Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Jedit posted:

We can't post all twelve issues in their entirety. Just read it, it's loving wonderful.

"Yes,loving is wonderful. And you and I, I fear we will not be loving any more."

If we did post all of it, we'd have this thread, the funny thread and the bad rear end thread backed up for weeks.

Moore-written Top 10 is definitely my fav comics I've ever read, they are sooooo good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Beyond the Farthest Precinct is utter garbage that missed the point entirely.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not to derail too much, but I'll never read it and I'm kinda curious how Beyond the Farthest Precinct took a pretty simple concept and somehow hosed it up. I didn't expect it to have the creativity and plotting of Alan Moore, but...what happened?

I'm not sure I want to paste the panel since the context is chock full of spoilers, but "Break her loving neck, son" is a line that gives me goosebumps every time I read it. There's something about the emotional rawness of that moment that gets to me. Ah, hell, I guess I should reread Top 10.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I always assumed Batman becoming less of a dick after Infinite Crisis was one of the subtle reality alterations that occurred due to Superboy Prime punching space-time and/or the subsequent rebirth of the Multiverse

I want to believe it's because there's a version of Infinite Crisis where they didn't completely gently caress up the Batman/Superman-2 confrontation and he realised it was possible to be Batman and not a massive cock.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Admittedly I usually try to pretend Infinite Crisis didn't happen when remembering the pre Flashpoint continuity, cause I really can't stand 99% of what happens during it(I've mentioned before my extremely low tolerance for death in Superhero fiction, especially when it happens only for shock value, and well almost literally everything that happens in IC is that sort of thing)*

*honestly that can be said about a lot of things that happened in that continuity, similar reason why outside of a handful of books I prefer to pretend that Marvel went out of business sometime in the early 90's, or why I pretend that DC pretty much didn't publish anything between the end of Flashpoint and about a month or two before Rebirth started(helps that it makes things a lot less confusing in that area regarding continuity)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The fact that I can't even remember which Crisises I actually read says a lot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Oddly enough besides Final Crisis, I'd say I liked Zero Hour the best of the "proper" Crises

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You horrible awful person

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

good day for a bris posted:

No joke, Countdown to Infinite Crisis and OMAC Project were the 2 books that got me into Booster Gold/Blue Beetle and sold me on DC comics in general.

For me Countdown to Infinite Crisis and OMAC had the opposite effect, because I was so invested in them, I just hated how it ended.

Like the first 3-4 issues are Booster putting the team together to go kill whomever killed Beetle. (At the time they didn't know it was Max Lord and they even tried to recruit him.)
And there is so much tension and drama over what is going to happen. Is Booster going to cross the line, to avenge his murdered friend.
Will it be Guy Gardner, who seemed to always be antagonistic with Ted, but deep down he cared a lot about Ted and won't let his death go unanswered?
Will it be Fire, not just because she liked Ted, but also because she was (pre super powers) a special agent and has a lot of steel to her that no one knew about.
Will it be another member of the newly reformed JLI?

No Max Lord get's killed by Wonder Woman. Someone who wasn't really in this series at all. And has no real connection to Blue Beatle.
And she kills him in her comic (issue 219) that happens in between issues of the OMAC project.

That just annoyed me so much.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

The Question IRL posted:

For me Countdown to Infinite Crisis and OMAC had the opposite effect, because I was so invested in them, I just hated how it ended.

Like the first 3-4 issues are Booster putting the team together to go kill whomever killed Beetle. (At the time they didn't know it was Max Lord and they even tried to recruit him.)
And there is so much tension and drama over what is going to happen. Is Booster going to cross the line, to avenge his murdered friend.
Will it be Guy Gardner, who seemed to always be antagonistic with Ted, but deep down he cared a lot about Ted and won't let his death go unanswered?
Will it be Fire, not just because she liked Ted, but also because she was (pre super powers) a special agent and has a lot of steel to her that no one knew about.
Will it be another member of the newly reformed JLI?

No Max Lord get's killed by Wonder Woman. Someone who wasn't really in this series at all. And has no real connection to Blue Beatle.
And she kills him in her comic (issue 219) that happens in between issues of the OMAC project.

That just annoyed me so much.

I'll concede that any of those would have been better, but at the time I wasn't really familiar with the characters, I just liked their underdog dynamic and what little I was able to gleam about from the story itself.

Honestly, Infinite Crisis could've easily split into 3 concurrent cross over events (Day of Vengeance, OMAC Project, and Villains United) without the main Crisis and it would've been better, especially with how little actually changed by the end of it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Not to derail too much, but I'll never read it and I'm kinda curious how Beyond the Farthest Precinct took a pretty simple concept and somehow hosed it up. I didn't expect it to have the creativity and plotting of Alan Moore, but...what happened?

I'm not sure I want to paste the panel since the context is chock full of spoilers, but "Break her loving neck, son" is a line that gives me goosebumps every time I read it. There's something about the emotional rawness of that moment that gets to me. Ah, hell, I guess I should reread Top 10.

Quoting myself from the Badass Panels thread, with all the appropriate context. Spoilered because you really should read all of Top 10 if you haven't yet.

DigitalRaven posted:

This sequence from Top Ten #10 came up in the funny panels thread, but it deserves to go here.

Synaesthesia is handling a trans-universal drug-related murderer, and Comissioner Ultima, head of the trans-universal police force and general god-like powerhouse, shows up for an inspection. I should point out at this point that Syn's only power is her mixed sensory perception.

"Break her £$%&ing neck, son." Says it all.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Post more Top Ten ITT

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gavok posted:

My favorite, which I mentioned a page or two back, is I think OMAC Project #2 during the time when Batman was at his most insufferable. Don't have the panels on me at the moment, but the background is that Blue Beetle was investigating some robbery of some kryptonite his company had and how it was leading to some kind of bigger conspiracy. Batman was too busy obsessing over the new Red Hood and told him to gently caress off. The only people who didn't treat Ted like a joke were Wonder Woman and Booster Gold. Booster even seemed to realize that Beetle was fated to die because he tried to "take the bullet" (which he apparently tried to do for Superman when he initially threw hands with Doomsday back in the day) and ended up hospitalized. Still, Beetle ended up getting shot in the head, jumpstarting the Infinite Crisis event.

Next thing you know, Booster was picked up at the hospital by Wonder Woman so the two of them and Superman could hear news of Ted's whereabouts from Batman. Batman explained that the Brother Eye satellite was stolen from him, pulled out Beetle's broken goggles and says that Beetle was investigating said conspiracy.

Booster lost his poo poo and, paraphrasing, yelled, "You son of a bitch! Ted went to you from the beginning! He went to you and you knew what he was up against and you did nothing! YOU GOT HIM KILLED!" while trying to outright vaporize Batman. The only thing stopping it was Superman dashing in the way. Superman said blame would be placed later, but Booster scoffed because of course Batman would never be punished.

Hey now, to be fair, Batman had a lot of reasons to be a distrusting prick.

After the aforementioned Bruce Wayne: Fugitive, Batman did in fact soften up a bit. He was nicer to his family, he was less of an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to his colleagues, he dropped the xenophobia, he didn't threaten heroes who came to Gotham, and was generally the nicest he'd been in a long while.

Then Identity Crisis happened.

I don't know what the gently caress was going on at DC at this point in time, but I'm guessing there was some sort of mandate that Batman should revert back to being a prick. It was revealed that a group of people in the JLA were systematically brainwashing villians into being "nice". The pied piper, the top, even Catwoman were magically induced to stop being villains. Batman found out and they wiped his mind, and it was implied (but never confirmed) that Superman had an idea of what was going on. When Batman started unraveling this he went full on apeshit, and created Brother Eye as a means to keep tabs on all heroes. It was also implied to have been the impetus for his infamous plans to take down the JLA and his fetish for contingency plans.

Of course, Brother Eye was later hijacked by a alternate universe Lex Luthor, who passed it on to Max and Checkmate so they could distract the capes while he put his nefarious scheme into action. Joke was on him in the end though (heh).

So in a nutshell, the league proved Batman right by being pricks in the first place, and the only reason Brother Eye was hijacked was because the smartest man in that quadrant of the universe stole it. He might have helped Kord, except that Jason Todd was just revealed to be back from the dead and understandably he was a bit busy with the ramifications of his biggest failure being back from the dead to haunt him, and afaik he didn't know Brother Eye was lost when Ted came to him for help. He only found out after Ted died and started digging himself.

This was the leadup to a mindcontrolled Superman (proving Batman right again mind you) almost murders Batman, and Diana killing Maxwell Lord to release him. This fractures the Big Three, all culminating with Infinite Crisis, where Alt Lex and Superboy gently caress everything up. The big three mend wounds and Batman fucks of on a journey to be less of an rear end.

If you want scenes where Batman is taken down a peg there's one where Hal Jordan punches Batman after he's resurrected from the dead (and which Batman later punches him back for).

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

:goonsay:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Physically Batman has been getting his rear end beat fairly regularly in the new Detective Comics arcs.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

GrandpaPants posted:

Much like the "great black and white" sequence posted earlier, I don't think I've ever gotten through that scene without crying. Captain Traynor is such a father-figure, you really get a sense of his attachment to his cops how heartbroken he is here. Even as a giant superpowered brawl breaks out around him, he's there cradling Li's head. There's a page missing in the bunch DigitalRaven posted, but Li's partner Irma "Geddon" Wornow flies into a berserk rage over her death and is about to launch a nuke right there in the lunch room and the hostage negotiator who has Jesse Custer's The Word power has to force her down. "Officer Wornow, disarm your nuclear weapon and back off! Now, Irma!" "gently caress you, Harry! gently caress you! Don't make me do this!" "Irma, I'm sorry. Please, just do it." It's not really inspiring in the same way a lot of stuff in this thread is, but, like you said GP, the emotional rawness of it all is so gripping.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 20, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Perry Normal posted:

Much like the "great black and white" sequence posted earlier, I don't think I've ever gotten through that scene without crying. Captain Traynor is such a father-figure, you really get a sense of his attachment to his cops how heartbroken he is here. Even as a giant superpowered brawl breaks out around him, he's there cradling Li's head. There's a page missing in the bunch DigitalRaven posted, but Li's partner Irma "Geddon" Wornow flies into a berserk rage over her death and is about to launch a nuke right there in the lunch room and the hostage negotiator who has Jesse Custer's The Word power has to force her down. "Officer Wornow, disarm your nuclear weapon and back off! Now, Irma!" "gently caress you, Harry! gently caress you! Don't make me do this!" "Irma, I'm sorry. Please, just do it." It's not really inspiring in the same way a lot of stuff in this thread is, but, like you said GP, the emotional rawness of it all is so gripping.

Gods, Top Ten is so criminally under-read, much like all of Moore's "ABC" line.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

The concept is simple but it's not the concept that carries any of these pages, it's the characters.

Everything in Beyond the Farthest Precinct forgets that and just does stuff with the window dressing while forgetting that it's a story about people.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Hey now, that's not fair, Di Filippo is a master of characterization! Remember Jack Phantom, the tough, sardonic cop who had the buddy-movie give-and-take going with Duane for a while? Well, Di Filippo has her saying "By Sappho!" as one of her very first lines in that series! Because she's a lesbian! And apparently has had her brain swapped with a Silver Age Thor comic or something! So much layered characterization in two small words. You only get that sort of economy of language out of a master craftsman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
edit: wrong thread

Madkal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 21, 2017

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Just read all of Top 10.

gently caress.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, that last one's a doozy, isn't it?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

A bit, yeah.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
TopTen is fantastic and as a result, the weird incest angle sticks out even worse than it would in a lesser story.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

e X posted:

TopTen is fantastic and as a result, the weird incest angle sticks out even worse than it would in a lesser story.

I think it's less itself that sticks out, as much as it is everyone being okay with it in the book. I mean in the spin-off book, Jeff and his sister strongly come across as victims of heavy sexual (and other) abuse, to the point that you just feel sorry for them behaving the way they do. But literally nobody raises an eyebrow when they decide to give in to their urges.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Choco1980 posted:

I think it's less itself that sticks out, as much as it is everyone being okay with it in the book. I mean in the spin-off book, Jeff and his sister strongly come across as victims of heavy sexual (and other) abuse, to the point that you just feel sorry for them behaving the way they do. But literally nobody raises an eyebrow when they decide to give in to their urges.

To be fair, I don't remember the weird incest thing at all, so I assume it was in a spinoff.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah, Smax, none of that is mentioned in the main series

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

That spinoff is to Top Ten what the Star Wars Prequels were to the original Trilogy, pure garbage that may as well be bad fanfiction and anyone with any taste at all is going to pretend it never happened. That said, Top Ten does have a prequel comic (Top 10: The Forty-Niners) and it is also very good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah, Smax, none of that is mentioned in the main series

The plot of Smax starts in Top 10 #12. It just isn't part of the main series because it's one continuous story that only involves Smax and Slinger.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

All the stuff with the Dragon in Smax is pretty rad, actually.

And in Beyond The Farthest Precinct, which takes place afterwards, they acknowledge the relationship several times and nobody is the least bit disgusted by it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BTFP is garbo

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Synthbuttrange posted:

BTFP is garbo

Same, fam.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Given Moore's views on creator control, and how the rest of the ABC line was generally Moore-driven, I just want to know how that poo poo happened in the first place. Did he have anything to do with the choice of Di Filippo to write it? Or with the decision to continue Top Ten at all?

Because man, it is offensively bad.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Given Moore's views on creator control, and how the rest of the ABC line was generally Moore-driven, I just want to know how that poo poo happened in the first place. Did he have anything to do with the choice of Di Filippo to write it? Or with the decision to continue Top Ten at all?

Because man, it is offensively bad.

I'm pretty sure the only ABC thing he retained any control over after the initial runs was League.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I'm pretty sure the only ABC thing he retained any control over after the initial runs was League.

iirc, that was explicitly what his contract with Wildstorm was written to be. And boy was he pissed when WS got bought out by DC.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Furthest Precinct is bad, but Top Ten Season Two is really good, even though it got cut short. It was written by Zander Cannon, who did the layouts for the main series and drew the Smax series, and who has since done some rad books like Heck and Kaijumax.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Man, gently caress Pete.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Benito Cereno posted:

Furthest Precinct is bad, but Top Ten Season Two is really good, even though it got cut short. It was written by Zander Cannon, who did the layouts for the main series and drew the Smax series, and who has since done some rad books like Heck and Kaijumax.

I believe he also got an early debut with NEC with his Chainsaw Vigilante character. I was kind of amazed when Top Ten came out and was all like "wait THAT Zander Cannon??"

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Scaramouche posted:

I believe he also got an early debut with NEC with his Chainsaw Vigilante character. I was kind of amazed when Top Ten came out and was all like "wait THAT Zander Cannon??"

He did indeed, though that series got cut short, too. It was only three issues, and I don't think the story resolved. It was good stuff, especially for a 19 year old writing and drawing his first comic.
It's collected together with the complete Man-Eating Cow solo series: http://www.necpress.com/Ticksearch.aspx?q=[COMPWORKS]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gotta say I found basically every example of a suicide or cancer comic in this thread super maudlin and kitschy and hamfisted, even in moments I could empathize or relate to personally. I feel like it's unavoidable for the superhero comic medium, every single example just feels like A Very Special Episode.