Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

https://open.spotify.com/track/7sL8hp9JVdWrvYiJJptZ7p

original song, "they are here finale". (the part of the dance starts at 2 minutes in)

Oh yeah I was going to mention, the beginning of that when Media and Easter are talking sounded like Phillip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
thanks!

double nine posted:

https://open.spotify.com/track/7sL8hp9JVdWrvYiJJptZ7p

original song, "they are here finale". (the part of the dance starts at 2 minutes in)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I noticed Ian McShane just completely stopped attempting his American accent during the big name reveal.

I liked that, Kristin Chenowith is just so :3: it's amazing.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wish they hadn't tried to make Wednesday's name reveal into some huge deal. Gee, I wasn't sure which one eyed war god who talks to ravens he was already, so surprising. I now also wish that Ian McShane played Odin on the MCU as well. And appeared in everything I watch.

i am confident half of the thread still doesn't know.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wish they hadn't tried to make Wednesday's name reveal into some huge deal. Gee, I wasn't sure which one eyed war god who talks to ravens he was already, so surprising. I now also wish that Ian McShane played Odin on the MCU as well. And appeared in everything I watch.

My wife threw popcorn at the screen when Shadow was like 'wuh you're a god????' - how is it just now you're figuring this out, Shadow!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I feel like there's power in a god doing a big dramatic reveal of their name and identity rather than just letting it go as an obvious unspoken fact

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
that Odin poo poo was lit,

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Normal Adult Human posted:

i am confident half of the thread still doesn't know.

They should be ashamed for not being experts in Norse mythology
:goonsay:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

After the thunderbolt, it's easy to see being confused if he was either Zeus or Odin, so the clarity helped. All a part of the gods giving back.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I really enjoyed the Book poo poo reveal. I thought it was appropriately badass.

The new Gods hosed up by giving a war God a war.

Still not sure why Shadow is so important, but I'm going to avoid reading the book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now let's argue for a year about whether he said "ODIN" or "RAIDEN"

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

precision posted:

what, he didn't say that at all,

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

That's why Shadow could make snow, he's SUB-ZERO!!!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
And the two ravens, Noobin and Saibot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JawnV6 posted:

I'm dyin' over here, help me Jesus Prime

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Axel Serenity posted:

Fun fact: I worked on the WB lot when Pushing Daisies was filming. Kristin would ride around on a bike almost as tall as she was (all 5-ish feet of her) with a handlebar basket for her dog. She's about as adorable and sweet as you can imagine. Cannot confirm nor deny status as an actual fairy
:3:

JawnV6 posted:

my horse is the Goro

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Mr. World's dying words were "I acquit this war"

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I love how Easter mentions the Jesus with a dinosaur :kimchi:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do feel like there was a missed opportunity to have Media school Jesus on why he's so popular.

Or maybe they're saving it for season 2 so they can have a New God Jesus who is specifically and only around because of Christian TV channels. Maybe Jeremy Davies can fight him. I would like to see that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I kind of don't get why different denominations of Christuanity make different Jesuses, but different forms of worshipping Odin are just him having many names...

Like, the old gods talk about worship taking different forms, and people worshipping them without knowing it, and that seems to work okayish, meanwhile, people who worship Jesus specifically and intentionally by name create different Jesuses based on their perception.

Wouldn't franchising Odin into a missile satalite just... Make a different war god?

Why isn't there Viking Odin and Nazi Odin and whatever?

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 20, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

precision posted:

I do feel like there was a missed opportunity to have Media school Jesus on why he's so popular.

Or maybe they're saving it for season 2 so they can have a New God Jesus who is specifically and only around because of Christian TV channels. Maybe Jeremy Davies can fight him. I would like to see that.

Jesus Prime would have to pay him ~seed money~ before he'd agree to the fight, and even then he'd allow only one punch unless Prime set up a payment plan.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snak posted:

I kind of don't get why different denominations of Christuanity make different Jesuses, but different forms of worshipping Odin are just him having many names...

Like, the old gods talk about worship taking different forms, and people worshipping them without knowing it, and that seems to work okayish, meanwhile, people who worship Jesus specifically and intentionally by name create different Jesuses based on their perception.

Wouldn't franchising Odin into a missile satalite just... Make a different war god?

I don't know if it's actually an important distinction but Wednesday dismisses Jesus as not really a god. Or that might just be Wednesday being a crotchety old man.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Snak posted:

It kinda makes sense if Odin's mythology itself allows for, or even encourages, his many guises.

With Jesus, everyone's saying MINE'S THE ONLY CORRECT JESUS AND EVERY OTHER INTERPRETATION IS WRONG.

In Odin's case, what few believers he has don't quibble back and forth about which version is wrong. Heck, he doesn't have enough believers to quibble about that at all. Or maybe there actually is a Stormfront Odin, but we just haven't met him yet!

What would be goddamn wonderful is if Media takes on the shape of Anthony Hopkins Odin to talk to him at one point. :xd:

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Snak posted:

Eh. The "personal Jesus" thing is kind of a feature in a lot of Protestantism. People believe in their own personal savior Jesus, and rarely think of some other style ofJesus as an equally valid alternative face of god. AR-15 blonde Jesus church lady would probably NOT be cool with saying her Sunday prayers in front of a painting of Black Jesus. On the other hand, Odin having lots of names and personas is an important part of his myth.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess it's true that the Abrahamic religions are particularly atheistic, while many older cults are not.

That makes sense I guess.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snak posted:

Or for that matter why there's only one Media or Technology instead of Radio, Television, Magazines, PCs, Macs, Automobiles, etc. I'm sure some of it is simplifying things for TV runtime but still, the rules seem a little arbitrary even by these ephemeral metaphysical standards.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

He's way too competent to be Raiden

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

McSpanky posted:

Or for that matter why there's only one Media or Technology instead of Radio, Television, Magazines, PCs, Macs, Automobiles, etc. I'm sure some of it is simplifying things for TV runtime but still, the rules seem a little arbitrary even by these ephemeral metaphysical standards.

People often talk about "the media." When someone complains about the leftist media or the rightwing media they rarely specify TV or radio. When people talk about Jesus, they mean their specific Jesus.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, it just occurred to me that that was the Virgin Mary suckling Baby Jesus, because there are people who are so into the infallible 'innocence' of Christ that they worship the Baby Jesus only.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
There is at least one alternative Odin out there; Media mentions that St. Nick took her up on her offer. Remember, Santa Claus is another name for Odin.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

There is at least one alternative Odin out there; Media mentions that St. Nick took her up on her offer. Remember, Santa Claus is another name for Odin.

Explained entertainingly:

http://infolocata.com/mirovia/irrefutable-proof-that-santa-is-odin/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, it just occurred to me that that was the Virgin Mary suckling Baby Jesus, because there are people who are so into the infallible 'innocence' of Christ that they worship the Baby Jesus only.

Look, I like the baby version the best, do you hear me?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Actually yes, it's very common among hardcore Catholics (and must catholics), to worship baby Jesus and/or the Virgin Mary (or any of her many versions). I think both figures are very up in importance along with the Christian God himself and grown up Jesus.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I wonder if the Holy Spirit and or the Father is gonna do some real poo poo in season 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yes, many people (some Catholic, some Gnostic, some Santerian) who worship Mary herself. People certainly pray to her.

All those "Hail Mary"s add up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The God of Abraham is not in any jeopardy from this war and has no reason to have a stake in it. While it makes sense for Jesus to be fractured, there is no reason that He would be. Considering that all Jewish, Christian, and Muslim people feed his strength, he's probably way above any of it.

Which I know is probably thematically against the tone if this show, but it seems like it would be the case by the logic we've been shown.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I like the fact that in American Gods Santa is basically a loving scab

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The part of God will be played by a Terry Gilliam cartoon

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cojawfee posted:

Look, I like the baby version the best, do you hear me?

Missed the opportunity of having a Jesus in a tuxedo shirt. Like he's here for business but also knows how to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Missed the opportunity of having a Jesus in a tuxedo shirt. Like he's here for business but also knows how to have fun.

Mullet Jesus?