities and then Marky Walhherbg (who has no personality) does uninteresting stuff

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
are there still racist caricaturebots in the franchise? cause they could totally do a muslim carbot with all the stuff going on in london lately

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
if there were transformers around in the mythical days of king arthur, what did they transform into? horse-drawn carts and trebuchets?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Give me one of the worst moments.

Would have to look over my notes to pick a specific moment but a few stand out:

An evil robot with a "black" voice (and also wearing a chain) is released from robot prison and repeats the Martin Luther King "Free at last" speech.

A good robot kicks a fish to death.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

LordArgh posted:

if there were transformers around in the mythical days of king arthur, what did they transform into? horse-drawn carts and trebuchets?

Dragons and mythological monsters. Ogres, giants, trolls etc

This will all be explained in Transformers 8: Lets get medieval

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The mythological stuff is generally incomprehensible.
It pops up at the start for a bit and then again about 90 minutes in.
It really feels like they bolted two movies together and made one giant loving mess.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

But why does Marky Mark have a sword?

DO WE SEE HIS BALLSACK?!?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

An evil robot with a "black" voice (and also wearing a chain) is released from robot prison and repeats the Martin Luther King "Free at last" speech.

I'm sure CineD thinks this is Oscar-worthy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WampaLord posted:

But why does Marky Mark have a sword?

He's the chosen one!!!!!

A dying transformers gives him a talisman that transforms into a sword. That's it.
It's used maybe... once in the entire film.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What does the woman do?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zzulu posted:

What does the woman do?

She's the last descendant of merlin and mainly just stands around showing lots of cleavage.

The first time we see her she's debunking old myths about dragons and stuff despite living in a world where Transformers seem to have taken over America (but not the rest of the world????

Oh Cairo and Hong Kong get totally destroyed and it's never mentioned again.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sounds more like Malarky Mark

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It also does this insanely annoying thing where, at least in IMAX anyway, it changes aspect ratio every few seconds.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hong Kong gets totally destroyed

Well that's certainly one way to appeal to China...

:stare:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

She's the last descendant of merlin and mainly just stands around showing lots of cleavage.

The first time we see her she's debunking old myths about dragons and stuff despite living in a world where Transformers seem to have taken over America (but not the rest of the world????

Oh Cairo and Hong Kong get totally destroyed and it's never mentioned again.

Yeah obviously the autobots only want to hang out with the cool humans.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LordArgh posted:

A dragon

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

gently caress movies

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Raserys posted:

gently caress movies

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
why do transformers transform, anyway? isn't it to blend in or something? how many dragons and krakens were around in ye olden days??

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Where does it get off being 2.5 hours? jfc

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Soup du Journey posted:

why do transformers transform, anyway? isn't it to blend in or something?

Man, if I were a giant robot, gently caress blending in, I'd own that poo poo.

Edit: REMEMBER ME

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Saw the Mummy the other day

Feels kind of goofy in a bad way and I can't explain why. I keep thinking back to Mike's comment that it was made for foreign audiences. Like it has the same kind of dialogue and humor a kung fu comedy would have?

I don't know. When I tried explaining that to the person I went with I think they thought I was being racist.

Best part of the film: "Kick her rear end, Nick!"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
honestly I don't feel like Terry, the original poser of the cined Transformers thing, deserves poo poo for it.

They never had the Cined fragility or desperation, and never attempted to make a cult. Some others did on his behalf, there are some REALLY bizarre and hateful fights in that that thread like one guy who was calling the other a brain damaged baby (changing someone's quote to ":haw:" and saying all sorts of "it's adorable how retarded you are" fake cooing, cringey as HELL). Like, I still never watched Pain and Gain because of how Cined talked about it. That RLM's review of it was some kind of BETRAYAL instead of just their own opinion. It was loving nuts how people talked about it.
But Terry themself was always humble, actually illustrated their points, never talked down to anyone, even watches other movies and does other things besides watch movies. Like, they never even watched Transformers 4 or make a bunch of other billion dollar movie reviews and barely posts anymore. They're not trying to be forums popular.

I'm kind of onboard with the ideas because there's a bizarre kind of hatefulness coming off from the movies and the heroes get progressively shittier and shittier and stop even trying to make token efforts to look heroic. I think it's all an interesting idea and I wish more people would read movies like that but not start crying like SMG does if you disagree. I don't think it makes them great movies or even good movies to watch. But apparently everyone on cined wants to be EXACTLY like SMG, including his lovely attitude that gets him probated everywhere else even though he holds no power anywhere but a dead gay forum

E: I realized I don't actually know Terry's pronouns, painstakingly changed them, I don't think Terry's ever gotten mad at pronouns but still just trying to be respectful

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 19, 2017

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

vermin posted:

Saw the Mummy the other day

Feels kind of goofy in a bad way and I can't explain why. I keep thinking back to Mike's comment that it was made for foreign audiences. Like it has the same kind of dialogue and humor a kung fu comedy would have?

I don't know. When I tried explaining that to the person I went with I think they thought I was being racist.

Makes sense what with Mike being a huge racist and all.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

honestly I don't feel like Terry, the original poser of the cined Transformers thing, deserves poo poo for it.

But apparently everyone on cined wants to be EXACTLY like SMG

Exactly.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Captain Lavender posted:

Where does it get off being 2.5 hours? jfc

Seriously, the loving gall of it.

What puzzles me is, do people actually want these long movies? Everything's so market researched that it must be the case but I can't imagine most people wanting to sit through popcorn movies this long. Is it the Chinese? Do they just love long movies for some reason? idgi

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
why don't the decepticons kidnap important people, transform into looking like them to deceive humans and then rule the world from the shadows like the reptilians are doing irl?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LordArgh posted:

why don't the decepticons kidnap important people, transform into looking like them to deceive humans and then rule the world from the shadows like the reptilians are doing irl?

Why didn't they teach astronauts how to drill

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Movies were originally the length the average person could comfortably not pee. 2.5 hours is doable for a lot of people but at that length you're going to have a pretty significant portion of your audience pop out for a pee break and miss 5 min or so of the movie. A lot of plays and operas are that length and will almost always have an intermission because of it. I refuse to see really long movies in theatre.

Everyone should refuse to see transformers though. But that's the sort of movie where a pee break won't harm anything. There's no plot and it's just a tornado of metal parts and explosions.
There's even a website for movies that has recommended pee-break times, they find lovely parts of the movies that if you're gone for 5 min you won't really miss anything good.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HoAssHo posted:

What puzzles me is, do people actually want these long movies? Everything's so market researched that it must be the case but I can't imagine most people wanting to sit through popcorn movies this long. Is it the Chinese? Do they just love long movies for some reason? idgi

I wonder if it's because theaters are a break from the smog and heat, so they want longer movies, particularly for summer movies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
One of the best movies in recent history is Krampus.

Establish likable and unlikable characters, everyone gets an arc, three acts, fun twist, plenty of jokes, fun action, 90 minutes.

Transformers costs $350M to make and I defy you to tell me that a character has an arc, or that you were entertained by the action.

The horror movie is less grim than the robotpunch movie. The horror movie has infinitely better writing, action, sound design, character development, cinematography, acting, production design, costuming, set design, etc.

I don't know how you don't die of embarrassment if you made or enjoyed a Transformers movie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

just a tornado of metal parts and explosions..

You said it buddy

The movie feels like a CG artist's showreel

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

HoAssHo posted:

I know several people who go the other way and if a movie is over 90 minutes, forget it.

For me it varies movie to movies, some 2+ hour movies fly by and other 80 minute ones drag.

There's no way I would want to submit myself to the sensory beatdown that is a transformers movie for that long, however.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Establish likable and unlikable characters, everyone gets an arc, three acts, fun twist, plenty of jokes, fun action, 90 minutes.

Transformers costs $350M to make and I defy you to tell me that a character has an arc, or that you were entertained by the action.

The horror movie is less grim than the robotpunch movie. The horror movie has infinitely better writing, action, sound design, character development, cinematography, acting, production design, costuming, set design, etc.

I don't know how you don't die of embarrassment if you made or enjoyed a Transformers movie.

It's hard to be embarrassed if your movie is making giant rear end-loads of money.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

You said it buddy

The movie feels like a CG artist's showreel

The difference between The Amazing Bulk and Transformers is money

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Eh, Krampus didn't go far enough though. It was like a horror movie for tweens or something. It didn't help that the final reveal of Krampus was a character whose face didn't move whatsoever since they apparently didn't have the budget for animatronics underneath the rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
this seems like a good time to rewatch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rfup0XKx7o

• Locked thread