Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NASCAR: because indoor bike sprint racing is our spirit animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dale is just hot fire on Twitter these days and I can't get enough

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/876649041945350144

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I said it when she left for XFS/Cup. I'll say it now.

Money wise? Good choice to go to Cup. Ego wise? A mistake. She moved all the way to do England to race Formula Fords (against Jenson Button),. She ran Barber Dodge in 02 (at a race weekend I was at to boot), did Atlantics in 03, 04 and went to the IRL.

People that do those career pats are generally successful in one of three types of series. Formula 1, IMSA/WEC or IndyCar. Doing cup involves years of similar sort of commitment. Had she wanted to run road courses and plate tracks? She could have likely done well with sticking to that. But man...it wasn't gonna work.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FuzzySkinner posted:

I said it when she left for XFS/Cup. I'll say it now.

Money wise? Good choice to go to Cup. Ego wise? A mistake. She moved all the way to do England to race Formula Fords (against Jenson Button),. She ran Barber Dodge in 02 (at a race weekend I was at to boot), did Atlantics in 03, 04 and went to the IRL.

People that do those career pats are generally successful in one of three types of series. Formula 1, IMSA/WEC or IndyCar. Doing cup involves years of similar sort of commitment. Had she wanted to run road courses and plate tracks? She could have likely done well with sticking to that. But man...it wasn't gonna work.

I can't blame Danica for selling out and jumping to NASCAR. The money was there waiting for her, so she took it. I consider it selling out more than getting a deserved/earned pay grade bump by graduating to Cup, because as we've been seeing she's been unable to maintain the level of success there she's long been selling herself as capable of achieving. She got paid, and good for her. But because of her get-rich-quick career path choice, her future prospects of being successful no longer reside in racing.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I can tell you exactly what Danica does next: endorsements with fitness companies and yoga stuff

Bingo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

I can't blame Danica for selling out and jumping to NASCAR. The money was there waiting for her, so she took it. I consider it selling out more than getting a deserved/earned pay grade bump by graduating to Cup, because as we've been seeing she's been unable to maintain the level of success there she's long been selling herself as capable of achieving. She got paid, and good for her. But because of her get-rich-quick career path choice, her future prospects of being successful no longer reside in racing.

Bingo.

There's this weird thing with Cup and a lot of those teams during the 2000's. They really would be quick to offer people with next to no experience in Cup while not attempting to develop their own talent.

i think they were envious about the attention that the IRL was getting from Danica. The intelligent thing for them to have done was to have done their due diligence, find someone similar to Danica in the short track, legends, or K and N scene...then tried to throw money at her to move her up the ranks as the "next big thing'.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Long term driver development isn't cheap and sponsors want results now. Oh yeah, you let Cup drivers devour your development series.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm starting to think Chace Elliot will never get a win.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Long term driver development isn't cheap and sponsors want results now. Oh yeah, you let Cup drivers devour your development series.

Which speaks to a broader problem that cup has and has had since the mid-2000's.

busch whackers have always existed. However, I think when NASCAR moved Busch and Trucks away from venues that don't actually host Cup events? That caused this sort of problem we're discussing. A guy like Kyle Busch for example I think would be a lot less inclined to travel all the way to Heartland Park Topeka and thus you'd have a lot less instances of those sorts of things happening.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Which speaks to a broader problem that cup has and has had since the mid-2000's.

busch whackers have always existed. However, I think when NASCAR moved Busch and Trucks away from venues that don't actually host Cup events? That caused this sort of problem we're discussing. A guy like Kyle Busch for example I think would be a lot less inclined to travel all the way to Heartland Park Topeka and thus you'd have a lot less instances of those sorts of things happening.

Getting away from smaller tracks also eliminates the chances lower-level drivers may have of running a local Truck/NXS event, giving them needed experience and exposure. If NASCAR was not stupid, it could have used marquee Whelen/K&N events as full race weekends with Trucks or Xfinity cars. Instead of Cup regulars filling out the field, you'd have up and comers from the regional series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My take on Buschwhacking is this (largely similar to prior stances, changed a little):

1. Make drivers continue to commit to a series for points.
2. Make drivers commit to one race per race weekend. Exception: Eldora, and lower series drivers are able to do the former Grand Slam races (Daytona 500, Spring Talladega, Coke 600, Fall Darlington) if they chose.
3. Allow drivers to pick two races from a different series on a track that their home series does NOT race on, provided they don't have a prior commitment to another race that weekend (and the race is not exempt). For example, a Cup or Truck driver can go do RA if they choose, seeing that there's no date for that track and no opposing race that weekend.
4. Allow drivers from a lower series to get waivers to do two races a week if they need to fill in for a driver in the Cup series for one of the non-exempt races. This does not count towards their limit of two crossover races.
5. Qualifying priority is to home series drivers. For example, if there are more cars than the field can handle, all home series drivers are given priority over visiting drivers, even if the visiting driver out qualifies a home driver. If there is room, the visiting driver is put in the grid according to their time.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Norns posted:

I'm starting to think Chace Elliot will never get a win.

One can hope.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Make the top 3 series spec, and introduce promotion/relegation on a week by week basis.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Getting away from smaller tracks also eliminates the chances lower-level drivers may have of running a local Truck/NXS event, giving them needed experience and exposure. If NASCAR was not stupid, it could have used marquee Whelen/K&N events as full race weekends with Trucks or Xfinity cars. Instead of Cup regulars filling out the field, you'd have up and comers from the regional series.

As a fan? I just have little interest in watching the current XFS package save for maybe checking in our boy SRA once in a while.

Which does suck because it's not that I'm adverse to watching stock car racing. When NBCSN for example airs a random rear end K&N race from Thompson? That's exciting to me.

iospace posted:

My take on Buschwhacking is this (largely similar to prior stances, changed a little):

1. Make drivers continue to commit to a series for points.
2. Make drivers commit to one race per race weekend. Exception: Eldora, and lower series drivers are able to do the former Grand Slam races (Daytona 500, Spring Talladega, Coke 600, Fall Darlington) if they chose.
3. Allow drivers to pick two races from a different series on a track that their home series does NOT race on, provided they don't have a prior commitment to another race that weekend (and the race is not exempt). For example, a Cup or Truck driver can go do RA if they choose, seeing that there's no date for that track and no opposing race that weekend.
4. Allow drivers from a lower series to get waivers to do two races a week if they need to fill in for a driver in the Cup series for one of the non-exempt races. This does not count towards their limit of two crossover races.
5. Qualifying priority is to home series drivers. For example, if there are more cars than the field can handle, all home series drivers are given priority over visiting drivers, even if the visiting driver out qualifies a home driver. If there is room, the visiting driver is put in the grid according to their time.

I'd add a small exception for Speedweeks, but only for Speedweeks. BUT, I'd also tinker with the idea of using the Road Course and Back Stretch (used by modifieds, k&N) as a replacement for those events that just use the normal course.

Aside from that? Agreed.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Truex/status/876800330733957120

So, if Ryan Truex can get some merch, why can't SRA get us a freaking hat?

(This is rhetorical, p sure he's too cool to hang out with us anymore)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Good shirt

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

As a fan? I just have little interest in watching the current XFS package save for maybe checking in our boy SRA once in a while.

Which does suck because it's not that I'm adverse to watching stock car racing. When NBCSN for example airs a random rear end K&N race from Thompson? That's exciting to me.

I'm the same way. If I'm watching racing on a given weekend, it's multiple series at multiple racetracks. NASCAR doesn't give me much of a reason to watch an NXS race on Saturday if it's at the same track as Cup on a Sunday, because to me and a lot of people there isn't a fundamental difference between the races other than one of them is shorter and a portion of the field is different. Yawn.

NASCAR would do well to mix up weekends a little bit. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with having all three national series at the same track on the same weekend, but tracks where two dates are too many or one date isn't enough could have events where the marquee race is Xfinity but with an action-packed Saturday short track schedule featuring the Trucks, ARCA, and/or and regional NASCAR series. Make the tickets cheaper and fill the stands with people so they can start getting more familiar with the lower-series drivers.

Then again, NASCAR was kind of already doing this at Indianapolis with the NXS/Truck race at IRP the night before the Brickyard. Until they stopped doing it, because NASCAR.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

WindyMan posted:

Then again, NASCAR was kind of already doing this at Indianapolis with the NXS/Truck race at IRP the night before the Brickyard. Until they stopped doing it, because NASCAR.

um excuse me if they kept going to IRP then how could they have made history by bringing the xfinity series to the brickyard????? ?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem with NXS compared to other feeder series is that they're very close to the same cars used in the top series. Both Indy Lights and F2 are significantly less powerful than the main level series. Even the top level in IMSA's lower series is GT4, which is still a non-trivial difference to GT3.

Also, for the record, unrestricted HP:
Indy Lights: 450 HP (+50 push to pass), Indy: ~750HP (+60 push to pass)
F2: 620 HP, F1: 800HP+ between all propulsion units (no firm figure given)
NXS: ~675 HP. MENCS: 725HP.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Elitist Bitch posted:

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Truex/status/876800330733957120

So, if Ryan Truex can get some merch, why can't SRA get us a freaking hat?

(This is rhetorical, p sure he's too cool to hang out with us anymore)

That is a great shirt.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

I'm the same way. If I'm watching racing on a given weekend, it's multiple series at multiple racetracks. NASCAR doesn't give me much of a reason to watch an NXS race on Saturday if it's at the same track as Cup on a Sunday, because to me and a lot of people there isn't a fundamental difference between the races other than one of them is shorter and a portion of the field is different. Yawn.

NASCAR would do well to mix up weekends a little bit. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with having all three national series at the same track on the same weekend, but tracks where two dates are too many or one date isn't enough could have events where the marquee race is Xfinity but with an action-packed Saturday short track schedule featuring the Trucks, ARCA, and/or and regional NASCAR series. Make the tickets cheaper and fill the stands with people so they can start getting more familiar with the lower-series drivers.

http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/features/running-on-empty-the-brickyard-400-problems/

quote:

If the addition of the Grand-Am race is underwhelming, Brickyard Experiment No. 2 seems downright risky. For 30 years, even before the Brickyard 400 came along, Indianapolis Raceway Park (now Lucas Oil Raceway) in Brownsburg has hosted NASCAR’s Nationwide feeder series in front of packed houses, making the Kroger 200, as it was known, one of the most successful short-track runs in all of stock-car racing. In fact, the Raceway had a three-night winner: a USAC Silver Crown race on Thursday, NASCAR’s truck series on Friday, and the Nationwide show on Saturday.

“It was something the fans loved,” says Raceway GM Wes Collier. “Short-track racing under the lights, in a small, intimate venue.” But when word came down from NASCAR that the Nationwide race would move to IMS, officials at the Raceway, which had only an annual contract, didn’t have the leverage to do anything about it. Considering how ho-hum most Cup races have been at IMS, by stealing the Raceway’s Saturday-night thunder, Brickyard planners not only risk spoiling the Nationwide race (in which Danica Patrick does plan to drive), but are doing it at the expense of another series-venue combo that was doing just fine.

It's not even that I can blame IMS for taking the XFS race. Like the XFS race is garbage at that track, but it brings Hulman Co. money by just having it there via the TV contracts.

But that sums up what you were bringing up earlier.

Same could be said about XFS/Trucks abandoning Milwaukee in favor venues like Chicagoland. Stock Cars indeed have a culture here in the midwest. Gotta go to those places where the names were made.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's not even that I can blame IMS for taking the XFS race. Like the XFS race is garbage at that track, but it brings Hulman Co. money by just having it there via the TV contracts.

But that sums up what you were bringing up earlier.

Same could be said about XFS/Trucks abandoning Milwaukee in favor venues like Chicagoland. Stock Cars indeed have a culture here in the midwest. Gotta go to those places where the names were made.

So what we're agreeing on here is that by NASCAR selling out for a get-rich-quick corporate philosophy, its future prospects of being successful are dwindling.

NASCAR is Danica. Danica is NASCAR.

We've solved it.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Kyle Larson is too boring for whothefuckever replaced Jeff Gluck at USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dway/407610001/

I remember when Jimmie Johnson was the one catching grief for being "too boring". And boring driver personalities are far down on a very long list of problems the sport has.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 19, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elitist Bitch posted:

Kyle Larson is too boring for whothefuckever replaced Jeff Gluck at USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dway/407610001/

I remember when Jimmie Johnson was the one catching grief for being "too boring". And boring driver personalities are far down on a very long list of problems the sport has.

I think boring drivers are near the top of the list of NASCAR problems. Kyle B moves the needle, Kyle L doesnt.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

iospace posted:

MENCS: 725HP.

Cup cars are over 900hp IIRC

e- whoops forgot the tapered spacer thing, you're right, though I'd bet it's 725hp with a huge wink

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 19, 2017

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

SpitztheGreat posted:

After Pocono and Michigan, I have mixed feelings on the impact of stage racing on the flow of the race. I've been pleasantly surprised by the stages, they have helped more than they've hurt I feel. But at tracks like Pocono and Michigan, it feels like they interrupt the strategy without the benefit of making for better racing. Michigan is what it is, it's a big fast race track where the cars get spread-out. If you aren't ok with that I understand, and there have been plenty of bad races there (years ago, many of us here thought it was in contention for the worst race of the year). But it did have a distinct flow and strategy, and I'm not sure the stages helped. Now we have boring racing, for shorter periods, without the upside of any strategy. Yes, in the end there was some concern about fuel, but I'm not sure it wasn't a little less interesting because of the stages.

I see what you're saying, but one thing that's good about the segments (other than the 600) is that the third stage is much longer than each of the first two, and it seems like it's always long enough for at least one more round of pit stops. To me, it almost feels like a self-contained race separate from the first two short stages - even at these last two races. It seemed to work well at Pocono, allowing us to see Blaney go for the win. It would have been interesting at Michigan, too, at least with the fuel mileage - NASCAR just decided to screw it up with that debris caution.

That said, I am concerned about how the stages will play out at Sears Point and Watkins Glen, where the lap counts are much smaller. Road courses since 1996 have been all about running the race backwards, so the segments kind of screw up that spontaneity. I guess the final segment can be planned out that way, but it seems like you have much fewer strategies to choose from.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can I randomly say gently caress kyle busch?

because gently caress kyle busch.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

you can't, actually. you're banned now sorry

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

daslog posted:

I think boring drivers are near the top of the list of NASCAR problems. Kyle B moves the needle, Kyle L doesnt.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I'd a whole lot rather have nice-but-boring drivers than assholes (Seriously, Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson are boring af). Secondly, the boring racing at boring tracks that people can't be bothered to go to or watch on TV is orders of magnitude worse for the sport than boring drivers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kyle Busch is a piece of poo poo driver and person.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

daslog posted:

Boring drivers is not the problem, boring racing is the problem and always has been. If my options were boring drivers and fun racing; or fun drivers and boring racing, it's an easy choice.

As NASCAR racing continued to be more and more mediocre, instead of fixing the racing they went with "have at it boys" to let the drivers' personalities come through. They did, but at the cost of making the racing more stupid dangerous.

Just keep the focus on the racing. The drivers will sort out personalities on their own after that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

I'm just mad online cuz this guy who's a fan kinda said he's "happy" that Jr. is retiring, bitches about his dad was an rear end in a top hat, then defends Kyle Busch after every lovely action.

It's wearing thin on me. Especially when every Cup fan I know is (at worst) apathetic about Jr. and generally can't stand Kyle Busch. But honestly I'm trying to figure out any sort of driver I was ever "happy" to see retire. Like I've been critical of Smoke for example, BUT...He was a significant part of the sport, and a good driver. I wasn't dancing a jig when he retired. I was actually a mix of glad he could do short track stuff, and kinda found it cool I got to see him do stuff like running the double.

WindyMan posted:

Boring drivers is not the problem, boring racing is the problem and always has been. If my options were boring drivers and fun racing; or fun drivers and boring racing, it's an easy choice.

As NASCAR racing continued to be more and more mediocre, instead of fixing the racing they went with "have at it boys" to let the drivers' personalities come through. They did, but at the cost of making the racing more stupid dangerous.

Just keep the focus on the racing. The drivers will sort out personalities on their own after that.

This is a good post. Kinda nailed it.

people will eventually find their random heroes to idolize regardless of background. i saw a bunch of :911: types cheering on guys like Helio and Kanaan at Indy. i could see happening with the current crop of guys in Cup if they could figure out a way to make the racing better.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

brexton

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

To be fair, I am THRILLED Jr is retiring, because the concussion was clearly Not Good and I want to hear Jr's takes until he's 110 years old and dies only because he decides to.

And sure, Dale Sr was an rear end in a top hat. Kyle is not an rear end in a top hat. Kyle is a dangerous crybaby little poo poo and I would again assert that the sport would be better and safer without him. gently caress Kyle. Pulverize his brain and inject the neurons into Jr or something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

To be fair, I am THRILLED Jr is retiring, because the concussion was clearly Not Good and I want to hear Jr's takes until he's 110 years old and dies only because he decides to.

And sure, Dale Sr was an rear end in a top hat. Kyle is not an rear end in a top hat. Kyle is a dangerous crybaby little poo poo and I would again assert that the sport would be better and safer without him. gently caress Kyle. Pulverize his brain and inject the neurons into Jr or something.

Well yeah, I'm happy in the manner I want to see him live a happy life. I think that's perfectly reasonable. I was "happy" that Dario walked away from Indycar because it's better that he's alive. It broke my heart that guy almost died and I was angry that indy ran that poo poo rear end parking lot.

This guy was implying he hated Dale and was glad he was hanging it up. (saying his favorite moment of his career was when Jr. retired). Oh and his logic was flawless too. ("CUZ HE TOOK KYLE'S SEAT AWAY FROM HIM AND HE ONLY GOT INTO NASCAR CUZ OF NEPOTISM"). Like...anyone that actually bothered to do some form of research outside of their own rear end knows that Jr. had to work his way up.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Jr somehow took Kyle's seat from him (what?), then that is an accomplishment worth more than any championship.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I'm glad Jr's retiring because he'll be free to speak his mind about the sport and that's going to be something to see. Wish Smoke would do that, but he's a team owner.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elitist Bitch posted:

I'm glad Jr's retiring because he'll be free to speak his mind about the sport and that's going to be something to see. Wish Smoke would do that, but he's a team owner.

I don't think that's going to stop Stewart all that much, tbf

There's word circling around that Dale's looking at broadcasting roles, which I fear would curb his ability to dunk on NASCAR quite a bit :(

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

If Jr somehow took Kyle's seat from him (what?), then that is an accomplishment worth more than any championship.

I don't know. I like the guy. He seems like the ultimate goon in the manner he watches old racing tapes and plays NASCAR Racing 2003 on a regular basis.

Elitist Bitch posted:

Smoke did it on twitter earlier this week! Even threw shade at Danica!

https://twitter.com/TonyStewart/status/876579368029573120

https://twitter.com/TonyStewart/status/876606657610080256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I have to wonder if JRM will ever move to Cup. The team could have a bit of a cult following if Junyer took the 88 number with him and ran Byron in a few races a year, even if it were just as a 5th HMS car, before moving it up eventually full-time under his own roof.

If the 88 were to become the 25 again for next season, that might be the first sign.

• Locked thread