Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A happy F1 video from before the days of British fraudulence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6dJViad8g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtxrp52PeDE

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Absolutely thought this said "flatulence."

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0-ECT4k9FQ

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt6cyph5ZQE

One day you're admiring past McLaren's from outside nad collecting them the next you're running the whole drat shitpile on fire.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why can't mclaren make their own engines?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JFairfax posted:

why can't mclaren make their own engines?

Because the other manufacturers subsidize vast engine costs through marketing budgets, which McLaren does not have.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We've had a good video page so here's an unexpected one I found with Their Jacques doing a fairly good song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDz8DLMWOM

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Because the other manufacturers subsidize vast engine costs through marketing budgets, which McLaren does not have.

yeah, but I mean it's just an engine, how expensive can it be.

I mean they've been making cars for like decades now, surely they can just hire a few cosworth people or something and make an engine.

gotta be better than what honda have been making

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Like I can't stress enough that even the most rudimentary of google searches will show you that McLaren bought the rights to an old racing engine and then handed it over to Ricardo to make it more durable, powerful and emissions compliant. McLaren has an entity possesses zero engine designing capabilities.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
wasn't there a rumor that they were looking into taking over the BMW engine facilities when they pulled out or was I imagining that

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

McLaren themselves have stated they're at least a decade away from even considering entering as an Engine constructor.

From the sounds of things, McLaren road cars aren't even the same company but rather were set up by some of the share-holders to leverage the name and make the investment financially sound.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

I mean they've been making cars for like decades now, surely they can just hire a few cosworth people or something and make an engine.

The engine in their roadcars is based off a Nissan Group C design from the late 1980s. Also Ricardo produces it. It is extraordinarily expensive to produce these power units.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always knew there was a reason I liked Formula Vee

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

Literally just ordered one of those dinky 1/4 inch hex cordless impacts specifically to make changing kart wheels easier, this whole thing has gotten out of control.

loving lol if you've done it any other way

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

JFairfax posted:

I can't remember the exact number but Merc's hybrid engine development/research and production for the current formula (ie turbo hybrid era) cost multiple hundreds of millions. Some of that is offset by sales to other teams but not by much. I vaguely recall it coming up to the 1 bill mark, but I'm not prepared to back that number because I can't dig up a source as I'm at work.

Holy fuckburgers. I daydreamed about a Vee car in one of those "if I win lotto" situations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

loving lol if you've done it any other way

Last year I was using a racket and a wobble extension lmbo.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Beg ferrari for 10k of the money they get for being ferrari and fix your life up, my dude.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My dad has like two cabinets in his garage with complete tool sets of old MAC and Snap-on poo poo in addition to whatever the gently caress he has at his work. It's not worth me seriously investing in tools since all that poo poo is going to end up being mine at some point anyways. All the tools for the kart have been bought cause it was on sale, including the impact.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

wicka posted:

Absolutely thought this said "flatulence."

well, cans of Heinz beans are a staple food of the Brits.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm really excited for Stroll to crash into a castle.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

keevo posted:

I'm really excited for Stroll to crash into a picture of a castle on a tarpaulin draped over the front of a building site.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did you guys know Buemi had a son last year and named him Jules?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JUst found out that next year there will be a formula E race here in Chile. Awesome!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Did you guys know Buemi had a son last year and named him Jules?

That's very touching thank you for sharing

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

At this early juncture I'm not prepared to completely rule out Stroll somehow crashing into the actual castle.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

They weren't seriously going to go to Indy and lol if you think so. There's even less of a chance of that now that they wouldn't be able to build their own car. LMP1 maybe but again, I think it's largely a bluff, no other series is going to subsidize Ferrari being there.

Ferrari like being in F1 almost as much as they like being the "special" team in F1. They can't make a real change to another series. Although I would LOVE to see a bright red car with the prancing horse placed right next to a Cheez-its logo with equal prominence lapping around Charlotte or Talladega or some NASCAR track.

Perfect.

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000

CratSock posted:

McLaren Ferrari
McLaren Alfa Romeo
McLaren Porsche
McLaren Audi
McLaren Aston Martin
McLaren Chevrolet
McLaren Cosworth
McLaren Ford
McLaren Hyundai
McLaren Daihatsu
McLaren Dongfeng

Porsche to attend the next engine meeting

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

They are a part of VAG, who was at the last meeting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think it's possible, but unlikely, that Porsche gets involved in F1. I say possible because they already have a head start on the tech with their LMP1 program. I say unlikely because VAG has pulled out of "custom" oil-based motorsport (read: non-GT cars) entirely minus said LMP1 program. Lambo was confirmed as a potential third engine for Indy, but they declined because of Dieselgate.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

I think it's possible, but unlikely, that Porsche gets involved in F1. I say possible because they already have a head start on the tech with their LMP1 program. I say unlikely because VAG has pulled out of "custom" oil-based motorsport (read: non-GT cars) entirely minus said LMP1 program. Lambo was confirmed as a potential third engine for Indy, but they declined because of Dieselgate.

Indy is a whole magnitude below F1 in terms of marketing value though, so because Lambo didn't go to Indy wouldn't really be in the conversation of "would Porsche go to F1".
Also of note would be that Porsche's LMP1 team would be the sacrificial lamb that brought Porsche or Audi into F1 (spoilers: I'd bet on it being branded Audi).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schlesische posted:

Indy is a whole magnitude below F1 in terms of marketing value though, so because Lambo didn't go to Indy wouldn't really be in the conversation of "would Porsche go to F1".
Also of note would be that Porsche's LMP1 team would be the sacrificial lamb that brought Porsche or Audi into F1 (spoilers: I'd bet on it being branded Audi).

Yeah, I can see Audi being brought into F1 over Porsche, though tangentially, I'm surprised that it was Lambo being talked about for Indy and not VW or Audi. Dunno what VAG would accomplish by having a brand inaccessible to most fans in a series that's all about accessibility, but that's a discussion for another place.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Am I insane or did I read somewhere that Porsche was considering getting out of Le Mans? I mean maybe not now but before the race there were more than a few articles about it.

That would make me think that the VAG group would be interested in F1 for sure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There were rumors, and there's articles saying Porsche is pleased with the new LMP1 regs going into effect.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Am I insane or did I read somewhere that Porsche was considering getting out of Le Mans? I mean maybe not now but before the race there were more than a few articles about it.

That would make me think that the VAG group would be interested in F1 for sure.

Yeah, F1 is actually cheaper than LMP1 and provides far more prestige.

iospace posted:

There were rumors, and there's articles saying Porsche is pleased with the new LMP1 regs going into effect.

I wasn't aware there were articles talking about Porsche's reaction, only people saying Porsche were clearly the target of the new regs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schlesische posted:

Yeah, F1 is actually cheaper than LMP1 and provides far more prestige.

I wasn't aware there were articles talking about Porsche's reaction, only people saying Porsche were clearly the target of the new regs.

Regarding Porsche's reaction: http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/141488-porsche-s-seidl-praises-2020-lmp1-regulations

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tbh I would rather see Honda make their poo poo work than have Porsche join and leave again in like six years. They don't strike me as a group that's in it for the long haul.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They have spent 3 years being a dumpster fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

They have spent 3 years being a dumpster fire.

Porsche bailed after just one year as a dumpster fire.

• Locked thread