Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cis autodrag posted:

iron chef gauntlet

food network will never stop loving over chef sawyer but im glad stephanie won

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

still salty about that one

it was mandatory to have one of these in every game

e: did you even have to navigate that again to leave once you get the berries, i have repressed the memory if so

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

mandatory for? in terms of a tentacle beast?

Dragonsphere btw

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
there's a car chase up a mountain in a sierra game where you can't go too slow or too fast and I think it has the same sketchy manual path navigation too but I can't find the video

see also: getting around the map in police quest 1

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

https://twitter.com/MSamenfink/status/876411281049362433

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/876805235863408641

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My marketing talent is available to the highest bidding city to launch a new campaign called bussr.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the primitive technology youtube owns

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actV3cinMLk

criterion collection stalker looks pretty good

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d64 posted:

it was mandatory to have one of these in every game

e: did you even have to navigate that again to leave once you get the berries, i have repressed the memory if so

yes, you had to navigate through it backwards once you got the berries.

Sierra games were stupidly short and they lengthened playtime via death/dead man walking situations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Sierra games were basically the Roberta Williams Brain Experience so if you couldn't put yourself in that mindset you were hosed

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Sierra games were basically the Roberta Williams Brain Experience so if you couldn't put yourself in that mindset you were hosed

http://i.imgur.com/38gPYym.jpg

thinkin' bout that mindset

e. Maybe mildly :nws:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
only smart rich people own computers so if you can't beat a sierra adventure game you shouldn't own a computer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Nobody ever completed a Sierra Adventure game on their own. They either bought the strategy guide, got tips from a BBS, got their friend's older brother to do the hard parts, or -- most commonly -- never finished the game at all

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

the primitive technology youtube owns

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/Aqksnc4.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/HgxwWNh.gifv

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i love this roberta williams quote from 1999 when she says that the reason video games became crap was when poors could start affording computers

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, then they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i love this roberta williams quote from 1999 when she says that the reason video games became crap was when poors could start affording computers

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, then they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.

i don't know that she's entirely wrong. when books could only be created by monks, i'm sure they were extremely high-minded and hard to understand (even if they did have little farting people in the margins). books were so expensive that they would literally chain them to the bookshelves

i bet there are even more high-minded and confusing books being published nowadays, but as a percentage of all books, they've become very unusual

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
*taps out pipe, adjusts monocle*

hmmm yes the humble orat, a staple of the space quest series, is clearly the solution to my conundrum

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When books were created by monks I think they were all basically just copies of the Bible and other monks' interpretations of the Bible

d64
Jan 15, 2003
i think the xt i played agi games on cost more than an engineer's month's wages and my dad bought it with a hefty employee discount

first games i saw that weren't simple action games

i guess having the pc instead of a 8bit micro made us a part of roberta williams' ruling class

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my word

*fans self using nearby opera program*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
man why haven't they ported these to the ipad yet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Remember the part in King's Quest 3 where you have to solve a puzzle based around the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears? Only intellectuals would get that subtle reference

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d64 posted:

i think the xt i played agi games on cost more than an engineer's month's wages and my dad bought it with a hefty employee discount

first games i saw that weren't simple action games

i guess having the pc instead of a 8bit micro made us a part of roberta williams' ruling class

the british 8 bit micro scene is so weird. and also smaller than people like to paint it as really, like you find out the spectrum only sold 5 million total across all the models and all the markets. and most of those machines barely fuckin worked and would cripple you if you tried to actually use them while driving you crazy with load times and poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

Remember the part in King's Quest 3 where you have to solve a puzzle based around the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears? Only intellectuals would get that subtle reference

which king's quest was it where if you didn't throw something at a kitten or w/e that briefly appears near the beginning of the game then it was unbeatable

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

i will always remember how profound stupid it was in kq6 to have this cool moody minotaur maze only to be resolved by this hopeless dipshittery in the final room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_cf2dAqaH4&t=101s

e: worth noting: this scene is the loving box art for the game

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 19, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which king's quest was it where if you didn't throw something at a kitten or w/e that briefly appears near the beginning of the game then it was unbeatable

you're probably thinking of kq5, there's a screen (a town) where the 1st time you go there you must set a trap because the 2nd time you go there a cat chases a mouse and kills the mouse if the trap isn't set (and you have no way of knowing this is coming if you've never played the game before). said mouse near the end of the game is required to be alive or you can't complete the game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

lol if you didn't hover the crown cursor over everyone's head while waiting for poo poo to load in the various kqs

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

you're probably thinking of kq5, there's a screen (a town) where the 1st time you go there you must set a trap because the 2nd time you go there a cat chases a mouse and kills the mouse if the trap isn't set (and you have no way of knowing this is coming if you've never played the game before). said mouse near the end of the game is required to be alive or you can't complete the game.

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

univbee posted:

ugh that's the one

quest for glory supremacy

they remade the first one a few years ago and it's p good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I don't think it's kq3. but I know that in kq3 you have to complete some number of secret tasks to turn the wizard into a cat before the first hour or so of gameplay is up, or he just appears randomly and kills you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

When books were created by monks I think they were all basically just copies of the Bible and other monks' interpretations of the Bible

You're wrong tho.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jon Oliver is seasme street for adult millenials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6RsUhw1Q8&t=1141s
(stick through to the end for the seasme street part)
:3: I love it

d64
Jan 15, 2003

fishmech posted:

the british 8 bit micro scene is so weird. and also smaller than people like to paint it as really, like you find out the spectrum only sold 5 million total across all the models and all the markets. and most of those machines barely fuckin worked and would cripple you if you tried to actually use them while driving you crazy with load times and poo poo

since it's a british thing i guess it's mostly them driving the nostalgia? i'm in the nordics so here the big micro was the c64, with some rare oric or svi owners. only british micro i ever touched back then was this and i guess it still holds the place for the worst keyboard to actually type anything on:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d64 posted:

since it's a british thing i guess it's mostly them driving the nostalgia? i'm in the nordics so here the big micro was the c64, with some rare oric or svi owners. only british micro i ever touched back then was this and i guess it still holds the place for the worst keyboard to actually type anything on:

the c64 is crazy, it sold somewhere between 17 and 20 million units worldwide which is absolutely huge for a single model. and was popular literally everywhere around the world at a scale that wouldn't be seen until europeans/australians could finally afford PCs en masse

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

its the-uh-SEX number
https://twitter.com/doubleduel/status/876497410519744512

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i liked encarta mind maze as a childe

• Locked thread