Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Its truly a sight to behold seeing the GOP do everything they accused the Dems of in making the ACA, 100x worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Voters who like their candidates like putting yard signs up with their names on them. Now granted Hillary Clinton didn't have that problem, but Trump voters...boy how did they love their yard signs.

This guy a few blocks from me decided that the yard signs offered by the Trump campaign weren't good enough to suit his needs so he made his own.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

Voters who like their candidates like putting yard signs up with their names on them. Now granted Hillary Clinton didn't have that problem, but Trump voters...boy how did they love their yard signs.

This guy a few blocks from me decided that the yard signs offered by the Trump campaign weren't good enough to suit his needs so he made his own.

Turns out unemployed people on meth have a lot of time for crafts

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

On my commute to work there was a house with a Trump sign and a house with a Clinton sign right next to each other (Clinton sign had been up since the primaries so I scowled at both as I drove by). One day the Trump sign disappeared, then was replaced with a new one stapled to a tree about 12 feet in the air. This short drama in one act was my only 2016 yard-sign experience

The funniest yard sign I ever saw was the huge Ron Paul 2008 one I found in the window of a head shop in Providence in 2010

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've said before, but I saw more Gary Johnson signs in Minneapolis than signs for any other candidate combined.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

loquacius posted:

On my commute to work there was a house with a Trump sign and a house with a Clinton sign right next to each other (Clinton sign had been up since the primaries so I scowled at both as I drove by). One day the Trump sign disappeared, then was replaced with a new one stapled to a tree about 12 feet in the air. This short drama in one act was my only 2016 yard-sign experience

The funniest yard sign I ever saw was the huge Ron Paul 2008 one I found in the window of a head shop in Providence in 2010

some stupid farmer on SR 132 bought and erected his own billboard with the trump/pence logo on it, i loving hated driving past it when going to/from the valley

thankfully its since been taken down

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

based on this thread i have to assume yard signs murdered the democratic party's parents and pissed on their graves

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

zegermans posted:

Turns out unemployed people on meth have a lot of time for crafts

Way to undermine the micro-targeting of the Meth Vote

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
i dont really get how yard signs "don't work" and yet the advertising industry somehow exists and will monetize any open space in the aim of getting your eyeballs to simply look at a logo

how could yard signs be any worse than a billboard or "welp you looked!" bus stop ads?

Follow up question:

how could you possible know whether yard signs work or not?

NewForumSoftware has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Jun 19, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

NewForumSoftware posted:

i dont really get how yard signs "don't work" and yet the advertising industry somehow exists and will monetize any open space in the aim of getting your eyeballs to simply look at a logo

how could yard signs be any worse than a billboard or "welp you looked!" bus stop ads?

Follow up question:

The algorithm likely said they were meaningless. Why are you implying it was the DNCs fault for ignoring them?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NewForumSoftware posted:

commercial marketing and political advertising are different. you can't go into a store and buy a hillary clinton on a whim (unless you're a lobbyist amirite??). a soda company wants you to spend as much of your day as possible thinking about their soda, hopefully maximizing the likelihood that you buy it. that's not actually a good goal for most political candidates, unless absolutely no one has ever heard of you. ultimately it's about creating positive feelings for your candidate, or negative feelings toward the opponent. a logo doesn't accomplish that.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

NewForumSoftware posted:

Follow up question:

I want to use the term "Third party advocate" but I'm afraid I'll trigger a rant about Jill Stein

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

The algorithm likely said they were meaningless. Why are you implying it was the DNCs fault for ignoring them?

because why does the dnc deserve the benefit of the doubt on anything?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Concerned Citizen posted:

commercial marketing and political advertising are different. you can't go into a store and buy a hillary clinton on a whim (unless you're a lobbyist amirite??). a soda company wants you to spend as much of your day as possible thinking about their soda, hopefully maximizing the likelihood that you buy it. that's not actually a good goal for most political candidates, unless absolutely no one has ever heard of you. ultimately it's about creating positive feelings for your candidate, or negative feelings toward the opponent. a logo doesn't accomplish that.

how can you know that? is there like some kind of seminal paper you're referencing or is this just 'well the consultants in the know...'

like im pretty sure "do ads work?" is a difficult question in of itself, much less identifying which one works

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/876827795833442304

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

how can you know that? is there like some kind of seminal paper you're referencing or is this just 'well the consultants in the know...'

like im pretty sure "do ads work?" is a difficult question in of itself, much less identifying which one works

hes a fuckin idiot moron

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

NewForumSoftware posted:

You obvs missed the 13 year old book referenced above

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

oh btw @ConcernedCitizen

https://twitter.com/leonardpierce/status/876869529355341826

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
*Concerned Citizen nods sagely while reading a book about how women suffer hysteria from the 1800s*

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

imagine watching the biggest electoral failure of the modern era and still thinking the people behind it had any loving idea what they were doing

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
lol I found the study they reference

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261379415002310

best part?

quote:

On average, lawn signs increase vote share by 1.7 percentage points.

how much did the ol hilldog lose by again?

Serf
May 5, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

they r trollin u

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

they r trollin u

if i wasnt a glutton for punishment i would have stopped even thinking about politics long ago

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
CC please tell me a 20 year old book isn't your only source for throwing away 2% of the vote?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol I found the study they reference

best part?

how much did the ol hilldog lose by again?

But it didn't say that in their algorithm! God people are so stupid! Why won't you listen!? :cry:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Concerned Citizen spots a woman choking. He performs first aid using a knife and techniques proven to work in the 1700s, cutting the soles of the patient's feet and bleeding them out. The patient dies. Concerned Citizen smugly posts constantly about his winning first aid strategy

NewForumSoftware posted:

CC please tell me a 20 year old book isn't your only source for throwing away 2% of the vote?

Don't be ridiculous, there was also a computer

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

1.7% is bigly

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NewForumSoftware posted:

how can you know that?

there's a lot of research that goes into this sort of stuff. you can do studies on tv ads, for example, that show exactly what impact an ad will have on the electorate by delivering it to a random audience and polling them afterward. for yard signs it's not so much "these are absolutely proven not to work" (as is the case with robocalls) but more that their efficacy is pretty much entirely undemonstrated and they are basically around because, well, we've always had yard signs. more importantly, purchasing & distributing yard signs is not a simple operation - it's actually an enormous amount of money & energy for something that there is basically no reason at all to believe does anything. beyond the fact that yard signs themselves aren't inexpensive, the cost of shipping them is also very expensive. and then getting them to people's yards requires compiling lists of people who want the signs, allocating the signs for distribution per office, recruiting volunteers to do it, and then hundreds and hundreds of hours of driving required to actually get the things out. even if you try to layer it into your existing canvassing program, it means you're still sacrificing a significant number of door knocks - which we know work - to try and deal with the drat yard signs. at some point even relatively simple yard sign operations, which seem just so simple, grow to become large portions of your life. it's just not worth it.

if it were a case of like, well, we know yard signs increase turnout by 0.5% that'd be one thing. but there's not even really a coherent proposed mechanism by which it would get people to vote. it's just a sign with a logo. if you really need a sign with a logo in a lot of places, you can buy some billboards or something.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

jesus that website is weird, it keeps pausing my music every few seconds

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

commercial marketing and political advertising are different

that reminds me does anyone have the link to that interview with whoever was in charge of hfa's marketing where they said exactly the opposite

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ace of Baes posted:

The sexy blogger has logged on.

:thunk:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

if it were a case of like, well, we know yard signs increase turnout by 0.5% that'd be one thing.

quote:

On average, lawn signs increase vote share by 1.7 percentage points.

Do you like have any papers or anything you justify your beliefs on or is just the 20 year old book you're referencing?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NewForumSoftware posted:

that book is foundational for the study of gotv, but obviously there's a shitload of new studies since then. most of them are not public. and essentially the green study linked itt:

quote:

Of the researchers’ four experiments, only one involved what you might generally think of as yard signs. In three of the experiments, signs were placed in public places within randomly assigned precincts. In the fourth, signs were placed in supporters’ yards — the thing that campaigns often spend a lot of time coordinating. In that case, interestingly, the effects were essentially zero.

the study wasn't a very good one as they are far too small to really be conclusive, but even then they still don't find evidence for yard signs being Good

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that reminds me does anyone have the link to that interview with whoever was in charge of hfa's marketing where they said exactly the opposite

iirc that wasn't actually a hfa person, it was some professor analyzing political logos but i might be thinking of something different

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

that book is foundational for the study of gotv, but obviously there's a shitload of new studies since then. most of them are not public. and essentially the green study linked itt:

the study wasn't a very good one as they are far too small to really be conclusive, but even then they still don't find evidence for yard signs being Good

yard signs mean signs you put in yards, not signs exclusively for residential use

i imagine the shitload of signs you see at major intersections means the GOP actually figured this one out?

also, you say Yard Signs are expensive, what does that mean? how much can buying a bunch of tin things with plastic actually cost?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NewForumSoftware posted:

yard signs mean signs you put in yards, not signs exclusively for residential use

i imagine the shitload of signs you see at major intersections means the GOP actually figured this one out?

signs put in yards are what almost everyone thinks of when they think about yard signs. highway signs/barn signs are what you see at intersections, and the secret is the gop puts them out for the same reason dems do - they put them out along the candidate's route to work so they see them every day. i'm not even joking.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

signs put in yards are what almost everyone thinks of when they think about yard signs. highway signs/barn signs are what you see at intersections, and the secret is the gop puts them out for the same reason dems do - they put them out along the candidate's route to work so they see them every day. i'm not even joking.

herein is the most honest CC post submitted to the server

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

the secret is the gop puts them out for the same reason dems do - they put them out along the candidate's route to work so they see them every day. i'm not even joking.

do you have a link to a paper or something I can read about the ineffectiveness of yard signs, preferably published in the last decade?

also i dont know about you but I see a lot more of those signs than "along the route from candidates home to office"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

also, you say Yard Signs are expensive, what does that mean? how much can buying a bunch of tin things with plastic actually cost?

Isn't the point of yard signs is to sell them to supporters for a profit that go to fund the campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
YARD SIGNS

• Locked thread