Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miller would be great, losing his poo poo every time he sees a black reporter. Imagine how much uglier he'll get as the job ages him and takes the last of his thinning, greasy hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
They won't appoint a new press sec and will use it as an excuse not to hold press conferences.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Whoever replaces Spicey is going to be just as awful since the job essentially entails doing the impossible on a daily basis. They probably won't even last 5 months.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Beyond the fact the polls actually were mostly correct at least on a national level, but were slightly off on a state level (Remember Clinton's loss was by incredibly slim margins in the states that ended up mattering), we also have to remember that different polls mean different things. An election poll is predicting future behavior. And that's not going to be an exact science because opinions change and some people just don't vote. Polls regarding approval ratings are a completely different story because they're not predicting future behavior. They are literally just asking people what they currently believe.

The thing that failed is deeper than polls.

This is one of the odd things about the Rasmussen approval polls - they poll "Likely Voters" whereas traditionally all adults are randomly polled instead.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I wonder how much of Spider remaining in the admin is because of Preibus

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They won't appoint a new press sec and will use it as an excuse not to hold press conferences.

Until sweeps.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Leave the memories alone :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lol yeah

I mean, not really lol, but, I don't have an appropriate reaction to anything anymore

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Which one do you think Trump will pick???

or

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

maybe. no audio or video allowed at today's presser.

pray for mueller to hurry this poo poo up.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Which one do you think Trump will pick???

or

Well I think the Wall Street guy is much more likely to give him a blowjob, so I'll put my money on that one.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Just posting to say I appreciate your twitter compilations. Having read through this thread page by page and trying to keep up to date on the latest bullshit, it's still easy to miss something and your twitter bombs act as a safety net for me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Whoever replaces Spicey is going to be just as awful since the job essentially entails doing the impossible on a daily basis. They probably won't even last 5 months.

It sucks because they could eventually hire someone that is actually good at bullshitting and redirecting instead of a mumbley laughingstock.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MickeyFinn posted:

No, the Office of the Secretary is reviewing all funding in the department and putting as much of it on hold as he can while that "review" happens.

I know I'm too slow for this thread because I don't spend all day at work on here. But Rick Perry is bad for the DoE. He hasn't proven to be as bad for the DoE as, say Pruitt is for EPA, but just because he isn't swinging from the rafters telling his own department to go gently caress itself, doesn't mean he isn't doing harm.

This isn't an anecdote, it is in emails from the DoE that I have posted. The labs are less affected by this (right now) because they're funded through continuing resolution and they have DoE officers on site to keep the mother ship updated. poo poo will start getting real if/when there is a new budget.

Edit: Also, program managers are planning for the advertised 30% cut. Just because the president's budget isn't binding doesn't mean it is toothless.

It helps to understand that Rick Perry has no real convictions besides lining his pockets. He ran Texas government as a graft and personal favors machine for pretty much his entire governorship. He made sure to install buddies at every level of government and used them to direct grants, contracts, and tax exemptions to donors and other people who might be convinced to become donors in the future. The main reason he never got nailed for it was that his administration was meticulous about doing everything via in person meetings (even though those are insanely inconvenient in Texas) and never ever writing anything down.

He's probably planning to do similar at the DoE just because that's all he knows. I'm sure that after the "review" is complete that spending to his buddies will be found to be useful and other expenses will be cut to the bone.

He just seems less dangerous than the tea party idiots because he knows that there needs to be a government for you to have government corruption.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
My one hope is once this is all over, Spicer can do an interview were he lets the facade down and can be all, "That was messed up! He told me to lie! Straight to the press! What was I supposed to do? How embarrassing. Oh man, that was a crazy time."

JasonV fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 20, 2017

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

JasonV posted:

My one hope is once this is all over, Spicer can do an interview were he lets the facade down and can be all, "That was messed up! He told me to lie! Straight to the press! Wait.. Did I really say that? How embarrassing. Oh man, that was a crazy time."

:laffo: If you think Trump didn't make every last one of his staff members sign an NDA.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Z. Autobahn posted:

Let's not revise history and say that it was a bunch of dummies who thought that, and not, you know, pretty much everyone in this forum. The problem in 2016 wasn't that a bunch of dumb people pretended 30% meant 0%, it's that a whole bunch of smart people did too.

Basically everybody in the whole world who wasn't named Nate Silver

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I merely hope that the next administration takes a moment out of each day to publicly shame and repudiate this admin and the GOP as a whole.

Like, VERY public and daily reminders of Republicans awfulness

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spicer will be found dead tomorrow in his old easter bunny suit. "Why don't they love me like they used to?," his suicide note will read. "Everyone wanted a hug from Happy Sean, who loved all good girls and boys. Sean just wants a hug. Why won't anyone hug Happy Sean?"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
oh hey

(loud voice)

RICK PERRY IS A PIECE OF poo poo AND BAD FOR THE DOE

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/876983160143323137

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

pepito sanchez posted:

I might be. It's just seemed surreal since Trump won the presidency. Something failed, whether it was polls, or something as big as the electoral college. It's making me go nuts, and I'm not even in USA.

What failed was the two party system. The two parties put up two essentially unacceptable candidates, and chaos resulted.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It sucks because they could eventually hire someone that is actually good at bullshitting and redirecting instead of a mumbley laughingstock.

But that's the thing. My brother knew Sean Spicer personally and kept saying 'Holy poo poo, he isn't that guy, is he?' whenever he saw him on TV. Spicer was supposed to be the guy good at bullshitting and a reasonably respected Republican partisan rear end in a top hat.

The job reduced him to this. It'll do the same to anyone else.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Speaking of former Trumpers...

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/876984676300279810

This should go really well for him.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CannonFodder posted:

5 bucks says CT starts to toll all tractor-trailers driving through the state, much like Rhode Island.

There was a proposal in the House to start installing tolls a month or two ago, but it was shelved indefinitely since it wouldn't do anything to help with the current budget shortfall and also because Republicans are only interested in service cuts. The transportation fund has, like, a year or two of solvency left so something's going to have to be done.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Turned on CNN, turns out their running ads of Scalise getting pulled out of an ambulance with lines like "The unhinged left is applauding the shooting of Republicans." Yeah, that shooting is definitely going to turn that election R and embolden them to pass the AHCA.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Edited for the sake of goonkind

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

What's sad is that, potential for fissile material falling off a cart somewhere aside, building alternative energy sources for the ME is a good idea. But of course who knows if it was on the up and up. My heart tells me gently caress no.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Night10194 posted:

But that's the thing. My brother knew Sean Spicer personally and kept saying 'Holy poo poo, he isn't that guy, is he?' whenever he saw him on TV. Spicer was supposed to be the guy good at bullshitting and a reasonably respected Republican partisan rear end in a top hat.

The job reduced him to this. It'll do the same to anyone else.

He was clearly super bad at his job. It's probably not possible for anyone to be good at the job with it's impossible requirements but eventually they will hire an entertainer who is a lot better at adlibbing and redirecting. Someone with charm that can work a crowd instead of a guy that looks like a slug and stammers out that the holocaust is fake accidently and instead makes some light joke that doesn't answer the question but gets a good laugh or whatever.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Paracaidas posted:

I'm so amped for the race to turn cooperating witness between him and manafort.

or race to escape the US, that's the other game manafort might play.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He was clearly super bad at his job. It's probably not possible for anyone to be good at the job with it's impossible requirements but eventually they will hire an entertainer who is a lot better at adlibbing and redirecting. Someone with charm that can work a crowd instead of a guy that looks like a slug and stammers out that the holocaust is fake accidently and instead makes some light joke that doesn't answer the question but gets a good laugh or whatever.

But that's the thing. You're up against the wall and you're not performing for the press corps, you're performing for an insecure, whiney brat who is tivoing your every appearance and throwing his poo poo at you every time his approval takes a hit, and who absolutely micromanages and demands you be seen visibly pushing back on things you know you should stay silent on.

I don't think there's room to be an entertainer there.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I will never forget Spicers first conference, openly yelling at the press that Trumps inaugural crowd was the largest ever. What a day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Before I laugh what would Press Secretary->Communications Director be considered? How important is the Communications Director?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Malloy is all but handing this state to the GOP on a silver platter, but the real problem with CT is that we're in the endgame of decades of business friendly government policy. It turns out that kowtowing to business interests only works for so long and sooner or later you need those businesses to actually pay taxes rather than just rely on neverending growth. I look forward to becoming Kansas 2.0: Northeast Edition.

There are two enormous issues that Malloy can't control and a GOP moron at the helm will only make worse: 1) a pension funding gap that started in 1939 2) the economy being driven by large cities and not suburbs. CT is screwed simply because people and businesses aren't fleeing to the suburbs in huge numbers anymore. GE moved to Fairfield when that was the cool thing to do. Now they're moving to Boston. That's where the talent is. CT only has so many Stamfords and Danburys. The state is also small. If we enact any policy that makes a business even slightly uncomfortable, they can just drive fifteen minutes in any direction and be over the border and still have their same market. Not to mention New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island have been circling like vultures.

We'd better start tolling trucks on 95 and 84. I don't want to hear about how awful it is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Night10194 posted:

But that's the thing. You're up against the wall and you're not performing for the press corps, you're performing for an insecure, whiney brat who is tivoing your every appearance and throwing his poo poo at you every time his approval takes a hit, and who absolutely micromanages and demands you be seen visibly pushing back on things you know you should stay silent on.

I don't think there's room to be an entertainer there.

I imagine it's possible to get somewhere where the scandal is that they ignored a direct question and told a joke instead (but it was a pretty funny joke) instead of having a guy where the scandal is stuff like that he said the holocaust isn't real by accident.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

How important is the Communications Director?

In a Trump administration? :lol:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Covok posted:

Turned on CNN, turns out their running ads of Scalise getting pulled out of an ambulance with lines like "The unhinged left is applauding the shooting of Republicans." Yeah, that shooting is definitely going to turn that election R and embolden them to pass the AHCA.

"an ad existing means that it will be effective"

good thing all of Hillary's ads really stuck to trump

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OctaMurk posted:

Perry is better for the DOE and America than Tillerson. He apparently has been a pretty hands-off administrator and has focused more on working on behalf of his subordinates and taking their advice seriously, rather than micromanaging them. Honestly, it's probably better to have someone like him in charge of the DOE to lobby for its importance and navigate Congress rather than some physicist.

http://www.salon.com/2017/06/18/rick-perrys-plan-to-kill-funding-for-wind-and-solar-power/

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/GovPenceIN/status/7720153887

https://twitter.com/RepTomPrice/status/7764456390

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

God I hope they didn't pick someone competent that can actually not answer questions and be good at the administration's propaganda.

Actually, gently caress, I hope they don't not pick anyone and just go radio silent. That seems to be what they're headed towards.

• Locked thread