Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

glam rock hamhock posted:

f2p in that you are free 2 purchase it

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

Last of Us definitely would have made a better miniseries than a game

Naw.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

precision posted:

I played the beta of Overwatch and it felt super bare bones and kind of not very fun
I mean, same, but it's still super popular and will never go F2P.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's objectively less "bare bones" than it was at launch considering there have been a bunch of new characters and maps added as free updates.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

That doesn't really for me. All it does is let me know that it's basically impossible for there to be anything interesting to discover since it's all just generated anyway.

Ehh, depends on what you consider "interesting". It's true that you probably aren't going to find anything amazingly useful that transforms the gameplay or a "deep" hunk of content in a Serious Gaming sense, but you could find a cool looking mountain or a village tucked behind a hill or whatever. This won't impress everyone but I found taking long walks/boat rides pretty chill.

DLC Inc posted:

Last of Us definitely would have made a better miniseries than a game

I've watched enough of the Walking Dead to know that this is absolutely not true.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

Ehh, depends on what you consider "interesting". It's true that you probably aren't going to find anything amazingly useful that transforms the gameplay or a "deep" hunk of content in a Serious Gaming sense, but you could find a cool looking mountain or a village tucked behind a hill or whatever and for some people and moods that's worth the time.

This is definitely just a taste thing.

Minecraft doesn't do it for me at all. I think I played it for like 2-3 hours before I got bored of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Girl With All The Gifts is already better than any official Last of Us movie could hope to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hey guys I dunno maybe I'm the first person to point this out but... Minecraft looks like an N64 game! The graphics are terrible! I mean have you SEEN video games recently?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Hey guys I dunno maybe I'm the first person to point this out but... Minecraft looks like an N64 game! The graphics are terrible! I mean have you SEEN video games recently?

It's in 4K now

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

exquisite tea posted:

I mean have you SEEN video games recently?

Yeah dog I played Mrs. Pac-Man at the bowling alley video games are great

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 19, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

The power of the Xbox One X to render Minecraft in 4K is unprecedented... have you seen that lighting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
after Dragon Quest Builders i really don't think there is any excuse for minecraft to look the way it does anymore

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah dog I played Mrs. Pac-Man at the bowling alley video games are great

Stand-up cabinet or cocktail?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

after Dragon Quest Builders i really don't think there is any excuse for minecraft to look the way it does anymore

I mean, why would they bother changing it? I don't play Minecraft and I don't like those type of games but if anything it's success proves the ascetic is meaningless to it's base and at this point any attempt to change it would a) make it run on less things, b) annoy people that do like it's stupid blocky style c) not actually add anything to the game except for making a blocky game look like a slightly better looking blocky game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Saint Freak posted:

Stand-up cabinet or cocktail?

Cocktail is the only way to go imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what did any of us do before all the arcades flipped the "run at 2x speed" switch on Ms. Pac-Man

I mean, why would they bother changing it? I don't play Minecraft and I don't like those type of games but if anything it's success proves the ascetic is meaningless to it's base and at this point any attempt to change it would a) make it run on less things, b) annoy people that do like it's stupid blocky style c) not actually add anything to the game except for making a blocky game look like a slightly better looking blocky game.

i mean they could just have "Legacy Mode" and "Now Doesn't Make Your Eyeballs Bleed" mode. why not both?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

You have really strong opinions about what some of the most profitable franchises in the history of video gaming are doing wrong

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You have really strong opinions about what some of the most profitable franchises in the history of video gaming are doing wrong

hey, there is a reason i work in writing, not marketing

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What's with legos? Squares and rectangles? Come on! It's the 21st century dummies!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

What's with legos? Squares and rectangles? Come on! It's the 21st century dummies!

thanks for reminding me to get around to selling all these drat LEGOs. seriously our whole apartment is kind of covered in LEGO sets. not in a hoarder way, more in like a "why don't you buy shelves?" way

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they're legos, build shelves

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

Ehh, depends on what you consider "interesting". It's true that you probably aren't going to find anything amazingly useful that transforms the gameplay or a "deep" hunk of content in a Serious Gaming sense, but you could find a cool looking mountain or a village tucked behind a hill or whatever. This won't impress everyone but I found taking long walks/boat rides pretty chill.

I've watched enough of the Walking Dead to know that this is absolutely not true.

I should have said specifically said HBO series, and my condolences to anyone who still watches The Walking Dead

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i mean i do kinda think it's a shame that a game all about building poo poo also happens to look like poo poo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Dr Cheeto posted:

Noice

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

i mean they could just have "Legacy Mode" and "Now Doesn't Make Your Eyeballs Bleed" mode. why not both?

Because it's money that could be spent somewhere that wouldn't be a waste of time. Maybe I'm interpreting things wrong, but I think one of the reasons the "Minecraft in 4K!!!!" reveal has been mocked so much because it's Minecraft and no one that plays it gives a poo poo. Like, the shaders are nice but people still don't give a poo poo.

You have to realize they literally sell figures of Minecraft characters. That ugly style is part of what Minecraft is at this point. An attempt to make something that looks more...not like that would not really grab any new players and would be derided by those still play. It's also not like many attempts have been made by others have been made to make better looking minecraft and all of those haven't even done a fraction of what Minecraft has done. Like, while DQB didn't do bad, I doubt it's sold in it's entire run what Minecraft sold the month DQB came out.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Makes sense because a cocktail is the only way most goons could get themselves to interact with a lady.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

overwatch is f2p. free to pass, that is. which i recommend doing

actually it's fun2play

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Makes sense because a cocktail is the only way most goons could get themselves to interact with a lady.

i'm not entirely sure it's strictly true that most goons are homosexual men.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been playing a bit of Heroes of the Storm this past while, and that's both F2P and F2P

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
It's a G5F4$40 game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i miss tf2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Playing a bad game isn't like watching a bad movie where you can laugh at it for 90 minutes and be done, most of the time they're also horrible mechanically or just plain boring for hours upon hours. I can't think of a single bad game that ever encouraged me to keep playing. Well, besides Deadly Premonition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTpHAmMPgBo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i miss tf2

I just checked and there must be a sale going on - looks like Valve is giving it away for free on Steam right now. Must be some E3 promotional thing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tf2 was pretty good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

overwatch is pretty good but they haven't added travis touchdown as the new hero yet

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

I just checked and there must be a sale going on - looks like Valve is giving it away for free on Steam right now. Must be some E3 promotional thing

when i did the valve potato pack thing they gave me a copy of every valve game for free. so now i have a copy of tf2 i can give out as a gift whenever

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I thought TF2 went f2p years ago

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I thought TF2 went f2p years ago

It did.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007