Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I have seen him exactly twice since the welcome back event. And it was the impotently basic attacking people and some ults I remember from beta. There doesn't need to be more heroes that are only good at a professional level of play.

Tyrael is good at every level of play. Just because you don't like him/aren't good with him doesn't represent an actual problem with him. Unlike he most heroes, he actually has 2 very good ults, and has a robust ability set. The only reason he needs a rework is that he has a bunch of generic talents still left (which they are rightly determined to get rid of) and that too many of his talents buff him while dead, so may as well not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Raynor, however, is someone who ACTUALLY needs a rework. His Trait is basically something other people would get for free, his E isn't actually an ability unless you take a specific talent for it, and he sees almost 0 competitive play.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Toshimo posted:

The only reason he needs a rework is that he has a bunch of generic talents still left (which they are rightly determined to get rid of) and that too many of his talents buff him while dead, so may as well not exist.

So then he does need a rework?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I think he needs a talent rework not something​ as dramatic as I'd like to see happen to Raynor or Lucio. Even when I'm doing well and making MVP as Lucio I feel like I'm doing nothing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Coolness Averted posted:

So then he does need a rework?

Technically, every hero needs a rework, because none of them are perfect.

But if you look at specific areas of improvement for heroes:
  • Kit
  • Power
  • Diversity
  • Skillcap
  • Theme
  • Playability
  • Modernity

Tyrael ticks like 2 things on this list, so while he "needs" a rework, it's only a priority insomuch as they care about the legacy generics. There are at least a dozen heroes who tick many more of the boxes and "need" a rework much sooner.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Maybe it's just randomness but he seems crazy unpopular. If no one is picking someone they should be considered for changes. Tyrael doesn't have a really niche kit like Mehdiv or Vikings. Actually Rehgar is a guy I never see too. I tried him again and it felt real bad but it was probably a team comp thing. But it's possible that the changing cast has left him behind too. With how much some of the characters have changed I'm surprised others are so stagnant

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Tyrael is a fantastic diver, and really facilitates other dive heroes. I just hang out with butchers and kerrigans and the like, help them kill if I need to, and help them bug out.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
No one picks Tyrael because he's boring as poo poo and not even in a way where you get lots of kills like Raynor

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
A hero can be awesome and also boring

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe it's just randomness but he seems crazy unpopular. If no one is picking someone they should be considered for changes. Tyrael doesn't have a really niche kit like Mehdiv or Vikings. Actually Rehgar is a guy I never see too. I tried him again and it felt real bad but it was probably a team comp thing. But it's possible that the changing cast has left him behind too. With how much some of the characters have changed I'm surprised others are so stagnant

He's 18th in popularity for QM out of 67 heroes in HotsLogs. He's middle of the pack in popularity in HL.

YOUR ANECDOTE IS NOT DATA. JUST STOP.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just sort of think Nazeebo feels like he's not my style, you know, and I only saw him once in the three quick match games I played last week. Let's rework him.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 19, 2017

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

KillerQueen posted:

Tyrael is a fantastic diver, and really facilitates other dive heroes. I just hang out with butchers and kerrigans and the like, help them kill if I need to, and help them bug out.

This. He's one of the few tanks I do well with because I'm a support-minded player and his kit is awesome to complement an actual damage dealer like Greymane or Kerrigan. Dive in + slow the enemy with Q, shield your buddy with W, Bug out/chase survivors with E, panic R when things start going FUBAR or you hear the sound cue for ring of frost/mosh pit/whatever.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Toshimo posted:

He's 18th in popularity for QM out of 67 heroes in HotsLogs. He's middle of the pack in popularity in HL.

This is a dumb loving statistic because he's one of the oldest heroes

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

This is a dumb loving statistic because he's one of the oldest heroes

I don't think you understand how hotslogs works.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

bamhand posted:

I don't think you understand how hotslogs works.

I don't think this is a useful post

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Hotslogs is a compiler of anecdotes :shrug:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
:toot: EU vs EU finals here we come! :toot:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I don't think this is a useful post

Hint: The stats are only based off of the most recent few weeks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Toshimo retire bitch

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean he's an insufferable rear end in a top hat but he's actually right in this case.

e: just like TCJimbo and JakeP usually are. By the way, want to know how I got this av? :v:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

BrianBoitano posted:

I mean he's an insufferable rear end in a top hat but he's actually right in this case.

e: just like TCJimbo and JakeP usually are. By the way, want to know how I got this av? :v:

Yeah but he always posts everything in such a miserable insufferable way that I don't care?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Tyrael's problem is his attack animation is really limp. Arthas has a similar issue. There's no pop to it at all.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SKULL.GIF posted:

Tyrael's problem is his attack animation is really limp. Arthas has a similar issue. There's no pop to it at all.

Yeah but at least when Arthas smacks em with Trait it looks painful

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have a friend who feels that Tyrael doesn't have a sword, he has a breadstick.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Tyrael's aesthetic is awesome and most of his skins look badass too, I wish he wasn't so boring to play

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

garthoneeye posted:

I have a friend who feels that Tyrael doesn't have a sword, he has a breadstick.

You think this bread doesnt do damage well whats it called in French bitch??

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Ristolaz posted:

Hahahaha

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Ristolaz posted:

:eyepop:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Ristolaz posted:

:hellyeah:

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I can kind of understand that a hard engage dive tank that wants your entire team to stack up on top of the enemy in a giant ball of death and murder isn't necessarily everyone's preferred playstyle, but "boring"..?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gustav posted:

I can kind of understand that a hard engage dive tank that wants your entire team to stack up on top of the enemy in a giant ball of death and murder isn't necessarily everyone's preferred playstyle, but "boring"..?

When people have a 5th grade vocabulary, they just toss words in that seem to fit.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Toshimo posted:

When people have a 5th grade vocabulary, they just toss words in that seem to fit.

lol

"Clearly this fool is uneducated to have an OPINION about a video game! Also I am a rational human being that simply rages and condescends about a video game all day every day."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Gustav posted:

There's plenty of dive characters. Regardless of their quality Tyrael's abilities feel kind of limp.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Really nice to see HOTS in the top 5 on twitch tbh. Mid-season brawl even has more views than the last day of Dreamhack for Hearthstone.

Truly the tale of the little game (by one of the world's most popular studios) that could.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

dead game for casuals EleGiggle

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Watching that last game on HGC was both extremely exciting because goddamn did Dignitas play and react well but also very depressing because I cannot come anywhere close to that level of play. Watching people who are actually good at the game play always makes me want to improve.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Doesn't "hard engage dive tank" basically describe Anubarak to a tee? Watching Grubby play probably doesn't give the broadest view of the game but Anub always winds up a first draft or ban in most of the games he seems to play while Tyrael is a relative oddity.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Anub is one of the most powerful heroes in the game, quite possibly the actual strongest, and since his main gimmick is CC he slides into pretty much any comp you can dream up. It's not really a fair benchmark to compare other heroes to Anub.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tyreal's problem is design-related, and the majority of the complaints stem from the experience the average player gets from playing him:

1) All of his core CC is soft, so it's very difficult to tell when you're doing well with him. This is opposed to characters like ETC, Anub'arak, or Muradin, who have very clear indicators that you've done something important because they roll with Stuns.
    2) His damage output is moderate to low, making him feel like more of a nuisance than a threat most of the time. This is opposed to characters like Arthas, Sonya, or Zarya who put out a lot of damage for being Warriors.
    3) He's not insanely durable like other tanks are/can be. This is opposed to characters like Chen, Stitches, or Johanna, who are all well-suited to taking a beating on the regular.
    4) His talents (excluding an amazing few like Holy Ground) are really boring. Tyreal has probably suffered from Best Build Syndrome probably the longest out of any other character in HOTS.

Tyreal lacks a "wow" factor. That's not to say he's not good - he wouldn't be as popular as he is if he wasn't good - but he has trouble standing out. When Blizzard did a pass on all of the Warriors and tried to give them unique identities and purposes, all Tyreal got was some Spell Armor and the removal of Imposing Will (a change that, to this day, still smells like piss), while others got major overhauls and many talent functionalities baked in. Of course, it doesn't help that he effectively has an anti-trait, compared to so many other characters that have cool and good things that they get for free while all Tyreal gets is the ability to blow his load post-mortem.

Basically my point is this:

Bring back Cast Aside and bake in half of Holy Ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Tyrael's very difficult to use well but he's one of the most engaging tanks in the game, I really enjoy playing him. Works best with another warrior, if you find him boring try playing him more aggressively than you are currently (but also without trying to die), it's challenging but really rewarding. Power Bottom istotall right about Imposing Will, though, that was bullshit.