Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Regarding the second point, I don't think there is any great secret to transforming from Titan to human--I suspect it just takes a lot of effort and focus. The transformation is also likely to be very traumatic, based on Ymir's flashback, and if you don't know changing back is possible in the first place it's entirely possible you might just give up and let the elements cover you the way she did. Eating that guy isn't what changed her back, but fulfilling that directive (which all Titans possess in some form it seems, because they certainly don't need to eat) somehow aided her in regaining her focus/sanity long enough to revert.

Pretty sure it's not eating a person, but eating a shifter. When Ymir is resting on the top of the wall, she says "If you hadn't come to bust up this wall I wouldn't never woken up from that nightmare. All I'm doing is returning what I borrowed back then." She ate a shifter (Marcel) and borrowed one person's worth of shifting away from the city/civilization, so she needs to return it by going back and (presumably) letting herself be eaten by whomever the state wants to be the next soldier to go in. If eating shifters wasn't necessary, then there's no logical reason for her to feel guilty enough to return to her death.
I just realized this meant that Reiner, Bertolt, Annie, and Marcel all ate people when they were young. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Maera Sior posted:

I just realized this meant that Reiner, Bertolt, Annie, and Marcel all ate people when they were young. :stonk:

Reiner or Bertold ask Ymir at one point if she remembers the person she ate or something. And since they were speaking as if they knew she had, and as if it was definitely a single person, that's why I thought just eating one person was the trigger. But having to eat a shifter makes more sense. But then, who was the first shifter and how?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Reiner or Bertold ask Ymir at one point if she remembers the person she ate or something. And since they were speaking as if they knew she had, and as if it was definitely a single person, that's why I thought just eating one person was the trigger. But having to eat a shifter makes more sense. But then, who was the first shifter and how?

Yeah, they keep on not answering that and I can't figure it out either. Maybe there was originally a different type of serum and the method was lost?
ETA: Thinking about it, the first shot of the ED with the people eating the corpse could be a reference to how you could create more than one shifter at a time. If one shifter is killed and divided between multiple titans, could that result in multiple shifters?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 19, 2017

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

BrainDance posted:

I never started reading the manga like I planned, just two pages of an action sequence that was all just onomatopoeia and I got bored

Personally, I dropped the Manga twice in the Arc coming up after where S2 ended. And Looking back I'm still not too hot on that Arc, so waiting for the Anime may not be the worst idea. But different strokes for different folks.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BO-qoV_-ew

What is everyone's favorite OPs so far? Mine is the S2 one. Also I noticed in the season 1 part 2 OP they sort of hint at Reiner, Bert and Anne being grouped together. I remember when I watched I thought the order was just some random side characters, but now it seems like the grouped them by titan affiliation. There's a part where it shows some face looking on and its those three in order. Then before that Is Ymir and then Historias face, so just based on that I'm thinking Historia is a titan. Plus the facial expressions of hers matches Reimer/Bert/Annes, a sort of sideglance turning away from the horror, and not the frightened expression of the presumably non-titan characters.

I love all of them, but S1's Guren no Yumiya has gotta be my favorite. The ending of the extended version of S2 JIyuu no Tsubasa from 3:45 to 5:28 is the best sounding part of any of them, though. Holy poo poo.) Speaking of foreshadowing in the songs, for a long time the top rated comment on the video of ED2 Great Esacape was, hilariously, "Boy Bertholdt sure looks mad at that wall. Hope he doesn't smash it."

Incidentally, reading through the comments here, I was thinking that some people who were anime only would want to know if the basement would be answered in the season next year, so then they could decide if they wanted to hold out for the reveal in anime form. If it's not too spoilery for this thread, I can put a simple yes or no in a full line of spoiler text padded to hide if the answer is yes or no. Like this:
This is an example. The extended length is to hide the answer. This is an example.

Or you can PM me. Honestly, anyone can PM me to ask, "Will X be answered next season, Yes or No or Partially" for whatever they want if they're deciding to hold out to next year, or go ahead and read the manga.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Catalina posted:

Incidentally, reading through the comments here, I was thinking that some people who were anime only would want to know if the basement would be answered in the season next year, so then they could decide if they wanted to hold out for the reveal in anime form.

Very likely yes, if the next season is 2 cours again. The S3 announcement showed the latest manga cover, and that's past the basement reveal.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why do the titans eat people at all?

They are ravenously hungry and seem extremely motivated by this desire but they do not require food to sustain themselves. I'm thinking there's some titan entanglement relationship where the mindless titan is entangled with a mind-possessing human, and that their desire is not to consume the body but the correct mind - the one they are entangles with - to get their consciousness back. That is why the titans resemble humans we see around, they are resembling a specific person, they are blown-up representations that need to find their source in order to become whole again. Working off this shifter theory that you guys are talking about, I've been thinking that perhaps the mindless titans are like Ymir before she at the person that cured her of her mindlessness - whoever the hell her wierdass titan resembles. I'm also thinking the fact that Bert and her dont resemble their human futures is significant, while Anne and Reiner's titan form do. Maybe they are the result of a different titan producing process where their titan form isnt representative of the shifter but some third party.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why do the titans eat people at all?

They are ravenously hungry and seem extremely motivated by this desire but they do not require food to sustain themselves. I'm thinking there's some titan entanglement relationship where the mindless titan is entangled with a mind-possessing human, and that their desire is not to consume the body but the correct mind - the one they are entangles with - to get their consciousness back. That is why the titans resemble humans we see around, they are resembling a specific person, they are blown-up representations that need to find their source in order to become whole again. Working off this shifter theory that you guys are talking about, I've been thinking that perhaps the mindless titans are like Ymir before she at the person that cured her of her mindlessness - whoever the hell her wierdass titan resembles. I'm also thinking the fact that Bert and her dont resemble their human futures is significant, while Anne and Reiner's titan form do. Maybe they are the result of a different titan producing process where their titan form isnt representative of the shifter but some third party.

It's an interesting thought, but it's hard to say whether Bertato resembles his titan since it doesn't have skin.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

My guess is that titans eat people because they were designed to. They're made of some light energy, some very light substance that needs light to function. I suspect they were originally designed by some advanced society somewhere or something that discovered this special light energy and made them into a war weapon. And then, for some reason (or maybe by design, maybe the creators are somewhere perfectly safe and rosy) they got out of control and just wiped out the rest of the world/reproduced somehow very fast.

But if that's the case that doesn't explain what the hell Annie, Bertoldt and Reiner are trying to do or fighting for. But nothing loving explains what the hell they're on about, like I can't begin to create a reason they're trying to gently caress up everyone and return to their "hometown" or whatever the gently caress they're on about.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Maera Sior posted:

I'm trying to recall what we know about him and all I can remember is... Maps, maybe?

The show has his parents getting killed by the state for trying to create a flying machine to go beyond the walls. I think there was an OVA about it?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It's an interesting thought, but it's hard to say whether Bertato resembles his titan since it doesn't have skin.

They both have kinda long faces. Although by that logic Jean could've been the Colossal Titan too :v:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

BrainDance posted:

But if that's the case that doesn't explain what the hell Annie, Bertoldt and Reiner are trying to do or fighting for. But nothing loving explains what the hell they're on about, like I can't begin to create a reason they're trying to gently caress up everyone and return to their "hometown" or whatever the gently caress they're on about.
There's another civilization outside the walls, we saw it in Ymir's flashback All of the shifters (minus Eren) are from there, and most of the titans are from there too. There's some conflict between the groups that's very old, going on for long enough that most people within the walls have forgotten anything outside exists. It could have started from anything that's been a cause of wars: ethno-religious conflicts, territorial disputes, resources required for societal survival, personal conflicts within the ruling families. Whatever civilization that's outside the walls remembers that there's another group that has something they want, and they're pissed.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

There's another civilization outside the walls, we saw it in Ymir's flashback All of the shifters (minus Eren) are from there, and most of the titans are from there too. There's some conflict between the groups that's very old, going on for long enough that most people within the walls have forgotten anything outside exists. It could have started from anything that's been a cause of wars: ethno-religious conflicts, territorial disputes, resources required for societal survival, personal conflicts within the ruling families. Whatever civilization that's outside the walls remembers that there's another group that has something they want, and they're pissed.

Alot must have changed since then because I don't see how anyone with a strong coordinator power wouldn't go nuclear and unleash all the Colossal Titans (assuming they're more than one Colossal titan that we've seen in the broken wall) in the walls after having not one but two of the country's defenses breached. Or maybe AoT is doing the whole "powerful men sacrificing people to save their own skin." thing.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I forget where it was specifically mentioned but the first titan showed up 107 years ago. I think it was also mentioned that Ymir became a titan 90 years ago.

Also, I don't think Eren ate his dad. The first time he fully transformed to plug the hole in the wall he falls into a dreamlike state that seems similar to what Ymir was describing. Eren managed to snap out of it by punching himself in the face and having Armin stab him. If he had eaten his dad to restore his human form then would he still have had "control" issues he exhibited when he transformed that first time? Maybe having to eat another shifter isn't a required part of the process? Maybe there are different processes that have different requirements?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Brutakas posted:

I forget where it was specifically mentioned but the first titan showed up 107 years ago. I think it was also mentioned that Ymir became a titan 90 years ago.

Also, I don't think Eren ate his dad. The first time he fully transformed to plug the hole in the wall he falls into a dreamlike state that seems similar to what Ymir was describing. Eren managed to snap out of it by punching himself in the face and having Armin stab him. If he had eaten his dad to restore his human form then would he still have had "control" issues he exhibited when he transformed that first time? Maybe having to eat another shifter isn't a required part of the process? Maybe there are different processes that have different requirements?

Possibly, plus special titans like Eren's, Beartato and Reiner's must have been pretty unique, unique enough that they seem to be the only ones who has titans of their respective traits. Maybe the other country didn't want to spend too much resources making special titans like Colossal and Armored titans or they don't know how to make more Armored and Colossal titans.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What other shows can you guys recommend if I like this one a lot? I haven't watched a lot of animes and I appreciate the thoughtful world building in this one.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What other shows can you guys recommend if I like this one a lot? I haven't watched a lot of animes and I appreciate the thoughtful world building in this one.

Everyone will probably recommend Full Metal Alchemist, which is a super popular show that deserves it's fame. Lots of great worldbuilding, fun characters, and despite being mostly cheerful it dips into some very dark themes. Either the original show or the remake, Brotherhood, are equally good.

If you want more AoT style action, the same animation studio and director did Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV48cL0blak ) , which is steampunk samurai zombie pulp. It's fast, fun and ridiculous.

You might also enjoy From The New World ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUFnHKtm-8I ), which is similar in the scope of it's worldbuilding. The central mystery of the setting is slowly revealed throughout, and is breathtaking in the scale of its horror. It unfortunately dips into some pretty gross teen drama at times, but the worldbuilding is fascinating.

It's about a class of young students in a peaceful village where everyone has telekinetic powers. They're being carefully trained to be as pacifist and gentle as possible, and children who can't control their powers, or show aggression, simply disappear. The female lead dreams of an older sister she can't quite remember. The few humans are served by armies of servile beast-men, who worships the humans as gods. Any dissent is punished with brutal telekinetic execution. The children live this idyllic blessed life of privilege in a world built on unbearable and unsustainable brutality, and it is about to crumble.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
^^^^^thanks!!

Rewatching season 1 and there's a moment where the leader of the military group explains that the sergeant doesn't have to be as hard on some recruits. The camera pans over all the known shifters and Mikasa. The fact that she's also a different ethnicity makes me think she is from shifter land and is also probably a shifter. But I don't think she knows.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Maybe Claymore, I'd go into detail but I'm on my phone. Takes a bit to get into it's stride but it has some similar themes

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

^^^^^thanks!!

Rewatching season 1 and there's a moment where the leader of the military group explains that the sergeant doesn't have to be as hard on some recruits. The camera pans over all the known shifters and Mikasa. The fact that she's also a different ethnicity makes me think she is from shifter land and is also probably a shifter. But I don't think she knows.

I thought he implied those were the ones who had a look in their eye like they had experienced the horror of titans first hand. And all of those have to one degree or another. While others like Armin didn't actually watch their loved ones get eaten in front of their eyes.

All of those ones would have had a hard look to their eyes.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ryuujin posted:

I thought he implied those were the ones who had a look in their eye like they had experienced the horror of titans first hand. And all of those have to one degree or another. While others like Armin didn't actually watch their loved ones get eaten in front of their eyes.

All of those ones would have had a hard look to their eyes.

Well this is also based on some wild speculation that someone in charge of the part of the military training the crew knows who the shifters are and have set up a system that makes humanity poorly prepared for putting up a fight (all the top recruits get military police), or put shifters in the interior.

I refuse to read the Manga so you guys can keep enjoying my borderline schizophrenic ramblings.

Is there significant differences on the associated meanings between the Japanese word for soldier and the word for warrior?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is there significant differences on the associated meanings between the Japanese word for soldier and the word for warrior?

Just based off the show, you could go with the idea that a soldier is part of a well oiled, well supplied, well trained machine. Soldiers function as a group, they have logistics, they have command. A warrior however brings to mind, say, a hunting group. They have what they have, they rely on only themselves. The full implication of the difference in the show is that the group of titanshifters that infiltrated the walls was sent with no real support behind them. They have themselves, whatever they can get on the inside, and that's it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
One of the reasons I ask is commander Pyxis called himself a warrior and not a soldier in episode 5, and for Reiner that distinction seems to be important to his identity as a shifter. :stare:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've never lost sight of how weird it is that in a medievalish setting they have precision machined gear that requires a constant supply of air from high pressure vessels.

That kind of tech is really beyond what you can hand wave away in my opinion, and I think it alludes to there being more technologically advanced civilizations out there. The current royalty is probably the descendants of a group that split off from such a civilization, and regressed their society so that proper "humanity" would endure. The development and use of 3DMG is a necessary anachronism to protect their way of life from the Titans and shifters of the other civilization. There must be advanced factories deep in the interior of the walls that are manufacturing the gear and air cannisters.

It could also be that the royalty originally split off so that they could rule regular humans and be worshipped and that the shifters are actually trying to "free" humanity, but I like to think that normal humans are fighting on the "good" side.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

If a guy can turn into a Titan that's probably a good place to start looking.

My memory of the manga is a little fuzzy but I remember it seeming like he was trying to compel Reiner and Berthold to die and they had to resist the influence as they were running away, is that what actually happened?

No, the commands he gave specifically went out to the titans. The shifters there could feel the orders but didn't have to follow them.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'm watched maybe 5 anime shows in the last 8 years, since at 30 I've mostly outgrown it and find the prevelant fanservice on young characters to be the epitome of :stonk: (Attack on Titan I only picked up because I saw GIF's of the titans and figured it looked amazingly funny and horrifying enough that I could mute the anime teen drama - oh how wrong I was.) From my point of view, Puella Magi Madoka Magica (ignore that the trailer says it's of the movie, the first two movies were an adaption of the TV series.) is a very good pick. The TV series is a fully plotted out 12-episode story that starts off on the surface of a typical Sailor Moon-ish anime tale of a girl who's approached by a magical creature to become a magical warrior to fight evil, and then descends into a very dark and thoughtful deconstruction of what that would actually mean in terms of the psychological toil of having to be constantly in danger, having to battle for your life and still have to act day to day like you were just a normal middle school kid, why the hell any kind of being would think it would be the best idea to fight off earth destroying monsters would be to recruit a secret militia of emotionally fragile teenage girls with no combat experience, etc.

It's a very different genre, but the similarities on Attack on Titan that make me like both of them are the fact that the story is well plotted out from the start, and when you watch all the way to the end, you can rewatch earlier episodes and catch many things that looked like one scene at first glance, but actually had something much deeper going on, like in AoT when you can watch Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie in the training arc. I also like that it takes some fairly typical tropes to the genre (Shoujo for Madoka Magica, Shonen for Attack on Titan) and adds a more realistic, darker aspect to the characters reacting events.
I have not seen the movies yet, so I cannot comment on them. Be aware there is some Sailor Moon transformation level nudity in it, which I found uncomfortable, but not enough to quit the show over.

Squidster posted:

Everyone will probably recommend Full Metal Alchemist, which is a super popular show that deserves it's fame. Lots of great worldbuilding, fun characters, and despite being mostly cheerful it dips into some very dark themes. Either the original show or the remake, Brotherhood, are equally good.

Seconding that recommendation and everything that was said. Also, I hate to be That Person, but if you're deciding between the two, The original Full Metal Alchemist (2003) was ran when the manga was incomplete, so part of the way through, the animation company decided to just go and write their own fanficiton a continuation on their own original script rather than wait for the manga to catch up. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009) is the adaption of the actual manga story as intended by the author, and the one I STRONGLY recommend.

Squidster posted:

You might also enjoy From The New World ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUFnHKtm-8I ), which is similar in the scope of it's worldbuilding. The central mystery of the setting is slowly revealed throughout, and is breathtaking in the scale of its horror. It unfortunately dips into some pretty gross teen drama at times, but the worldbuilding is fascinating.

It's about a class of young students in a peaceful village where everyone has telekinetic powers. They're being carefully trained to be as pacifist and gentle as possible, and children who can't control their powers, or show aggression, simply disappear. The female lead dreams of an older sister she can't quite remember. The few humans are served by armies of servile beast-men, who worships the humans as gods. Any dissent is punished with brutal telekinetic execution. The children live this idyllic blessed life of privilege in a world built on unbearable and unsustainable brutality, and it is about to crumble.
Hellloooo, new recommendation for anime #6!

Catalina fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 20, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

You make a good recommendation here with Madoka but it's one of the few animes Ive watched. I loved it though for the exact reasons you say, well written and well thought out. I ended up watching despite it looking like garbage at first because a friend begged me to.

The other animes I've watched are legends of galactic heroes and one punch man.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Catalina posted:

Seconding that recommendation and everything that was said. Also, I hate to be That Person, but if you're deciding between the two, The original Full Metal Alchemist (2003) was ran when the manga was incomplete, so part of the way through, the animation company decided to just go and write their own fanficiton a continuation on their own original script rather than wait for the manga to catch up. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009) is the adaption of the actual manga story as intended by the author, and the one I STRONGLY recommend.

Both are good in their own right, and the first series IIRC had the blessing and some notes from the manga's writer/artist to work off of. It specifically went and did its own thing to avoid stepping on the possible future plot of the manga. Brotherhood is definitely the better version to watch if you're only going to watch one, though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Seconding Claymore. Mystery, plot twists, body horror, good animation, fancy sword fights. It has you covered. Claymore is about a member of an order of female knights that defend a medieval society from monsters that hide in the population and eat people. It has some gory moments, but so does AoT.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

^^^^^thanks!!

Watch fma brotherhood, the original anime goes off in a real dumb direction

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I haven't even read the manga but since accidentally being spoiled and knowing where things are going, watching people's speculation in this thread going into Season 3 has me so excited to watch people's reactions to the crazy poo poo about to happen.

It's Eva 3.0 levels of crazy poo poo that you barely see coming.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Shinseki Yori is good, but don't watch it if your off your anti-depressants.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is everyone's favorite OPs so far?
The second one from season 1 is absolutely my favorite. You've got the national anthem-like opening, it's quick conversion into sick action guitar, the sickest guitar riffing, Mikasa in a tank top fanservice for the nerds, loving blood everywhere, Armin drowning in said blood yet ready to keep killing, Levi's gang flying to a chorus, the whole "CG close-ups of all the gear" stuff, and the specter of the female titan's silhouette. It's just constantly on point without the need for "here's a ridiculous army of titans or humans or animals" like the other openings. I mean, they're fantastic, but that second season 1 one was just focused and pure intensity.

Captain Invictus posted:

Watch fma brotherhood, the original anime goes off in a real dumb direction
Agreeing with this based purely on the fact that the original anime is everyone being depressed and sad and whining about how hard life is and they tone that way down in Brotherhood.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The moodier tone is what I really liked about FMA 2003. In comparison the manga and Brotherhood seemed much more bog standard to me, and I never finished either as result.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
One-Punch Man if you want a mix of amazing action, exceptional comedy, and thought-provoking deconstruction of the superhero/shounen genre.
Mob Psycho 100 if you enjoyed OPM for all the right reasons.
Maria the Virgin Witch for one of the most surprisingly realistic portrayals of the medieval (Hundred Years' War) period you'll find in any medium... besides the fact that the protagonist is a literal witch with magical powers.
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis for an excellent, mature, old-style adventure tale in a high fantasy world, with character designs evocative of the 80s.
Parasyte: The Maxim for a well-directed horror thriller about a kid who finds his right arm has been taken over by a shapeshifting monster - which expresses disappointment at having failed to take over his brain.
Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World for a superbly directed deconstruction of the "hero protagonist transported to a fantasy world" trope/genre mixed in with Groundhog Day, where the well-intentioned protagonist possesses a power with the potential to favorably resolve any situation, yet despite his heroic inclinations finds himself way in over his head, held back by a callous world and his flaws both human and personal.

Since this is Attack on Titan thread, list is in descending order of horror, though only Parasyte and Re:Zero truly belong to the genre, with the former having sci-fi body horror as its premise and going from there, and the latter delving deep into psychological horror to the point it seems like the author derives some sadistic pleasure from seeing the protagonist be crushed.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Mordaedil posted:

I urge everyone to rewatch season 1 to get totally mindfucked over all of the hints that there were that you missed the first time over.

Because there's a ton of them. You didn't even notice them the first time.

My favorite is one I didn't notice until now, happening from a whim to re-watch the training episodes.

And Eren was like "woah, she looks really pissed." Huh, I wonder what happened when they came here.... Ah, right.

holy poo poo Reiner

E-flat fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 20, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The absurdly higher ratio of Linkin Park fma 2003 amvs vs brotherhood is all you need to know about fma 2003

Also that it literally ends with ed getting sucked into a portal and WHOOPS NOW HE'S IN WW1 GERMANY IN OUR WORLD!!! AND THEN THEY MADE A REALLY BAD MOVIE CONTINUING FROM THERE!!!!!!!!!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was actually a really good movie.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Levi's gang flying to a chorus
I love that they put them on the opening like they're going to be recurring characters, then they get slaughtered. Seeing them in the opening is a reminder of the cost for having all the awesome gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It was actually an ok movie.

• Locked thread