Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

does minchi ever stop being an unbelievable bitch or does ohana at least tell her to gently caress off

Yes to both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

does minchi ever stop being an unbelievable bitch or does ohana at least tell her to gently caress off
Both. Ohana rules.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, weird observation:

Are Ryuuji (ToraDora!)...

... Hachiman (My Teenage Romantic Comedy SNAFU)...

... and Kodaka (I don't have many friends)...

... really that similar? A friend (incidentally, one of the same guys who I watched the Eva marathon with) mentioned that they're basically the same character. I wanted to tell him "It's 3 AM, dude" before anything, but given that this loving heat has barely left me sleep, I decided that it would be a good idea to just humor him. 2 minutes later, he hung up and I was left having to boil some coffee.

So that was my early Monday morning.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Wark Say posted:

So, weird observation:

... really that similar?

I've only seen Toradora and SNAFU of those three, but I wouldn't agree they (Ryuji and Hachiman) are similar characters at all. I mean, they both have problems with social interaction and being (wilfully or not) oblivious, but that's more or less where the similarities end. For one thing, Ryuji's very much an optimist and Hachiman's very much the opposite. Ryuji's always trying to relate to others and understand them, whereas it takes Hachiman a long time to get around to attempting it. They might have broadly similar character arcs relating to attempting to get to know others, but I wouldn't necessarily say there's much else to compare.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, they all have some small similarities, but it barely scratches the surface on all three characters. I really liked Toradora and SNAFU, though, while the same cannot be honestly said of Haganai. There are two things I like about Haganai:

• Yozora's voice actress work
  • Rika.

Rika is that show's sole saving grace. I was mostly wishing that my buddy would call me at a more appropriate time because holy poo poo, 3 AM is not a time of day I enjoy being awake for.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

It's going to get pretty confusing watching 26 episodes and a movie simultaneously.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Wark Say posted:

So, weird observation:

... really that similar? A friend (incidentally, one of the same guys who I watched the Eva marathon with) mentioned that they're basically the same character. I wanted to tell him "It's 3 AM, dude" before anything, but given that this loving heat has barely left me sleep, I decided that it would be a good idea to just humor him. 2 minutes later, he hung up and I was left having to boil some coffee.

So that was my early Monday morning.

theyre the same character like ami, yukino, and yozora are the same char

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

5 episodes into Sound Of The Sky, and the show hasn't really misstepped yet. This might be on track to be the best Slice Of Life I've seen since K-On - not to compare the two too closely. The character dynamics, worldbuilding, atmopshere, and art design are all A+++++. Episode's 5 cold open on the simulated tank battle and the reveal of No-Man's Land at the end were both downright flawless.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

theyre the same character like ami, yukino, and yozora are the same char
Yeah, I don't think they're the same chars (even if some characters do share similarities across all 3 works). I was just asking if they seemed that similar, since according to my friend, "They're basically interchangeable". Which is bullshit of the highest order.
  • Hachiman has a ton of issues that relate to trying to connect with people, and at first his behavior make really hard to cheer for the guy. (If I don't misremember, the 1st season thread had the OP call him "A lovely, misogynistic D&D goon who constantly gets banned"). His development (especially in the 2nd season) is one of the series' strongest assets.
  • Ryuuji, as mentioned by goon smenj, is a very optimistic and friendly guy, so when he's dismissed early on as a delinquent based on his rough looks (to this day I still find that his "evil smiles" have a certain dorky charm to them), it wasn't all that difficult to cheer for the lad.
  • Kodaka seemingly has a lot of the same issues that plague Ryuuji and Hachiman, even if he's portrayed as far more conventionally attractive and slightly better adjusted than either of them. Even if he's a douchelord.

Seriously, that face is priceless :allears:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ryuuji is precious, Hachiman is a turd, and I have no idea who that other guy is

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

its all the same poo poo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Everything Burrito posted:

Ryuuji is precious, Hachiman is a turd, and I have no idea who that other guy is
1. Agree
2. Agree in that he starts as a turd but over time becomes less turd-like and more precious.
3. Third guy is full-on turd. He likes turding it up. For a nickel.

Sorry Corals posted:

its all the same poo poo
But enough about your Crackpot Crabcat conspiracies.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I feel like this thread is trying to describe the difference between vanilla and french vanilla

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

do not disparage my son ryuji

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

More like Re-poo-ji.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

an actual dog posted:

I feel like this thread is trying to describe the difference between vanilla and french vanilla

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alice to Zouroku is pretty nice. Alice attempting to reason out complex philosophical questions through the vocabulary and experiences of a minor is really interesting and almost Descartesian. My thinking is that Alice has a very strong moral compass but she doesn't understand why that is, and want's to figure out a justification as to why her compass is correct. Basically it's not enough to just trust her instincts, she wants a reason to back them up.

:thinking:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People trying to sell me on RWBY.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

hit americanime RBST

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
real big stinky turd

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

People trying to sell me on RWBY.

Lol

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
smdh if you can't tell the difference between vanilla and french vanilla

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
The EVA marathon is beginning, but we won't be watching the whole thin guy because he's got work tommorow, which is a relief.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

hostess with the Moltres posted:

The EVA marathon is beginning, but we won't be watching the whole thin guyu because he's got work tommorow, which is a relief.

weak

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/TSUMUJIKAZEeee/status/876750982331326464

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Battler posted:

smdh if you can't tell the difference between vanilla and french vanilla

It's the same except they're both wearing striped shirts and berets.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Scratch not doing the whole thing. We're in for the long haul

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I've just got to the episode that introduces Asuka and she is, Good.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The more I look at this image, the more it delivers.

"Featuring"

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Also hostess and I don't deliberately time our posts so as to be maximally confusing, but we probably should.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dzhay posted:

Also hostess and I don't deliberately time our posts so as to be maximally confusing, but we probably should.

Obviously you should use this as your av instead:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dzhay posted:

"Featuring"
special guest star french canadian vanilla

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dzhay posted:

"Featuring"

QUALITY
CHEKD TM

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Asuka is in a fatsuit

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Knights of Sidonia is a trip. Tsumugi seems nice :3:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is Crayon Shin-chan Gaiden funny? The concept sounds like it could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

• Locked thread