Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Dias posted:

Since I know no one here bothered watching Smash 4:

https://twitter.com/theSirToasty/status/876612138495860737

smashplayers.gif, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lol ok that kind of owns

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
That is a top quality intro.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elephunk posted:

I didn't know you held them in such high esteem.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

EVO registration numbers down nearly across the board, save T7 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241123155&postcount=8162

SFV is so bad that it's killing the whole genre. Instead of people flowing out into other games, they're abandoning fighting games entirely. MVCI being trash is only going to make the problem worse. Big fighting game tournaments either needs to find another games/series to rally around, most likely Smash/Melee, or risk becoming irrelevant/insolvent.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

lol gently caress that

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Take my energy DBFZ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
lmao

the way to save fighting games is rally around melee

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

SFV is a turd yeah but it costs at least twice as much to stay at the Mandalay Bay vs the Westgate. I know that's why I'm probably not going, and it's the reason why most of my friends are opting out. I think entry fees are higher this year too?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

EVO registration numbers down nearly across the board, save T7 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241123155&postcount=8162

SFV is so bad that it's killing the whole genre. Instead of people flowing out into other games, they're abandoning fighting games entirely. MVCI being trash is only going to make the problem worse. Big fighting game tournaments either needs to find another games/series to rally around, most likely Smash/Melee, or risk becoming irrelevant/insolvent.

Still feels like a far cry from the early 2000s when I got into it. Things were so dire in the Capcom Fighting Jam era. I feel like SF4 really revived things but it's been nearly a decade now, maybe it's cyclical.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
pretty sure the drop in entrants is just correcting the record-breaking numbers from last year due to SFV releasing

plus we're still like a month out and we're comparing against 2016 final numbers

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Only Ed Boon can save us now.

May he have mercy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

pretty sure the drop in entrants is just correcting the record-breaking numbers from last year due to SFV releasing

plus we're still like a month out and we're comparing against 2016 final numbers

Yeah it had to be a combination of SF5 being a new game as well as it being at the Mandalay Bay center or whatever.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The decline is amongst every fighting game listed but Tekken 7. I believe most tournies are down entrants YoY. Is this really just down to Street Fighter V?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
DBZ being good can potentially be a very big deal in the FGC. DBZ as a franchise is very popular still so it suddenly having a legit good FGC game could be a huge shot in the arm.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

C. Everett Koop posted:

SFV is so bad that it's killing the whole genre. Instead of people flowing out into other games, they're abandoning fighting games entirely.

when I said this would happen here on SA people said I should stop posting about games I don't play and that it was a ridiculous sentiment

sad to prove them wrong

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zand posted:

when I said this would happen here on SA people said I should stop posting about games I don't play and that it was a ridiculous sentiment

sad to prove them wrong

Reminds me a year ago when I told people they shouldn't want another Marvel vs Capcom game, because Capcom would gently caress it up, but I just got yelled at.

I too am sad that I am likely to prove them wrong.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, we're back to 2015 numbers probably. Kinda proves SFV didn't have enough lasting power to keep the community growing, really. As for the other games, I wonder if Smash/NRS having their own things now explains a dropoff in players or if it's just SFV + other games participants numbers being down overall.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't registration still open until the 30th?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zand posted:

sad to prove them wrong
the always right contingency continues to always be right

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elephunk posted:

that's me 10 seconds into a bayonetta session

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Overcome your fear of IAD and BDC inputs and save your precious FGC, or join us in platform hell.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

C. Everett Koop posted:

What if the FGC hit its peak community numbers in 2016? We had to hit a ceiling at some point; communities grow and shrink.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
SFV is a disappointment for sure but it isn't 'killing the whole genre' based on early EVO registration rates yeesh

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The decline is amongst every fighting game listed but Tekken 7. I believe most tournies are down entrants YoY. Is this really just down to Street Fighter V?

Absolutely. My favorite fighting game would never fail on its own merits. Had to be something else.

I remember those ten years that people stopped watching movies after that Joel Schumacher Batman movie. People went back to reading and radio dramas. This is the same story, I'm afraid.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I know a good number of people not attending evo this year due to it being more expensive...sf5 has its faults but it aint killin evo lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I aint a mathematician but in an activity with niche appeal and relatively low cost to entry doubling the cost of hotel rooms might be a bad plan for attendance if that is truly what happened.

Unironically, though, DBZ though is gonna be a massive draw.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Reminds me a year ago when I told people they shouldn't want another Marvel vs Capcom game, because Capcom would gently caress it up, but I just got yelled at.

I too am sad that I am likely to prove them wrong.

But everyone is excited about DBFZ

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Not surprised, or worried, that the numbers are on the decline. I mean of course they are, last year was so big because sf5 was brand spanking new and had that fresh new feel. Now add a year of mismanagement and bad will it hurts their attendance numbers quite a bit. A good number of those SF players play one game on the side and therefore the lack of them showing up hurts the other games as well.

Next year we will see a big spike again with DBZ and Marvel's first appearances although not quite 2016 numbers more than likely but it'll still be a lot bigger than this year.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm sure EVO Japan also had an impact.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AkumaHokoru posted:

I know a good number of people not attending evo this year due to it being more expensive...sf5 has its faults but it aint killin evo lol

ok so, esports is killing evo

what fg is the driving force behind esportsing the fgc again?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Zand posted:

ok so, esports is killing evo

what fg is the driving force behind esportsing the fgc again?

actually this is like blaming a stabbing on a knife instead of the stabber (capcom is the stabber and sfv is the knife and I am the guy getting stabbed)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Esports E S P O R T S is the future.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zand posted:

actually this is like blaming a stabbing on a knife instead of the stabber (capcom is the stabber and sfv is the knife and I am the guy getting stabbed)

That's the logic they follow in the UK.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

dragon enthusiast posted:

People should really wait till the above is not the case before freaking out.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dias posted:

Since I know no one here bothered watching Smash 4:

https://twitter.com/theSirToasty/status/876612138495860737

Fuckin fabulous.

A.o.D. posted:

That's the logic they follow in the UK.

do you really have to out yourself as a moron on more subjects than just fighting games if we're likening a bad videogame to actual murder

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

C. Everett Koop posted:

Big fighting game tournaments either needs to find another games/series to rally around, most likely Smash/Melee, or risk becoming irrelevant/insolvent.

I would rather that the genre die out entirely than for Smash Bros competitive play become the standard. You're sick, Everett, you need help.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Here's 15/16/17 numbers for better comparison

Main Street Fighter Game: 2227/5065/1955
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 1926/2637/1031
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 1869/2350/1002
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2: 968/903/632
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: 816/770/450
NRS Fighter: 1162/707/560
Tekken 7: 458/543/560
Killer Instinct/KOF 14 Token Inclusion Game: 540/397/294
Total: 9966/13372/6484

They're not just down from last year, they're down significantly from two years ago, with Tekken being the sole exception and now that the game's finally out in the US I'd bet it'll be down in 2018 as well. 5k for SFV was unsustainable, sure, but it's the game at the top and the key reason as to why numbers are way down across the board. EVO's made some mistakes for sure; they've tried to wring too much money out of the consumer base and are going to take a bath this year. But EVO's mistakes are amplified exponentially by promoting SFV as their top game, which poisons the entire well.

This year's a bust; there's no magic button they can push that'll make the numbers respectable even with a late registration push and I doubt that one's coming, and now the only thing left is to see how far the viewership numbers drop and how empty the arena is on Sunday. I don't think SFV's gonna be on ESPN this year!

For 2018, EVO needs to pray that DBZ is a massive hit and can pull some 2-3k entries, meaning you can promote it at the top of the show, or swallow their pride and move Melee into the main event slot; their numbers are way down because they've been disrespected with the Saturday Top 8 and are staying home accordingly. They'll also need to downscale considerably but that goes without saying. My guess for 2018 numbers if SFV is at the top:

SFV: 800
DBZ: unknown, but let's guestimate around 600-800
Smash Wii U: 250
Melee: 300, but that's dependent if they're still demoted to Saturday.
MVCI: 150
IJ2: 400
T7: 200
Last game, ARMS or whatever: <100
Total: 2800-3000, at best.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 20, 2017

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I hope melee is below 300

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also your guesses are insanely whack lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is Street Fighter V really bad enough to kill an entire genre of game? I don't play it myself but I watch the top 8s at whatever tournament is on and it seems entertaining enough