Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Fidel Castronaut posted:

That would be a class on rhetoric and those classes own.

not rhetoric, skepticism

disassembling others' rhetoric and calling bullshit and the tools to do it, as well as pointing out through examples that bullshit is everywhere good luck lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gringostar posted:

also, chud parents freak out

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

triple sulk posted:

the push for teaching kids programming is strictly to drive down absurd wages in two cities, that's literally it

there are more than enough programmers already and that there are tons of jobs/more jobs than there are available workers is an absolute lie

kids coming out of cs programs in a few years are going to have a laughably difficult time finding work in a field that demands already having experience

please have 3 years of experience for this entry level position

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

that rat won't live to see the end of trumps first term

really wanna be that rat

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

I'm fine with schools teaching coding, but don't think it should be part of a national curriculum requirement, which is fine since the US doesn't have those

we do need more logic and debate classes so that kids get trained in the critical skill of defeating people by their own logic in online forums

AP students get to learn how to apply the linguistic kill shot

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mormonpartyboat posted:

not rhetoric, skepticism

disassembling others' rhetoric and calling bullshit and the tools to do it, as well as pointing out through examples that bullshit is everywhere good luck lol

that is a rhetoric class yes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Baloogan posted:

imo winning the information war, or building up enough information weapons so that MAD starts to apply will take alot of money and work

I don't think in a free / open society you can defend against information weapons, but you can make it so anyone using IW on you will get a retaliation either kinetic or IW.

So what's really dumb about the idea of MAD in an IW world is that it's not going to be nation states doing it, it'll be people like the Scientologists or rogue Buddhist sects or whatever. You can't pinpoint the location where Pepe got turned into the Alt-Right symbol he is now on a globe. You could certainly take 4chan offline or whatever, but that doesn't stop the people. If you're going to believe that IW is a thing, then you've got to accept that none of the deterrence anyone has now will work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

did they catch the van that killed people in England ?

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

mormonpartyboat posted:

not rhetoric, skepticism

You're talking about a rhetoric class. Learning the three Aristotelean appeals, pathos, ethos, and logos, and how those are used in ads is an intro rhet class.

I know, I taught it.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Symbolic logic classes own too. I loved doing truth tables and testing the validity of syllogisms, but they are pretty abstract and I didn't seemany students applying what they were Lear in to argumentation.

of course not
politics would fail as a profession if people started being able to break down rhetoric in order to find internal and contextual logic

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

that rat won't live to see the end of trumps first term

wanna be that rat

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gringostar posted:

also, chud parents freak

it works on a surprising amount of levels

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That DICK! posted:

name another word for employment, the founder of Apple, and what one does when one is the loser in a scripted wrestling match

wozniak?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

euphronius posted:

youll have to wait until tomorrow june 20th when transformers the last knight comes out

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

brownback doing great!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gringostar posted:

learning anything but basic typing skills in school is useless since schools can't keep enough modern machines for students

unless you're in a rich (re: white) as gently caress district

you don't need sota to learn java or python

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also who could have imagined that a government comprising chiefly of old people who's total knowledge of technology is the toaster would be vulnerable to hacking

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

of course not
politics would fail as a profession if people started being able to break down rhetoric in order to find internal and contextual logic

stfu about goddamn discrete you indiscreet oaf its v triggering

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

euphronius posted:

No, because our laws only apply to humans and a car has diplomatic immunity

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if they are shift layoffs they still have jobs iirc

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i'm a product of one of the government's secret forums posting schools

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Millenial rats are killing pizza rat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

change my name posted:

No, because our laws only apply to humans and a car has diplomatic immunity

well it's a shame that the van will not be tried for its crimes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

euphronius posted:

no they could only find the innocent clean shaven white person trapped inside

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

stfu about goddamn discrete you indiscreet oaf its v triggering

what did i say about discretion?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

what did i say about discretion?

nothing never!!!!!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

if ur gonna go that route just have a bullshit class

like literally you just look at ads and political statements and cell phone contracts and poo poo like that and see how bullshit is made

~logic~ is for nerds and should be jammed into a locker

That's a really good idea.

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.
republicansssssssssss
ssssss

sssssss

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

well it's a shame that the van will not be tried for its crimes

the national van association is a powerful lobby group

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AV Club posted:

Liberals win again as CMT decides not to revive Last Man Standing

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Yinlock posted:

no they could only find the innocent clean shaven white person trapped inside

I hear he was a troubled fellow, probably just a one off nutter thing with no larger implications about anything whatsoever now let's never speak of it again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm starting to believe that Russia hacked our voter rolls but only to give everyone funny names like Otto Warmbier and Reality Winner

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In just over a week the Senate is planning to pass a bill "about healthcare" that nobody outside of a handful of fat old rich white men even has a clue about.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
everybody wants to be a rat, cuz the rats the only act, that dies of cancer in two years

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Millenial rats are killing pizza rat

you know pizza rat was a fraud

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

wilsonlaughing.gif

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

i got things to do tonight so just imagine i dropped this in a couple of hours from now

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

you know pizza rat was a fraud

the rat wanted that pizza, it was innocent and pure in its intent

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

if ur gonna go that route just have a bullshit class

like literally you just look at ads and political statements and cell phone contracts and poo poo like that and see how bullshit is made

~logic~ is for nerds and should be jammed into a locker

that has nothing to do with logic tho

formal logic is just ones and zeroes, its dumb math poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

galenanorth posted:

Geoscience isn't taught in schools, and though you can't found a geology startup, the jobs with it pay just as well (up to $40,000 with a bachelor's), and it applies to a myriad number of political issues (climate, environmental issues, shortages of water and other natural resources, peak oil). The problem is that you need a car to use it, and the federal grants and loans won't cover the required $1200 field camp course, which is probably why in my experience it skews toward students from middle-to-upper-class backgrounds. At the annual Rock Bowl camping trip, where geology students from across the state compete in events like the rock ID, the fossil ID, quiz bowl, geode roll and rock hammer throw, there was only one black guy out of 100 students. Also people commonly talk about things like "backpacking through Ireland" that just makes me want to vomit

so yeah, probably a good thing

camping and other "outdoors" bullshit is the whitest poo poo imaginable lol

• Locked thread