Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

DuckConference posted:

i don't object to having to code during an interview, I just think the coding should be vaguely relevant to the job

you know how many recursive algorithms I use as an embedded dev? none, because that is the correct amount to use in embedded development. but 2 of 4 phone interviews for embedded developer positions required recursive searching/traversing of some data structure

why arent you writing the iterative versions of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FamDav posted:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

DuckConference posted:

i don't object to having to code during an interview, I just think the coding should be vaguely relevant to the job

you know how many recursive algorithms I use as an embedded dev? none, because that is the correct amount to use in embedded development. but 2 of 4 phone interviews for embedded developer positions required recursive searching/traversing of some data structure

I literally never have used a recursive function professionally, now that you mention it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
just spent 20 minutes of an interview trying to figure out what problem the interviewer had with my approach

I apparently forgot to use the word "memoize" on a trivially memoizable problem resulting in "extra work"

expecting the RJ in 2-3 days

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FamDav posted:

because I'm the terrible programmer these questions were designed to weed out

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

FamDav posted:

why aren't you using the tail recursive versions of these?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why are you dealing with that set of problems in an embedded context

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

honestly given the options of "dynamically allocate a stack" and "ehh let the call stack implicitly sort it out" id be inclined to just let the call stack deal with it on a microcontroller

but first i'd wonder why the heck i had the problem in the first place and see if there was a bigger picture thing we were missing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

I feel the problem with you guys is that you get asked a question and your brain explodes in an exponentially diverging avalanche of what ifs instead of just doing exactly what the interviewer asked for

my biggest problem is i'll start out by explaining the naive solution but about a quarter of the way in my mind is already coming up with better & better solutions and I get tripped up. it's never cost me a job but it is an unusual practice that doesn't quite correlate to actual on the job coding

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

my biggest problem is i'll start out by explaining the naive solution but about a quarter of the way in my mind is already coming up with better & better solutions and I get tripped up. it's never cost me a job but it is an unusual practice that doesn't quite correlate to actual on the job coding

that's literally the best way to actually solve problems, and also interview solving problems, except for the get tripped up part

"first thoughts: you do it this really obvious and simple way, but that's really bad because here this thing, so what we could do to improve that is..."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qhat posted:

I literally never have used a recursive function professionally, now that you mention it.

get a language that supports tail recursion, like scheme, erlang, or c

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Cocoa Crispies posted:

get a language that supports tail recursion, like scheme, erlang, or c

I completely forgot C had tco until now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

that's literally the best way to actually solve problems, and also interview solving problems, except for the get tripped up part

"first thoughts: you do it this really obvious and simple way, but that's really bad because here this thing, so what we could do to improve that is..."

yeah it's a good way to solve problems in your head but having to vocalize and write the naive solution and not being allowed to give up on it even when you've come up with better solutions is what trips me up. if i spoke like my actual train of thought it'd be complete gibberish for five minutes until i finally get close to a final solution

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

I completely forgot C had tco until now

it doesn't? a c compiler does (or rather, might)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

always use the indefinite article *a* compiler, never *your* compiler

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah it's a good way to solve problems in your head but having to vocalize and write the naive solution and not being allowed to give up on it even when you've come up with better solutions is what trips me up. if i spoke like my actual train of thought it'd be complete gibberish for five minutes until i finally get close to a final solution

Often a naive solution can be converted directly into a more efficient solution by swapping out some of the n operations with logn or even constant operations. That's probably what they are looking forward.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

it doesn't? a c compiler does (or rather, might)

oh yes yes, sorry

I hope I didn't lose a chance at the yospos shitposter opening with this

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
fake tco gets obnoxious when 'finish' doesn't take me where i'm expecting

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

oh yes yes, sorry

I hope I didn't lose a chance at the yospos shitposter opening with this

welcome aboard

smug pedantry aside is it generally fine to write tc recursion in c? I'm not a c programmer, so idk if that's like a certain-to-be-optimized-everywhere thing, or 'in our specific compiler setup in this project, it works great'

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I wouldn't want to have production code relying on it. If it's truly tail recursive then it's trivial to just implement it iteratively.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

welcome aboard

smug pedantry aside is it generally fine to write tc recursion in c? I'm not a c programmer, so idk if that's like a certain-to-be-optimized-everywhere thing, or 'in our specific compiler setup in this project, it works great'

i don't know what neurotypicals that program c do (do they even exist?) but most of my c projects only have to run on a single compiler-arch-os-libc stack so i just disassemble them and make sure they're compiling the way i expect

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i don't know what neurotypicals that program c do (do they even exist?)

i can fake as one for a few hours

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i hope im not one

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThePeavstenator posted:

*Nodding Sagely*
Yes if it weren't for the technical tests, all these non-white candidates wouldn't have expereinced any racial discrimination at all during the hiring process!

the technical tests are plausible deniability

i have heard from multiple people about their hiring practices is that they, by default, assume their indian and pakistani applicants all cheated to obtain their certifications and memorize common answers to technical questions and that they craft their interviews to catch them giving memorized answers

odd that it only seems endemic with indian and pakistani applicants and not the parade of dumbass white dudes who just happen to be stanford grads

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao

as if stymie would give the time of day to someone that doesn't do labour

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

just got recruiter spam listing a company car as a benefit and I'm morbidly curious because I thought that species was extinct

qhat posted:

do you spring the recursion question second or third in the tech screen?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stymie posted:

i have heard from multiple people about their hiring practices is that they, by default, assume their indian and pakistani applicants all cheated to obtain their certifications and memorize common answers to technical questions and that they craft their interviews to catch them giving memorized answers

odd that it only seems endemic with indian and pakistani applicants and not the parade of dumbass white dudes who just happen to be stanford grads

a ton of white guys get caught in that though?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
im gonna co-host my first couple of tech interviews

p sure im supposed to just listen and not ask anything but im looking forward to it anyway as one of the other co-hosts is an ex-prof from a top 50 cs school and im wondering how he grills people

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Munkeymon posted:

just got recruiter spam listing a company car as a benefit and I'm morbidly curious because I thought that species was extinct

do you spring the recursion question second or third in the tech screen?

Idk but I'd at most expect them to know what it is and why it's bad.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Stymie posted:

there is a problem with cheating and it's complicated. you have an extremely competitive environment (was reading an article that said 1500 vacancies at a bank received more than 17 million applications) and a burdened educational system that favors rote memorization. this doesn't make it right to discriminate based on race, but these hiring practices exist for a reason as you need some way to filter through people, even if there are glaring systemic issues and cultural bias

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

is the car a good one

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

why the gently caress would you want a company car unless your job involves a lot of driving in which case your job/life sucks

just increase your salary and let you buy/lease your own car

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OldAlias posted:

there is a problem with cheating and it's complicated. you have an extremely competitive environment (was reading an article that said 1500 vacancies at a bank received more than 17 million applications) and a burdened educational system that favors rote memorization. this doesn't make it right to discriminate based on race, but these hiring practices exist for a reason as you need some way to filter through people, even if there are glaring systemic issues and cultural bias

why is cheating a problem?

who cares if the person coding your fart app or enterprise fart database might have cribbed some notes to jump through an arbitrary hoop?

if they can't do the job, then you can fire them and hire someone else from the other 16,999,999 applicants

technical tests only exist to filter out people who may have passed the initial sniff tests (e.g. their name sounds white enough and they went to the right school)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

because recovering from copyright infringement or patent violations or whatever is substantially more expensive than the cost of that fuckup employee

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like why bother waiting an extra 6+ months to find out they're definitely garbage

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I'm still stuck on how a skills test is more racist than literally any other part of the hiring process.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why is anything you're doing more important than giving someone a shot to try and learn?

it must be genuinely terrifying to live life as though the world is filled with greedy charlatans seeking to take what you've obviously earned entirely on your own

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm still stuck on how a skills test is more racist than literally any other part of the hiring process.

no you see clearly the part which has an objectively correct or incorrect answer has more room for discrimination than the part where they just talk to you for like 20 minutes and make a gut call on whether or not to move forward.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThePeavstenator posted:

because it's easier to produce evidence that an applicant didn't pass your (arbitrary and rigged) skills test than any other reason because you'd have to justify why all your "poor culture fits" all had indian or pakistani last names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnoHito posted:

no you see clearly the part which has an objectively correct or incorrect answer has more room for discrimination than the part where they just talk to you for like 20 minutes and make a gut call on whether or not to move forward.

lol i bet you are a strong believer in iq testing

• Locked thread