Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
So judging from today's email it looks like gencon is not happy with folks camping hotel rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

What's the email?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

WerrWaaa posted:

I've got an L5R clan dinner Thursday night but I'm not committed otherwise, and would love to hang out.

How do you carry poo poo around? I'm gonna have (and build) some card decks, and assumed I would bring an ultrapro case for those. But I'm also going to buy a bunch of New5R and RPG books, so I need a shopping bag, BUT ALSO water and snacks and poo poo, so I was thinking backpack. All three would be all together too much, so what's the best solution?

I use a messenger bag, it didn't seem to get in the way of anybody and was light enough to not cause much strain.

Edit: Email is GenCon Reminding everyone of their house cancellation policy

Exmond fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 19, 2017

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Haystack posted:

What's the email?

"The following is a reminder that the housing cancellation policy will change after June 26, 2017 as follows:

All reservations cancelled before 11:59 pm, EST, June 26, 2017 are subject to a $50 cancellation fee per room.

Reservations cancelled after June 26, 2017, are subject to a cancellation fee equal to one night charge per room."

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Radio Free Walrus posted:

So judging from today's email it looks like gencon is not happy with folks camping hotel rooms.

It's just a reminder of the existing policy. That's been the policy for at least the last two years.

If they really wanted to clamp down on people camping hotel rooms, they'd either change how registration is done or institute a cost for transferring a room.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sionak posted:

It's just a reminder of the existing policy. That's been the policy for at least the last two years.

If they really wanted to clamp down on people camping hotel rooms, they'd either change how registration is done or institute a cost for transferring a room.

It's a pretty pathetic system given how long they've been doing it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

I knew I should have installed the Awful App(tm)

Granted I only had a total of about ten hours on-site at Origins despite getting to Columbus on Monday, but I still bet something funny could have happened as a result of our Goon Presence.

Also ugh Origins is bad

So bad

I do not mean to disparage the potential it has for allowing people to get together and play games and have a good time, as clearly there was fun gaming going on. But if you do not go to conventions primarily for gaming, then it matters that just about every single intangible (and even some tangible) thing that makes Gen-Con amazing is missing. Columbus' downtown is increasingly run-down and under construction and hard to navigate from last year (and definitely compared to ten years ago when I first went), the "Nerd Zone" Gen-Con creates where everything within like a 3-4 block radius becomes all about appealing to the Gen-Con attendee dollar and changing menus, signage, costumes, and attitudes to welcome you to the amazing event... well, at Origins, the convention's influence extends, uh, maybe five feet, as I think I maybe saw one crude Batman drawing on a store next to the convention center.

The extended convention center area itself was even under construction and had sometimes-broken escalators, and admittedly this hit me harder than it probably should have when I attempted to retreat to my last-year sanctuary coffee bar with comfortable seating and found only the entire area torn down to the concrete supports and a few construction workers staring at me.

Oh and the Exhibit Hall is about 1/10th the size of Gen-Con's, and admittedly I did still have a fine time wandering it for a couple of hours over two days, and certainly it provided most of my convention-related highlights. But mostly it just got me hyped up for the real thing in August.

:goshawk: Origins Trip Report :goshawk:

So Origins was less exciting than last year for me, which shouldn't be a surprise since last year was my first year there. It really does feel so much different than Gen Con, and not just because of the size. I dunno, I'll probably go back again next year if its mostly free again for DMing but it is no Gen Con. First day I went to Barley's for some pre game beers and to get their Origins pint glass and some annoying guy sat next to me and just wouldn't stop talking for the entire time I was there. Made me super grumpy and wishing I was just at Gen Con. Next day I ran my morning game then checked out the dealer hall for about 90 minutes and picked up a few things but nothing much jumped out at me. Really wanted some of the forge world LotR stuff but holy crap was some of it expensive. Why on earth do they use a 1.6 USD to GPD rate at shows when the current exchange rate is 1.27 to 1? Screw that. Anyway, that also made me grumpy and wish I was at Gen Con.

Friday was much the same as Thursday except I got to play a free game of True Dungeon so that was cool. Saturday was the D&D open which is both fun and a slog. My table got an award for me being the first DM to kill a player in the open so that was entertaining.

Bottom line, Origins feels like a much larger local con. I can best compare it to Gen Con in Milwaukee in the mid-90s pre CCG days. They apparently had 17000 unique badges which was fewer than I expected them to have, so you can see its like 1/4 the size of Gen Con. Its not bad to get your Con feet wet or get you excited for Gen Con but it is no substitute.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I like that you can sort by session and see that even TOVA has valuable things sometimes!

In 2016, someone sold THE PRIMIERE SEASON OF XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS on 12 VHS tapes for $7.

Reading what they sold at TOVA is a good, albeit weird, time.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

nesbit37 posted:

I need to do at least one more interview for this Gen Con project and I need someone who has been going for a few years mainly for cosplay type stuff. I was hoping to interview Mudcrab Merchant for this (and still totally will if she can) but I know she's been really busy and scheduling hasn't worked very well. Any of you here know someone suitable or know of someone in the general Gen Con community I should reach out to that might be good for this?

Haystack posted:

Try contacting folks from And Sewing is Half the Battle. It's the most active cosplay group in the region, as far as I know.

Little slow on this, but anyone have contact info for them? Their web page seems to be down. Also would be happy for other suggestions on individuals or groups that mainly go to Gen Con to cosplay, or of course definitely still happy to talk to Mudcrab Merchant if she has any time.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fellis posted:

a roller suitcase, the bigger the better. A backpack could hurt your back and shoulders don't loving do this

Backpacks are fine. If your hotel/car is close, consider budgeting time to run back and drop poo poo off or do all your shopping another day.

roller suitcase users deserve death by being bludgeoned w/ a bag of dice

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sloober posted:

roller suitcase users deserve death by being bludgeoned w/ a bag of dice

Either that or the boffer weapons without the padding on them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Either that or the boffer weapons without the padding on them.

It would be painful so yes.

For real i lust for roller suitcase user death at gen con

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
For me it's cosplay in the Dealer Hall. Like, I get that you spent a ton of time and effort on your costume and sure, it looks really bad-rear end. But can we perhaps agree that 6-foot-wide demon wings are a tad disruptive to throngs of people trying to negotiate narrow, crowded aisles? Not to mention the fact that you're stopping traffic every 30 seconds as you pose while some jerkwad snaps pics of you on his cellphone.

Cosplay absolutely has a place at GenCon. That place is not in the Dealer Hall.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Seeing people in crazy cosplay costumes is at least half the reason to go to a con. The occasional overly large costume is a small price to pay to have something fun to look at while in line.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Bottom line, Origins feels like a much larger local con. I can best compare it to Gen Con in Milwaukee in the mid-90s pre CCG days. They apparently had 17000 unique badges which was fewer than I expected them to have, so you can see its like 1/4 the size of Gen Con. Its not bad to get your Con feet wet or get you excited for Gen Con but it is no substitute.
That is a good way to put it. My favorite "this is just not a professional operation" moment was when I was going to get my badge with Torrent, and when we arrived at the room it said to go to to use the self-service kiosks, and of course that aforementioned room was blocked off, and we asked the people in front of it where to go. They said I could go to the pre-registration line, but Torrent could use the special GM badge line.

So, we each go off. I go to the pre-registration line, which turns out to mostly be an illusion (in the good way!) and I had my badge in about 30 seconds. I waited for Torrent for several minutes, then went looking for him. He was in a line only 6 people long, that nonetheless had not moved in ten minutes. Salvation appeared as a third person came to open up a new line! No, wait, just to tell the people waiting that they could also use the pre-registration line. And, needless to say, after going back to that line, something went wrong with printing his badge and it took another ten minutes of talking to differently-colored-shirt event staff to finally get his badge.

I mean, the first year of Gen-Con Indianapolis was worse, but...this is what year of Origins Columbus again? Like 15 or more? And it is still hard to get your badge printed? Sigh.

Yeah Origins can certainly be fun, but you have to make your own fun to a much greater degree than Gen-Con, where you cannot avoid fun no matter what you do. Well, if you leave your hotel anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone coming down to Dice Tower Con? I live like 20 minutes away and would be happy to game with goons vs the typical Dice Tower audience :v:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
B̷̷͍͖̣̠̮̞̤͓͙͙̗̦̥̀͡ͅȨ̞̹̫̣́͡͞Ẁ̵̰̖͖͉̠͓̠̜͓̲́Á̲̣͕͓͘͡Ŗ̢̣͍̖̜̬̳̖͚́͟E̕͞͏̴̪̥̮̺̖͇̠̝̹̭̟͖͕̼̱ͅͅ,̢̣̘̭͕͎̤̞̩͕̺̝̘̬̭͜͝ ̧͕̬̜̱̹̬̰T̶̡̛̛̲̣͚͉̣̹̤̫͢O͔̳̺̗̰̯̘̦̝̩̭͢͜ͅḾ̢͚͚̝̭̮̠̫̮ ̷̸͕͈̫̥̼̮́V̵҉̷̖̣̺͚͈͕͔̻̙͕̬͓̲̱̠͟͜ͅÁ̴̴̛̘̻͙͙̖͖̱̠̘̲̦̱̠͈̼͍S̢̧̭̣̬͉͈͚̠̳̤̼͈̤̘̳͉͓̲͝͝ͅͅE̡̢͓̞̝͔ͅL̶͝͏̸̺̣͇͍͉̗̲̟̺ ҉̴̳̬̥̩Ć̵̡̠͕͉Ǫ͍̬̮̫̩͉̙̫̳̺̲͈̖̙̩͓̫̤͘M̸̴͟҉̫̬̳̗͖̬̟͉̯͍̦̫͖͔̩ͅͅḘ͇̩̩̦̟̤͕̠́͢͝ͅS̴̡͍̝̤͍̙͇͖̖͇͖͝͠!̵̵̧̩͖̦͓͓̬͙̬̦͔̹̰̜̼͖̭̲͍̙͠

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm very good at not punching very punchable people.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

I did eventually figure out where it is from another page. Clearly Mudcrab Merchant will be there! Yeah probably not.

I had never heard of Dice Tower until last week when I finally decided I was ready to look for Gen-Con YouTube videos (knowing I might be reminded that 2016 existed). I was confused to hear such a thick Québécois accent, but otherwise I did enjoy their videos. Are they a big deal?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I did eventually figure out where it is from another page. Clearly Mudcrab Merchant will be there! Yeah probably not.

I had never heard of Dice Tower until last week when I finally decided I was ready to look for Gen-Con YouTube videos (knowing I might be reminded that 2016 existed). I was confused to hear such a thick Québécois accent, but otherwise I did enjoy their videos. Are they a big deal?

They're popular but are also well known in the SA circle as having really bad, nearly unforgivable opinions about things, in addition to dubious game reviews that cite fun as a reason to like something rather than a mechanics based analysis.

I'll never forget the complaint that Dungeon Lords had a knock against it because the game name made them think it was a dungeon crawler, when it isn't

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sloober posted:

They're popular but are also well known in the SA circle as having really bad, nearly unforgivable opinions about things, in addition to dubious game reviews that cite fun as a reason to like something rather than a mechanics based analysis.

I'll never forget the complaint that Dungeon Lords had a knock against it because the game name made them think it was a dungeon crawler, when it isn't
Well that sounds amazing. I guess I am lucky I only listened to their Gen-Con advice videos, as even bad-opinion-havers are generally on the right track when it comes to "how to enjoy a fun event."

LuiCypher posted:

In 2016, someone sold THE PRIMIERE SEASON OF XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS on 12 VHS tapes for $7.

Reading what they sold at TOVA is a good, albeit weird, time.
I was also crushed to see that all the stuff I sold at T.O.V.A. predates those records (no surprise, I suppose, as I had started auctioneering by 2012 and I was already pretty much done selling all my bizarre vaguely-gaming-related crap before then). Though looking at it again...now I am just confused, because some things only show up when you specifically search for them (like the Nintendo I sold for $60 at T.O.V.A., nothing is showing up at all as selling for $60 if you just search all of T.O.V.A.). Oh well!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Speaking of Gen Con advice videos, any good ones to watch this year? I mean, this is like my 20th Gen Con so I should know most of it by now but anything to keep the hype going for me is appreciated.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Speaking of Gen Con advice videos, any good ones to watch this year? I mean, this is like my 20th Gen Con so I should know most of it by now but anything to keep the hype going for me is appreciated.
I am looking for anything good, but in the meantime here is a 2017 Beginner's Guide to Gen-Con courtesy of BoardGameGeek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1799212/2017-gen-con-beginnerssurvivors-guide

And a Kia Sportage advertisement that, for some reason, talks about Gen-Con at first:
https://www.justshortofcrazy.com/attend-best-4-days-gaming/

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am looking for anything good, but in the meantime here is a 2017 Beginner's Guide to Gen-Con courtesy of BoardGameGeek:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1799212/2017-gen-con-beginnerssurvivors-guide

And a Kia Sportage advertisement that, for some reason, talks about Gen-Con at first:
https://www.justshortofcrazy.com/attend-best-4-days-gaming/

Really wierd

Brought to you by Carl's Jr

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Zee Garcia is the one member of the Dice Tower you can reliably listen to. He's the voice of reason in a sea of terrible.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sloober posted:

Really wierd

Brought to you by Carl's Jr

Hey, it's a good way to make money.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sloober posted:

Fun is unacceptable to goons, as witnessed by the title of the board games thread.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I love fun :)

This is also why the average Goon cannot stand being around me for more than 2 minutes.

Well, that and the spinning blades.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

fordan posted:

Fun is unacceptable to goons, as witnessed by the title of the board games thread.

Look here pal we don't play games to have fun, we play them to be nerds. This is what you just do.

If you know a better way to be nerds, i'd like to hear it.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Dr. Quarex posted:

I love fun :)

This is also why the average Goon cannot stand being around me for more than 2 minutes.

Well, that and the spinning blades.

The only reason I can stand being around you at all is because I own a t-shirt with your name on it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Sloober posted:

Look here pal we don't play games to have fun, we play them to be nerds. This is what you just do.

If you know a better way to be nerds, i'd like to hear it.

It's because the term 'fun' is so subjective that it ends up meaning nothing and is a terrible way of describing something. It's better to say why something is fun so that other people can know where your coming from. If you can't say why you find something fun, then you shouldn't be reviewing games.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

It's because the term 'fun' is so subjective that it ends up meaning nothing and is a terrible way of describing something. It's better to say why something is fun so that other people can know where your coming from. If you can't say why you find something fun, then you shouldn't be reviewing games.

:thejoke:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Backno posted:

The only reason I can stand being around you at all is because I own a t-shirt with your name on it.
Hahaha

Fair enough.

Also Nesbit37 I am now watching the Dice Tower's tips and tricks video for last year's event, did you watch that yet? Their 2015 one was decent, not that I really learn anything ever considering how much time I have spent absorbing all knowledge about Gen-Con. Plus I am delighted to learn that "random Québécois Accent Man" is the "good one."

Good lord I cannot believe how many of these things have appeared since the last time I looked a few years back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPV2Twplu9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW1w2ff3Pw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0fO86FpHvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD1fKjQlKao (I like this one, as this is apparently them saying WE HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS, PLEASE TELL US despite being the 6th in their series on Gen-Con)

Also I was like "who was that one tiny Irish girl who made videos about how excited she was to attend? Oh yeah, Nelly!" and I looked her up and uh, how has she gone from a twee Irish teenager to a surly American 30something in three years? I guess that is what conventions will do to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5I_quiTPI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqhHBcKbydg

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Sloober posted:

Look here pal we don't play games to have fun, we play them to win at all costs and break friendships.

Now it's correct.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Well, okay then. Carry on.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Slandible posted:

Now it's correct.

I will break my friendships regardless of winning or losing because if i lose it's due to you being a filthy cheating bastard

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD1fKjQlKao (I like this one, as this is apparently them saying WE HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS, PLEASE TELL US despite being the 6th in their series on Gen-Con)

The Gen Con vomit treat at the end is making me rage internally about everything I hate about gamers. I can't tell if thats a joke food or they are seriously suggesting people eat that thing but I wouldn't put it past several people to do so.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone coming down to Dice Tower Con? I live like 20 minutes away and would be happy to game with goons vs the typical Dice Tower audience :v:

I'll be going and I would be down to game with fellow goons.

I went last year, it's a fun little con and is pretty much playing board games from a huge library nonstop. The auction, flea market, and Coolstuff dinged and dented store are great too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sloober posted:

What boardgame channels or reviewers are worth watching? I've been watching a lot of Heavy Cardboard lately since they do full playthroughs and give good rules explanations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Rahdo Runs Through is pretty great for actually learning how a game works. The dude is pretty frantic sometimes, but he'll basically walk you through a few turns of a game, then cut the video and if you want a longer bit, the extended cut will have that, and then he'll do final thoughts as a separate clip. (And he has a friend annotate the video with all the mistakes he makes, so you can turn on a close captioning channel that points out when he says something dumb.)

It's not really a review, but it's tough to watch a guy play a game and not get a good feel of whether he likes it or not.

• Locked thread