Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Mongoloid is an offensive term, it's even listed under that on dictionary.com

Yeah, and I meant it offensively. Not as in you're an Asian, oh no, don't misinterpret me there. But rather, you're a mongoloid idiot.

Also, even though it was completely unintended, using the literal genealogical definition makes complete sense in that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

soy posted:

I have played a lot of hours (around level 30 now) and I have never once had anything useful said on VOIP. Sometimes commander asks for a thing here or there but if you've played a lot it's really obvious where marks need to be and you don't need to talk about this.

I'm hoping to get my friends to play so we can coordinate but that'd be discord...

I just drown out the peoples dumbass voices with my vietnam playlist so it's just kinda background noise anyways.

That sucks. This game really shines when the team is communicating properly. I'm guessing you play on US servers?

People don't talk to much on the euro servers, but when they do its mostly tactical. I like playing with a commander that informs us about his intentions and players who call out enemy movements or locations etc.

As a commander, I appreciate SLs who listen to me or at least give me some feedback on what they need and when they need it. I usually ask politely for marks and suggest a course of action for certain squads every now and then.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 20, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

soy posted:

Ah yes, custom maps. The classic "bunch of random arms and dogs and you only get a shotgun" and "a bunker in a totally flat open field". Truly classics for the ages.

The only 60hz server I know of just loves these maps!

They made some TE versions of Anlo and Songbe. They are kinda screwy with 'enemy territory' way close to cap points.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

If someone is saying stuff in in-game voice chat that you don't like then just start ranting about how gay you are and how you've hosed the dude's dad in the anus and drank all of his cum. It's what I do and it works pretty well.
I did that in RO and someone named something like Waffen88 got really mad and it's worth it.

I was also playing with the username Gaythirst Meatcop.

(But disable voice chat.)

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Either you guys are joining servers labeled (KKK) or you're all full of poo poo in how often you're seeing racism and how rare team coordination occurs. In 95 hours, it hasn't been nearly as bad as this thread and the BF1 thread have sworn up and down is happening. Jesus christ, either gently caress with the racists until they get pissed and record the result, vote kick them or mute your poo poo for the 1 in 30 rounds that poo poo comes up. And be drat happy that this isn't RO2 where all of the long term Wehraboos hang out.

On a non-holyshitthisthreadisadumpsterfire note, they're also fixing US Shotguns in the next patch so you don't have to aim everything, but the Stakeout weird to get proper range on them. Pointman should get even better.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm sorry you guys are cool with racism.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Maybe it's just the early-game rush but hearing people call dudes zipperheads was very shocking and everyone just throws slurs around and it bums me out hardcore.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Nebiros posted:

Either you guys are joining servers labeled (KKK) or you're all full of poo poo in how often you're seeing racism and how rare team coordination occurs.

Every match I've played has had both insane amounts of lovely Asian accents and also the team coordinating while doing lovely Asian accents.

I just tune that poo poo out and don't mention on open chat that I'm Asian-American.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
welcome to online 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Nebiros posted:

Either you guys are joining servers labeled (KKK) or you're all full of poo poo in how often you're seeing racism and how rare team coordination occurs.

Gonna have to agree. The thread is totally blowing this all out of proportion based on my experience in the beta and in public.

voice chat is chill and most of the time there's some level of coordination going on over it. LOL at the dudes who can't handle it while they virtually murder people.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's hit or miss, sometimes I get a server and no one is really talking. Sometimes you hop on and a group of like 3 guys are screaming racial slurs over top of each other. Also at the end of most matches someone is saying "GI go home" in Engrish.

This is nothing knew and especially not for Red Orchestra/Rising Storm games. But that doesn't mean it's cool, the older I get the less tolerance I have for people acting like poo poo heels in FPS games and just accepting that casual racism is fine. Yeah when I was in my teens playing CS I guess it didn't bother me, but I feel like at some point it would be nice if the gaming community moved further away from that poo poo.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Just bought this. Do we have a designated goon group/discord or should I dive into pubby hell?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I play Oceania servers and probably 90% of the time there's useful voice comms going on. Fo a bunch of australians theres suprisingly little racism, you just gota put up with their awful whiny voices.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Best username: Ho Chi Minh Will Win

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I play Oceania servers and probably 90% of the time there's useful voice comms going on. Fo a bunch of australians theres suprisingly little racism, you just gota put up with their awful whiny voices.
Australians were my favorite group to play with in Project Reality.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
How do you get a game like this and not just turn off voice chat like as the first thing you do?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

How do you get a game like this and not just turn off voice chat like as the first thing you do?

I naively thought people/commanders might actually say useful stuff. I gave up on that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Chatter pretty much always makes games more fun, you just mute/whatever individual shitheads.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Chatter pretty much always makes games more fun, you just mute/whatever individual shitheads.

Problem is the UI for muting people is really bad in this game, you have to remember who was talking and then going intoa sub menu and scroll through an un-ordered name list to mute them. It's more hassle than just muting everyone by default.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Its always the same in these games its some hick or some shrieking kid or some aspie german or scandinavian always on the voice chat.

Just turn it off, it should default to off to save people the trouble.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Dear thread,

Today commander Duck King called me a sh*it head.

This hurt my feelings.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The racism bums me out. Especially since whenever I call it out, some asshat directs slurs at my in-game name of Abu Hajaar. The worst though is after you kick the dude throwing slurs around and someone else starts white-knighting that racist shitheel.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Pesticide20 posted:

The racism bums me out. Especially since whenever I call it out, some asshat directs slurs at my in-game name of Abu Hajaar. The worst though is after you kick the dude throwing slurs around and someone else starts white-knighting that racist shitheel.

Maybe calling it out in such a way is ineffective.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

Problem is the UI for muting people is really bad in this game, you have to remember who was talking and then going intoa sub menu and scroll through an un-ordered name list to mute them. It's more hassle than just muting everyone by default.

yeah i wouldn't mind it so much if the ui for muting people wasn't nonfunctional so i could cut out all the fools while waiting for the rare useful person to say something

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Whenever people are racist I'm just gonna start insulting white people like a blaxploitation hero. I've had enough of honky-tonk crackers ruining games for me.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

soy posted:

Ah yes, custom maps. The classic "bunch of random arms and dogs and you only get a shotgun" and "a bunker in a totally flat open field". Truly classics for the ages.

The only 60hz server I know of just loves these maps!

I remember that server, that bunker one looks like the example map the devs put out for mappers to learn how poo poo works

they put a bunch on the aussienz server and the basic results were

-der iwanberg: nostalgia trip for about 5 minutes until you realise how average it is with automatic weapons. Also no claymores for the us team to sweep the open areas with :(

-suong mu: pretty drat good, made by a veteran mapper so there's some experience there. foggy so it's possible for both sides to get the drop on each other, but the us gets 2 loaches to provide intel on tunnels and people's locations which makes it much fairer for US.

-te version of songbe: good chopper LZs are behind the VN spawn, so you can be confident there's about 5 people shooting you at all times. spawn protection zones are awful and it's way too easy to run into them

-krong: the mapper wants to have you fly in defenders via chopper and it's awful. not even a setup point like what darkest hour did to give the defenders time to set up.

there was also some massive jungle map that played like a conquest map, from what I found (flying one of four hueys) the map suffered immensely from a lack of LZs (you basically landed on an open clearing or not at all, even most of the caps were covered in trees) and being this dull green colour to the point of parodying gears of war's colour palette.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

"Uhh Red Crown to Slawdog, we've got hostile infantry on the southern facing of the ridge there, can you confirm?"

"That's a big negative Red Crown, I'm currently RTB after being called a friend of the family."

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Nebiros posted:

Either you guys are joining servers labeled (KKK) or you're all full of poo poo in how often you're seeing racism and how rare team coordination occurs. In 95 hours, it hasn't been nearly as bad as this thread and the BF1 thread have sworn up and down is happening.

Is it an American thing?

I play on European servers and apart from the first 2 days its mostly been fine to. On the servers I play on a commander and squad leaders doing useful full team coordination over comms is a fairly regular thing too :shrug:

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Symetrique posted:

Dear thread,

Today commander Duck King called me a sh*it head.

This hurt my feelings.

It's true.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm on a server right now where literally every single person who has used voice chat has said racist poo poo lol

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Mega Comrade posted:

Is it an American thing?

I play on European servers and apart from the first 2 days its mostly been fine to. On the servers I play on a commander and squad leaders doing useful full team coordination over comms is a fairly regular thing too :shrug:

It's not, it's Goons wildly over exaggerating how common it is. The worst we run into normally are people making fun of the over the top accent the Vietnamese side gets. Which is the same poo poo that used to fly around in RS1 with the overly religious Marine with an exaggerated southern accent. I've run into 3 actual racists in game in 95 hours and actively loving with them enhanced the game, not ruined it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Now there's a dude with a southern accent yelling about how America won the Vietnam war.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

turn off the TV posted:

I'm on a server right now where literally every single person who has used voice chat has said racist poo poo lol

Does this include you

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Glenn Quebec posted:

Does this include you

I don't even know what the voice chat key is.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
40th reminder in the thread: turn off voice chat.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

turn off the TV posted:

Now there's a dude with a southern accent yelling about how America won the Vietnam war.

You're now actively ruining this thread.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

turn off the TV posted:

Now there's a dude with a southern accent yelling about <HUGE END-GAME SPOILERS>

Spoiler that poo poo, I haven't finished the game yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nebiros posted:

It's not, it's Goons wildly over exaggerating how common it is. The worst we run into normally are people making fun of the over the top accent the Vietnamese side gets. Which is the same poo poo that used to fly around in RS1 with the overly religious Marine with an exaggerated southern accent. I've run into 3 actual racists in game in 95 hours and actively loving with them enhanced the game, not ruined it.

It could be goons wildly over exaggerating, or maybe it's that other people could have different experiences than you. I'm glad that you haven't run into many racists, but almost every time I play this game I run into people dropping any and all racial slurs and doing the classic ching chong bit.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You're now actively ruining this thread.

:thunk:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
What can we do here about the racists besides tell you to turn off voice chat.

Btw have you tried turning off voice chat.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Why would you read this thread without muting "turn off the TV"? It makes talking about the game better.

Played for three hours last night. Saw "GI go home" typed at the end of rounds, but didn't hear a single slur over voice. Plenty of coordination. Lots of fun, but I could do without An Loa. Seems like there's way too much unused space on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I have this game, played about a half hour of it and I just can't seem to get into it. Idk, it doesn't give me the same feeling BF: vietnam or BFBC2: vietnam did

• Locked thread