Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

So this shooting in Virginia this morning...

It was against Republicans, so that would make this not a false flag, in Infowars-land, right?

Eye witness says it was a white guy so I'm not sure what will win out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
That's two negatives, making it a positive, so yes to Infowars conspiracy garbage

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

brylcreem posted:

So there's a huge fire in a 24 story residential building in London at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

I wonder how many conspiracy theorists are masturbating right now, saying "It's not collapsing!"

Already happening in GBS:

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Funny that we were just talking about buildings on fire collapsing, notice how this one didn't collapse at free fall speed perfectly symmetrical? In fact, nothing collapsed at all

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's only legitimate if it's a Muslim or a left-wing person. If it turns out it was a crazy right-wing dude who listens to too much Alex Jones and bears a grudge against the GOP establishment, it was a false flag.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Love to quote jokes and pretend they are real

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

chitoryu12 posted:

It's only legitimate if it's a Muslim or a left-wing person. If it turns out it was a crazy right-wing dude who listens to too much Alex Jones and bears a grudge against the GOP establishment, it was a false flag.

Or a lone nut, this is why we need better mental health care instead of gun control.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RagnarokAngel posted:

Or a lone nut, this is why we need better mental health care instead of gun control.

there's really no amount of mental health care that's going to stop angry men from losing their poo poo and shooting people, it's a generational and societal problem that can't be attributed to rogue individuals. a society of lone nuts is not a group of hundreds of thousands of isolated crazies, it's a whole population of them with a common cause

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokAngel posted:

Or both actually

Also people who say we need mental health care not gun control usually turn right around and vote to defund health care so I'm gonna continue to view anyone who says nah we don't need gun control with scorn at best

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Good lord I know, I was parroting a Republican talking point.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So when do we start hearing that the congressional ball game shooting was all crisis actors?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokAngel posted:

Good lord I know, I was parroting a Republican talking point.

Man I don't know who's saying and who's just saying anymore

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

There has never been a metal building collapse under similar circumstances. Only thing close was a fire in some third world country where standards are poor. Gas lighting cover nut.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Wow twice in a month has to be a recent record for this thread, right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GutBomb posted:

Wow twice in a month has to be a recent record for this thread, right?

pretty sure it was him twice

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

brylcreem posted:

So there's a huge fire in a 24 story residential building in London at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

I wonder how many conspiracy theorists are masturbating right now, saying "It's not collapsing!"

Once, after discussing 9/11 with my brother (massive conspiracy theorist, thinks it was an inside job, controlled demolition, the works), I had to go online and read some people debunking the whole thing to regain some of my faith in humanity. While doing so, I happened on a thread on some forum where people from both sides were discussing it, and the number of truthers who can't even get the basics right was loving astounding. Like, people claiming steel doesn't lose strength until it starts melting, and the fire couldn't have burned hot enough to do that, or going "YOU EXPECT IT TO FALL TO ONE SIDE, INSTEAD IT COLLAPSED PERFECTLY IN ON ITSELF", when all you need to do is go on Youtube and see with your own eyes how the part of the building above the point of impact starts listing towards it before the structure beneath gives way and it starts crashing down on itself.

I mean, everyone here is already aware of this, but Christ, the amount of facts these people straight up ignore in order for their theory to make any kind of sense is mind-boggling. Then you have the guys who, when asked to back up their claims, post Youtube videos made by Truthman5000 or whatever, or just straight up claim they are science engineers, and are totally experts and they know for a fact that the planes couldn't have caused the building to collapse like that.

Sorry, the mention of 9/11 just brought back the sheer frustration I felt when discussing this with my brother (who's also the kind of person who talks down to you, and laughs at you like you're an idiot when you try to argue with him. Honestly, I don't even know why I bother.)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
What I don't get is why do they always go for broke by calling it a controlled demolition? How come conspiracy theorists don't say that Bush paid the hijackers, or that he deliberately ignored warnings that the hijackings were going to happen?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

What I don't get is why do they always go for broke by calling it a controlled demolition? How come conspiracy theorists don't say that Bush paid the hijackers, or that he deliberately ignored warnings that the hijackings were going to happen?

Because you can't just have part of THE GOVERNMENT STORY be wrong, it has to be the whole thing. Therefore it can't be "George Bush paid the airlines to crash planes into WTC" because then you're buying into THE GOVERNMENT saying planes crashed into WTC!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite one is that the planes weren't cruise missiles or holograms or anything, they were actual planes full of actual passengers, but they had missiles mounted underneath them and they fired missiles at the buildings before the planes themselves hit.

I.... just .... I mean....

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Data Graham posted:

My favorite one is that the planes weren't cruise missiles or holograms or anything, they were actual planes full of actual passengers, but they had missiles mounted underneath them and they fired missiles at the buildings before the planes themselves hit.

I.... just .... I mean....

And then the planes also hit the towers? :psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

And then the planes also hit the towers? :psyduck:

No they activated their cloaking devices and flew past cunningly.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

No they activated their cloaking devices and flew past cunningly.

Oh, right. Duh.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

conspiracy theorists have a bizarre need to plant one foot in credible, rational argumentation and another in looney toons land so their ultimate downfall is finding reasonable sounding but debunkable arguments for insane conclusions

one of the big arguments in the false moon landing canon is that the van allen radiation belts would have killed any astronauts going to the moon. so it sounds feasible except when you argue that the rad exposure for passing through the belt is no worse than like a handful of xrays and thus entirely survivable (going to the moon in 1960's space tech does give you a decently higher cancer risk) so then you're stuck with this argument that on the one hand has a reasonable component (space radiation is nasty) but on the other makes no sense (space radiation will not just kill you dead instantly under normal circumstances)

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
9/11 truthers are crawling out of the woodwork.

http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/didnt-blaze-grenfell-towers-yesterday-make-fall-just-like-building-7-world-trade-center/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

quote:

The reason why Grenfell Tower did not fall is because there is no fire capable of being created that is able to make a steel structure building fall to the ground.

Yup, steel is indestructible, it's basically adamantium

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know a lot of people who do hobby-level iron-working and forging and poo poo and it's amazing how soft that poo poo gets with just a bit of heat.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

if you want a laugh bring up the plasco tower in iran which collapsed earlier this year due to fire and see how fast they flip flop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6Lusn-HLM

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

boner confessor posted:

if you want a laugh bring up the plasco tower in iran which collapsed earlier this year due to fire and see how fast they flip flop

Doing this right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thing is the grenfell tower isn't steel, it's 1970's concrete construction. It's built like a flak tower and the structure itself is actually fireproof. The only reason it caught fire is cos the renovation company wrapped it in cheap kindling.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

The comments are amazing:

So where is Osama bin Laden today? South of the border down Mexico way? I'm sure he's still alive and kickin'. The other Muslim, Obamanation, was very clever to set this up during his so called Presidency to get the credit for killing him, but I had my doubts when they announced it. No body? No pictures? No nothing to prove they killed him. I guess they figured If the public was stupid enough to believe the WTC went down, then they will buy this one too about bin Laden.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cymoril posted:

Doing this right now.

i'd bet money they'd call it controlled demollition

the best part of this argument is that controlled demolition and uncontrolled demolition look extremely similar and have the same end result

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

boner confessor posted:

the best part of this argument is that controlled demolition and uncontrolled demolition look extremely similar and have the same end result

A bunch of them keep insisting Building 7 was a controlled demolition. There is a lot of willful ignorance going on, and I more or less checked out of the arguments because what I say isn't valid without "scientific proof."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cymoril posted:

A bunch of them keep insisting Building 7 was a controlled demolition. There is a lot of willful ignorance going on, and I more or less checked out of the arguments because what I say isn't valid without "scientific proof."

the thing you need to remember when arguing with a conspiracy theorist is that they are advocating a theological position which they believe with near spiritual intensity but they drape it in the language of rationality and skepticism. they think they are arguing logically, but really they're stating a belief which itself defies logic, one which typically centers on how special and wise the conspiracy theorist is for rising above the masses to see the true nature of reality. if you approach them and accept their perspective that they have facts which can be debated then you will waste your time, every time

when they press you for "scientific proof" what they're really saying is that you need to say something acceptable to the canon of facts which they've cultivated to support their argument. obviously this is not how rational inquiry works, but this is consistent with people who express an irrational argument using the language of rationality to fool themselves and others

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

boner confessor posted:

Nuh uhh! Look in this video the tower falls over sideways while you'd expect in an uncontrolled collapse. The twin towers fell perfectly as only could be accomplished in a CONTROLLED DEMOLITION.
Literally seen these exact comments when that disaster first happened. People were using this Iranian fire as evidence WTC was controlled demo.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

boner confessor posted:

the thing you need to remember when arguing with a conspiracy theorist is that they are advocating a theological position which they believe with near spiritual intensity but they drape it in the language of rationality and skepticism. they think they are arguing logically, but really they're stating a belief which itself defies logic, one which typically centers on how special and wise the conspiracy theorist is for rising above the masses to see the true nature of reality. if you approach them and accept their perspective that they have facts which can be debated then you will waste your time, every time

when they press you for "scientific proof" what they're really saying is that you need to say something acceptable to the canon of facts which they've cultivated to support their argument. obviously this is not how rational inquiry works, but this is consistent with people who express an irrational argument using the language of rationality to fool themselves and others

Yeah I know. Doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I would post screenshots but I am getting errors.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

I know a lot of people who do hobby-level iron-working and forging and poo poo and it's amazing how soft that poo poo gets with just a bit of heat.

There's a video on YouTube of a guy like this who just yells about how stupid it is and heats a piece of metal up just to show how much it bends, and then shouts "so shut up!" And the video ends

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

boner confessor posted:

how do you feel about the idea that you're not trying to convince the conspiracy theorist but rather you're trying to show any spectators that the conspiracy theorist is wrong?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

QuarkJets posted:

how do you feel about the idea that you're not trying to convince the conspiracy theorist but rather you're trying to show any spectators that the conspiracy theorist is wrong?

Depending on your audience, you might just wind up making the CT look like the scrappy underdog.

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Instant Sunrise posted:

Maybe because that doesn't matter?

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

boner confessor posted:

The controled demolition will collapse faster than gravity

The controled demolition will collapse into the buildings foot, otherwise the building topples due to Newton's second law on entropy

Ect.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

You are wrong, my wood stove doesn't collapse

• Locked thread