Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren: YARD SIGNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

commercial marketing and political advertising are different. you can't go into a store and buy a hillary clinton on a whim (unless you're a lobbyist amirite??). a soda company wants you to spend as much of your day as possible thinking about their soda, hopefully maximizing the likelihood that you buy it. that's not actually a good goal for most political candidates, unless absolutely no one has ever heard of you. ultimately it's about creating positive feelings for your candidate, or negative feelings toward the opponent. a logo doesn't accomplish that.

coca cola has spent decades and billions making sure you associate happiness with coke, also with the color red.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm a yard sign, what was the question?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

NewForumSoftware posted:

do you have a link to a paper or something I can read about the ineffectiveness of yard signs, preferably published in the last decade?

"I have this book right here that explains clearly that a horse and buggy moves slowly past so the candidate inside can read their sign."

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

okay maybe not billions, but hundreds of millions at least

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Hillary Clinton would have won of her team properly invested in yard signs.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it's going to come down how hard you chilled... in cedar rapids

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the yard signs bit is good because it's a metaphor for how the upper middle class white and metropolitan clinton campaign saw itself as entitled to victory without having to do the nitty gritty of real campaigning. their technocratic silicon valley fetishists saw electioneering as yet another industry to "disrupt"

and whoo boy, did they sure disrupt something

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Yard signs are like WAAAGGGHHH!!! banners. You need them to convince your side you're winning and have the momentum is a functioning team.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Political Divisions in 2016 and Beyond: Tensions Between and Within the Two Parties, via the political scientist Lee Drutman.

Has anybody reviewed this report yet? I'm about halfway through, will finish after work. Seems pretty useful.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NewForumSoftware posted:

do you have a link to a paper or something I can read about the ineffectiveness of yard signs, preferably published in the last decade?

also i dont know about you but I see a lot more of those signs than "along the route from candidates home to office"

i mean the green study itself said putting signs in yards didn't work, and 2 of the 4 experiments generated a negative result. so the fact that the studies are mixed in and of itself isn't so hot, not to mention that everyone is really more concerned about the yard portion of yard signs than just whether or not there's a sign. just on hand i have a (still unpublished, i think) study from green and brookman showing yard signs on issue campaigns won't influence voters, and also one from late 2015 showing outdoor advertising failed to improve voter turnout. it's hard to find more recent studies because, well, people don't really research yard signs that much anymore.

Terror Sweat posted:

coca cola has spent decades and billions making sure you associate happiness with coke, also with the color red.

ok?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Taintrunner posted:

the yard signs bit is good because it's a metaphor for how the upper middle class white and metropolitan clinton campaign saw itself as entitled to victory without having to do the nitty gritty of real campaigning. their technocratic silicon valley fetishists saw electioneering as yet another industry to "disrupt"

the issue with the clinton campaign was that it was overly-conventional. they didn't try to disrupt poo poo. it's not like this yard sign poo poo is new, every campaign has the same whinging about yard signs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

the neoliberal austerity at mcdonalds really does taste better because the syrup comes in nonreactive metal canisters instead of plastic bags like everywhere else

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

i dont really get how yard signs "don't work" and yet the advertising industry somehow exists and will monetize any open space in the aim of getting your eyeballs to simply look at a logo

how could yard signs be any worse than a billboard or "welp you looked!" bus stop ads?

Follow up question:

how could you possible know whether yard signs work or not?

advertising is different in a number of key ways

the chief difference being that the reason companies do so much advertising isn't necessarily because it works, it's because companies have nothing better to do with their money anyway. no point investing in production or product quality when your customers are poorer than ever and consumer demand is in the toilet. might as well plow money into playing a jingle 10x a day in case it makes people think of your product when they're staring at ten identical brands of mass-produced crackers at the store

Taintrunner posted:

nah, it's more a metaphor for how the Clinton campaign thought elections were about efficiently micromanaging money flow rather than, y'know, actually appealing to people

like, yard signs might help or they might not, but they certainly won't hurt, so what the gently caress ever, why not buy some? except that according to the Clinton consultants, winning elections is all about spending the most money in the places with highest ROI, so every dollar is precious and any money that's spent on yard signs is money that can't be spent on hypertargeted advertising or voter list analysis or whatever euphemisms they have for "padding a political consultant's pockets"

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

the issue with the clinton campaign was that it was overly-conventional. they didn't try to disrupt poo poo. it's not like this yard sign poo poo is new, every campaign has the same whinging about yard signs

That is so weird, I remember Obama signs loving everywhere

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iirc that wasn't actually a hfa person, it was some professor analyzing political logos but i might be thinking of something different

it was definitely someone who worked with the campaign in some capacity

i was struck by it because it was almost verbatim a cynical joke conclusion i wrote in an undergrad paper 15 years ago because the prof told me i had to have something at the end

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

zegermans posted:

your av isn't very shy

That's because I'm with friends

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

zegermans posted:

Yard signs are like WAAAGGGHHH!!! banners. You need them to convince your side you're winning and have the momentum is a functioning team.

Basically

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Democrats are born of spores left from yard signs

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/876883583356502016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

That is so weird, I remember Obama signs loving everywhere

every. cycle.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

whats a yard?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Did Chafee use meter signs instead?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

this is the smuggest poo poo imaginable

quote:

Yes, of course it would be nice to have more yard signs. If organizers had an infinite amount of time, they would be happy to pester their bosses up the ladder to see when they’re coming in. Then they’d love to chat with you about how someone stole or defaced them, and run a bunch of replacements right out.

But in the very purple, exurban Northern Virginia neighborhoods there is a problem. There’s a walk list sitting in a campaign office not being walked and knocked, and a newly-registered voter who projects as .45 of a vote for Obama is not being registered.

"sorry, I know you're really excited about Obama and want to be part of the movement, but our projections say you're only worth 0.25 of a vote for Obama, so we don't have time to spend on someone like you who probably won't vote anyway. we need to go spend time on people the computers and demographics say have a higher vote chance than you, a person who cared enough to come to the office and ask for a yard sign"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh my god who could possibly care. if the election can be decided by yard signs you the candidate have deeply hosed up

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

"sorry, I know you're really excited about Obama and want to be part of the movement, but our projections say you're only worth 0.25 of a vote for Obama, so we don't have time to spend on someone like you who probably won't vote anyway. we need to go spend time on people the computers and demographics say have a higher vote chance than you, a person who cared enough to come to the office and ask for a yard sign"

With strategy like this how dare the voters think democrats hold the public in contempt. This must be the fault of those dastardly Russians

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

there's a certain irony in the woke party using demographic projections to stereotype behavior in contradiction with a different behavior being exhibited right in front of them

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
on the other hand, he won

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

Did Chafee use meter signs instead?

no wonder he lost

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't the point of yard signs is to sell them to supporters for a profit that go to fund the campaign?

Maybe that might work for a high profile race, but even then you won't make a real profit. Not enough people are going to buy your lovely yard signs for $20 a pop to even come close to offsetting the cost of having them printed.

For smaller races they're really the only tool for name recognition short of candidate knocking on thousands of doors. If you can get the guy who lives across the street from the local high school to put a "Nastier Nate for city council" sign on their lawn, alot of people are going to see that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Nastier Nate posted:

For smaller races they're really the only tool for name recognition short of candidate knocking on thousands of doors. If you can get the guy who lives across the street from the local high school to put a "Nastier Nate for city council" sign on their lawn, alot of people are going to see that.

What if the candidate doesn't drive by the high school on their way to work?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Nastier Nate posted:

and for a city council race it's generally very easy and affordable to deal with signs - you just leave a couple dozen in the county democratic office and they'll all get put out eventually. it's much more of a pain for high profile races to blanket a state, and not really worth it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Thoguh posted:

What if the candidate doesn't drive by the high school on their way to work?

what if they can't legally get that close

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh my god who could possibly care. if the election can be decided by ads in LA you the candidate have deeply hosed up

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

NewForumSoftware posted:

how can you know that? is there like some kind of seminal paper you're referencing or is this just 'well the consultants in the know...'

like im pretty sure "do ads work?" is a difficult question in of itself, much less identifying which one works

Having people thinking about your candidate all the time is:

good if you are good at hyping up your base and turning them out to vote

and

bad if you are not well liked and typically when your being talked about it's demoralizing.

This is in 2016 non-stop wall to wall trump coverage didn't really stop him. His negatives weren't negatives to his base which turned out bigly (well bigly in key areas) while Clintons absolutely were negatives to her base.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Political Divisions in 2016 and Beyond: Tensions Between and Within the Two Parties, via the political scientist Lee Drutman.

Has anybody reviewed this report yet? I'm about halfway through, will finish after work. Seems pretty useful.

The part that the democrats are far to the left on identity issues is silly but it's dead on that polarization is only going to get worse because of the self reinforcing cultural segregation that's helped along by gerrymandering. There are more big D and big R districts than there ever have been. Swing voters are sleeping with the christies as they say in NJ

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
I remember when I lived in Houston and tried to get involved with the local democratic party before the 2014 midterms. After much searching, I finally found the party "HQ" (a converted doctor's office in an office tower) which was nearly empty. There was a bell to ring and some old dude came doddering out. I asked if there was anything I could do to help out. I received a blank stare and he handed me a sign-up sheet to put my email address on then sent me on my way.

When I was at UT, I was part of Students for Barack Obama and whenever we had potential volunteers show up, we'd put them to work immediately. Not just put them on a DNC mailing list to beg for money every day. I don't know if I even got requests to phonebank or volunteer in other ways from the local Democratic party. If I did, they were lost in the avalanche of DNC fundraising emails and requests to put my name on bullshit online petitions nobody cares about. gently caress the useless consultant class. I guess it's smart for neoliberal consultants to just smother any potential progressive energy and activism in a blanket of fundraising and petition spam so that there won't be any real change.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Venom Snake posted:

The part that the democrats are far to the left on identity issues is silly but it's dead on that polarization is only going to get worse because of the self reinforcing cultural segregation that's helped along by gerrymandering. There are more big D and big R districts than there ever have been. Swing voters are sleeping with the christies as they say in NJ

Just finished reading through this. A few weird things:

1) nothing about views on military intervention
2) nothing about voters ---> nonvoters
3) nothing about nonvoters ---> voters
3a) nothing about first time voters

still good tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol I found the study they reference

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261379415002310

best part?

how much did the ol hilldog lose by again?

Lmaoooooooooo

• Locked thread