Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

mormonpartyboat posted:

thats what i was talking about before you even jumped in, hoss

like do you need an academic breakdown of ~something awful posts~ so you can comprehend the very difficult concept of "a person making fun of formal logic classes for practical results - while suggesting a purely informal bullshit class instead - is rejecting formalism as irrelevant outside academics"

you described a rhetoric class, i said you described a rhetoric class, you said "nah, that's TOO FORMAL" because you've cracked the code on pedagogy that the rest of us cannot figure out.

that's you, hoss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

You can while still introducing new terms to them. Like how can you educate people without introducing new terms? I think you guys really overestimate how many students lose their mind upon encountering a word they don't know. Seriously, I mentioned three Greek terms and Mormon lost their mind. Somehow my students don't. I wonder why that is?

you grade them
why would they reveal that to you?
they do what most students do
nod like they are listening, read without understanding, memorize your opinions, and the pattern of your questioning
go home, cram the night before, and regurgitate whatever they think you want to hear
forget everything the second they move on to another class

years later they will forget what the word pathos means and why they ever had to care

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

you described a rhetoric class, i said you described a rhetoric class, you said "nah, that's TOO FORMAL" because you've cracked the code on pedagogy that the rest of us cannot figure out.

that's you, hoss.

nerd

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

has there been any mattering today

idk, you tell me

yer the secretary

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

below: a metaphor for 2016/2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxGuNJ-nEYg

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

you judged his argument to be dumb, because you disagreed with it, and instead of listing reasons why you disagreed, you instead made a personal attack on his intelligence, and perceived lack thereof due to a conclusion that you drew upon reading his argument, that the poster to you, appeared to be dumb

your logic is circular, and your delivery highly specious

now, have you considered a career in politics?

now, hear me out, we have a place for you here, and let's face it, all teachers will be first to die in the nuclear hellfire, since we don't need to have the kids knowing who did this to them

think on it

i didn't want to dignify it with an actual response but look where we are now :shrug:

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
My brain is saying Jeb but my heart is saying Jeb!.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Fidel Castronaut posted:

that's you, hoss.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

you grade them
why would they reveal that to you?
they do what most students do
nod like they are listening, read without understanding, memorize your opinions, and the pattern of your questioning
go home, cram the night before, and regurgitate whatever they think you want to hear
forget everything the second they move on to another class

years later they will forget what the word pathos means and why they ever had to care

college do anonymous evals at the end of the semester. i've seen people get lit up on those. not me tho!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

sorry for making lindsey graham seriouspost, folks.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
DONALD JOHN TRUMP

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.

logikv9 posted:

DONALD JOHN TRUMP

WOWWWWWW

MODS?!??!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

logikv9 posted:

DONALD JOHN TRUMP

FIR REAL?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Why is it that the only form of sleep newborns can get that won't kill them also seems to be the one they hate the most

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

college do anonymous evals at the end of the semester. i've seen people get lit up on those. not me tho!

You know as well as I do that evals are only done by two types of students: those who are total nerds and loved it, and those with a grudge (because they slept through class and failed). Most students don't give enough of a poo poo to bother with them, unless they're mandatory to get your grades and even then they do the bare-rear end minimum and leave few if any comments.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zegermans posted:

Why is it that the only form of sleep newborns can get that won't kill them also seems to be the one they hate the most

newborns instinctually seek death

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

rt'd lmao

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/876471268224233473

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

marmot25 posted:

My brain is saying Jeb but my heart is saying Jeb!.

listen to your heart :unsmith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:hai:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/876564458474135552

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
of all the derail attempts in here "newborns, am i rite?" is the most hopeless. but i can appreciate the try.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

also rt'd this
https://twitter.com/joegooding/status/876230622188097536

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You know as well as I do that evals are only done by two types of students: those who are total nerds and loved it, and those with a grudge (because they slept through class and failed). Most students don't give enough of a poo poo to bother with them, unless they're mandatory to get your grades and even then they do the bare-rear end minimum and leave few if any comments.

absolutely true but i only got like one grudge response and lindsey is acting like there's no way a teacher will ever get negative feedback because of the power dynamics of the classroom when that isn't true. hell, you don't need evals to be able to tell when students hate your class and/or you.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
watters is a little racist bitch

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

whats w/ this trump guy

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Turdfuzz posted:

whats w/ this trump guy

he's growing up

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

logikv9 posted:

watters is a little racist bitch

and yet still the least racist person in that screencap

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They required them where I went to school, and every professor got 5/5's in every class for me. I mean, they were handed out near the end of the semester and it was cutting into the crunch time where I had to stay up all night or two nights in a row for the third exam

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Turdfuzz posted:

whats w/ this trump guy

doesn't seem to have a good brain

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Turdfuzz posted:

whats w/ this trump guy

he isn't good at leadership or government or anything other than playing a heel in the media so he's making our country look real bad!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Captain_Maclaine posted:

i've been to two places, one that has the professor / TA give out the form during the last class and then leave the room while everyone filled it out and one where they required it for grades

i didn't give a gently caress for either

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

J law would probably be a good ivanka honestly, and silver linings playbook showed she could act opposite a mentally damaged romantic interest

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

*squints*

I'll allow it. :colbert:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Turdfuzz posted:

whats w/ this trump guy

he's president, right? no that cant be right. anyway how about that new twin peaks, huh? i love watching laura dern emote

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump has nominated ex-Rep Scott Garrett (R-NJ) to head the Export Import Bank

Garrett voted to close it in 2015

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

oh my God he can't stop milking that stupid poll that jumped 15 points overnight

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Joementum posted:

Trump has nominated ex-Rep Scott Garrett (R-NJ) to head the Export Import Bank

Garrett voted to close it in 2015

this is good news!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

It's pretty hosed up that O'Reilly's muleboy didn't get the boot with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU