Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ignoranus posted:

I'm trying to play Realm Grinder on my phone but the offline/total play time is really strange for it. I'm trying to pick up the trophy for being within 1 minute of playtime for each faction and it feels like the timers sometimes aren't incrementing when it seems like they should.

If the app is active when your phone goes to sleep (screen turns off) then it's effectively frozen in time. You have to make sure to either close it to accumulate offline time or keep it open all the time and not let your phone go to sleep.

E: fiuuuuuuuuck dragons. I thought I was past having to rely on lightning strike rng to make progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

AnonSpore posted:

E: fiuuuuuuuuck dragons. I thought I was past having to rely on lightning strike rng to make progress.

you don't have to rely on rng for dragons. just take the research that makes lightning strike always hit hall of legends.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
RNG with dragons will get better; when you tier-cast Dragon's Rage, it'll run multiple effects concurrently.

This is in stark contrast to Lightning Strike, where it will only hit one building at a time no matter what :argh:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm so close to merc research. So close. I need to go from e84 to e88ish gems, then I can get the unique building. I just can't afford it currently.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Emron posted:

I'm so close to merc research. So close. I need to go from e84 to e88ish gems, then I can get the unique building. I just can't afford it currently.

Enjoy the oh so slow grind to that point and once you get there you can raise almost every Lineage to 20 in half an hour :v:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

mirarant posted:

Enjoy the oh so slow grind to that point and once you get there you can raise almost every Lineage to 20 in half an hour :v:

I'm excited for it. RG seems like every time it gets unbearably grindy, it goes "jk now you can finish 4 reincarnations in an hour."

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
To build up offline time easily, export your progress, paste it somewhere, and then import it later. If it wasn't enough, wait a while and import it again. You don't even need to close the app (but you might as well).

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The wall to get merc research unlocked seems really rough at R75. I'm at e88 gems, using a build I saw on Kongregate that recommended chain casting DB, FC, and TC to unlock the undead lineage, but that is going incredibly slowly (a few hours in, I'm at 280 REs). Am I doing something wrong? Should I consider just pushing through to the next reincarnation?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Did you buy the Drow perk that reduces royal exchange cost?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Edly posted:

Did you buy the Drow perk that reduces royal exchange cost?

I think I bought dragon by accident. gently caress me.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
The faction shorthands for merc templates are incredibly confusing, I did the same thing several times. They could have just made them 3 letters long instead of giving us DW, DG, and DN.

You can just copy + paste merc builds into the import box like with research builds btw.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Edly posted:

The faction shorthands for merc templates are incredibly confusing, I did the same thing several times. They could have just made them 3 letters long instead of giving us DW, DG, and DN.

You can just copy + paste merc builds into the import box like with research builds btw.

I've never tried that on mobile. I'll have to try it out once I get off the ground with merc research.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

i personally found early merc research underwhelming enough that i just pushed through to r77 with faceless. merc research is expensive enough that until the early-mid 80s you probably won't be able to afford them at e88, try e89 or e90.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ijzer posted:

i personally found early merc research underwhelming enough that i just pushed through to r77 with faceless. merc research is expensive enough that until the early-mid 80s you probably won't be able to afford them at e88, try e89 or e90.

Yeah, merc research isn't great without GH6 and GB6.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Kind of neat hacking game
https://danielyxie.github.io/bitburner/

There's a scripting element to it, but you don't need much more than what I've got below. The tutorial is pretty good. Prestige mechanism is neat too.
The big danger is that if you take all the money from a server, it grows back super slow, so if you have automatic hacking scripts running, you need to alternate between hacking and growing (which regenerates the money).

Auto-buy nodes
Adjust all of the examples of '4' to be a higher number for more nodes, and if you want higher levels, set the 75 higher, or the ram higher etc.

pre:
while(hacknetnodes.length < 4) {  
    purchaseHacknetNode();   
};

for (i = 0; i < 4; i = i+1) {  
    while (hacknetnodes[i].level <= 75) {  
        hacknetnodes[i].upgradeLevel(5);  
        sleep(10000);  
    };  
};  
    while (hacknetnodes[i].ram < 8) {  
        hacknetnodes[i].upgradeRam();  
        sleep(10000);  
    };  
};  
    while (hacknetnodes[i].cores < 2) {  
        hacknetnodes[i].upgradeCore();  
        sleep(10000);  
    };  
};
And then you'll also need a few hacking scripts, have these on your home computer.

hack-template.script
pre:
s = getHostname();
 while(true) {
     if (getServerMoneyAvailable(s) > 300000) {
         hack(s);
     } else {
         grow(s);
     };
 }
grow-template.script
pre:
s = getHostname();
while(true) {
    grow(s);
}
and then I make a script like this, which breaks into the target (foodnstuff), copies the scripts over, and then runs them on the target.

pre:
nuke("foodnstuff");
scp("hack-template.script", "foodnstuff");
scp("grow-template.script", "foodnstuff");
exec("hack-template.script", "foodnstuff");
exec("grow-template.script", "foodnstuff");

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a scripting element to it, but you don't need much more than what I've got below. The tutorial is pretty good. Prestige mechanism is neat too.
The big danger is that if you take all the money from a server, it grows back super slow, so if you have automatic hacking scripts running, you need to alternate between hacking and growing (which regenerates the money).

Auto-buy nodes
Adjust all of the examples of '4' to be a higher number for more nodes, and if you want higher levels, set the 75 higher, or the ram higher etc.

pre:
while(hacknetnodes.length < 4) {  
    purchaseHacknetNode();   
};

while (hacknetnodes[i].level <= 75) {  
        hacknetnodes[i].upgradeLevel(5);  
        sleep(10000);  
    };  
};  
    while (hacknetnodes[i].ram < 8) {  
        hacknetnodes[i].upgradeRam();  
        sleep(10000);  
    };  
};  
    while (hacknetnodes[i].cores < 2) {  
        hacknetnodes[i].upgradeCore();  
        sleep(10000);  
    };  
};
And then you'll also need a few hacking scripts, have these on your home computer.

hack-template.script
pre:
s = getHostname();
 while(true) {
     if (getServerMoneyAvailable(s) > 300000) {
         hack(s);
     } else {
         grow(s);
     };
 }
grow-template.script
pre:
s = getHostname();
while(true) {
    grow(s);
}
and then I make a script like this, which breaks into the target (foodnstuff), copies the scripts over, and then runs them on the target.

pre:
nuke("foodnstuff");

Is this an ad for CDProjekt's Cyberpunk 2077?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ijzer posted:

Ok. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Giving this a shot, so far it's pretty interesting. The scripting documentation was a little poor, took me a while to realise it wanted a semi-colon after all brace blocks despite being rather inconsistent in the docs.

I wonder how it works out how much RAM a script takes. My gain-access script is longer than my upgrade-hacknet script but the upgrade script has loops in it which probably add to the cost.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I finally unlocked merc research (updating to 2.7.1 did it because it significantly dropped the cost), and I'm unlocking lineages with 2 million loving mana regen. What the gently caress.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

motherffffffff

Demon challenge I and I keep accidentally hitting buy all out of habit when I open up the phone.

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.
RG: is R45 still Titan grinding territory? I unlocked all the Titan spells except SS to tier3 during the weekend, but even reaching 1e28 gems was quite slow. Is there a faster way to reach the 1.8e30 gems I need for the next reincarnation to start working on Dragons?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ajon posted:

RG: is R45 still Titan grinding territory? I unlocked all the Titan spells except SS to tier3 during the weekend, but even reaching 1e28 gems was quite slow. Is there a faster way to reach the 1.8e30 gems I need for the next reincarnation to start working on Dragons?

Yeah R45 is titans for sure.

http://musicfamily.org/realm/R40-R46/

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

ijzer posted:

I'm at r87 now, and I go faceless from e40-e70, then a better faceless from e70-e89. Then one run with Pagan Lizards to e90/91, a quick run for GB11 then to the Rastan build 82+. Now I'm trying to get the hang of the FUDG build, which is fiddly and sucks.

All merc builds from http://musicfamily.org/realm/R75Plus/

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

frankenbeans posted:

I'm at r87 now, and I go faceless from e40-e70, then a better faceless from e70-e89. Then one run with Pagan Lizards to e90/91, a quick run for GB11 then to the Rastan build 82+. Now I'm trying to get the hang of the FUDG build, which is fiddly and sucks.

just to make my life less complicated, i use the excavation requiring faceless build from e30 to e88-89. the gb11 build will actually take me from there to e95 on its own.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

frankenbeans posted:

You should be able to use a single faceless build the whole time. Just excavate for faction coins to buy undead lineage once you affiliate with dragons.

I just use this one:
S135,S215,S250,S305,S330,S1450,S1500,
C250,C330,C340,C400,C1300,C1325,
D55,D245,D260,D320,D1125,D1275,D1375,
E135,E145,E350,E460,E1225,E1425,
A105,A120,A150,A250,A305,A400,
W150,W180,W275,W290,W400,W1375

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

poo poo i got back into realm grinder

waiting for the 10k spellcasts so i can unlock drow is :negative:

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

Beasteh posted:

poo poo i got back into realm grinder

waiting for the 10k spellcasts so i can unlock drow is :negative:

wait until r3, do it with mercs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

chiefnewo posted:

Giving this a shot, so far it's pretty interesting. The scripting documentation was a little poor, took me a while to realise it wanted a semi-colon after all brace blocks despite being rather inconsistent in the docs.

I wonder how it works out how much RAM a script takes. My gain-access script is longer than my upgrade-hacknet script but the upgrade script has loops in it which probably add to the cost.

I've gotten a bit further, it looks like the way to go for earning big bucks is to run as many copies of the following code as possible:

foodnstuff01.script
pre:
s = 'foodnstuff';
while(true) {
    grow(s);
    if (getServerSecurityLevel(s) > 2) { weaken(s);};
};
and then have a few of these going:

foodnstuff00.script
pre:
s = 'foodnstuff';
while(true) {
    if (getServerMoneyAvailable(s) > 49000000) { 
        hack(s);
    } else {
        grow(s);
    }
};
The first one grows the server and tries to keep the security low, the second one hacks only when the money is under 4.9m (server max is 5m)
Higher level servers have higher limits, I've heard phantasy is a good one to buff on after getting a few augmentations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've gotten a bit further, it looks like the way to go for earning big bucks is to run as many copies of the following code as possible:

foodnstuff01.script
pre:
s = 'foodnstuff';
while(true) {
    grow(s);
    if (getServerSecurityLevel(s) > 2) { weaken(s);};
};
and then have a few of these going:

foodnstuff00.script
pre:
s = 'foodnstuff';
while(true) {
    if (getServerMoneyAvailable(s) > 49000000) { 
        hack(s);
    } else {
        grow(s);
    }
};
The first one grows the server and tries to keep the security low, the second one hacks only when the money is under 4.9m (server max is 5m)
Higher level servers have higher limits, I've heard phantasy is a good one to buff on after getting a few augmentations.

I only played about a minute of this (didn't finish the tutorial, even) but I don't understand why you can't just roll that into one script. And if it's important to parallelize so you can run more copies of the same script or whatever, why does the second one still have the grow function in it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GrossMurpel posted:

I only played about a minute of this (didn't finish the tutorial, even) but I don't understand why you can't just roll that into one script. And if it's important to parallelize so you can run more copies of the same script or whatever, why does the second one still have the grow function in it?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the scripting system, but I don't think you can run multiple threads within one script.
As for the second script, adding the grow function makes it do something when it's too low to hack, other than endlessly checking the value and doing nothing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

For unlocking the UL15 related buff, does anyone have a research build for getting Night Time up to 1 minute in duration?

e: Nevermind, just needed D200 and D330.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Meanwhile, I've been playing Factory Idle and spent half an hour trying to spaghetti up a gas/oil lab -> research center configuration that didn't waste production on one end or the other; with current production, I can get the labs making 16 reports every 20 ticks and each research building takes 12 reports every 20 ticks, so I rearranged the belts so that they split twice and 1/4 of each lab is sent to the fourth research center instead. This is an oddly-satisfying game.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So I'm banging out my last artifacts and researches as I approach R40. Research wise, I just need 40 artifacts (which I'm doing, but it's slow going with some of these), reaching 15000 max mana, and getting 200 drow/dwarf exchanges with the various factions.

Are there ideal builds to get the mana and the exchanges on each? Or is it just a matter of plowing forward and hoping for the best?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got a 15000 max mana build pretty easily once I actually focused on it. Still will need the exchange ones.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 19, 2017

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the scripting system, but I don't think you can run multiple threads within one script.
As for the second script, adding the grow function makes it do something when it's too low to hack, other than endlessly checking the value and doing nothing.

I'm just annoyed that there isn't a script function to scan, or to run terminal commands (maybe you get something like this later, I don't know).

I just want to write one script which discovers servers, hacks them when able, and deploys itself on them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sibling of TB posted:

I'm just annoyed that there isn't a script function to scan, or to run terminal commands (maybe you get something like this later, I don't know).

I just want to write one script which discovers servers, hacks them when able, and deploys itself on them.

Well
pre:
Scan-Analyze 3
will show you all the ones close to you.

I've got a script that might help you out:

pre:
nuke("foodnstuff");

nuke("sigma-cosmetics");
scp("hack-template.script", "sigma-cosmetics");
scp("grow-template.script", "sigma-cosmetics");
exec("hack-template.script", "sigma-cosmetics");
exec("grow-template.script", "sigma-cosmetics");

nuke("joesguns");
scp("hack-template.script", "joesguns");
scp("grow-template.script", "joesguns");
exec("hack-template.script", "joesguns");
exec("grow-template.script", "joesguns");

nuke("nectar-net");
scp("hack-template.script", "nectar-net");
scp("grow-template.script", "nectar-net");
exec("hack-template.script", "nectar-net");
exec("grow-template.script", "nectar-net");

nuke("hong-fang-tea");
scp("hack-template.script", "hong-fang-tea");
scp("grow-template.script", "hong-fang-tea");
exec("hack-template.script", "hong-fang-tea");
exec("grow-template.script", "hong-fang-tea");

nuke("harakiri-sushi");
scp("hack-template.script", "harakiri-sushi");
scp("grow-template.script", "harakiri-sushi");
exec("hack-template.script", "harakiri-sushi");
exec("grow-template.script", "harakiri-sushi");

brutessh("neo-net");
nuke("neo-net");
scp("hack-template.script", "neo-net");
scp("grow-template.script", "neo-net");
exec("hack-template.script", "neo-net");
exec("grow-template.script", "neo-net");

brutessh("zer0");
nuke("zer0");
scp("hack-template.script", "zer0");
scp("grow-template.script", "zer0");
exec("hack-template.script", "zer0");
exec("grow-template.script", "zer0");

brutessh("max-hardware");
nuke("max-hardware");
scp("hack-template.script", "max-hardware");
scp("grow-template.script", "max-hardware");
exec("hack-template.script", "max-hardware");
exec("grow-template.script", "max-hardware");

brutessh("iron-gym");
nuke("iron-gym");
scp("hack-template.script", "iron-gym");
scp("grow-template.script", "iron-gym");
exec("hack-template.script", "iron-gym");
exec("grow-template.script", "iron-gym");

ftpcrack("phantasy");
brutessh("phantasy");
nuke("phantasy");
Make sure you have a hack-template.script and a grow-template.script.

something like this:

pre:
s = getHostname();
 while(true) {
     if (getServerMoneyAvailable(s) > 1000000) {
         hack(s);
     } else {
         grow(s);
     };
 }
I've been fiddling with something like this:

pre:
s = getHostname();
i = getServerMoneyAvailable(s)
i = i * 49
 while(true) {
     if (getServerMoneyAvailable(s) > i) {
         hack(s);
     } else {
         grow(s);
     };
 }
but haven't tested it yet. The max money for a server is 50* the starting amount, so it could be used on any of them.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 19, 2017

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I actually didn't realize that scripts could scp, (hack, grow whatever) servers not adjacent to them in the network tree. So I guess I'm going to tell everyone to hack/grow/weaken joe's guns forever.

HostList = Array['iron-gym','foodnstuff','nectar-net','CSEC','omega-net','phantasy','silver-helix','sigma-cosmetics','max-hardware','joesguns','hong-fang-tea','zer0','neo-net','harakiri-sushi','darkweb','foodnstuff','nectar-net','home','iron-gym','sigma-cosmetics','joesguns','hong-fang-tea','harakiri-sushi','darkweb','omega-net','avmnite-02h','syscore','summit-uni','phantasy','crush-fitness','comptek','catalyst','rothman-uni','silver-helix'];

for( i = 0; i < HostList.length; i = i+1) {
host = HostList[i];
brutessh(host);
nuke(host);
scp('growGun.script',host);
numThread = 10;
while((exec('growGun.script', host, numThread)==false) && (numThread > 1)){
numThread = numThread - 1;
};
};

Huh, this opened up iron-gym even though I only have 57 hacking (requires 100).

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 19, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Don't forget, you can buy your own servers. In Volhaven you can buy super beefy ones. Create growGun00-99.script, scp them all over, and then exec them.

As for hack requirements, you aren't taking money from the server, so I think you can still get root access.

Edit:

Also Volhaven has a better university. More expensive, but better xp.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to get Realm Grinder aside from Kongregate?

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It still connects to Kongregate through Steam. Answer is no