Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can understand being frustrated with the minecraft aesthetic given that it was all programmer art that started to get slowly slowly replaced but then it just got reverted and notch never did anything to make it look any better

Just imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I can't believe Titanfall 2 is already f2p

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which SC2 is the best one?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Minecraft benefits from being less representational, it lets the visible aspect correspond exactly to the manipulated aspect.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

Star Citizen 2, coming December 2037.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Soul Calibur 2

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

soni cadventure 2: battle

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

star control 2

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
metalgearSolid 2: substanCe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What about AC4?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Minecraft benefits from being less representational, it lets the visible aspect correspond exactly to the manipulated aspect.

The to the what what now?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

What about AC4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38t3d2xPN9g

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Not megalith, 04/10

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If only it had sky shanties, then it'd be the best of both

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

"Cubes Rule Everything Around Me" -minecraft man

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the argument is that it's good that minecraft looks like poo poo because it faithfully represents the experience of playing it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mean, it makes it WYSIWYG. You pick up a cube, you get the cube in your inventory and a cube-shaped hole in the world. You put it back down, you get the same cube you picked up. You don't get a lump with smoothed edges or randomized details or blurred boundaries trying to merge with what it's next to or whatever people imagine when they say it should look "better". And doing this with geometry more or less necessitates equally simple textures. A photorealistic perfect cube of dirt or rock would look even more bizarre than a pixelated cartoon perfect cube of dirt or rock.

Smaller cubes might look better but the 1-meter size means that large-scale construction is faster and easier, if they were smaller it would take that much longer to build something substantial.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but dragon quest builders did literally the exact same thing but didn't look like rear end is my point.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...did custom textures get removed from minecraft or something?

I made a sick tron texture pack once. Well, I didn't finish it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Snak posted:

...did custom textures get removed from minecraft or something?

I made a sick tron texture pack once. Well, I didn't finish it.

There's basically two versions of minecraft, the old java one and the new one they've been porting to everything on earth. I think the new one has more limits on mods.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I just liked those character models more :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

Yeah but dragon quest builders did literally the exact same thing but didn't look like rear end is my point.

OK, I hadn't actually looked at DQ Builders before and yeah it does look good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I just liked those character models more :shrug:

I did too and honestly I wished the game had continued in this direction because man it's really ugly. I'm sorry if you play Minecraft on consoles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What happens in ffxv ch13 verse1?

I did verse 2. Shocking how much more fun it is to play as gladiolus even though he is much more basic

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Today I had a job interview and it went really good!.. but as I was walking back to the car I realized my fly was down the whole time :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That's a humanizing trait imo, I would have hired you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What we need is a sensor and alarm in your pants that'll alert you (and everyone around you) that your zipper's undone.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thinking about Excite Bots: Trick Racing

The boxart is so good, the title music is so good

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There are four kinds of people: turtle cars, frog cars, beetle cars and excited moais

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

That game ruled.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

That game ruled.

It still does friend

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
minecraft is completely unplayable without using different texture packs and some mods imo

painterly pack was the best (goon-made too!) but Im not sure if its still updated anymore

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Dragon Quest Builders isn't procedurally generated, though. It's a lot easier to have more specialized and unique graphics when the entire universe and everything in it isn't being spawned from the aether around you by an algorithm.

Minecraft's graphics are Good because they're perfectly functional and distinctive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat ffxv. Would not recommend.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'd recommend like a third of it! Up to like just over half if I'm feeling generous on such a day!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I lost the plot immediately. Luckily there isnt really a story besides go a place.

None of it made sense though

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'd recommend playing FFV. Preferably using a job other than only berserkers for the Sandworm.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That FFXV tie-in movie was pretty.

Not anywhere close to Spirits Within on a tasty plasma, though

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That FFXV tie-in movie was pretty.

Not anywhere close to Spirits Within on a tasty plasma, though

Spirits Within's greatest sin was completely squandering having Steve Buscemii as comic relief. It's been almost 20 years, maybe in FFXVI they can try it again with White Mage B'scmie or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder how much cup a noodle and coleman camping ad money square got?

• Locked thread