Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Haier you don't have plat so...

This thread needs you:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Haier posted:

LOL. Mold is not a health hazard in China. It is just a discoloration that keeps happening. Better to ignore it. Maybe put some green tea on it, since green tea is the same as bleach in TCM.

Also the part where the government ID photos are all like 15 years old and everyone looks like plastic mannequins.

If they had critical thinking skills they would lose face when they realize that if only losers are coming to China it must not be very good in general, since all the winners and money makers are going elsewhere. Even Chinese don't want to be in China. It's like being the cashier in a tabletop games shop and complaining about the neckbeards and smell.

As I get closer to my leaving, the most common question is "WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?" along with butthurt like "U DON'T LIKE CHINA???" and asking why I don't want to stay here forever. They think that I am allowed to simply arrive here and stay as many years as I want, have the same lovely rights as a local, and that I feel the same way about China as they are supposed to. Answering that I am not a Chinese citizen isn't a good enough excuse. Many see me leaving China equating to me hating China, because if I liked it I would do everything in my power to stay here. Maybe it goes with their idea that if a Chinese can get work in a select foreign country, there's a 90% chance they are going to try to stay there forever.

It was a source of many break-ups and deletions by dates and plunge partners before, because they were convinced they would be the one that got me to see the glory of Mainland China, and I would just park myself right here and never leave. They seriously thought I could and would be able to stay, get married, buy a house, never leave, and have no desire to go to my own country or go live in any other country. It was pure delusion, and I found it be a delusion that was so common that I wouldn't even get into the discussion because it was so tiring.

Now that I am closer to leaving I just tell them "It is a matter of culture. Most foreigners are not happy in China after a while, because Chinese culture is too different." When asked what the cultural differences are I just say "Everything."

Video, I sometimes use to address this.

Now, I don't follow these people on youtube, but following a big controversy where the wumao brigade went up against him saying he was picking fights and causing trouble, I had a look. From the few videos I saw he has gone from pretty cool things in China to China can be annoying. Don't care for their wacky things with my Chinese wife, but lol at the wumaos going mental at someone who was giving China some soft cultural hey this is cool.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

Also the part where the government ID photos are all like 15 years old and everyone looks like plastic mannequins.

It would be especially hard to ID women since they're not allowed to wear "extensive" makeup when getting their Government ID photos taken, and most of them don't go out in public without several layers of face-changing foundation/touching up.

Example of a somewhat extreme case:

Right there the eyes, eyebrows and lashes, and possibly the mouth and cheeks are going to be giving those facial recognition algorithms a run for their money. Throw in some contacts, a different hairstyle casting shadows, and possibly the foundation changing the skin lightness by a few grades and the creases around the nose and mouth, and you'd be lucky to match her even under ideal conditions (exact same angle, distance, camera and no movement). God help you if they took a little jaunt to South Korea for a "K-pop makeover".

I think this kind of technology is a long ways away, even with the CCP throwing Beaucoup RMB at the problem.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

That picture is freaking me out. It's the eyes I think.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BCR posted:

Video, I sometimes use to address this.

Now, I don't follow these people on youtube, but following a big controversy where the wumao brigade went up against him saying he was picking fights and causing trouble, I had a look. From the few videos I saw he has gone from pretty cool things in China to China can be annoying. Don't care for their wacky things with my Chinese wife, but lol at the wumaos going mental at someone who was giving China some soft cultural hey this is cool.

these guys touch on the biggest thing i've learned after seven and a half years in china.

i will never be chinese, and no matter how much i know or how much i try, no one gives a poo poo. so i just always say "k" and just go on living my life, making my money, providing for my family and enjoying what i do. you will go insane if you worry about what people around you think, and in china you will go insane that much quicker with like a billion people in this country. so the sooner you read about "foreign trash!!" or "CAN YOU USE CHOPSTICKS!" or "HALLLLLLO" and you just learn to say "k" and move on with your life, the happier you will be. this is true everywhere but it's especially true in china.

i will say that i know i took the easy way out by not marrying a chinese person, so the second i leave this country i can just close the book on it and never return if i want. it's obviously different if you marry into the country or the culture like these dudes did.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
First day I stayed in my wife's family's place, I cleaned all the mold off the bathroom ceiling. (Not much I could do about INSIDE the ceiling, of course.) Thing was solid black. Underlying plastic panel was white.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Great Autismo! posted:

these guys touch on the biggest thing i've learned after seven and a half years in china.

i will never be chinese, and no matter how much i know or how much i try, no one gives a poo poo. so i just always say "k" and just go on living my life, making my money, providing for my family and enjoying what i do. you will go insane if you worry about what people around you think, and in china you will go insane that much quicker with like a billion people in this country. so the sooner you read about "foreign trash!!" or "CAN YOU USE CHOPSTICKS!" or "HALLLLLLO" and you just learn to say "k" and move on with your life, the happier you will be. this is true everywhere but it's especially true in china.

i will say that i know i took the easy way out by not marrying a chinese person, so the second i leave this country i can just close the book on it and never return if i want. it's obviously different if you marry into the country or the culture like these dudes did.

Will you be putting your chinese language skills on your resume?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JaucheCharly posted:

Will you be putting your chinese language skills on your resume?

they aren't on it right now and I don't have any plans to put them on it

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

First day I stayed in my wife's family's place, I cleaned all the mold off the bathroom ceiling. (Not much I could do about INSIDE the ceiling, of course.) Thing was solid black. Underlying plastic panel was white.

They really need to keep the exhaust fan on or have a dehumidifier

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

caberham posted:

They really need to keep the exhaust fan on or have a dehumidifier

Exhaust fan? What's that?

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Hey Chinathread, travel advice sought:

All being well, girlfriend and I are getting married in Seoul this September, and want to take a 3-4 day minibreak honeymoon, relatively cheap and cheerful (since wedding and immigration visas cost a small fortune).

She wants to visit Vietnam, but after reading the wikitravel guide I'm less keen, since it seems like every section is "beware of this scam to charge x times more! And maybe rob you. And this is seen as okay because you're a foriegner they feel they are getting what they are owed", rather than the usual "beware unmetered taxis/randoms approaching you/tours that take to to souvenir shops". I really wanna eat a bunch of pho and banh mi, but I don't want the stress of dealing with that level of bullshit to do so right after all the stress and bullshit of a wedding. Has anyone visited and can confirm/deny?

Also, suggestions for alternative city breaks? Hong Kong? Macau? (I've suggested Tokyo before but she doesn't want to go because nationalismradiation.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tokyo and a new gf would be my suggestions

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Cebu, go diving

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StevoMcQueen posted:

All being well, girlfriend and I are getting married in Seoul this September, and want to take a 3-4 day minibreak honeymoon, relatively cheap and cheerful (since wedding and immigration visas cost a small fortune).

She wants to visit Vietnam, but after reading the wikitravel guide I'm less keen, since it seems like every section is "beware of this scam to charge x times more! And maybe rob you. And this is seen as okay because you're a foriegner they feel they are getting what they are owed", rather than the usual "beware unmetered taxis/randoms approaching you/tours that take to to souvenir shops". I really wanna eat a bunch of pho and banh mi, but I don't want the stress of dealing with that level of bullshit to do so right after all the stress and bullshit of a wedding. Has anyone visited and can confirm/deny?

Also, suggestions for alternative city breaks? Hong Kong? Macau? (I've suggested Tokyo before but she doesn't want to go because nationalismradiation.

My gf is viet and I did a month tour of that part of the world. Thailand, Lao, Vietnam, and cambodia.

In terms of development my ranking is Thailand>Vietnam>LAO>Cambodia.

My favorite was Lao, now as for your concerns yes its real. I asked how much to rent a scooter and I was quoted a price that was 5 times then what I could get booking through the hotel.

The streets of Saigon had what I call hustlers if I was by myself I would have someone on every street corner waiting to walk up to me and softy talk in english saying I could have a woman/pot/cocaine/boy. It was annoying cause you would shake off one cross the street and the next one would be waiting and coming on to you. Do this for a 7 block walk and I was wishing I could just say in viet "sorry but I am tired from loving your mother"

But if you are with your woman that wont happen.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

StevoMcQueen posted:

I really wanna eat a bunch of pho and banh mi, but I don't want the stress

I can take you to a vietnamese restaurant in HK that provides those things

and take her to the war cemetery where she can bow towards the imperial forces that died fighting the cowardly anime nation

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I've spent an extensive time in almost all major Asian cities and the one that stands out from the rest is Kyoto which is chill, full of culture and less of an irradiated wasteland than Tokyo

Chiang Mai if you want a budget tropical experience

e: HK is never bad either 0 stress and you can admire the Chinese tourists

Vesi fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 20, 2017

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vesi posted:

Chiang Mai if you want a budget tropical experience

Dont forget the tigers

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The neighbors to my right were two dudes, I think brothers, that both worked different schedules and one was always sleeping. They never made noise except for when one of them would get home at 2-3am from work, but then the sound was over quickly.

They moved out last week. The new tenants are a single mom with two boys. The lady down the hall is also a single mom with two boys. The one down the hall makes them play in the hall instead of in the house, and the one next door makes them play in the house instead of in the hall. I am surrounded by little shits screaming from 6am to 8am, and then 3pm to 11pm. Every night the woman next to me does her phone calls in the hall from about 10pm to 2am.

Kill the old. Kill the young.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

The neighbors to my right were two dudes, I think brothers, that both worked different schedules and one was always sleeping. They never made noise except for when one of them would get home at 2-3am from work, but then the sound was over quickly.

They moved out last week. The new tenants are a single mom with two boys. The lady down the hall is also a single mom with two boys. The one down the hall makes them play in the hall instead of in the house, and the one next door makes them play in the house instead of in the hall. I am surrounded by little shits screaming from 6am to 8am, and then 3pm to 11pm. Every night the woman next to me does her phone calls in the hall from about 10pm to 2am.

Kill the old. Kill the young.

Part of the ~real~ china experience.

You shouldget an airhorn that you'd blow randomly at night. If somebody asks, it's part of your culture.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Time for a floor thumper. No reason it couldn't be oriented sideways.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Firecrackers in the hallway
Squat making GBS threads in the hallway
Rocking a Beijing bikini while squat smoking in the hallway
Chinese National Anthem played at full volume at 4AM

Things Chinese people say.

BCR fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 20, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

StevoMcQueen posted:

Go to Japan.

All else fails, there's a decent enough Vietnamese place here in Chengdu, and pandas are cute and adorable and barf, so probably good for a romantic situation. But you could do HK and Macau both in that time frame.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Chengdu was good. Shenzhen was good but is not romantic. Holing up on a beachfront chalet on a Thai island was hella romantic. Hong Kong is good. Tokyo was good. That is all the places in Asia I've been to.

Vietnam looks beautiful but I've heard the same as you from other sources, that they take the Foreigner Price bollocks to a while new level.

Go hang out in the travel forum, there's aa thread for China (where you'll get proper replies, not GBS replies) and one for SE Asia

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

Part of the ~real~ china experience.

You shouldget an airhorn that you'd blow randomly at night. If somebody asks, it's part of your culture.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Do NOT drive like a Mainlander when in the USA:

http://i.imgur.com/2O4LoR6.gifv

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If in doubt, Phuket !

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

StevoMcQueen posted:

Go to Austria or Germany.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Haier posted:

Do NOT drive like a Mainlander when in the USA:

I'm not too up-to-date on my Unnamed Country cars, but what is that, a Ford Escape? No way someone who's FOB enough to drive like that would be caught dead in something so middlebrow. Go Porsche Cayenne or go home.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Great Autismo! posted:

it's me, im the foreign trash

true

the gently caress, a person with awareness driving one of these trucks?

Stringent posted:

Tokyo and a new gf would be my suggestions

Agree. Spending the rest of your life with a racist, possibly having kids and having to try to keep them from also being racist, sounds exhausting.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

StevoMcQueen posted:

Vietnam was baller and not nearly as bad as Wikitravel made it out to be. I spent 6 weeks there - I never got scammed, I never got robbed, and I was never afraid of either. You get the usual touts/unmetered taxis/random approaches but that poo poo is super easy to deal with - say no, only use the legit taxi services or Uber/Grab, say no. I'm a 6ft dude though and the women with me felt differently, so I just went everywhere with them and nobody had any problems.

You'll get ripped off to hell if you go to the touristy markets where everyone barters for everything, but that just means you pay normal western prices for a T-Shirt instead of next to nothing. Go to the less tourist oriented markets to buy and just browse at the tourist ones (or be happy to pay $20 for a 3rd shift T-Shirt instead of the $40 back home.

The places where you pay the most are the upmarket malls and bars. Luxury goods (brand names especially) command a price premium there and it's usually cheaper to buy at home. I spent 500k on a liter of juice at a skybar and felt ripped off, but the girls drank free all night. It evens out.

Oh and electronics prices seemed okay. I bought a legit powerbank for maybe 75% of what it cost at home.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you know you never got scammed?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

2 Fast 2 Face Chinese drift.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

A philosophical question. I paid prices I always thought were reasonable (except for that loving pineapple juice) and otherwise didn't think about it.

Maybe if I was the type to get mad about paying $6 instead of $4 I would have had a different experience. poo poo was still waaaaay cheaper than living at home for the same time period, airfares included.

I don't begrudge Vietnamese Food Cart Man #592 for charging me the exact price listed on the menu, inflated tourist prices or not.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
5,000 Chambers of Plun'Qing: Have You Considered Changing Girlfriends Instead of Travel Plans?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

jizzy sillage posted:

Maybe if I was the type to get mad about paying $6 instead of $4 I would have had a different experience.
Excuse me, but that's my gimmick.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Good thing, too, I could never pull it off.

Love your work :forkbomb:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

We've just been repeating these things for 3-4 years

a bad thread eating itself

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

People are actually bad at lying and won't lie if there's no benefit for them. You cross reference prices.

Ask the convenient store seller the price for a cab ride and ask the cab driver the price for a bottle of water.

Just shrug and say "so and so told me" and ask for the real price. If the seller still doesn't bite, then just walk

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

People are actually bad

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Me reading this thread.

• Locked thread