Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

bolind posted:

Proprietary screws are such a loving stupid useless arms race. Especially security torx and their ugly cousins. Yay let's make a hole in the bit so it breaks that much easier.

360 controllers are put together with security torx. When I took my old one apart, the screws were cheesy enough that I just snapped all the pins off and used a standard torx bit :v:. Security!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'd like to see you do coax.

Okay I actually have a tool for that. But I have done 4 gauge.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

um excuse me posted:

Well at that gauge your can just peel it with a pocket knife.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

um excuse me posted:

:v: Ok you got me.

Can you do a fiber splice with your mouth?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

100% Dundee posted:

Pro-tip for anyone looking at some Milwaukee cordless stuff, I've been looking for a sale on the M12 Hex driver tool and Home Depot just put up their fathers day sales about a week ago. $99 for a Two tool bundle online only*(M12 Drill, M12 Hex Driver, two standard M12 Batteries, one XC6.0 extended battery, charger, carrying bag). Thing is the bundle with the extra XC6.0 battery quickly went out of stock online but some smart fellows on the coupon websites decided to just go into the store and try buying the bundle with the extra battery, sure enough it works perfectly. When you ring it up at the register you get the two tool bundle for $99, then the extra battery for $89.99 then it immediately deducts the $89.99 from the total so total it ended up being $104.95 for me. I'm planning on trying to pawn off the extra charger(since I already have one), M12 Drill(since I already have an M18 drill) and maybe one of the batteries on craigslist or something for like $50-60 bucks and hopefully end up with the M12 hex driver I wanted, one standard battery, one extended battery and the carrying bag for $40-50.

*Turns out it's not online only. It will not be advertised in the store, but it works. Just grab the bundle and the battery, go to checkout!

Is this basically the deal that we are looking for:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551942&postcount=747

If so, nice and will jump on it.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is this basically the deal that we are looking for:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551942&postcount=747

If so, nice and will jump on it.

Couldn't see anything in that link but here is the link from Home Depot's website, as you can see it will say out of stock on the website. (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-2460/302009315)

But yes, just go into store, grab the bundle, grab the battery and it will check out for $99.99+89.99-89.99=~$105 Two tools, two normal batteries, one extended battery, charger, carrying bag. In my store they had one of those center aisle pylons filled with the bundles but I had to go hunt the battery out of the tool section, those weren't displayed.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 14, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can also return the two kit combo for half of the purchase price, if you only want the 6AH battery.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

100% Dundee posted:

Couldn't see anything in that link but here is the link from Home Depot's website, as you can see it will say out of stock on the website. (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-2460/302009315)

But yes, just go into store, grab the bundle, grab the battery and it will check out for $99.99+89.99-89.99=~$105 Two tools, two normal batteries, one extended battery, charger, carrying bag. In my store they had one of those center aisle pylons filled with the bundles but I had to go hunt the battery out of the tool section, those weren't displayed.

Thank you! Got one of the last two kits at my local HD. They only had one 6ah battery left that looked like it'd been bought and returned ten times already, haha. No need for the big battery so I returned it also, two tools, two standard batteries and charger for barely over $50. Smoking deal.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got my drill and driver for $50. drat good deal, thanks for posting!

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Ended up selling the M12 Drill + standard M12 battery + charger to a guy on craigslist for $70. Got my M12 Hex Driver + battery + carrying bag + extended battery down to $30! Cant beat that...unless of course I go return the extended battery for $47...decisions.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 18, 2017

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
How much better is Milwaukee than Ryobi? Is this deal good enough for me to switch?
I've had a combo kit from Ryobi for well past 8 years now (back when they were blue). I have a drill/circular saw/recip saw that all work fine, but I'm not a power user.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

How much better is Milwaukee than Ryobi? Is this deal good enough for me to switch?
I've had a combo kit from Ryobi for well past 8 years now (back when they were blue). I have a drill/circular saw/recip saw that all work fine, but I'm not a power user.

According to some of the coupon websites this deal is fairly common, or at least ones like it. If you're already in the ryobi ecosystem (batteries, chargers, tools, etc) and those are working fine for you it probably won't be worth switching. If you're looking to upgrade or the ryobi units aren't doing everything you need, it might be a a good place to start.

But again if you miss out on this one, it'll be back eventually.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Perfect, thanks for the advice!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

savesthedayrocks posted:

you can use the newer ryobi 18v lithium batteries with old blue tools

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's fantastic

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
What are iOS apps are people using for OBD2 scanning? I would like something that can log live data easily, and hopefully access transmission data from a 2001 Chevy Silverado and a 2004 Subaru Outback.
I've tried googling but I'm getting 99.995% click-bate list sites. :(

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

monsterzero posted:

What are iOS apps are people using for OBD2 scanning? I would like something that can log live data easily, and hopefully access transmission data from a 2001 Chevy Silverado and a 2004 Subaru Outback.

Cheap, no service Android phones with Torque installed + Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. Getting it done on iOS is a pain in the dick and/or costs more than $100.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah. Long story short: when talking Bluetooth to a thingie, you want to talk SPP (Serial Port Profile) and Android supports that; iDevices don't. They support their own proprietary standard which is expensive and a pain in the butt, so Entrepreneur Chang in Guangzhou isn't gonna gently caress around with that.

My guess is that's why Carly for BMW has a little WiFi access point built into their OBDII dongle.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Since we're talking about it: if you know anyone with T-Mo prepaid service, there's a promo to get a free poo poo-tastic android phone with the purchase of a $100 refill.

I'm literally walking out of the store with a Samsung J3 I intend to use exclusively for Torque. https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/web-to-retail

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Walmart has a $20 Android phone you can buy and just never activate too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9CYLKHaT-4

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

monsterzero posted:

OBDCarDoctor and a generic $10 eBay ELM32 wifi adapter its worked in all our cars so far, both domestic and foreign. I can log and reset codes and can also see the live data from the ECU.

IOS app is free.

Also loaned it to a buddy so he could diagnose a transmission issue on his 20XX Outback. Same app, but on android.

Android app is also free. Same functionality as on IOS.

I also picked up a couple of generic $4 eBay ELM32 bluetooth adapters but didn't notice that these use bluetooth radios which are incompatible with IOS devices. These devices do link to android devices, and work with the same app.

BTW never ever ever ever install any of the software or "drivers" included on the mini-cds supplied by the various Chinese sellers. I threw one into a throwaway Windows test box and ran a scan... the number of viruses and keyloggers was truly impressive

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 19, 2017

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I've recently come into possession of a Precision Scientific vacuum pump just like this one:

It runs great. Heavy as gently caress, though. My first thought was that I was going to cannibalize the motor to use as a crude bench grinder, but it's only got a 1/3hp motor and frankly I'd prefer to have guards around the wheel anyway (and I don't feel like fabricating anything).

I know I could turn it into one heck of a brake bleeder but I don't have a lot of space, so I look askance at single-use machines. Unfortunately, I don’t know really know what exactly to use it for besides brakes. About half the cursory Google search results are “cool science experiments for the classroom,” a quarter are joke responses like “put it on your dick,” and most of the remainder are fabrication stuff like vacuum molding of plastic and leather, which I'm not doing, nor do I plan on ever doing. What other practical garage uses are there for this thing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Cubelodyte posted:

I've recently come into possession of a Precision Scientific vacuum pump just like this one:

It runs great. Heavy as gently caress, though. My first thought was that I was going to cannibalize the motor to use as a crude bench grinder, but it's only got a 1/3hp motor and frankly I'd prefer to have guards around the wheel anyway (and I don't feel like fabricating anything).

I know I could turn it into one heck of a brake bleeder but I don't have a lot of space, so I look askance at single-use machines. Unfortunately, I don’t know really know what exactly to use it for besides brakes. About half the cursory Google search results are “cool science experiments for the classroom,” a quarter are joke responses like “put it on your dick,” and most of the remainder are fabrication stuff like vacuum molding of plastic and leather, which I'm not doing, nor do I plan on ever doing. What other practical garage uses are there for this thing?

A/C vacuum pump.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

The Cubelodyte posted:

I got that exact same pump! Gonna use it for a vacuum former, if I ever get around to it. It's currently on the healing bench and I need to replace the main gasket. You can probably sell it on craigslist/kijiji for a few hundred.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Cubelodyte posted:

It would probably be good for making carbon fibre bits if you ever felt up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E

It doesn't seem that difficult. Just time consuming.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Powershift posted:

It would probably be good for making carbon fibre bits if you ever felt up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E

It doesn't seem that difficult. Just time consuming.

Yeah, I was gonna suggest vacuum bagging carbon fiber.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

The Cubelodyte posted:

It runs great. Heavy as gently caress, though.

i also have the same pump. i used it to vacuum bag model sailplane wings and other composite plane parts

yes it's tedious, but the results are worth it.

i still have one of my original experiments kicking in the shop somewhere. turns out that setting the vacuum too high results in reeeeealy flat wings :(

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

100% Dundee posted:

opengl128 posted:

Thank you! Got one of the last two kits at my local HD. They only had one 6ah battery left that looked like it'd been bought and returned ten times already, haha. No need for the big battery so I returned it also, two tools, two standard batteries and charger for barely over $50. Smoking deal.

CloFan posted:

Got my drill and driver for $50. drat good deal, thanks for posting!

Man, I'm trying to be all clever like you guys but can't find a HD in my area with one of the freaking 6Ah batteries in stock. Every store I call basically says "Wow, for whatever reason that battery is very popular right now! Don't have it in stock, sorry!" Best response I got was one store that should receive some on the 23rd and have them back on display on the 24th, which is the last day of the bundle deal.

Is it even worthwhile to physically poke around in case returns weren't properly re-entered in the SKU system or should I just wait until the one store replenishes their stock on the 24th?

cigaw fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 20, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

cigaw posted:

Man, I'm trying to be all clever like you guys but can't find a HD in my area with one of the freaking 6Ah batteries in stock. Every store I call basically says "Wow, for whatever reason that battery is very popular right now! Don't have it in stock, sorry!" Best response I got was one store that should receive some on the 23rd and have them back on display on the 24th, which is the last day of the bundle deal.

Is it even worthwhile to physically poke around in case returns weren't properly re-entered in the SKU system or should I just wait until the one store replenishes their stock on the 24th?

Same from the one store I went to. Said they had 2 in stock but couldn't find them anywhere, even in the rafters.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I ran into the same thing, at the fourth store I asked if they'd sell me the two pack of XC 3.0 batteries for the difference. $117 and change for the two tools and four goddamn batteries.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm trying to find a place to get good recommendations on tool sets. I've got a few scattered random cheap Stanley toolsets and I'd like to sell those all off and consolidate with a nice set of sockets, wrenches, etc. These would be for some automotive work and also for general use.

Basically I'm hoping to get a pretty substantial set of box wrenches in standard and metric and the same for a set of short and deep sockets in 3/8 and at least standard and metric in 1/4, possibly with some 1/2 drive as well but I can buy those more on an 'as need' basis. Would be nice to also grab one with a decent set of torx and hex head bits as well. I don't have a compressor nor am I looking at impact tools at this time.

I grew up using Matco stuff in my dads shop and I'm well aware that's going to be far more than I need for my very limited use. I'd like to spend somewhere in the $300 range (or at least find out if that's too much to ask for at this price). Before I started shopping around I just wanted to find out what the decent budget tool vendors were and also ones that I should avoid like the plague. I'd also separately (or together if its a very comprehensive set) get channel locks, vice grips, couple pliers and screwdriver sets as well.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

That Works posted:

I'm trying to find a place to get good recommendations on tool sets. I've got a few scattered random cheap Stanley toolsets and I'd like to sell those all off and consolidate with a nice set of sockets, wrenches, etc. These would be for some automotive work and also for general use.

Basically I'm hoping to get a pretty substantial set of box wrenches in standard and metric and the same for a set of short and deep sockets in 3/8 and at least standard and metric in 1/4, possibly with some 1/2 drive as well but I can buy those more on an 'as need' basis. Would be nice to also grab one with a decent set of torx and hex head bits as well. I don't have a compressor nor am I looking at impact tools at this time.

I grew up using Matco stuff in my dads shop and I'm well aware that's going to be far more than I need for my very limited use. I'd like to spend somewhere in the $300 range (or at least find out if that's too much to ask for at this price). Before I started shopping around I just wanted to find out what the decent budget tool vendors were and also ones that I should avoid like the plague. I'd also separately (or together if its a very comprehensive set) get channel locks, vice grips, couple pliers and screwdriver sets as well.

Costco has a $99 tool kit that will get you a solid assortment of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2in sockets, and box wrenches. It was just on sale for $69, it's a steal at that and a solid value at $99.
From there I would add a set of decent screw drivers, especially in ph 0, 1 and 2. This thread has recommended WERA, but I have also had good luck with Wiha. Seems like you can usually find a set of laser tip drivers for under $40, or less on-sale.
After that, I would probably just blow $100 at harbor freight on a random selection of pliers and clamps. I feel like having a variety of styles and sizes is more important for starting a kit than having nice pliers.
An important tool that you didn't mention but I would strongly recommend is a multimeter. Doesn't have to be fancy, a cheap $10 unit will still be invaluable for troubleshooting.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Same from the one store I went to. Said they had 2 in stock but couldn't find them anywhere, even in the rafters.
I ended up going to my local HD on the commute back from work and managed to find the last 6Ah battery they had in the store. Thank goodness for the very helpful employee who dug around 3 or 4 boxes in the rafters before finding one in a box of Makita accessories. I thanked him profusely for his help, paid for the battery + set combo and promptly did a 180º and returned the battery.

Of course I had to go to an entirely different HD later the same day to get some plywood that was out of stock in my local HD and lo and behold I spot 5 of the little 6Ah fuckers on display. At a store I had previously called to ask about them and was told in gravely tones that they were out of stock everywhere and never to be replenished ever again.

Anyway, thanks everyone for helping me get a drill & driver set for $50! :toot:

Krakkles posted:

I ran into the same thing, at the fourth store I asked if they'd sell me the two pack of XC 3.0 batteries for the difference. $117 and change for the two tools and four goddamn batteries.
That's a pretty good deal! I had actually tried doing something similar but the customer service rep who I spoke to basically said "it's an online deal, you're SOL."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

monsterzero posted:

Costco has a $99 tool kit that will get you a solid assortment of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2in sockets, and box wrenches. It was just on sale for $69, it's a steal at that and a solid value at $99.
From there I would add a set of decent screw drivers, especially in ph 0, 1 and 2. This thread has recommended WERA, but I have also had good luck with Wiha. Seems like you can usually find a set of laser tip drivers for under $40, or less on-sale.
After that, I would probably just blow $100 at harbor freight on a random selection of pliers and clamps. I feel like having a variety of styles and sizes is more important for starting a kit than having nice pliers.
An important tool that you didn't mention but I would strongly recommend is a multimeter. Doesn't have to be fancy, a cheap $10 unit will still be invaluable for troubleshooting.

Any recs besides Costco? Or are harbor freights toolsets passable? I don't have a Costco close by any more.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
HF sockets and ratchets are good enough, especially for the price.

as i've said before, prioritize 3/8 and 1/2 stuff over 1/4.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
The tools labeled Pittsburgh "Pro" are actually pretty decent. I have some of their Pro locking pliers and love them. I also have some of their non-pro ones and they're hot garbage. Their pro impact sockets are a nice value when they're on sale.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

That Works posted:

Any recs besides Costco? Or are harbor freights toolsets passable? I don't have a Costco close by any more.

Harbor Freight breaker bars and torque wrenches are great in my experience. Their extendable ratchets are a favorite of mine too, like this combo 3/8" and 1/4" extender is my go to for every job: https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-x-38-in-dual-drive-extendable-ratchet-62312.html

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Harbor Freight breaker bars and torque wrenches are great in my experience. Their extendable ratchets are a favorite of mine too, like this combo 3/8" and 1/4" extender is my go to for every job: https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-x-38-in-dual-drive-extendable-ratchet-62312.html

counterpoint - I broke the extendable ratchet head in half after about a month of casual use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Mine's been doing great for over 5 years of use. Don't use it like a breaker bar--it can give you a little extra oomph but it's not made for more than a handful of foot lbs.