Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dale's been pretty explicit on Twitter and such that he wants JRM to remain an Xfinity team, because he wants to support younger drivers or somesuch. Not a 100% hit rate when you have Sadler I guess, but I don't think he wants to do Cup at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FuzzySkinner posted:

people will eventually find their random heroes to idolize regardless of background. i saw a bunch of :911: types cheering on guys like Helio and Kanaan at Indy. i could see happening with the current crop of guys in Cup if they could figure out a way to make the racing better.

As we've been seeing in Indycar, when the racing is good a driver's personality will shine through in the way he/she drives. Scott Dixon is the most boring person in the world, but his racing career is so incredible that you're only left to respect the guy and also hate it every time he comes in second place from out of nowhere, again. Jimmy Johnson is the NASCAR equivalent to Dixon. We all hate him, but only because he's a loving good racer and not a bad person.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Hmmm, this Kyle Larson kid is checkers or wreckers but he doesn't talk much so I guess he's boring???

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Hmmm, this Kyle Larson kid is checkers or wreckers but he doesn't talk much so I guess he's boring???

He's also a diversity hire! :eng101:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

#88- Brad Keselowski?
#5 or 77- Matt Kenseth?
#5 or 88- Carl Edwards?
#12- Ryan Blaney?
#21- Paul Menard?

From the same article:

quote:

Same goes for Patrick, who said last week said she wants to continue racing. She must really love it, then: After a hard hit Sunday at Michigan, it's starting to seem less and less worth the effort for Patrick.

If Danica stays in Cup, she's either obsessed with the idea she's a top-tier driver who just needs to break out or is just insane. Or both.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/19683162/silly-season-heating-up

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I mean, she could also just want to keep racing because she wants to keep racing, like any other driver who runs consistently in the back of the pack.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

Remember when he bounced off the goddam wall literally every other lap at Eldora? He should have told knock knock jokes or something, instead.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

danica also likes making millions and millions of dollars probably

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Harveygod posted:

Remember when he bounced off the goddam wall literally every other lap at Eldora? He should have told knock knock jokes or something, instead.

And still almost won.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Elitist Bitch posted:

He's also a diversity hire! :eng101:

having seen him at Williams Grove in a sprint car I can safely state that the dude would've made it regardless

it's just a shame that the special needs hire, John Wes Townley, will never get the same opportunity

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

As we've been seeing in Indycar, when the racing is good a driver's personality will shine through in the way he/she drives. Scott Dixon is the most boring person in the world, but his racing career is so incredible that you're only left to respect the guy and also hate it every time he comes in second place from out of nowhere, again. Jimmy Johnson is the NASCAR equivalent to Dixon. We all hate him, but only because he's a loving good racer and not a bad person.

I'll sound like a broken record here, but I don't think NASCAR understands that sort of thing really can't happen the way they're set up.

When someone wins at Kansas/Chicagoland/Texas/Kentucky/Las Vegas...? It's not a big deal. There's not a lot of racing culture at those tracks, and the lore at them is very weak. I can't tell you a single significant moment that happened at any of those (In NASCAR. IRL is a different story.).

Yet these are the venues that NASCAR has decided to invest all their efforts in trying to turn into big events. To significant parts of the country that are apathetic at best in those regions.

Now Sears Points, Talladega, Bristol, Charlotte, Daytona, Darlington, The Glen...hell even IMS. All of those have moments, and memories ingrained into my memory from watching cup race those back in the day. But it feels like NASCAR has severly downgraded their importance in light of the post-Chase, post-CORT era.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I promise you I didn't write this article

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

loving lol:
"Back in the day I spent more meaningless November weekends in Atlanta than a Falcons fan."
:drat:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Elitist Bitch posted:

loving lol:
"Back in the day I spent more meaningless November weekends in Atlanta than a Falcons fan."
:drat:

I really hate that one. A race when the points battle has been decided isn't meaningless, it's meaningful because it's a goddamn motor race and you want to see who wins. A points race is numbers on a spreadsheet. Somehow all those boring points battles in the 90s didn't stop NASCAR from getting popular.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the ugly truth is a whole mess of deaths made NASCAR popular

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Losing Davey and Alan was arguably damaging, not helpful. It's actually amazing that NASCAR didn't get hurt over losing two young generational talents in half a year.

The truth is that Jeff Gordon made NASCAR popular. Not deaths.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If drivers getting killed made a sport more popular open wheel would be king in America.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Losing Davey and Alan was arguably damaging, not helpful. It's actually amazing that NASCAR didn't get hurt over losing two young generational talents in half a year.

The truth is that Jeff Gordon made NASCAR popular. Not deaths.

Gordon was a boon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, Gordon was a fresh face, insanely talented, and someone who wasn't a good ol' boy. The battles between him and Dale were really good from a marketing standpoint.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really hate that one. A race when the points battle has been decided isn't meaningless, it's meaningful because it's a goddamn motor race and you want to see who wins.

Which is why people don't give a poo poo about the chase when the on track product isn't quality. Does it add a bit to it, sure. Does it help having close margins between leader and 2nd, usually. But if you don't have the other 15-25 top positions having an actual battle either because no one can pass, that's more a problem than leaders pulling away.

That is NASCAR.txt. "You don't like the product? gently caress you, deal with it, we're not going to make it watchable". Not only clueless about their racing quality, but tone deaf to suggestion.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

the ugly truth is a whole mess of deaths made NASCAR popular

Hahah yeah good one!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Though to be fair viking you're the guy who jacks off to pictures of adam petty wishing you could've been in the car when he died so maybe it's just you who needs to be institutionalized and not every single person in the country.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really hate that one. A race when the points battle has been decided isn't meaningless, it's meaningful because it's a goddamn motor race and you want to see who wins. A points race is numbers on a spreadsheet. Somehow all those boring points battles in the 90s didn't stop NASCAR from getting popular.

It's weirdly tone deaf.

Like the reaction to most people brought up in that piece was to never bother watching cup or going to a race. A lot of people fled and found other stuff to do with their time. The people that brought up those points were genrally long time, hard core fans of the series.

NASCAR gave them the finger in the 2000's to chase the mythical soccer mom and dad.

and they're still chasing them. Even after both bailed after the 08 economic collapse.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Peanut President posted:

Though to be fair viking you're the guy who jacks off to pictures of adam petty wishing you could've been in the car when he died so maybe it's just you who needs to be institutionalized and not every single person in the country.

adam petty was terrible

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

By this logic no one cares about the clash or the all star race.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

adam petty was terrible

you and him have a lot in common

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I haven't been able to sit through a Cup race since Daytona. Stage racing has literally ended my enjoyment of the series. It's like the car switching in Formula E: until they get rid of that poo poo, I simply cannot care.

Gonna give it another shot this weekend cause its Sears Point and the other racing that day doesnt conflict. See how this goes.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Peanut President posted:

you and him have a lot in common

When did Viking crush a crewman?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

I haven't been able to sit through a Cup race since Daytona. Stage racing has literally ended my enjoyment of the series. It's like the car switching in Formula E: until they get rid of that poo poo, I simply cannot care.

Gonna give it another shot this weekend cause its Sears Point and the other racing that day doesnt conflict. See how this goes.

At least you made it through Daytona. I haven't watched more that 20 percent of a race yet. I consider myself a Larsen fan but i find myself losing interest when I am watching the race.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Same, I turn every race on and see the "STAGE 1" graphics and turn it right back off. Seems pointless. It's funny, the idea is to make the entire race meaningful, but for me it does the opposite. NASCAR needs to be less contrived, not more.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's bizarre to me that the stages would be the tipping point for you guys, it feels so benign compared to all the other horseshit. But trying to make an argument in favor of watching NASCAR at this point just feels so depressingly futile, so I'm not even gonna try.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's bizarre to me that the stages would be the tipping point for you guys, it feels so benign compared to all the other horseshit. But trying to make an argument in favor of watching NASCAR at this point just feels so depressingly futile, so I'm not even gonna try.

If only there were an idiom that describes a seemingly small event being more impactful than you'd expect...

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

kidcoelacanth posted:

yeah I think there's like three of us that still enjoy watching it, which is why I hardly post or go in IRC anymore

oh well

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

yeah I think there's like three of us that still enjoy watching it, which is why I hardly post or go in IRC anymore

oh well

You lust for Danica crashes

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I enjoy watching NASCAR. But everything isn't fine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Stage racing is like a fairer version of debris cautions

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't usually follow NASCAR but why were heats not considered? Or just red flags between stages?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't usually follow NASCAR but why were heats not considered? Or just red flags between stages?

thread_title.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

In my experience, heats are the way that tracks narrow down the field for the final race because there are so many entries. For example, if a track has 100 entries and the quarter mile oval suits having 30 for the final, then heats make a lot of sense. NASCAR doesn't have enough entries to justify a need for heats.

Also, the sponsors would be pissed if their 18 million dollar car doesn't make the main even 3 races in a row.

• Locked thread