Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Ah, thanks for the tips. I already have an astero, I'm just too scared to fly it given my track record of losing 3 herons in a day while exploring. :v: But we will most likely be a total of four people. Two of which are alphas for the moment but figured we could use them as tacklers or something if needed. Is there an option for stuff that will make me shoot as opposed to launching drones? Or is that the most efficient way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
It considerably more training time but with the initial release of the new t3 cruiser subsystems coming in July it's looking like they'll be able to do a lot of DPS even with convert ops cloaks. Those changes are obviously still subject to change. As it is now the Proteus is an excellent cov ops cloak with very high damage with blasters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm having a lot more fun as an alpha than I did as a monthly paying customer 3 years ago last time I played. No more trying to get that ~1 billion isk each month to pay for my PLEX. Flying cheap destroyers/frigs that i don't really care about loosing is much better than trying to fund battlecruisers or tier 2 cruisers. Graphics, music, and sound are waaaaaaay better. UI and fleet finder are really nice an appreciated additions.

Salvaging is so much better for funding my relatively inexpensive eve lifestyle than afk Navy Vexor was 3 years ago. Spend an hour and earn 50 million instead of circling asteroids in afk ratting for hours.

I also really like the lack of clone levels.

Only thing that is kind of a bummer is the inability to try out the other faction's destroyers/cruisers/frigs as the caldari have a real great looking 100km sniping destroyer you can kit out for ~10 million which also looks great.

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

Only thing that is kind of a bummer is the inability to try out the other faction's destroyers/cruisers/frigs as the caldari have a real great looking 100km sniping destroyer you can kit out for ~10 million which also looks great.

Make more alphas: one of each flavor.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

normal data and relic analyzer.

Unless you are on a super budget, use the integrated analyzer. It gets the coherence from both data and relic skills and saves a mid slot. You lose 2 tool slots but it doesnt matter because you can leave them on the board anyway.

Astero is my favorite explo ship if I want to take fights. If I just want pure earnings, ceptor is awesome.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FranktheBank posted:

Unless you are on a super budget, use the integrated analyzer. It gets the coherence from both data and relic skills and saves a mid slot. You lose 2 tool slots but it doesnt matter because you can leave them on the board anyway.

Astero is my favorite explo ship if I want to take fights. If I just want pure earnings, ceptor is awesome.

that thing costs as much as the drat astero in the first place, plus my 30 extra virus coherence :emo:

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

that thing costs as much as the drat astero in the first place, plus my 30 extra virus coherence :emo:

You gain coherence by using zeugma.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FranktheBank posted:

You gain coherence by using zeugma.

a relic analyzer II has 60 coherence and a smegma one has 30 though?

they have the same virus strength, which is the actually important one

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

a relic analyzer II has 60 coherence and a smegma one has 30 though?

they have the same virus strength, which is the actually important one

FranktheBank posted:

It gets the coherence from both data and relic skills

Which result in higher overall coherence.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FranktheBank posted:

Which result in higher overall coherence.

ah, that's what i was missing

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Woohoo CCP is reimbursing my Dominix. :toot: Now I just have to completely refit it so it isn't awful! :v:

I have no loving idea what the last few dozen posts were about but it sounds very intriguing. :)

I think I might try going Black Ops training since zipping about cloaked and ninja scouting targets for gangs of goon buddies sounds fun. At least until I have enough bankroll to afford to replace more expensive ships on a not infrequent basis and do the actual ganking. Or I could be a tackler Inty since I'm all skilled out for that. Whatever would be more fun really, I need to try new things.

SO ANYWAY I'm going to aim to set up a jump clone in Sinq Liason since I primarily mission for Fed Navy as my current revenue stream, then see where to go from there as far as rejoining GSF is concerned. Any particular Corp I should contact or apply to?

FWIW I'm a poor with skills almost entirely maxed out for Amarr BS Sniping with good but not maxed armor tanking skills. Been dabbling in Gallente projectile/drone setups since I'm working towards the Machariel Burner build.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Don't be running around in highsec in a blingy mission battleship with a GSF character, you will be marked for death.

If you like missions and are going to join GSF, train rockets to blaze Anomic Teams and live the pirate LP dream.

Daandrah posted:

Instead of aiming for miners aim for haulers. The amount of expensive poo poo that gets hauled in an autopiloting t1 hauler is hilarious.

Put a scanner character on a main hub gate. Have a ganker on the other side. (I liked to use vexors) and a cloaky hauler with stabs.

When you scan a ship with good potential loot then gank him once he lands on the next gate. Warp down grab the loot.

Rinse and Repeat.

There are guides for this on the GSF forums i beleive.

:)

Ganking T1 industrials is fun but if your goal is to use your ill-gotten proceeds as inputs for manufacturing you're setting yourself up for frustration. There's no guarantee what will come by or how much of it. Plus most minerals being hauled in Kryos or whatever the mineral hauler is are low value crap, and gate ganking has high overhead (RNG fairy + cost of suicide ships + minimum 3 plex/mo). It's also pretty irregular - very feast or famine.

Better to just gank the high value poo poo and sell it directly.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Yeah I'm probably going to have to just sell off my assets and scoot over to GoonTown. I forgot about the kill rights in highsec from Corp Wars.

Out of curiosity, how many wars is GSF in at any given time? I'm guessing oodles.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blasphemaster posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to have to just sell off my assets and scoot over to GoonTown. I forgot about the kill rights in highsec from Corp Wars.

Out of curiosity, how many wars is GSF in at any given time? I'm guessing oodles.

At the moment, GSF is at war with 9 different corps/alliances. All of them are highsec pirates.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah, once you join GSF, you generally do not want to spend any time in highsec at all on an in-alliance character

most of us have npc corp shoppers for when we need to buy stuff in jita (which isn't often any more, thanks to delve being such a good market)

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
hole squad has to rely on high sec because wormholes and honestly outside of the 3 jump sphere around jita, amarr itself, and pipe systems like niarja/uedama there's jack poo poo. i mean don't go out on a limb with expensive poo poo and get blown up but we make logistics runs in blockade runners all the time and take plenty of ships out of market hubs

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

hole squad has to rely on high sec because wormholes and honestly outside of the 3 jump sphere around jita, amarr itself, and pipe systems like niarja/uedama there's jack poo poo. i mean don't go out on a limb with expensive poo poo and get blown up but we make logistics runs in blockade runners all the time and take plenty of ships out of market hubs

lmao nice D&D social disease :pwn:

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Just get out of high sec period, it's AIDS.

RE Astero/Stratios are both super fun to fly both solo and in small groups. Astero is a great VNI hunter, if your WH chain puts you out in renter territory somewhere.

awox
Aug 21, 2015
luv2club

Papal Mainframe posted:

Just get out of high sec period, it's AIDS.

RE Astero/Stratios are both super fun to fly both solo and in small groups. Astero is a great VNI hunter, if your WH chain puts you out in renter territory somewhere.

The Stratios is great to fly, just don't do what i did and forget you are in highsec with a blingy Stratios https://zkillboard.com/kill/62911479/

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

orange juche posted:

lmao nice D&D social disease :pwn:

owned whoever nigga crab polock is

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Blasphemaster posted:

SO ANYWAY I'm going to aim to set up a jump clone in Sinq Liason since I primarily mission for Fed Navy as my current revenue stream, then see where to go from there as far as rejoining GSF is concerned. Any particular Corp I should contact or apply to?

Just join Goonfleet. Follow the due process and you'll get in just fine.

As far as Mission Running goes, Theta Squad has Blazeswarm as a sub-group whose specialty is making ridiculous amounts of money with missions. You should check us out!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Office Thug posted:

Just join Goonfleet. Follow the due process and you'll get in just fine.

As far as Mission Running goes, Theta Squad has Blazeswarm as a sub-group whose specialty is making ridiculous amounts of money with missions. You should check us out!

Chilling in the Theta mumble is also way more fun while you mission run/make money than mission running all by yourself in a vacuum.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Chilling in the Theta mumble is also way more fun while you mission run/make money than mission running all by yourself in a vacuum.

I usually just watch Netflix or something on my second monitor while running through my daily pull of missions. I should get on Mumble more though, despite not being anywhere near Delve and being oblivious to the current ratting/mining meta.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

So I just learned that EVE went free to play. I had a character in Groon for a bit a couple years ago who has since been booted, but my fiancé has decided to give this a shot so I am playing a new alpha clone with her. We are working on the tutorial and intro missions, and I think we are going to stay in high sec for bit until she feels comfortable with the basic game mechanics.

I vaguely remember that high sec missions were pretty boring, and I want to move us into low sec eventually, but does running her through some high sec missions, giving her a crash course on tackling, and giving her some ships to get blown up sound like a good course of action? I've never had to teach this game to anyone before. We are playing Caldari Alpha clones, so any tips on a good easy to fly frigate would be appreciated as well!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Viva Miriya posted:

i think its steve galaxius?

i might be wrong i asked ages ago and have forgotten

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

wisdomHNOX posted:

I vaguely remember that high sec missions were pretty boring, and I want to move us into low sec eventually, but does running her through some high sec missions, giving her a crash course on tackling, and giving her some ships to get blown up sound like a good course of action? I've never had to teach this game to anyone before. We are playing Caldari Alpha clones, so any tips on a good easy to fly frigate would be appreciated as well!

If you run through all the career agents, you'll be given a few different frigates, a hauler, and a destroyer at the end of the advanced military one. Also, there are a couple of missions where you're required to destroy your ship (they'll tell you in advance), so make sure you buy max insurance on it before you do.

You should also train Social as high as alpha allows before running all these because you get a nice faction standing boost from them.

e: I forgot to actually say, yes, I think the career agent missions are a pretty helpful refresher. After that it's pretty terrible though.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 19, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

He's steve galaxius, the dude who makes all the Hole Squad videos.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
too bad about his broken as hell brain

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Woohoo CCP is reimbursing my Dominix. :toot: Now I just have to completely refit it so it isn't awful! :v:

I have no loving idea what the last few dozen posts were about but it sounds very intriguing. :)

I think I might try going Black Ops training since zipping about cloaked and ninja scouting targets for gangs of goon buddies sounds fun. At least until I have enough bankroll to afford to replace more expensive ships on a not infrequent basis and do the actual ganking. Or I could be a tackler Inty since I'm all skilled out for that. Whatever would be more fun really, I need to try new things.

FWIW I'm a poor with skills almost entirely maxed out for Amarr BS Sniping with good but not maxed armor tanking skills. Been dabbling in Gallente projectile/drone setups since I'm working towards the Machariel Burner build.

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Joining_GoonWaffe_101

You're a nerd with an SA account, join Goonwaffe.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wisdomHNOX posted:

We are playing Caldari Alpha clones, so any tips on a good easy to fly frigate would be appreciated as well!

Kestrel is easy. A merlin would be more instructional for learning stuff like transversal if you want to bring that stuff up.

Also if you haven't played for years, they made some ships into T1 space-priests. The Bantam is the caldari T1 logi frigate. It makes getting into the logi role possible as an alpha. So if your wife is in the girl = healers stereotype, that's a thing.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

Kestrel is easy. A merlin would be more instructional for learning stuff like transversal if you want to bring that stuff up.

Also if you haven't played for years, they made some ships into T1 space-priests. The Bantam is the caldari T1 logi frigate. It makes getting into the logi role possible as an alpha. So if your wife is in the girl = healers stereotype, that's a thing.

Thank you! I will check out some kestrel and Merlin fits and have her train towards being able to fly one of those effectively. I think some experience flying a straight forward "shoot-mans" ship would help her before jumping into a support role if she decides to do that.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

ErikHanson posted:

The Stratios is great to fly, just don't do what i did and forget you are in highsec with a blingy Stratios https://zkillboard.com/kill/62911479/

Your module placement...

Edit: If I have a big, stupid friend who wants to join GSF, where should I send him after I tell him "don't"?

FranktheBank fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 20, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FranktheBank posted:

Your module placement...

Edit: If I have a big, stupid friend who wants to join GSF, where should I send him after I tell him "don't"?

why would you say "don't" :colbert:

ascendancy has pretty low recruitment standards iirc

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
kick ascee

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

too bad about his broken as hell brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmC6L_cYP10

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 20, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kzin602 posted:

So I decided to take a look at this game after many years away, I logged in and every player in my LOCAL has bios full of Russian. Currently my character is in JV1V and the navigation systems says i'm some 50 jumps away from highsec space.

At this point what would be the best way to proceed to re-learn the game? I've basically forgotten everything in the past 9+ years. Is this character worth saving? Should I make a break for hisec space? I'm tempted to make a new guy and somehow transfer assets at this point.

Why would you make a new character? You would be starting from scratch and you have pleanty of training on that guy already. I would recommend going to hisec and getting refamiliar with the game, but it should come back quickly. I just starting playing again myself after a 7 year absence, and everything seem pretty similar. The fittings on ships seem to have been changed at some point, and all my Iteraon 3's turned into some stupid trash garbage for hauling planetary material only :argh: Other than that its' pretty much the same.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Wrong thread

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010
Coming back after a while and remembered I'm blacklisted. Since I am a rogue and a scoundrel of ill repute, who in 0.0 is entertaining to fly with these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Goonfleet

• Locked thread