Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I know Thespian's stage is better but it's still neat with Depths

Pretty sure any boring 1 wincon deck is gonna run this as a second Thespian's Stage in EDH for the double Dark Depths enabler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dark Depths is an extraordinarily lovely wincon in EDH though. Multiple 40 life players and the prevalence of exile removal makes it kind of a dud.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Actually, something that was pointed out to me - Mirror is also a combo with Time Vault, as it just becomes a mirror at the end of your turn and untaps in your next one.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Mirror is going to do some cool stuff in Vintage probably.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like Mirror/key is basically worse than vault/key, because you need more mana

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
If I'm selling off my entire collection of Standard format cards and decks, is it smarter (more profitable) to sell them now, or after the next set is released in a couple weeks?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sell the stuff that will fall in price, but not the stuff that will rise. :v:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Subways Jared posted:

If I'm selling off my entire collection of Standard format cards and decks, is it smarter (more profitable) to sell them now, or after the next set is released in a couple weeks?

Sell the pre Kaladesh cards now, the rest will rise or stay the same, in aggregate. Obviously individual cards can rise and fall but pre Kaladesh cards are about to seriously dip if they aren't played in modern.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

odiv posted:

Sell the stuff that will fall in price, but not the stuff that will rise. :v:
I'm not any sort of MTG prospector, or investor, so I would have no idea what cards those are. While I never expected any sort of return on my investment, I don't want to lose more money than I have to. Which is why I'm asking, in general, is it smarter to sell off your STD collection now before the set release, or wait until after.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Sell the pre Kaladesh cards now, the rest will rise or stay the same, in aggregate. Obviously individual cards can rise and fall but pre Kaladesh cards are about to seriously dip if they aren't played in modern.

Woops, you posted this right before my original reply. Thanks.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 19, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Siivola posted:

Looking at the official site, they're only making black ones at the moment. :(

Yeah when I hassled them on social media they said they have made one small batch for testing (that they sent out to a few people). And that a regular run would be "this summer"

Which is pretty vague and I loving hope they get on it

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Subways Jared posted:

I'm not any sort of MTG prospector, or investor, so I would have no idea what cards those are. While I never expected any sort of return on my investment, I don't want to lose more money than I have to. Which is why I'm asking, in general, is it smarter to sell off your STD collection now before the set release, or wait until after.

Woops, you posted this right before my original reply. Thanks.

Standard follows a very predictable pattern, based on rotation. All of the pre Kladaesh sets are past their peak, their value is only going down, as they are one block away from rotation. Kaladesh cards will be on the upswing, and they will eventually peak once they are in demand but we are further from their draft, once the set after Hour of Devastation comes out.

Amonkhet, on the other hand, is at its absolute low point, having just been drafted in a single set format, and packs are still going to trickle in with the next set. You will have to wait 6 or so months before you can realize the full value of your Amonkhet cards.

You can look at the price history of a card like Tireless Tracker https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Shadows+over+Innistrad/Tireless+Tracker#online and expect the powerful in demand Amonkhet rares to follow the same price pattern. So it would be reasonable to expect an in demand rare like Glorybringer to be about twice what it is now in a year's time.

So you basically have to sell them off in waves ~ 1 year from their release date, and if you are past that, as soon as possible.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Ramunap Hydra
3G
Creature - Hydra
Vigilance, reach, trample

As long as you control a Desert, Ramunap Hydra gets +1/+1.

As long as there is a Desert card in your graveyard, Ramunap Hyra gets +1/+1.
Illus. Mike Burns 3/3

looks very unplayable to me, no one played woodland wanderer either

Elyv fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 20, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's sad that a creature which would have been incredible a decade ago is probably fated to be mediocre at best nowadays. I liked Woodland Wanderer too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Vigilance + Trample on a big boy is a strong pairing of keywords since it makes them hard to race, and not letting flyers sneak by is a nice icing on top of all that, but I'm also unconvinced that it's going to be worth it unless there's some serious payoffs for deserts coming in the small set. It's definitely a playable card if some kind of Desert deck ends up being a thing, but it's not something worth building a mana base around.

EDIT: very unplayable is probably an exaggeration though. Turned on it's an above-curve beater with good keywords, even if it's not a format-definer.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I heard there's a new unhinged type set coming?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

looks very unplayable to me, no one played woodland wanderer either

There was that one Temur deck at Pro Tour BFZ that used 4 wanderer and was never played again.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I will say that I definitely don't understand why you would have ever played Woodland Wanderer in a format that included Siege Rhino.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I heard there's a new unhinged type set coming?

Yep. Maro has been working on it for ~7 years and it's going to be actually designed as a proper set (for limited) this time instead of throwing in a bunch of gimmicks at random.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
well holy poo poo i missed a lot of stuff, core set, unset, leaked set, new set, dominaria set

anything else

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Kurtofan posted:

well holy poo poo i missed a lot of stuff, core set, unset, leaked set, new set, dominaria set

anything else

The Gatewatch died got exiled.

Did you catch the Marvel ban?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kurtofan posted:

anything else

There was a 6 year old girl in a feature match at GP Vegas.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

It's sad that a creature which would have been incredible a decade ago is probably fated to be mediocre at best nowadays. I liked Woodland Wanderer too.

I actually thought that Hydra was an uncommon at first. 5/5 Reach Vigilance Trample isn't particularly notable for 3G, and this makes you have to put a lot of work in to get there. They could have cost this at 2G and it would have potential, but as it is it's just a pretty good beater in limited that sometimes becomes very good if you have the Desert Deck.

Some Numbers posted:

There was a 6 year old girl in a feature match at GP Vegas.

She finished at 5-4, a much better record than most goons can claim.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hellsau posted:

She finished at 5-4, a much better record than most goons can claim.

That's awesome!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

She round one curbstomped a sad man with Elves on the featured stream, it was wonderful to watch.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And Cassius Marsh featured against an even sadder goon.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

So, unrelated to spoiler news: I want to make a Modern tokens deck that uses Signal Pest instead of the expensive cards, about 10% because I think it could be actually reasonable and 90% so I can play Signal Pest and Intangible Virtue in the same deck and call it "Virtue Signalling".

:golfclap:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

I actually thought that Hydra was an uncommon at first. 5/5 Reach Vigilance Trample isn't particularly notable for 3G, and this makes you have to put a lot of work in to get there. They could have cost this at 2G and it would have potential, but as it is it's just a pretty good beater in limited that sometimes becomes very good if you have the Desert Deck.

This really does feel like a build around be limited uncommon, slightly above curve and rewards you for synergy drafting. If this were a 4/4 every time it wouldn't see play in constructed.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hellsau posted:

5/5 Reach Vigilance Trample isn't particularly notable for 3G,

...And this, kids, it's what we call "power creep".

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Marketing New Brain posted:

This really does feel like a build around be limited uncommon, slightly above curve and rewards you for synergy drafting. If this were a 4/4 every time it wouldn't see play in constructed.

If it were a 5/5 every time it wouldn't see play. Four mana 5/5s don't see play no matter how good they are at blocking. Turning on Woodland Wanderer was easy, much easier than this, it's just that if your four mana French vanilla creature doesn't have lifelink and flying it's kind of outclassed. If it were the same card, but got +2/+2 for a Desert in play and +2/+2 for a Desert in the yard, there's a chance some deck wants a four mana 7/7 trampler. A four mana 5/5 that requires a bad land in play and requires you to cycle a land for two mana is just crap. I'm guessing this was too good in testing at 1GG, and they bumped it up to 3G.

The art is cool though.

YggdrasilTM posted:

...And this, kids, it's what we call "power creep".

Blastoderm had haste a lot of the time, and Shroud is better than all the words on this Hydra, and who cares about Fading if your opponent is toast? Fires was great.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

If it were a 5/5 every time it wouldn't see play. Four mana 5/5s don't see play no matter how good they are at blocking. Turning on Woodland Wanderer was easy, much easier than this, it's just that if your four mana French vanilla creature doesn't have lifelink and flying it's kind of outclassed. If it were the same card, but got +2/+2 for a Desert in play and +2/+2 for a Desert in the yard, there's a chance some deck wants a four mana 7/7 trampler. A four mana 5/5 that requires a bad land in play and requires you to cycle a land for two mana is just crap. I'm guessing this was too good in testing at 1GG, and they bumped it up to 3G.

The art is cool though.

Blastoderm had haste a lot of the time, and Shroud is better than all the words on this Hydra, and who cares about Fading if your opponent is toast? Fires was great.

I seriously doubt this card was too good at 1GG, but yeah it feels like a rare that they had to dial back for some reason or another. I also find the idea that creature power creep is a real issue hilarious. Spiritmonger was over 15 years ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Goes well with Neheb, the Worthy.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
drat that is potentially a whole lot of mana

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

This looks fun.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I though being Eternal made you black

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The eternalized tokens are black, but Eternal creatures appear in all Grixis colours.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I suppose this is a way to cast Bolas.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I love the typebar straining to contain the grotesque construction that is 'Legendary Creature- Zombie Minotaur Warrior'

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Y'know, I'm curious to see if any eternal creatures make it into Standard. Mardu Zombies, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Siivola posted:

The eternalized tokens are black, but Eternal creatures appear in all Grixis Bolas colours.