Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

i love the "wouldn't your @employer be sad to hear what you're saying to me" style snitch, especially when no one gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm really glad that when I caught a foul ball a couple years ago, it was after a 2-hour rain delay and there were no kids around at the time. I'd been going to games for 25 years by that point and had never caught a non-BP ball, so gently caress giving it away. :argh:

Zack Hample has a billion foul balls though, so he is just a greedy rear end in a top hat if he doesn't give them away. :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Beltran never led the league in anything. But to be fair, he certainly should have had an MVP-2 in 2006. Beltran is a really, really, really good player. I think he should be in the hall, but if he just plays three more years he will be a lock with 3k hits :)

Also, Carlos Beltran has more games and PA's with the Mets than the Royals and was probably the best part of his career.

I feel like Beltran perfectly straddles the line between Hall of Fame and Hall of Very Good. Consistently excellent throughout his career in a way that makes you wonder how he never got an MVP (or really much hardware period) when you look at his baseball reference page, but at the same time he was never clearly the best at anything like you mentioned. I think I'd probably lean more towards him getting into the Hall than not, but he's certainly not a lock.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Watching the Cardinals continue to fail miserably makes me wonder, do they have any pieces that they could sell at the deadline for a decent return? Oh, Rosey, Lynn or Gyorko seem like the possible candidates but I have no idea what their demand could be.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Pancakes posted:

Watching the Cardinals continue to fail miserably makes me wonder, do they have any pieces that they could sell at the deadline for a decent return? Oh, Rosey, Lynn or Gyorko seem like the possible candidates but I have no idea what their demand could be.

Do you think Mo views the Cards as sellers? Would ownership allow ~THE CARDINALS~ to be sellers?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

Lynn, Rosey, and Oh certainly. Please don't get rid of Gyorko. He still has a 3/29 left and has been one of the better players the last year and a half. They desperately need to revamp the bullpen. Waino is certainly dead, but Reyes is back next year and Flaherty seems to be performing very well this year. Everyone that should be hitting IS hitting right now, it just happens that the whole pitching staff also decided to suck, real bad (besides C-Mart). I don't think they are winning anything at all this year, so I'd rather get rid of those three guys sooner than later for maybe some random lucky prospects.

Mike_V posted:

Do you think Mo views the Cards as sellers? Would ownership allow ~THE CARDINALS~ to be sellers?

I sure as hell hope he does in his own mind. But not a seller as in "we need to rebuild" sellers. The Cardinals are sellers that need to rebound next year by preferably firing Matheny and revamping the pitching.

The Cardinals as a team OPSed .900 the last 7 days and went 2-5

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 19, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Strike two is one of those "ok, yeah, could go either way" pitches. The other two though :psypop:

Who was behind the plate calling balls and strikes though? No one has mentioned this yet.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently completing the cycle with a walk-off dinger has happened 6 times in history. That's crazy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

What was this? The tweet was deleted.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What was this? The tweet was deleted.

loving LOL

somebody from fangraphs responded to his tweet saying he was full of poo poo when he tried to backpedal and say it was a Joke This Whole Time, and Hample's response was basically like "HMMM I don't think your BOSSES at @fangraphs would like you SWEARING"

further proving that he's a dumb idiot tattletale child-murdering baby who should be banned from all baseball stadiums in the world, and also the world itself

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also the fangraphs guy then just tweeted back "lol @fangraphs".

Hample is a moron.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

Who was behind the plate calling balls and strikes though? No one has mentioned this yet.

Greg Gibson, who historically really isn't that bad at calling balls and strikes.

Edit: Although he is pretty quick to run guys.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 19, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

iospace posted:

Strike two is one of those "ok, yeah, could go either way" pitches. The other two though :psypop:

Looking at the RHH plot for the whole game, he was giving the pitchers that side of the plate by a lot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mike_V posted:

If the Yankees can do it, anybody can.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Inspector_666 posted:

If you haven't read the latest ESPN magazine feature about Latin culture and baseball, you should.

This is good. I liked how most of the players said their first big purchase was a new home for mom. Also, teams really need to invest in professional translator, ESL teachers for these guys.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is good. I liked how most of the players said their first big purchase was a new home for mom. Also, teams really need to invest in professional translator, ESL teachers for these guys.

Do you happen to be a broadcaster for the red Sox?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bird in a Blender posted:

Teams do need to have translators for Latin players now, although that's a very new directive.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Do a lot of the Japanese players, or Asian players, bring along their own translator still? I remember Ichiro having his own and I think he was a good friend of his too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/876885562736640005

non-throwing elbow at least

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 19, 2017

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

What a difference a week makes for the Yankees. :sigh:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
What do the Yankees have as far as trade pieces? AKA what can the Giants extort out of them to fix their 1b/3b problems?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
loving head first slides.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

New Concept Hole posted:

What do the Yankees have as far as trade pieces? AKA what can the Giants extort out of them to fix their 1b/3b problems?

Yankees farm is still stacked as hell. http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=nyy

Torres injury may actually make them take the foot off the gas at the deadline this season though, especially if the team doesn't break off a lot of wins the next 2 weeks. Suddenly they need SP, 1B, and 3B? Unless they want to deal for rentals (which I already don't think they do) I don't see them making many moves since those are positions that the farm is supposed to be able to fill in the next few years (well, maybe not 1B because Bird was supposed to have that on lock :()

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 19, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
flags fly forever

(that really sucks :( )

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
~*prospects*~

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I was going to ask what other position players have had Tommy John recently, but remembered that Miguel Sano did not too long ago (on his throwing arm).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Phew. Cubbies 2016 title secure now that Torres won't be a major league phenom in 2017.

2018 though. :thunk:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
agreed but unironically

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Phew. Cubbies 2016 title secure now that Torres won't be a major league phenom in 2017.

2018 though. :thunk:

We'll trade back for him obviously.

1 WS flag for 1 Gleyber Torres

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

I was going to ask what other position players have had Tommy John recently, but remembered that Miguel Sano did not too long ago (on his throwing arm).

The only other ones I know of are Dustin Ackley and Kyle Hiagshioka. In Ackley's case it totally killed his ability to play the left-side of the infield, although his arm was suspect from the get-go, apparently.

Sano being a guy who had it on his throwing arm is a little mood boost, since it certainly hasn't messed with his prowess at the plate.

EDIT: Sano and Taillon are now my "IT WILL BE OK!" yardsticks for injured Yankee prospects.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 19, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Torres more like Tornes am I right guys

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ihatepants posted:

Steve Pearce did last year as well.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Didn't wieters have it somewhat recently ? Or was his bionic arm for something else

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya he did. I couldn't remember what catcher it was, but ya it was Wieters.

The first position player I remember getting it was Xavier Nady and he had a decent career after. It's becoming fairly common now.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cozart had tjs

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oh ya and Yankee fans, try not to think about Nady's second TJS

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else suffering a UCL injury sliding into a base. What a freak thing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

coronaball posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else suffering a UCL injury sliding into a base. What a freak thing.

Yeah, and honestly if he's gonna tear anything, his elbow is probably the best possible outcome. Shoulder or wrist injuries will gently caress up his hitting way worse.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RA Dickey's had a fine MLB career without even having a UCL. Teach Torres to throw a knuckler and he'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

RA Dickey's had a fine MLB career without even having a UCL. Teach Torres to throw a knuckler and he'll be fine.

I think Aledmys Diaz could probably jave thrown a knuckleball last year while fielding and possibly have the same number of errors.errors.

• Locked thread