Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok cool. I'll fancy this up to the max!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I think I'll give my sicaran venator a try next time I fight guard or tau or something. With its main gun and 3 heavy bolters it's not that much more than s predator annihilator. If I think I'll see vehicles it should be really nice.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The internet being down and a heatwave lead to me getting both more painting than i'd expected done and less than I'd like, but I'm rather pleased with how this one turned out.

Was listening to Know No Fear while working on this and I lost it when they fistbumped.

Just need to tidy up the badge, hopefully by the time I've freehanded the ultramarines insignia twenty times I'll have figured out a consistent method.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

The internet being down

!!!!!!!

Who's your ISP? I'm an engineer with most likely another provider and I'm trying to figure out what upstream is busted.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

!!!!!!!

Who's your ISP? I'm an engineer with most likely another provider and I'm trying to figure out what upstream is busted.

Sky, went down thursday evening and came back around half seven today.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I think Decimators might be good now?? They're about the same cost as a Hellbrute, and the weapon options are probably better:

In fact, most of the chaos stuff in the Forgeworld Index seems worth taking; the only downside I see is that you can't take any of it in a traitor legion list (i.e no Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children, etc, keyword)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Sky, went down thursday evening and came back around half seven today.

Probably unrelated then. It looks like a pretty decent chunk of the US is having internet trouble right now, for the record. I'll stop the derail.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

xtothez posted:

Uh they're really not. You didn't mention the biggest advantages... firstly they're protected by the Character rule making them a lot harder to pick off than venomthropes. Their spore cloud rule affects all tyranid units (not just infantry), making your MCs less susceptible to heavy weapons in a way that isn't negated by AP. Finally their new Preferred Enemy rule works armywide and can be easily triggered with Heroic Intervention, without them even needing to fight in combat.

Malanthropes are now basically a Prime crossed with a much better venomthrope brood. I do think 200pts is a bit pricey for them, but 150-180 is pretty justified.

I disagree. The 3 inch bubble, combined with them only having 5" movement means that you're severely limiting the movement of your other units if you want to keep them in range of his bubble. Tyranids are fast, mobile, strikers. The malanthrope is slow. Sure, being a character helps protect it, but then you have to have a unit sit back and bodyguard it. That's just not the Tyranids thing.

Sure, prey adaptation is good if it triggers, but I just don't see it triggering very often. It had it in the old version and I don't recall it ever triggering.

Maybe if it was -2 to hit, but -1 just isn't that much of a reduction. Some units like exocrines and termagants will benefit, but for 10 power it just seems overpriced. If it were 4 power, putting it around the old price, sure, I'd be all about it. But a Trygon is only 8 power and you're gonna get way more use out of that.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Nothing quite like painting in a room as hot as a sauna, desk fan ineffectually blasting warm air towards you, as you race against time to finish what you're doing before the paint dries on the brush. Screw you, weather, I'm finishing this dreadnought :mad:

I've got several pots of old (former paint range) washes that haven't taken the last 2 years particularly well, to the point where they've completely split apart and formed a layer of sediment with the consistency of jelly. No amount of shaking and stirring is mixing it back together again, just producing a milky shade of whatever colour it's supposed to be. Are they hosed or can I still save these?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I think Decimators might be good now?? They're about the same cost as a Hellbrute, and the weapon options are probably better:

In fact, most of the chaos stuff in the Forgeworld Index seems worth taking; the only downside I see is that you can't take any of it in a traitor legion list (i.e no Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children, etc, keyword)

Sure you can, they share the HERETIC ASTARTES and CHAOS keywords

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

The internet being down and a heatwave lead to me getting both more painting than i'd expected done and less than I'd like, but I'm rather pleased with how this one turned out.

Was listening to Know No Fear while working on this and I lost it when they fistbumped.

Just need to tidy up the badge, hopefully by the time I've freehanded the ultramarines insignia twenty times I'll have figured out a consistent method.

This guy looks great! Have you tried using transfers for the Ultramarines insignia? I've found it to be a lot less headache-inducing than freehanding everything.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Plus that Decimator says <Legion> which you can make into any legion you want.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

This guy looks great! Have you tried using transfers for the Ultramarines insignia? I've found it to be a lot less headache-inducing than freehanding everything.

I probably should, I still have a deep and abiding hatred of transfers from when I was 12.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus that Decimator says <Legion> which you can make into any legion you want.

enh... maybe. The legion rules in Index Chaos might take precedence, which give very defined lists of what can have the World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, or Emperor's Children keywords. I forget if they covered that in the FW Indexes, but I'd be surprised if they were smart enough to do that.

e: Yep, just looked at the epub and nothing allowing those legions to take FW vehicles. Fuckin lol that Forgeworld charges money for these books

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 19, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TheChirurgeon posted:

enh... maybe. The legion rules in Index Chaos might take precedence, which give very defined lists of what can have the World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, or Emperor's Children keywords. I forget if they covered that in the FW Indexes, but I'd be surprised if they were smart enough to do that.

From what's been seen, there isn't. The only errata is about how Macro weapons work and that's it. As far as RAW, you can include anything in the Index as long as you give it the correct <Legion> or run as a Heretic Astartes army.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
How do Primaris marines work in the non-standard chapters?

Can you have Grey Knight or Blood Angel Primaris marines gaining the bonuses/penalties out the chapters?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Grey Knights and Deathwatch don't get Primaris, but the others can take them.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

Malanthropes

Agreed, I fielded a Malanthrope using the preview blurb last week as a test and they seem terrific. Their -1 to hit works on Tyranid Monsters too unlike Venomthropes.

What I'm curious about is the other critters.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Anyone in the US looking for just the rulebook? I'll have an extra one shortly for $40 shipped via media mail - PM me. I'll include the rules insert as well, just out of completeness.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

dexefiend posted:

How do Primaris marines work in the non-standard chapters?

Can you have Grey Knight or Blood Angel Primaris marines gaining the bonuses/penalties out the chapters?

Grey Knights (and Deathwatch) can't technically take Primaris, at least not in the same detachment.

You can take them as a separate detachment and give them the Grey Knight/Deathwatch keyword, but this is shady RAW/RAI teritory, and regardless you wouldn't get the faction specific bonuses (Special Issue Ammo and w/e Grey Knights get.

Blood Angels and the vaguely more normal divergent chapters like Space Wolves and Dark Angels can take Primaris normally, and give out their chapter specific rules to them to boot.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SteelMentor posted:

Grey Knights (and Deathwatch) can't technically take Primaris, at least not in the same detachment.

You can take them as a separate detachment and give them the Grey Knight/Deathwatch keyword, but this is shady RAW/RAI teritory, and regardless you wouldn't get the faction specific bonuses (Special Issue Ammo and w/e Grey Knights get.

Blood Angels and the vaguely more normal divergent chapters like Space Wolves and Dark Angels can take Primaris normally, and give out their chapter specific rules to them to boot.

They can be in the same detachment, just not with the same keyword. Your detachment only needs to share one keyword.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Soulfucker posted:

Agreed, I fielded a Malanthrope using the preview blurb last week as a test and they seem terrific. Their -1 to hit works on Tyranid Monsters too unlike Venomthropes.

What I'm curious about is the other critters.

I'm taking both a Malanthrope & Dimachaeron for the first time in my game tomoro night, looking forward to seeing how they do. My plan is that the -1 to hit on key units will help land a few early charges.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Naramyth posted:

They can be in the same detachment, just not with the same keyword. Your detachment only needs to share one keyword.

There's a line in the Primaris book that comes with the starter set about all Space Marines that are in the same detachment needing to share a Chapter keyword, fyi.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

I'm taking both a Malanthrope & Dimachaeron for the first time in my game tomoro night, looking forward to seeing how they do. My plan is that the -1 to hit on key units will help land a few early charges.

Cool! Do you know the rules for the Dimachaeron?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It must be an awkward first day when you show up fresh from your Mechanicus gestation tube and have to hang out and try to fit in with a bunch of mopey pretty boys that take naps in blood bank caskets. For that matter, how long until the fresh batch of Primaris BA get to apply Mk XV Adamantem Pattern nipples to their breastplates?

Did all the Primaris dudes headed for the Dark Angels and the various Unforgiven successors get THE TALK together or did a bunch of chaplains have to take time out of their busy torturing schedules to run through the various wings and dark secrets in small group sessions? Seems inefficient.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Potential BFF posted:

It must be an awkward first day when you show up fresh from your Mechanicus gestation tube and have to hang out and try to fit in with a bunch of mopey pretty boys that take naps in blood bank caskets. For that matter, how long until the fresh batch of Primaris BA get to apply Mk XV Adamantem Pattern nipples to their breastplates?

Did all the Primaris dudes headed for the Dark Angels and the various Unforgiven successors get THE TALK together or did a bunch of chaplains have to take time out of their busy torturing schedules to run through the various wings and dark secrets in small group sessions? Seems inefficient.

Or picture the Corax Primaris getting shuffled off to the Space Wolves.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
What are your thoughts on the various ancients? Since they only affect models within 6 and not units, are they worth the cost?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Pendent posted:

There's a line in the Primaris book that comes with the starter set about all Space Marines that are in the same detachment needing to share a Chapter keyword, fyi.

This must be a mistake, because it's not in literally any of the other rules.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

I probably should, I still have a deep and abiding hatred of transfers from when I was 12.

Give em a go, Trim the transfer as close to the design as you can (even cutting the hole out of the middle of the U) and use Micro Set/Micro Sol and follow that up with varnish - you can get great results pretty easily that way. If I had to freehand everything that I've been doing, I'd go nuts.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Soulfucker posted:

Cool! Do you know the rules for the Dimachaeron?

They're (just) readable in the FW index digital preview

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/52748/dimachaeron-stats

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

They're (just) readable in the FW index digital preview

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/52748/dimachaeron-stats

Thanks! 12" Movement :rms:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Pendent posted:

The starter set also has different points from the indexes. The indexes don't have such a provision.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

chutche2 posted:

What are your thoughts on the various ancients? Since they only affect models within 6 and not units, are they worth the cost?

From what I've seen, they're too different to make a blanket call on good or bad.

SangGuard Ancients are great, anyway.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

From what I've seen, they're too different to make a blanket call on good or bad.

SangGuard Ancients are great, anyway.

Dunno about those but the 3 vanilla ones look almost identical to each other.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's really hard for me to want to depend very much on buffing characters simply due to the fact that it's so easy for them to fail their charge and completely screw you over. I've played two games of 8th so far and both times I've had huge issues when a character misses the charge.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
The malanthrope really only works if there is a typo in its description. It says it affects MODELS but it should be UNITS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Staples will spiral bound your Index books for 6.99. I really like laying my stuff flat so it was worth it.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

SRM posted:

And here's some of his Tinboyz he just finished; somebody was posting about Tinboyz in the old thread and I thought the timing was good:

gently caress
YES

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Staples will spiral bound your Index books for 6.99. I really like laying my stuff flat so it was worth it.

Care to show what this looks like with a photo? There is a staples down the road from my work so I might do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB