Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
What was the time for the kickoff run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Currently deciding if I should make the agonizing decision to try and suffer through fork tower to get a second aegis shield, or just deal with crystal shields. Team is Dragoon/Berserker/berserker/dancer.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Thanks to pure chaos I'm at the fire ship with all Zerks. Is my best course of action to power level my guys?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

rundxdi posted:

Yeah, you were right. I didn't realize quite how much turn disparity I would have between haste and slow.

Yeah, they create a significant turn disparity. Haste halves your time between turns, and Slow doubles it, so you basically take ~4 actions to one of a slowed victim while hasted (assuming similar speed scores).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I hope the toxxx for Basch is still alive.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Pure Chaos berserker risk class results: Freelancer/BER/SER/KER

One kitten herder and :black101: brigade. This will be... Interesting?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Archenteron posted:

Pure Chaos berserker risk class results: Freelancer/BER/SER/KER

One kitten herder and :black101: brigade. This will be... Interesting?

Make sure you read Sulla's Freelancer SSCC because it has a TON of interesting weapon/armor tricks to learn.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Journey of the Quadzerker: Part I

Our journey begins...

I should have named him BASH instead.

Easy bosses fall...

The source of my power...

Things get dicey...

Studied too much at the library...

Next time: The Sandword Grind

(PS. I'm trying for the Brave Blade challenge too, although Meatfort will probably break me.)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If I have a Knight who can either Dual Wield or Two-Hand, and a maxed out Brave Blade, would Two-Handing the Brave Blade be the better way to go unless the enemy is weak to Holy (then Dual Wield Brave Blade and Excalibur)? My Attack is 300 with a Two-Handed Brave Blade, but only 260 with a Brave+Excalibur Dual.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I have a Knight who can either Dual Wield or Two-Hand, and a maxed out Brave Blade, would Two-Handing the Brave Blade be the better way to go unless the enemy is weak to Holy (then Dual Wield Brave Blade and Excalibur)? My Attack is 300 with a Two-Handed Brave Blade, but only 260 with a Brave+Excalibur Dual.

Two-Handed is a horrible liar who lies - it doubles your attack multiplier, not your attack power. This usually accomplishes the same thing, but on high-defense targets it's worse.

That said, yeah, I'd use Two-Handed in most situations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bregor posted:

(PS. I'm trying for the Brave Blade challenge too, although Meatfort will probably break me.)
What are you going to put on your fourth zerk? I'm thinking Assassin Dagger / Rune Axe / Thor's Hammer, but Chicken Knife is the perfect fourth (well, first, because it's the best, but you know what I mean) weapon.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
A thought just occurred to me.

How are the mime/zerkerx3 parties going to unlock mime?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arrrthritis posted:

A thought just occurred to me.

Mods/cheats, or if they're staunchly against that, some absurd kinda luck with mage mashers on the wizard of rug.

Barring that, the job fair to remove the offending class.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

As someone who had Mime/Zerk+3 I just Job Faired out the last one out.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Got another Basch victory for the pile.

It was Red Mage and Tri-Zerkers for most of the game. #Fifthjob replaced a Berserker with a Geomancer, which sadly was an improvement.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
a butt is victorious

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/877002133358489601

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Is there a nice beastmaster boss guide? I never had the job before and just wiped to Byblos and have a hunch that there's probably something I can do with beastmaster to make things easier. (My jobs are monk/berserker/beastmaster)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Catch a page 32, when you release them, they cast banish on Byblos for a 50/50 chance at instantly killing him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dr. Dos posted:

Is there a nice beastmaster boss guide? I never had the job before and just wiped to Byblos and have a hunch that there's probably something I can do with beastmaster to make things easier. (My jobs are monk/berserker/beastmaster)

You're in luck!

But yeah, either get a Page 32 for the style kill, or just bash his face in with your Whip, since Byblos can be paralyzed and isn't heavy.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Started my first FJF and run of FFV tonight! I peeked ahead at all of my jobs and found that I have White Mage/ Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Chemist.

If you want to jump along with me, you can follow me at https://www.twitch.tv/bigboswell
If there's interest, I can post here to let you know when I go live. My first stream I had some tech difficulties, so I beat the wind crytal without a mic, but I think I have that fixed now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arrrthritis posted:

I don't know if this would work, but what I'd try would be to go into the battle toaded or minied, and unequipped.

I don't think attacks that deal no damage trigger counter attacks. Depending on how Gogo is scripted, that may be enough.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know if this would work, but what I'd try would be to go into the battle toaded or minied, and unequipped.

I don't think attacks that deal no damage trigger counter attacks. Depending on how Gogo is scripted, that may be enough.

Nah, unfortunately they do. He will react to your zero-damage punches with his 9999 damage Strong Fights and laugh hysterically.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
FF5: mostly just guys in wolf hats, stabbing dogs in a forest

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, unfortunately they do. He will react to your zero-damage punches with his 9999 damage Strong Fights and laugh hysterically.

Get to him with as many blind axe and zombies zerks as possible?

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Well this years run I've so far got Monk, Summoner, and BeastMaster... so far so good!

Only problem I'm having is hardware related, the shoulder buttons on my SP have decided to stop responding making changing equipment, pulling up the map, and running drat near impossible, any suggestions on fixing them?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
So Popular run so far has me with Red Mage/Samurai/Knight/???. Will I be destined for the Bravest Blade yet again?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Is there some way to deal with Omega's Quake spell without float status? It's a one hit kill at any level, and I heavily doubt casting float on the party without a time mage is kosher with the fiesta rules.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Is there some way to deal with Omega's Quake spell without float status? It's a one hit kill at any level, and I heavily doubt casting float on the party without a time mage is kosher with the fiesta rules.

Confuse a Poison Eagle (they're the rare spawn in that room with the long-rear end staircase, so use the quicksave glitch assuming GBA), then feed it an Ether, it'll cast Float on your party.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Another Basch for the pile. Ninja/Geo/Dancer/Thief was a very knifey party. I don't think I can pull off a triple crown with this party though. Also very low HP, my dancer was not able to survive a single Almagest. Finished at level 43!

Rynyin fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 20, 2017

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

NuminaXLT posted:

Well this years run I've so far got Monk, Summoner, and BeastMaster... so far so good!

Only problem I'm having is hardware related, the shoulder buttons on my SP have decided to stop responding making changing equipment, pulling up the map, and running drat near impossible, any suggestions on fixing them?

Sometimes dust and sweat can build up I'm shoulder buttons, happened on my 3DS, the solution is a dry toothbrush and scrub out the buildup. If that's not it, I don't know what might be wrong.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Confuse a Poison Eagle (they're the rare spawn in that room with the long-rear end staircase, so use the quicksave glitch assuming GBA), then feed it an Ether, it'll cast Float on your party.

Nevermind, I managed to do it by just massively overleveling. :toot:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
on my first fiesta and I am presently stonewalled with Monk at Garula, it is not a great fight

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

But just think, that will be the last time you will have exclusively monks.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

UberJew posted:

on my first fiesta and I am presently stonewalled with Monk at Garula, it is not a great fight

The strategy for Garula with a physical party like that is to only have one character in the front row attacking while the other three stay in the back row either defending or healing with potions as necessary.

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

Mountaineer posted:

The strategy for Garula with a physical party like that is to only have one character in the front row attacking while the other three stay in the back row either defending or healing with potions as necessary.

But with Monks he can just put Chakra on everyone and let Garula kill himself on his party. Innate counter is a hell of a drug.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

http://imgur.com/a/9CX3Q

Am I brave enough for you yet? :black101:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nethertribes posted:

But with Monks he can just put Chakra on everyone and let Garula kill himself on his party. Innate counter is a hell of a drug.

I didn't have chakra so i went the other route and just used about 45 potions

e: gfdi ofc i get berserker on my first fiesta

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Omegachat: Beyond stop shenanigans with bard or GBA beastmaster, there are a couple of paths that people haven't mentioned. A couple classes stand out as useful/unbelievably broken:

Black mage: Omega's counters aren't triggered by reflected damage, so the safest way to deal damage to him is via reflected Bolt3's. Note that the net damage is even better if you can manage reflect on the whole party with reflect. Red mages in theory can also do this reflect strat, but it will be less effective with Bolt2 access only. Note you still need to able to sustain his regular AI script, which is no joke.

Time mage: Everyone knows that omega is weak to stop, but his sky-high magic evasion means this isn't viable via the Time magic spell. However, time mage can kill literally everything using a venom rod + the quick spell (probably patched out outside of SFC). Just start a damage over time on the enemy and then activate quick but don't input any other commands. Walk away from the game and your enemy will be dead in however long it takes.

Chemist: Chemist can do literally anything you want. I'll just mention that Kiss of Blessing is only imperfectly patched in GBA, it still pierces berserk resistance. (What the gba fix did was prevent this berserked state from bypassing the trigger to start the NED fight.)

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

FreeKillB posted:

Time mage: Everyone knows that omega is weak to stop, but his sky-high magic evasion means this isn't viable via the Time magic spell. However, time mage can kill literally everything using a venom rod + the quick spell (probably patched out outside of SFC). Just start a damage over time on the enemy and then activate quick but don't input any other commands. Walk away from the game and your enemy will be dead in however long it takes.

You don't even need to do the HP leak before casting Quick. Also it still works in the GBA version. It's how I killed Omega in my first run this year. Didn't feel like dealing with his magic defense bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

UberJew posted:

I didn't have chakra so i went the other route and just used about 45 potions

e: gfdi ofc i get berserker on my first fiesta

One berserker isn't a problem, and can in fact be amazing if you're running an emulator since it means you can farm a lot more efficiently with the fast forward function, and equip hammers and axes for your other jobs. For any of the precision bosses, (Sandworm, Wendigo, the trench triplets,) you can also just always kill your beserker off before the boss fight and do it with your three other characters. For any non-gimmick fight, bezerker dps is no joke, and they do their one job, killing things and giving no fucks, extremely well.

FreeKillB posted:

Omegachat: Beyond stop shenanigans with bard or GBA beastmaster, there are a couple of paths that people haven't mentioned. A couple classes stand out as useful/unbelievably broken:

In addition, if you are cursed with a beserker and want to kill omega, take their weapon off and give them a wall ring, then run around in the last tileset until you find a necromancer. Kill its friends, keep healing and revivifying your characters until he zombifies your beserker. Your beserker will then become an undying meat shield who will absorb any attack it's hit with, and with a little rng massaging it can add up. I wouldn't have been able to beat omega without it.

Bonus points if you have equip: staff available. Then you can give your zerkerzombie a healing staff and they'll actually patch your party up a little.

• Locked thread