Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sinteres posted:

Does this kind of policing of blackness/greatness seem super regressive to anyone else? I don't even like Curry, and it's not unreasonable to suspect he hasn't faced all of the same challenges some other players have faced in their lives, but very heavily suggesting he's not black enough to be the best basketball player in the world seems pretty hosed up.

http://theundefeated.com/features/last-word-on-the-nba-finals-lebron-james-kevin-durant/

"As one Hall of Famer specifically stated during the NBA Finals: “LeBron and other players in this league will never accept Curry as the best player. Never! Not only because they don’t consider him a physical freak, or even someone who’s better than them. But their refusal is also because they don’t view him as someone who had to endure the trials and tribulations they’ve endured.

“The public scrutiny. The negativity. Barely any of that. They view Curry as someone folks wanted us all to accept, not as someone like them you were forced to accept because of his greatness. They don’t dislike Curry at all. It’s not his fault. But they do look at him and society … and some say: He’s one of THEM. They would never say that about Durant.”

Translation: Nobody’s writing racial epithets on Curry’s front gate. Nor will anybody be talking behind his back about his family, his “posse,” his representation, his family background, pressuring him to conform to a definition of acceptability — or perform at such a surreal level that it simply doesn’t matter."

Clickbait by Stephen A Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd drive Dario back to Transylvania or wherever he's from if it means Kevin love plays

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

pubic works project posted:

Simon won't allow it. They have never tanked. They'll re-sign both and go after Hayward so they can show the fans that they tried and it's all PG's fault and not theirs.

And most shipwrecked sailors have never tried cannibalism.

It's just that at a certain point you don't have any other choice

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lockback posted:

Not sure why Hayward would take a paycut to leave a somewhat promising Utah team to go play for an awful Indiana team with no PG. And if Indiana loses PG, they should be gunning for picks not trying to chase a 30 win season with Hayward.

I didn't say Hayward would want to, just saying what I think the Pacers might try to do.

They should try to rebuild around Turner. Get some picks for PG. Unless Cleveland wants to give up Irving. If they're offering Love, I'd want them to try and find another team to take him so they can get picks.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Why is Stephen A Smith writing for the undefeated?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
black means goes in undefeated, thats just how non racist ESPN is..

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Did the Wolves really reject Lavine + #5 for Jimmy Butler, or was that never confirmed?

Yeah, pretty likely, the initial offer was Rubio + #5 and that was the supposed counter. There may have been another future pick from the Wolves thrown in too, they weren't at the final negotiations. Keep in mind, Butler took a bit of a step back in 2016 and battled some injuries that sorta made him look like he'd be more like a borderline all-star rather than the near-MVP candidate he was in 2017. The Timberwolves also know they will have room to sign a big-time FA at some point and not give up anything, but if they signed Butler they lose that ability.

I mean, I'm giving some of the mitigating factors just to tell the whole story, not as an excuse. Myself and numerous others were trying to will Thibs to slam the "ACCEPT TRADE PROPOSAL" button on the GMs real-life version of the 2K trade screen if this was true.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/876856913358704640

:banjo:

The Sacramento pick is protected too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That is a loving Hinkie-rear end Sam Hinkie Trade

The Spirit of Hinkie lives on.

Also with those protections, the trade is absolutely terrible for the Celtics and I cannot believe they made it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It's fine, I can't even judge it until we see what the pick turns into

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also with those protections, the trade is absolutely terrible for the Celtics and I cannot believe they made it.

In exchange for moving down 2 spots Celtics get a future #1 that is almost certainly going to be a top-5 pick (how those protections work I find it really hard to expect it to go lower). That seems like a pretty market-value deal.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

That is a loving Hinkie-rear end Sam Hinkie Trade

The Spirit of Hinkie lives on.

This is what happens when you keep on Trusting The Process.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ITS HAPPENING.GIF

I read BC's wiki page earlier. It made him out to be a good enough GM that had the white whale of Bargnani chasing him around. Y/N?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/876859929075867648

Yessss if they are going to be bad, make every game Lance dominated play.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Akileese posted:

This is why you don't fire literally every person who knows anything about a sport you cover.

Also, I know I'm real late but isn't Fultz supposed to be the closest thing to can't miss in this draft?

He's definitely the guy with the fewest flaws. The other potential Top 5 picks all have at least one glaring weakness they'll need to correct to become a star, but you have to work to find stuff you can be all that critical of with Fultz. Unless you want to somehow blame him for Washington being bad, his most notable issue is probably defensive effort, but he was stuck in a pretty hopeless situation so it's kinda hard to blame him. Plus, he's playing the least important defensive position, and most rookies suck on that end of the court anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Here's what the trade would have meant since 2008 (I started after the Oden/Durant draft because I feel like that's a good demarcation). Let's assume they get the Lakers pick at #5 since that seems like a likely midpoint of value.

2008: Give up Derrick Rose for OJ Mayo and Rubio (or the chance to draft Steph Curry) :thumbsup:
2009: Give up Blake for Harden and DeMarcus Cousins :thurman:
2010: Give up Wall for Derrick Favors and Valencunas (ouch) :(
2011: Give up Irving for Kanter and Thomas Robinson (another ouch) :(
2012: Give up Anthony Davis for Beal and Alex Len :(
2013: Give up Bennet (lol) or I guess you could have drafted Noel for Porter and Dante Exum. There are no winners here.
2014: Give up Wiggins for Embiid and Heronja. Still early on this one.

So really you lose out if you think the #1 is a great prospect (Wall, Irving, Davis) and you do well if you don't think the #1 is great. And even if the #1 is a huge prospect like Blake you still might come out ahead.

Seems like a decent deal to me that probably helps both sides.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/876859929075867648

Yessss if they are going to be bad, make every game Lance dominated play.

LANCE A MAKE 'EM DANCE!!!!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

#RTArmageddon is beyond hilarious right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kept possible #1 in 2019 nice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The way this works is sixers could still get number one over all the next two years lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

if you're trying to trade for Jimmy Butler, Brooklyn 2018 + Sacramento 2019 looks way better than Brookyln 2018 + maybe-the-lakers-2018-but-more-likely-the-2019-kings-unless-we're-unlucky-and-then-the-picks-bad

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Papa John dropped 20lbs!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If u are sixers fan #RTArmageddon owns rn

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

edit: nm. It's doesn't show the hilarious subtweets.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Can the Sixers even play Love and Simmons together? Maybe if Simmons adds lateral quickness and can guard 3s

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

If u are sixers fan #RTArmageddon owns rn

So many people deleting their tweets from the last several years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Redgrendel2001 posted:

edit: nm. It's doesn't show the hilarious subtweets.

The one you posted about some dude "undermining the Process" with a pretty mild take comes off as insane

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can the Sixers even play Love and Simmons together? Maybe if Simmons adds lateral quickness and can guard 3s

I think so

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

morestuff posted:

The one you posted about some dude "undermining the Process" with a pretty mild take comes off as insane

https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/status/876859251796439040

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
turns out not even steph curry can shoot his way out of the "paper bag"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I still don't see how a man of Simmons size will be able to defend anything but the 4 at the NBA level but it still remains to be seen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

if you're trying to trade for Jimmy Butler, Brooklyn 2018 + Sacramento 2019 looks way better than Brookyln 2018 + maybe-the-lakers-2018-but-more-likely-the-2019-kings-unless-we're-unlucky-and-then-the-picks-bad

I dunno, being able to give a team 2 swings at a top-5 pick instead of just 1 would look pretty good if you want to guarantee a return on moving your superstar.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

Papa John dropped 20lbs!!!

But did he gain 20 lbs of muscle?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/876873942190960640

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hahahaha Owns

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Brutal

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

lmao

:iceburn:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Someone is a bit cranky that they chose MCW over the Lakers pick.

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/876822079554945024

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/876829711544070144

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Okay, evidently there is a less burnt context.

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/876875139857645570

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9oy9vlx

Boom. Throw around some picks and let's make this happen.

• Locked thread