Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

boner confessor posted:

the thing you need to remember when arguing with a conspiracy theorist is that they are advocating a theological position which they believe with near spiritual intensity but they drape it in the language of rationality and skepticism. they think they are arguing logically, but really they're stating a belief which itself defies logic, one which typically centers on how special and wise the conspiracy theorist is for rising above the masses to see the true nature of reality. if you approach them and accept their perspective that they have facts which can be debated then you will waste your time, every time

when they press you for "scientific proof" what they're really saying is that you need to say something acceptable to the canon of facts which they've cultivated to support their argument. obviously this is not how rational inquiry works, but this is consistent with people who express an irrational argument using the language of rationality to fool themselves and others

There were 2 minor fires in building 7

Steel frame buildings don't collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

El Puerco posted:

You are wrong, my wood stove doesn't collapse

your wood stove isn't supporting the weight of a bunch of other wood stoves

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

your wood stove isn't supporting the weight of a bunch of other wood stoves

It's also not made out of just steel, also does not burn as hot as jet fuel

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
The previous posters are trying to report and of course wrong

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

El Puerco posted:

There were 2 minor fires in building 7

Steel frame buildings don't collapse

do not quote me

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

El Puerco posted:

You are wrong, my wood stove doesn't collapse

holy poo poo I thought this was a joke post until you doubled down.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's also not made out of just steel, also [wood] does not burn as hot as jet fuel

I think I will have to demand a credible citation on that second one. :colbert:

Edit: Hm. I guess one logical conclusion of all the WTC stuff is that it is for all intents and purposes impossible to melt steel. The steel industry is a hoax! They're mining the girders whole from a buried ancient civilization! Wake up sheeple! These alleged "smelters" are chemtrail refining vats!

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 20, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think I will have to demand a credible citation on that second one. :colbert:

Edit: Hm. I guess one logical conclusion of all the WTC stuff is that it is for all intents and purposes impossible to melt steel. The steel industry is a hoax! They're mining the girders whole from a buried ancient civilization! Wake up sheeple! These alleged "smelters" are chemtrail refining vats!

The wood in your wood stove is generally not stoked so as to be hot enough to soften metal

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

El Puerco posted:

The controled demolition will collapse faster than gravity

The controled demolition will collapse into the buildings foot, otherwise the building topples due to Newton's second law on entropy

Ect.,

Adorable. Which law are you citing - Newton's 2nd Law or the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
The Recovery Out is flailing as usual. For you kindergarteners if you open the wood stove, let it get more air, the fuel will burn hotter. To excess, this can even make the stove red hot in places. It doesn't collapse. Your attempt to pull state is noted.

The fuel could not get hot enough to soften any structural support. No significant oxygen source noted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is this english? Am I having a stroke?

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Dirk the Average posted:

Adorable. Which law are you citing - Newton's 2nd Law or the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

Please educate yourself a little. Quickly, it means the energy held within the structure that keeps it standing cannot be overcome by it's energy itself. That means that an object like a post or a skyscraper cannot fall into its foot and instead will fall to the side or topple over on its side. I'm sure links have been posted here... somewhere.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

El Puerco posted:

The Recovery Out is flailing as usual. For you kindergarteners if you open the wood stove, let it get more air, the fuel will burn hotter. To excess, this can even make the stove red hot in places. It doesn't collapse. Your attempt to pull state is noted.

The fuel could not get hot enough to soften any structural support. No significant oxygen source noted.

You're uh, actually serious about the wood stove thing?

Pro tip: do you honestly thing that whoever designed your wood stove didn't take into account the typical temperatures it would be facing and design it such that it wouldn't melt or collapse? It's a stove, it's intentionally designed to get hot and radiate heat inwards or outwards depending on function. If your stove melts in the course of normal operation, then whoever made the stove is a complete and utter moron.

I have an experiment for you to try. Perform an FEA on your stove to determine the load it can take while at room temperature. Place a fraction less weight than that on your stove. Now heat your stove up to red hot and see if it collapses.

El Puerco posted:

Please educate yourself a little. Quickly, it means the energy held within the structure that keeps it standing cannot be overcome by it's energy itself. That means that an object like a post or a skyscraper cannot fall into its foot and instead will fall to the side or topple over on its side. I'm sure links have been posted here... somewhere.

That's uh, that's not one of Newton's laws. It also has nothing to do with entropy. It's also complete bullshit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

El Puerco posted:

Oh so your wood stove supports the weight of several additional floors above you?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

El Puerco posted:

An airplane collision and a raging inferno certainly couldn't be classified as energy entering the system

... Could they?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

El Puerco posted:

Wow, I love this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

An airplane collision and a raging inferno certainly couldn't be classified as energy entering the system

... Could they?

I think you'll find that building seven wasn't hit by a plane also that he's an idiot

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
Sounds like the Recovery is ruffled

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
not a good look to be framing your opponent as "Recovery", how many times have you been to rehab?

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

... Could they?

My torch is a raging inferno

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
Brainwave Recovery

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

El Puerco posted:

My torch is a raging inferno

And also isn't supporting the weight of several floors above it

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

El Puerco posted:

Dude, I own a woodstove and let me tell you, you let it get red hot like that and you're liable to start a chimney fire. Keep the temperature and airflow down dude, I'm worried for you now because you may be causing irreparable harm to your house.

My personal favorite conspiracy theory is the "new chronology." It boggles the mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what's Recovery Out, Mr Puerco?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Debate & Discussion > 9/11 Trutherism: Sounds like the Recovery is ruffled

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

CountFosco posted:

My personal favorite conspiracy theory is the "new chronology." It boggles the mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)

Woah. I was going to say this isn't really a conspiracy theory, as opposed to a regular ol' laughably implausible batshit theory, but then:

Wikipedia posted:

Fomenko also cites a number of cases where carbon dating of a series of objects of known age gave significantly different dates. He also alleges undue cooperation between physicists and archaeologists in obtaining the dates, since most radiocarbon dating labs only accept samples with an age estimate suggested by historians or archaeologists.

Ah, yes. The many incentives put in front of all physicists' noses by Big Archaeology to lie about results of carbon dating, in order to artificially extend human history by 4000 years. :psyduck:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

My favourite thing about the new chronology is how it ignores that there was history with and indeed contact between lots of nations outside the history he covers that independently verifies a lot of stuff that'd be impossible in his system.

It's the flat eartherism of history and I love it.

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what's Recovery Out, Mr Puerco?

Those would be family trash trying to recover brainwave

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

El Puerco posted:

You have absolutely no loving idea what you're talking about, here.

I mean, I'm used to creationists loving up the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Truthers doing it is a new one on me!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

El Puerco posted:

This only raises more questions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Puerco posted:

What does that mean

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What does that mean

I'm thinking gangstalking meets whatever the hell he thinks is being done with his brainwaves.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
It's been forty minutes and I've been tabbing back to this thread periodically, just to squint at that one sentence. I've gotten nowhere.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm thinking gangstalking meets whatever the hell he thinks is being done with his brainwaves.

His post history says you're right.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

His post history says you're right.

:toot:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

El Puerco posted:

poo poo, even my crazy person translator can't parse this one. No seriously I gave it the ole college try and I got zippadee-doodah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

El Puerco posted:

The controled demolition will collapse faster than gravity

I wanna hear more about this one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The best thing about New Chronology is that it works out to being a way that Russian nationalists can pretend Russia was totally the world dominant power until very recently, then the evil west tricked everyone and claimed it for themselves.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

El Puerco posted:

Just quoting for posterity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
The person I was arguing with has shifted the goal posts. First, they were concerned about the London apartment building vs WTC 7. Now it has mutated into the New American Century, the Iraq war and the "convenience" of a Pearl Harbor-esque attack, and how the hi-jackers even pulled it off.

Is it even worth continuing this? They are clearly tumbling head first into the whole conspiracy theory and quite honestly, I got tired of this a decade ago. This is the first time a friend has brought this up in forever and I am surprised since they are otherwise rather intelligent.

• Locked thread