Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Petr posted:

Not individually, no. I was just giving the estimate for total dead in the genocide. That's several presidents' worth.

well ok but bush has a million dead iraqis and that's just iraq

like, pretty sure he was bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
The election hasn't even happened yet and already I need to take a break from this thread.

Just gonna go lie down and think about how doomed forever we all are.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

stone cold posted:

that still leaves plenty of room in the bottom five for bush

like, that's four

Gee willikers, I didn't say "off the top of my head" or anything

mcmagic posted:

Bush was definitely worse than Reagan Nixon and Harding. Buchanan was a horror but he was only a single term president. Bush was able to do more harm.

You're completely insane if you don't think Reagan didn't do more overall damage than Bush. Direct body count isn't the only metric.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ossoff is big for the narrative, and specifically because it might have real ramifications on the stuff currently happening in Congress, especially the AHCA. Ossof wins and Republicans might get scared and change their approach/votes. Handel wins and those same Republicans may feel safe to just be all they can be for the cause.

But the people saying "20 pt swings are meaningless if the democrat needed 21 pts to win!" are just idiots. We're seeing tons of evidence of a wave. Its just not yielding results in deep red elections to replace Republicans who were chosen specifically because the GOP assumed their seats would be safe.

But its probably best to just tap out of this thread for the next few days because the poo poo posting is going to come out in force regardless of what happens.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He had them. The problem is that the Apprentice contracts included a five million fine for leaking on set recordings Trump didn't authorize.

This sounds like a problem George Soros can fix.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FuriousxGeorge posted:

This sounds like a problem George Soros can fix.

Somebody literally offered to pay for the tapes, I don't remember who. But some ultrarich guy was going to protect any leakers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

Gee willikers, I didn't say "off the top of my head" or anything

You're completely insane if you don't think Reagan did more overall damage than Bush. Direct body count isn't the only metric.

Reagan did cultural damage to the country that we are still recovering from but Bush did actual tangible evil consistently for 8 years that not only resulted in a direct body count but also changing the way the US does foreign policy and domestic security (due to something that happened because they were asleep at the switch) that will probably never be rolled back in addition to overseeing the destruction of a major US city and the biggest transfer of wealth to the rich in the history of the country. You can literally never run out of ways to describe the horror of that administration.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Regan was worse than Bush domestically. Bush was worse internationally.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So um, why is the thread now convinced that Orsoff is going to lose? And why are they acting so smug about it? I mean, the polling hasn't changed and early turnout has been great. Also unlike Montana which remains a deep red state this Georgia district has been trending purple for years now so big turnout doesn't simply mean more Republicans.

Is it because being a bunch of broke brained pessimists allows you to always move the goal posts so that you're, in the end, always right about something? If he wins no one will really call you out because "well he was supposed to win" but if he loses you get to smugly broadcast to everyone how right you were.

Can someone change my custom title to "broke brained goal post moving pessimist"

STAC Goat posted:

Ossof wins and Republicans might get scared and change their approach/votes.

Ossof wins and Republicans need to ditch Trump with enough distance between them and 2018 to make the public forget. So like at least a handful of months.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So um, why is the thread now convinced that Orsoff is going to lose? And why are they acting so smug about it? I mean, the polling hasn't changed and early turnout has been great. Also unlike Montana which remains a deep red state this Georgia district has been trending purple for years now so big turnout doesn't simply mean more Republicans.

Mostly because the polling in the last few days has been trending Handel's way and Democrats haven't had a non-disastrous election night in years now.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I don't how know we're going to survive 7.5 more years of this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HannibalBarca posted:

Mostly because the polling in the last few days has been trending Handel's way and Democrats haven't had a non-disastrous election night in years now.

Thanks, dumb rear end in a top hat who shot up a baseball field!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Trump is not going to be reelected, either through his decision or Americas

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Night10194 posted:

What did you expect from a Bernie-crat

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Won't this Georgia seat be up for reelection in 2018 anyway?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Night10194 posted:

That, combined with the suspiciously convenient timing of *someone* (cough cough) mailing death threats in envelopes full of baking soda to Handel's culdesac, really played into the insane right-wing culture war histrionics that have been the bread and butter of Handel's campaign. All the "fundamentals" advantages won't give us the House back in 2018 unless we learn how to close the Ratfucking skill gap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

From the primaries and through her singing at NBC, Megyn Kelly was considered a superstar, right? I'm not misremembering?

And now her ratings on NBC are atrociously pitiful?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mcmagic posted:

Bush was definitely worse than Reagan Nixon and Harding. Buchanan was a horror but he was only a single term president. Bush was able to do more harm.

Buchanan's response to South Carolina seceding was pretty much "eh, that sucks but I guess I can't do anything about this!"

Then again, I guess it'd probably help to define what metrics you're using for worst president here. Bush was much, much worse for the rest of the world than he was for the US.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Blitz7x posted:

Trump is not going to be reelected, either through his decision or Americas

Counterpoint. The public are idiots and you should never underestimate how self destructive and dangerous they are. Of course he can be re elected.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

all the last-minute concern trolls are coming out in full force. your worry fuels me!

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Jon Ossoff waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were Republicans in the House. He didn’t see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Hillary Clinton were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Jon was a film maker for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the elections and he said to dad “I want to run for congress daddy.”
Dad said “No! You will BE KILL BY REPUBLICANS”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the special election for GA-06 he knew there were republicans.
“This is Clinton” the radio crackered. “You must fight the Republicans!”
So Jon gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
“HE GOING TO UNSEAT US” said the republicans
“I will shoot at him” said the cyberhandel and she fired the rocket missiles. Jon plasmaed at her and tried to blew her up. But then the polling stations closed and they were trapped and not able to vote.
“No! I must unseat the republicans” he shouted
The radio said “No, Jon. You are the republicans”
And then Jon was a DINO.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Won't this Georgia seat be up for reelection in 2018 anyway?

Yes, it is a House seat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Buchanan's response to South Carolina seceding was pretty much "eh, that sucks but I guess I can't do anything about this!"

Then again, I guess it'd probably help to define what metrics you're using for worst president here. Bush was much, much worse for the rest of the world than he was for the US.

Bush's response to the destruction of a major US city was pretty much "eh, that sucks but I guess I can't do anything about this!"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mcmagic posted:

Bush's response to the destruction of a major US city was pretty much "eh, that sucks but I guess I can't do anything about this!"

I dunno, man. Katrina was pretty bad, but I wouldn't exactly put it on par with the civil war.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Jon Ossoff waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were Republicans in the House. He didn’t see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Hillary Clinton were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Jon was a film maker for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the elections and he said to dad “I want to run for congress daddy.”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the special election for GA-06 he knew there were republicans.
“I will shoot at him” said the cyberhandel and she fired the rocket missiles. Jon plasmaed at her and tried to blew her up. But then the polling stations closed and they were trapped and not able to vote.
And then Jon was a DINO.

:perfect:

Well done.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
A lot of folks seriously forgetting how bad Bush was.

I don't think he was dumb, the cowboy thing was a character.

But he was really, really bad. Trump, luckily, is actually dumb and appears to be so incompetent it's limiting the destruction he can do, though his cabinet appointments have been legit horrifying.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/876953529067257856
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/876956422340300801
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/876945893072744449
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/876953064846000128

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

And then Jon was a DINO.

This is a pretty good take on a classic.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

People were wondering why we were worried before when someone pointed out that Georgia GOP was saying things like "that shooting is going to win us the election."

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone who can should go to the Museum of Native Americans in DC. There's a room upstairs that is just a giant rotunda displaying a series of broken treaties between the colonists and native nations going westwards. At the end Andrew Jackson's sword sits in a glass panel.

We do not live in a just or reasonable universe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

A lot of folks seriously forgetting how bad Bush was.

I don't think he was dumb, the cowboy thing was a character.

But he was really, really bad. Trump, luckily, is actually dumb and appears to be so incompetent it's limiting the destruction he can do, though his cabinet appointments have been legit horrifying.

It's pretty horrible that Perry is probably in the top five of least bad cabinet appointees. :negative:

Behind at least Mattis, McMaster, and oh god literally the Exxon executive

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Josh Lyman posted:

From the primaries and through her singing at NBC, Megyn Kelly was considered a superstar, right? I'm not misremembering?

And now her ratings on NBC are atrociously pitiful?

She was a big deal at Fox but she took a hit when Trump targeted her and (if I remember right) she ended up signing with NBC for a lot less than she was hoping for. Now we seem to be confirming what I and a lot of people thought, that her audience was the RWM bubble and they're not going to follow her to a new network. If Kelly's going to have any success on NBC she's going to have to build new credibility and respect, and she's working from behind the 8 ball because she did a lot of damage to herself all those years at Fox.

I think it was stupid for NBC if they really expected her to succeed, although I do wonder how much of it was about just taking her away from Fox to hurt them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Doing that Alex Jones interview probably knee capped Kelly's attempt at a comeback.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Interesting:

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/876965266856345600

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's pretty horrible that Perry is probably in the top five of least bad cabinet appointees. :negative:

Behind at least Mattis, McMaster, and oh god literally the Exxon executive

Perry is better for the DOE and America than Tillerson. He apparently has been a pretty hands-off administrator and has focused more on working on behalf of his subordinates and taking their advice seriously, rather than micromanaging them. Honestly, it's probably better to have someone like him in charge of the DOE to lobby for its importance and navigate Congress rather than some physicist.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Blitz7x posted:

What did you expect from a Bernie-crat

also a stein voter

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Covok posted:

People were wondering why we were worried before when someone pointed out that Georgia GOP was saying things like "that shooting is going to win us the election."

holy poo poo - no, you don't get to say things are radically changed based on one poll that shows movement by less than half the margin of error on that poll

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

STAC Goat posted:

Ossoff is big for the narrative, and specifically because it might have real ramifications on the stuff currently happening in Congress, especially the AHCA. Ossof wins and Republicans might get scared and change their approach/votes. Handel wins and those same Republicans may feel safe to just be all they can be for the cause.

But the people saying "20 pt swings are meaningless if the democrat needed 21 pts to win!" are just idiots. We're seeing tons of evidence of a wave. Its just not yielding results in deep red elections to replace Republicans who were chosen specifically because the GOP assumed their seats would be safe.

But its probably best to just tap out of this thread for the next few days because the poo poo posting is going to come out in force regardless of what happens.

I freely confess that if Ossoff wins I may be unable to restrain myself regarding our local doomsayers and purity commissars. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's insane that they haven't nominated anyone at State and have a hiring freeze. The org chart was a disaster after the election but everybody assumed things would go back to normal with an adult like Tillerson in charge. RIP

• Locked thread