Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I appreciate the Dark Forces 2 at the end, but you're missing "American McGee's"

I actually realized right after I posted that I forgot to include Spear of Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

loga mira posted:

Dear god it's enormous. As much as I enjoy exploring his maps I wish they had more color variation between major areas. Daikatana did this well.

While I truly do enjoy the gigantic wander-around-everywhere Quake maps -- both for playing, and as an example of what can be done w/ Quake -- they're not my absolute favorite style of environment. Even if they have excellent signposting to reduce lost-ness, I'd prefer a bit more occasional bottlenecking/closure/sense-of-progress like you get from a more traditional Quake episode of connected midsized maps.

So stuff like this is great BUT I'm also really looking forward to the "episode jam" results which may be more my speed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of large maps and quality visuals...

https://twitter.com/88alice/status/876282762289754112

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
The new Turok2Ex public beta is out. Rendering optimizations, dedicated servers, and a new "co-op horde mode" called Raptor Fest I made in my spare time.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/405830/discussions/0/2333276539603981189/ More details here.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Regarding decent Dark Forces ports, there's a few tips and wonky work arounds you can use to get something very close to a primitive WASD and mouse set up. It takes a lot of finagling, admittedly.

My PC is currently in my storage unit an hour ago, but I'm seriously considering pulling it out just for that Wool Ball sequel. The first one was brill.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rocket Pan posted:

The new Turok2Ex public beta is out. Rendering optimizations, dedicated servers, and a new "co-op horde mode" called Raptor Fest I made in my spare time.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/405830/discussions/0/2333276539603981189/ More details here.

I must admit, I played maybe an hour of Turok in my life so far, so my interest in these re-releases has been pretty low, no offense intended.

However, your studio's dedication to these titles is enough to win me over. I'll definitely be picking this up sometime soon.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I had no idea there was a pc release of turok 2. And there's a community around it? How's the player population?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Social Animal posted:

I had no idea there was a pc release of turok 2. And there's a community around it? How's the player population?

Turok 1 and 2 have existing PC releases from years back, but the port quality was pretty low and they have noticeable issues on modern systems. These are new ports released by NightDive, developed by Kaiser (of Doom64Ex fame), Quasar (Eternity Engine and the doomwiki.org maintainer) and myself. They are essentially re-ports of the N64 code.

Turok1 is singleplayer so player base is largely unimportant. Tuork2 on the otherhand has a small but dedicated player base (it's pretty hard to get anything close to Doom from older games). Plus there's an xbox one port of them announced (announced is all I'm allowed to say at this stage).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

Oh, also: BloodGDX has been updated with support for voxels and bad 90s FMV.

Immediately set it up to find that I'm playing an almost perfect recreation of the original game.

If he can get CD music and the FMV sounds working, that'll be perfect.

Rocket Pan posted:

Greetings folks, we have an upcoming Turok2 patch for the public beta branch real soon which has some exciting additions, however we played some of it in this stream of NightDive vs Miniboss: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/152351219

Rocket Pan posted:

You guys seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHPqwphz4Kg

Real cool stuff by the guy who made the Turok Wolf3D mod.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rocket Pan posted:

Turok 1 and 2 have existing PC releases from years back, but the port quality was pretty low and they have noticeable issues on modern systems. These are new ports released by NightDive, developed by Kaiser (of Doom64Ex fame), Quasar (Eternity Engine and the doomwiki.org maintainer) and myself. They are essentially re-ports of the N64 code.

Turok1 is singleplayer so player base is largely unimportant. Tuork2 on the otherhand has a small but dedicated player base (it's pretty hard to get anything close to Doom from older games). Plus there's an xbox one port of them announced (announced is all I'm allowed to say at this stage).

I didn't even know about doom64ex. So it's a free port of doom64 on pc? I rented the game for the n64 back when it was first released but I don't remember much. Why is it considered a really good doom game?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Social Animal posted:

I didn't even know about doom64ex. So it's a free port of doom64 on pc? I rented the game for the n64 back when it was first released but I don't remember much. Why is it considered a really good doom game?

It's considered a good Doom game because it really sticks pretty well to the Doom 1/Doom 2 style of gameplay while also changing up the enemies and bringing new levels. Its main problem was always that it was way dark on your TV of the time, and the N64 controller wasn't great for playing it - mouse and keyboard is much nicer and Doom64EX's video controls let you bump the brightness to appropriate comfortable levels.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

fishmech posted:

It's considered a good Doom game because it really sticks pretty well to the Doom 1/Doom 2 style of gameplay while also changing up the enemies and bringing new levels. Its main problem was always that it was way dark on your TV of the time, and the N64 controller wasn't great for playing it - mouse and keyboard is much nicer and Doom64EX's video controls let you bump the brightness to appropriate comfortable levels.

Interesting ok I suppose I'll give it a shot thanks.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Doom64EX is the ideal way of playing a very good Doom game, unless you're a speedrunner or something.

There are still some gimmicks in D64 that are still unique and worth using in future projects like the different variations of the teleporter puzzle, unique map facades like the crusher in map2, unique turrets and other variation of other traps.

Also, the mapping in general was really good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What's the best Doom source port for Mac OS 9?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I just dipped back into the latest Doom 64ex (v2.5) and even after I set the Framerate option to Smooth, if I set my monitor's refresh to anything above 60hz, Doom 64ex would hitch at regular intervals where it was clear it was not syncing up with the monitor correctly. I tried 85-144hz, Gsync, ULMB, Fixed Refresh, GPU Vsync, in-game vsync... The only refresh I could get Doom 64ex to look smooth on was 60hz. Anybody know if this is fixable?

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Immediately set it up to find that I'm playing an almost perfect recreation of the original game.

If he can get CD music and the FMV sounds working, that'll be perfect.

You guys seen this?

This is pretty great. The enhanced pace really suits the game, which is balanced out by a seemingly increased enemy count. Very cool.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's the best Doom source port for Mac OS 9?

I think Doom Legacy is your only option for a Doom source port that's been updated for Classic Mac OS (8.1+) anytime close to recently.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071225034101/http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/doomlegacy/legacy_132beta1_mac.sit.hqx

It's the 1.32 beta from 2001. You might be able to compile some other source ports yourself, but it might be hell to figure out which ones can actually be supported on OS 9 that way.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Uncle Kitchener posted:

You guys seen this?

That's pretty dang cool. The voice stuff seems rather bad and out of place but otherwise I like.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
God I do not miss that era of 3D gaming where everyone decided en masse that every UI element should just be drawn as a 3D object.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

I suddenly regret everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoD8UP_rd9k

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

God I do not miss that era of 3D gaming where everyone decided en masse that every UI element should just be drawn as a 3D object.

Ugh, this is pretty much early to mid n64 days, Goldeneye aside.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Speaking of Golden Eye, I always though having the health and armor display in the centre was a fail good idea, if probably a little invasive on higher resolutions.

Also, what's the best way of playing Perfect Dark and wad the sequel good enough to warrant purchasing an X360 for both games? Unless the games are available on XboxOne, I wouldn't mind getting a 360 for those games since they're not on PSN.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Also, what's the best way of playing Perfect Dark and wad the sequel good enough to warrant purchasing an X360 for both games? Unless the games are available on XboxOne, I wouldn't mind getting a 360 for those games since they're not on PSN.

Both Perfect Dark and Zero are supported by Xbox One's X360 backwards compatibility, and also included in Rare Replay.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 19, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

OG Perfect Dark is an all-time classic but Zero is one of the prime examples of FPS series killed by the mid-2000s shooter zeitgeist.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

OG Perfect Dark is an all-time classic but Zero is one of the prime examples of FPS series killed by the mid-2000s shooter zeitgeist.

Agreed.

HOWEVER, the XBLA re-release/remake/port of the original does so much good that it ALMOST makes up for the total misstep that was PDZ.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Speaking of Golden Eye, I always though having the health and armor display in the centre was a fail good idea, if probably a little invasive on higher resolutions.

The 360 port of the original Perfect Dark is hands-down the best way to play it, and as mentioned it runs on the Xbox One either on its own or through the Rare Replay pack.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

I just dipped back into the latest Doom 64ex (v2.5) and even after I set the Framerate option to Smooth, if I set my monitor's refresh to anything above 60hz, Doom 64ex would hitch at regular intervals where it was clear it was not syncing up with the monitor correctly. I tried 85-144hz, Gsync, ULMB, Fixed Refresh, GPU Vsync, in-game vsync... The only refresh I could get Doom 64ex to look smooth on was 60hz. Anybody know if this is fixable?

I've a gsync monitor and it's always been this way for me. Have to switch down to 60hz or turn off gysync. Also happens with Duke 3D Megaton Edition.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

You folks are the best :) Thanks so much for bringing back weapon wheel!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

You guys seen this?

This is cool!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Hello, Newman."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Kins posted:

As a result of the PAL/NTSC disparity, a lot of PAL games ran 10% slower and with black borders for quite a long time. Some developers accommodated for it and made PAL-specific versions that fixed these issues, but it didn't really become commonplace, IIRC, until like the middle of the N64/PS1 era.

I primarily followed this from an N64 perspective, so someone else is probably more learned about it.

So, a lot varied from game to game. For example, Super Mario Brothers 3 was fixed in PAL so that the game logic ran slower, but the music ran at normal speed. That's the most common fix I've heard.

I don't recall knowing about any pre-PS1 game running at normal speed in the PAL region, but I'm from glorious USA where we run at 29.97 fps and we like it. But I don't know how you could make a Sprite based game run at normal speed at 50 hz just due to my understanding of how the animation is done. You have to drop frames somewhere.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

So, a lot varied from game to game. For example, Super Mario Brothers 3 was fixed in PAL so that the game logic ran slower, but the music ran at normal speed. That's the most common fix I've heard.

I don't recall knowing about any pre-PS1 game running at normal speed in the PAL region, but I'm from glorious USA where we run at 29.97 fps and we like it. But I don't know how you could make a Sprite based game run at normal speed at 50 hz just due to my understanding of how the animation is done. You have to drop frames somewhere.

Yeah everything was 17% slower and played like garbage. Except the internet didn't exist and none of us knew there was anything wrong, so we just happily played Sonic with massive black borders and hosed music while America and Japan got the proper versions of the games.

Additionally all movies and non-UK TV shows were 4% faster on video, along with some bizarre BBFC censorship, so we also got weirdly high pitched Bruce Willis walking through Harlem with an "I HATE EVERYONE" sandwich board while someone shouts "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT" at him.

Good times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Additionally all movies and non-UK TV shows were 4% faster on video, along with some bizarre BBFC censorship, so we also got weirdly high pitched Bruce Willis walking through Harlem with an "I HATE EVERYONE" sandwich board while someone shouts "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT" at him.

That's what the sign looks like on US TV too, the studio probably just made one clean version and gave it to everyone.

YIPPIE KIY YAY MISTER FALCON

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 19, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

The "I HATE EVERYONE" was what was actually filmed, the more offensive version for theaters was digitally added.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The "I HATE EVERYONE" was what was actually filmed, the more offensive version for theaters was digitally added.

lmao are you serious?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That's wrong, actually. The sign was completely blank; both messages were digitally added after-the-fact. They deliberately left it blank so as not to offend anyone living in the Bronx while filming (presumably only having the more racially-charged sign in mind at the time).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I stand corrected!

So when's that Quake looking game coming out? poo poo I can't remember the name. Or the Bombshell FPS. Or any indie dev working on a retro FPS that doesn't blow it big time. :cry: I gave Strafe 3 hours and I was miserable the whole time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I stand corrected!

So when's that Quake looking game coming out? poo poo I can't remember the name. Or the Bombshell FPS. Or any indie dev working on a retro FPS that doesn't blow it big time. :cry: I gave Strafe 3 hours and I was miserable the whole time.

Dusk? Sometime this year, according to the steam page.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dusk is supposed to come out this year, they posted a new screenshot during E3.
https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/876217898217484288

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah but it's been delayed until the PC One X comes out

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/874343686288547840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Kins posted:

Dusk is supposed to come out this year, they posted a new screenshot during E3.
https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/876217898217484288

Getting some "early Half-Life screenshot" vibes from this, I'm game.