Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I hope Chuck doesn't die. Hard to see how he makes it out of this, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Fuckin crazy good episode but Kim saying "the answer is always the good stuff" has me :ohdear:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't believe how positive a note Jimmy and Kim ended the season on. She even knew all about Irene and still no cracks. What the hell is going to tear them apart at this point??

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'm glad Chuck attempted suicide, and I wish him good luck in his endeavors.

I do hope he doesn't take out the neighborhood in the process though.

If he does, at least his estate has three million bucks to spare

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'm getting a weird Ozymandias vibe here.

"I TURNED ON THE ELECTRICITY 35 MINUTES AGO MWAHAHAHA"
I just wanna say I really like this post.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Karmine posted:

Fuckin crazy good episode but Kim saying "the answer is always the good stuff" has me :ohdear:

Kim becomes Wendy

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If Chuck cashed the check, does Jimmy get it as his only remaining family?

maskenfreiheit posted:

Also does anyone think Chuck was so mean to Jimmy to make it hurt less when he's gone or are Redditors dumb? 🤔

Mentally ill people push friends and family away so that nobody can force them onto the long, hard, boring road to recovery. So I don't think he was doing it while planning suicide, but it probably ended up helping him do it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat but I'm interpreting Chuck's specific choice of method as being one last attempt to rub Jimmy's nose in it.

gently caress Chuck.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

hailthefish posted:

Maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat but I'm interpreting Chuck's specific choice of method as being one last attempt to rub Jimmy's nose in it.

gently caress Chuck.

I don't think so, but I think Jimmy will be self centered enough to interpret it that way

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

Also does anyone think Chuck was so mean to Jimmy to make it hurt less when he's gone or are Redditors dumb? 🤔

He was mean to Jimmy for the same reason he tore his house apart. He's desperately trying to find the core source of his anxiety so he can tear it out and make it stop buzzing away at his brain, even if that means destroying everything he cares about in the process. He's loving insane, and it's tragic.

That said, the reason his words to Jimmy hurt so much is because, as usual, there' s a lot of truth to them. Chuck doesn't even try to deny that Jimmy's feelings of remorse are genuine. There's no sense that Chuck is just trying to tear Jimmy down to make himself feel better like he usually does. Chuck hates himself right now more than he ever hated Jimmy and doesn't give a poo poo about anything anymore. He's just giving a cold, emotionless, and brutally accurate appraisal of Jimmy's nature as a human being, because why not?

The only lie in his whole takedown of Jimmy was his claim that Jimmy never mattered that much to him. The cold open of him reading the Mabel book to Jimmy as a child proves that he's always cared about Jimmy. His realization of what a callous monster he's become, and the fact that he's unable to escape his own vindictive and jealous nature and just love people like a normal person, is what ultimately drives him to commit suicide, I think.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

kefkafloyd posted:

I thought he wasn't going to do the right thing anymore.
Kim. It's all Kim.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God drat, that was a good finale. It had 5 high notes in a single hour of TV (Hamlin owning Chuck, Chuck disavowing his brother, Don Eladio stroking out, Jimmy doing The Right Thing and Chuck killing himself) plus that full scene of Chuck completely regressing.

e: Hamlin firing Chuck from his (mostly) personal money was such a goddamn satisfying scene, holy hell

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Chuck going all Gene Hackman at the end of The Conversation on his house was probably the best scene of the series.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

GobiasIndustries posted:

e: Hamlin firing Chuck from his (mostly) personal money was such a goddamn satisfying scene, holy hell

That really must be the definition of "it hurts so good" too. Hamlin looked so satisfied to be rid of Chuck despite the immense cost to himself. I can't help but think Chuck realizing Hamlin wanted him gone so badly he was going to personally scrounge up 9 MILLION dollars to make him gently caress off was a major part of what led to his ultimately suicidal regression.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zebulon posted:

That really must be the definition of "it hurts so good" too. Hamlin looked so satisfied to be rid of Chuck despite the immense cost to himself. I can't help but think Chuck realizing Hamlin wanted him gone so badly he was going to personally scrounge up 9 MILLION dollars to make him gently caress off was a major part of what led to his ultimately suicidal regression.

Yeah that had to hurt like hell. "That's bullshit. And you know it" you could see the hurt & anger in Hamlin's eyes and then Chuck's realization of how bad he hosed everything up.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

kefkafloyd posted:

I thought he wasn't going to do the right thing anymore.

What Chuck said to Jimmy is the key: Jimmy slips, he feels bad about it and tries to reform, then after a little bit the feelings of remorse fade and he slips again, and the whole cycle starts over, because it's in his nature, and no one can escape their nature. Jimmy genuinely wants to change, but he can't. I think the reason Chuck is able to lay it out in such a plain and zen manner is because he's just realized the same thing about himself. That's part of the reason he loses the will to overcome his electricity phobia and ends up relapsing. He loses his belief in his own ability to change and to be better.

hailthefish posted:

gently caress Chuck.

I guarantee you Chuck isn't thinking about anything in that moment other than how much he utterly loathes himself. That night he spent reading to Jimmy in the tent by the lantern was a ray of light and love in his life that he'll never be able to recapture or experience ever again, and that knowledge causes him unbearable pain. So he kicks over the lantern on his table, his literal last ray of light, to kill himself and end it all.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zebulon posted:

tbh to the other people who were in the room hamlin probably looks like a savior because of that, assuming they ever learn that later.

i doubt we'll see hamlin again tho.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

I really do hope Hamlin comes out of this all right. Poor guy deserves to be out from under Chuck's yoke and free of Jimmy being a pain in the rear end to him, but I doubt even at his worst that Hamlin wanted to be rid of Chuck by way of Chuck dying.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

anime was right posted:

tbh to the other people who were in the room hamlin probably looks like a savior because of that, assuming they ever learn that later.

i doubt we'll see hamlin again tho.

We're definitely seeing Hamlin again.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
tbh it didn't even seem like Jimmy was a pain in the rear end at HHM, Chuck just hated the idea of Jimmy being a lawyer and forced Hamlin to be the bad guy in that situation. Not that Hamlin isn't still a dick, mind you, but it seems that Hamlin liked Jimmy personally and was forced by Chuck to not hire him.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

3 seasons later Howard is somehow not an evil character.

He's not not an evil character. It was a necessary move the way he cut Chuck loose but it was still a ruthless dick move the way he shoved a check in his pocket and had all hands present to witness his immediate departure.

Also it was savvy because it like prevents HHM from having to pay out the other 2/3 of the payment, since Chuck doesn't have an estate except for Jimmy.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

tbh it didn't even seem like Jimmy was a pain in the rear end at HHM, Chuck just hated the idea of Jimmy being a lawyer and forced Hamlin to be the bad guy in that situation. Not that Hamlin isn't still a dick, mind you, but it seems that Hamlin liked Jimmy personally and was forced by Chuck to not hire him.

Hamlin's resentful if not angry about what Jimmy did with Mesa Verde and the damage it did to HHM's reputation, if nothing else. He's probably also sick in general of both McGills being a pain in the rear end that has damaged his personal reputation, given it was him and his reputation that got Jimmy the spot at that other lawfirm that he got himself fired from for no good reason, same as Chuck's inability to let poo poo go dragged HHM and by extension him through the mud on record in front of the bar association. Last time you see Jimmy and Hamlin together Hamlin is firmly in "tired of your poo poo" mode with him, but that was also after things had started going to poo poo with Chuck so he might have just been snapping at people he can get away with snapping at, same way he took it out on Kim.

h_double posted:

Also it was savvy because it like prevents HHM from having to pay out the other 2/3 of the payment, since Chuck doesn't have an estate except for Jimmy.

It's not as if he knew Chuck was going to go kill himself that night. I have no doubt Hamlin fully intended to honor the contract, at great personal expense to himself, just to be rid of him for the good of the firm itself. He lucked out immensely but the payouts were in accordance with the contract, not savviness on his part.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 20, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zebulon posted:

Hamlin's resentful if not angry about what Jimmy did with Mesa Verde and the damage it did to HHM's reputation, if nothing else. He's probably also sick in general of both McGills being a pain in the rear end that has damaged his personal reputation, given it was him and his reputation that got Jimmy the spot at that other lawfirm that he got himself fired from for no good reason, same as Chuck's inability to let poo poo go dragged HHM and by extension him through the mud on record in front of the bar association. Last time you see Jimmy and Hamlin together Hamlin is firmly in "tired of your poo poo" mode with him, but that was also after things had started going to poo poo with Chuck so he might have just been snapping at people he can get away with snapping at, same way he took it out on Kim.

Yeah by the end of things he doesn't like Jimmy.

but that's still Chuck's fault :colbert:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

RedSpider posted:

I can't tell you how loving sick I am of Chuck's bullshit mental illness and the amount of time this show spends on it. We seriously had about 15 minutes of Chuck's bullshit in a house searching for power sources in THE loving SEASON FINALE. WHAT IN THE gently caress.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hamlin just kinda wants to be done with both of these brothers and can you really blame him?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hamlin just kinda wants to be done with both of these brothers and can you really blame him?

Not at all. I suspect Hamlin and Jimmy could get along on a personal level, given time. But on a professional level there's no way he'd want Jimmy working at HHM anymore. He's seen exactly what sort of person Jimmy is, and while he's not inherently a bad person, he's a professional liability in the most polite of terms.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine being so sick of someone that you'd take out loans to help pay $9mil to get them out of your life.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Eh, I've defended this show's slow pace in the past but I really think they botched the second half of this season. Having Jimmy's arc for the season end with him doing the right thing with the olds was sort of a wet fart for where they're at with his character. They need to step on the gas if they're back for season 4. Which I am still on board for, but less enthusiastically so than I have been up til now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That loving montage jesus christ when he takes the painting down my heart loving breaks.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don' think suicide fits Chuck at all, and if it were, shoving the entire breakdown into the last half of the last episode was too much. He is doing fine and then suddenly plummets to killing himself in like 1 scene.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

drunken officeparty posted:

I don' think suicide fits Chuck at all, and if it were, shoving the entire breakdown into the last half of the last episode was too much. He is doing fine and then suddenly plummets to killing himself in like 1 scene.

Not only did he lose his entire purpose for living when Hamlin let him go, Hamlin made it personal. Suicide doesn't generally follow a plan and is frequently unexpected.

e: if you want to get into it, Chuck made it personal by being a vindictive rear end in a top hat but getting a personal check from Hamlin and Hamlin admitting he had to take out loans to make said payout happen made it personal to Chuck.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 20, 2017

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Eh, I've defended this show's slow pace in the past but I really think they botched the second half of this season. Having Jimmy's arc for the season end with him doing the right thing with the olds was sort of a wet fart for where they're at with his character. They need to step on the gas if they're back for season 4. Which I am still on board for, but less enthusiastically so than I have been up til now.

I don't mind it, may as well have some ups and downs along the way if they really are pacing it to only catch up to just about where Saul is when he's introduced in Breaking Bad and have a few Gene flashforwards tacked on too.

Clearly the takeaway is that Jimmy only does the right thing when approximately $1 million is on the line, if it's smaller dollar figures on the line he'll gobble it up any sleazy way he can.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I kinda agree with this. Over the last few episodes we've seen Jimmy get increasingly selfish and vindictive (the scene in the bar where he thinks about running cons again; the trial itself; "who?" when Hamlin mentions Chuck; the malpractice insurance thing; ruining Irene's life; etc). Having him snap and inadvertently admit to everything lovely he'd done because he was proud of it would be the ideal step towards the sleazy scumbag he becomes, and the fact that it fixes Irene's social situation at the same time is a cherry on top. Everything tied up nicely and he's on track for the next season.

Making the admission be an extraordinarily selfless act turns that all back to zero; apparently all of the poo poo he's put up with so far hasn't been enough to send his moral compass south. Now we have to spend another season figuring out how the man who chose to ruin his own reputation rather than see an old woman lonely turns into a Criminal Lawyer who encourages his own clients to get serious about their meth empire.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

He was never really doing fine though, I think that's the point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think we need another sequel series about the cartel.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Uh, he's not doing fine. He has no one left. He's got nothing to do but while away the days all alone in his big empty house, counting the money he vindictively wrenched from the pocket of his former best friend. He pushed away the only other person in the world he loves, the one remaining member of his family. And he's been forced into retirement; he doesn't even have the law anymore.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

He was never doing fine, that was the entire point. He tried to pretend that he had just thought himself better and was now Mr. Electricity, but his delusions were still happening.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I feel that Chuck's prideful brain created the EHS, in that it needed a scapegoat for why his relationship with his ex ended. He lost control of his relationship with his wife, and probably felt he had nobody to blame but himself.

And yet... he couldn't admit to himself that it was his fault. He couldn't keep his relationship together with the same perfect logic he used in court, and he couldn't admit that he struggles in that area. It had to be something that wasn't his fault that caused the fallout. So as a defense mechanism, he had to have some illness that caused him to be that way, and his brain, whether consciously or subconsiously created the illness.

The whole facade with his doctor, Hamlin and Jimmy over the last few episodes felt like a very real thing that mentally ill people go through, in that they try to prove to people that they aren't crazy, that they are making progress, and that they are getting better.

But I think at the very end of the episode, in line with the almost-revelation that he had with his doctor, he realized that he was crazy and his whole outfit was a facade. If anything, having it proven in court that his condition wasn't real probably hurt his pride so bad that he couldn't admit it to himself until it was too late. Once he looked up at the lovely mess he made of his house, he knew that he could no longer put in a front that he was sane, and then kicked the lantern off. Because it was most important that people believe that he is real, credible, and brilliant. And that was no longer going to be possible after his episode with the meter box.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've never rooted for someone to have a stroke, and yet I've been rooting for it all season. This episode was satisfying.

A large part of me wants Howard and Kim to join up together to form the ultimate Power Legal Team. Kim, ditch the zero, go for the hero!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The estate still gets the 9 million.

• Locked thread