Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
So it looks like the Volkswagen Bus might actually happen this time.

http://jalopnik.com/holy-crap-volkswagen-will-build-that-new-microbus-1796226189

Sadly people seem to be getting their hopes up when we all know it will just another minivan. I'll bet money on yet another MQB variant and basically an Atlas with sliding doors.

On a related note, any bets on when, if ever, the USA will see the Mercedes V-class now that the Metris is here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KillHour posted:

Because the alternator is on an accessory belt that can't bare the full power of a cold start. That only works well when the engine is already warmed up. And after doing some research, it looks like different manufacturers handle it differently - some use modified starters with two independent solenoids, some use the alternator (and can even use that same alternator to run things like the AC when the engine is off - there's a clutch that disconnects the belt from the drive), and Mazda has a crazy system where the alternator moves whichever cylinder is under compression into position and the engine then turns itself over with a little help from the starter.

The Mazda system sometimes has to fall back to the normal starter - I notice this most when the engine switches off and I almost immediately put the clutch back in. About 99% of the time it works well but that other 1% is quite noticeable.

A VW rental I had in Europe seemed to just use the normal starter all the time and was much more annoying.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The first time I experienced one of those systems was in a cab in Europe. It makes good sense, but it freaked me out at first even as the passenger.

But if it saves fuel, precious fuel that can be used to make MOAR POWERRRR, then I'm 100% on board.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I wish I had a stop-start system for long lights. Does it make a real difference though? At idle is the engine really burning that much fuel? Seems like a good idea for the environment in aggregate, or on buses and trucks due to their larger displacement but maybe not on a personal-wallet level.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

a primate posted:

I wish I had a stop-start system for long lights. Does it make a real difference though? At idle is the engine really burning that much fuel? Seems like a good idea for the environment in aggregate, or on buses and trucks due to their larger displacement but maybe not on a personal-wallet level.

It's mainly for gaming the EPA city cycle. Engines use very little fuel at idle, so shutting it down doesn't actually save much at a practical level. If it doesn't bother you, it's fine. It would drive me crazy, though, and I wouldn't buy a car with it if it couldn't be disabled.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Idling wastes a lot of gas and start stop is not factored into the EPA city cycle

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Idling wastes a lot of gas and start stop is not factored into the EPA city cycle

A compact car with a 2L engine burns about 0.16 gal/hr or 0.0027 gal/min at idle. That's about 2 teaspoons per minute. It costs you all of 0.4 cents.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KillHour posted:

and Mazda has a crazy system where the alternator moves whichever cylinder is under compression into position and the engine then turns itself over with a little help from the starter.

I'm sure their way is good but bedeviled by a faulty integral part.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Deteriorata posted:

A compact car with a 2L engine burns about 0.16 gal/hr or 0.0027 gal/min at idle. That's about 2 teaspoons per minute. It costs you all of 0.4 cents.

Gas in the US is cheap as hell, so it's not an especially useful metric to determine value. The reduction in carbon emissions is useful because every little bit helps. The systems can save somewhere between 3 and 10 percent in city driving depending on a number of factors. Even higher numbers are possible if you spend a lot of time idling, which is pretty common in areas with severe traffic problems.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

big money big clit posted:

Gas in the US is cheap as hell, so it's not an especially useful metric to determine value. The reduction in carbon emissions is useful because every little bit helps. The systems can save somewhere between 3 and 10 percent in city driving depending on a number of factors. Even higher numbers are possible if you spend a lot of time idling, which is pretty common in areas with severe traffic problems.

https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/02/f8/idle-stop_light_duty_passenger_vehicles.pdf

While it looks great on a dyno, real world driving showed no improvement with the idle stop system.

In principle, it's fine. In reality, it makes little measurable difference and is just one more thing to break. Constant restarting is going to impact battery life, as well, which will offset some of the environmental benefits

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
This is kind of unrelated but you all just reminded me of it with start/stop talk. If you have an auto transmission is there any benefit to shifting into neutral at really long traffic lights? I never do it in my normal car but I do it sometimes in the Corvette because the rear view mirror tends to jiggle a lot when it's in gear and stopped, but always wondered if that saves any fuel at all since the car isn't trying to creep forward in gear.

Also everyone is publishing reviews of the Nurburgring test day that Kia had for the Stinger GT which is getting me excited despite the weight. I just need Kia to write some sort of VW-esque code to completely game the EPA rating so I can justify the inevitably poo poo fuel economy to myself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Stop/start is annoying in automatic cars but not annoying at all in manual cars since you're going to push the clutch in anyway before you can get going.

It's less for the EPA test cycle and more to avoid the output of emissions in urban areas where pollutants already get heavily concentrated.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Last week I rented a Ford Escape that had the start/stop feature. And only an engine-driven A/C compressor. :thumbsup:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

davebo posted:

This is kind of unrelated but you all just reminded me of it with start/stop talk. If you have an auto transmission is there any benefit to shifting into neutral at really long traffic lights? I never do it in my normal car but I do it sometimes in the Corvette because the rear view mirror tends to jiggle a lot when it's in gear and stopped, but always wondered if that saves any fuel at all since the car isn't trying to creep forward in gear.

Also everyone is publishing reviews of the Nurburgring test day that Kia had for the Stinger GT which is getting me excited despite the weight. I just need Kia to write some sort of VW-esque code to completely game the EPA rating so I can justify the inevitably poo poo fuel economy to myself.

Nope, no benefit due to the torque converter. I still do it sometimes to rest my leg. Actually in my Audi the manual says I can engage the electric parking brake in drive for that purpose, so that's what I do. It disengages when I tap the accelerator, a cool feature.

Think you have bad rubber (motor mounts etc.) somewhere causing your Corvette vibration or has it always done that?

I'm a huge fan of the Kia Stinger spirit (reasonably affordable, powerful and luxurious sedan) and would love to pick up a used one in 5 or so years. Unfortunately the adoption will be so low that used prices will probably be much higher than equivalent Audis/BMWs 5 years from now. Still no word on MSRP. I'm expecting it to be right in line with 35k A4 and 328i, perhaps a bit more.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 20, 2017

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Michael Scott posted:

Nope, no benefit due to the torque converter. I still do it sometimes to rest my leg. Actually in my Audi the manual says I can engage the electric parking brake in drive for that purpose, so that's what I do. It disengages when I tap the accelerator, a cool feature.

Think you have bad rubber (motor mounts etc.) somewhere causing your Corvette vibration or has it always done that?

Nah it's always done that. Not all the time but I guess sometimes it just idles a little heavier than other times. Maybe more often when the targa top is off? I dunno, I just assume that's 5.7L V8 problems I'm happy to endure.

As for Stinger prices, I'd expect the 2.0T to start around 33k up to 40, then the GT to start like 43 and go to 50 with AWD? Looks like there's gonna be a lot included with the GT, then a $2k option for awd and another option with all the safety bits like lane assist.

davebo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 20, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Stop/start is annoying in automatic cars but not annoying at all in manual cars since you're going to push the clutch in anyway before you can get going.

It's annoying if you have a really awesome engine idle, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

Last week I rented a Ford Escape that had the start/stop feature. And only an engine-driven A/C compressor. :thumbsup:

I had a Chevy Cruze loaner for a couple days that was the same. When the evaporator started to warm up, the engine would start back up, though.

Would be a better feature in not-South-Florida. :v:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I just bought a '17 CX5 and it has this auto stop thing, kinda works like a hill assist but on an automatic. If it's turned on, when you come to a stop while in gear, it will keep the brake applied automatically until you hit the gas. Still not sure if I like it or not.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had a BMW 1-series loaner for a little bit and it had the start-stop thing. It also had a button where you could turn it off. I was very thankful for that button.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't like them on principle.

(For the right price I can offer other principles)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's less for the EPA test cycle and more to avoid the output of emissions in urban areas where pollutants already get heavily concentrated.

I bet it's also to show regulators in California that they can do it themselves and to please not force it on us with new rules.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The main concern I have with start stop and engine longevity is oil pressure. If the engine's off and your oil pressure is zero, and it has to crank and get you moving in under a second, are you always going to have full oil pressure immediately? In any car I've driven with an oil pressure gauge, it can take a couple seconds to build up, even on a warm start.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Since you guys are bringing up the start stop stuff I just did a training module on toyotas system lots of blah blah stuff about when it will work and when it won't . The key thing I saw was it keeps track of how many times the starter is used including normal start ups. After 375,000 starts the system gets disabled . I can't wait for all the used car Co plants about it not working :allears:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Since you guys are bringing up the start stop stuff I just did a training module on toyotas system lots of blah blah stuff about when it will work and when it won't . The key thing I saw was it keeps track of how many times the starter is used including normal start ups. After 375,000 starts the system gets disabled . I can't wait for all the used car Co plants about it not working :allears:

What is the fix after 375k starts? That seems weird.

example 50 starts per day = 7500 day lifetime = 20 year lifetime. Gonna be a while till you start seeing those complaints :)

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I wonder how much they've considered many drivers' complete inability to sit still at a red light.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Probably replace the starter and reprogram see thing is over here we see alot of our camrys and highlanders used as cabs ubers and taxis gonna e alot more that 50 a day . We see 2017 camrys with 25k on the clock already.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Whiz Palace posted:

I wonder how much they've considered many drivers' complete inability to sit still at a red light.

They'll have decent "hysteresis" programming. Like if you trigger it, wait 5s to shut off. If it kicks in again right after, wait 10s.
I can't remember what I was renting that had it, but it rarely second guessed itself in creeping traffic.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Whiz Palace posted:

At least in the BMWs I've been in, they are smart enough to not trigger the stop/start too soon after a previous stop/start. I think there's at least some logic as to when it gets triggered (oil temp, engine temp, oil pressure, etc). Sometimes it'll kick back on before you've taken your foot off the brake too.

More Stinger GT chat: The Korean reviews have been fairly promising. They think it's the car for the dad who can't have the M3 / M4 due to cost and a Miata / FRS / BR-Z due to having a family. I'm struggling to think of other cheaper RWD sedans in the US market. All I can think of is the Charger?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd def get a stinger if I didn't have such a long drive over mountains so they know their target audience

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

kimcicle posted:

More Stinger GT chat: The Korean reviews have been fairly promising. They think it's the car for the dad who can't have the M3 / M4 due to cost and a Miata / FRS / BR-Z due to having a family. I'm struggling to think of other cheaper RWD sedans in the US market. All I can think of is the Charger?

Yeah, I'm very happy to hear that it sounds like it doesn't just look good and that it actually performs well. Both Motortrend (who generally give pretty positive reviews on Kia) and Car and driver (much less so) were very positive. It also sounds like the car will be even better on the street than at the track which is good.

I'm really curious to see if an aftermarket actually springs up for this car and if Kia left much on the table with the engine.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

They'll have decent "hysteresis" programming. Like if you trigger it, wait 5s to shut off. If it kicks in again right after, wait 10s.
I can't remember what I was renting that had it, but it rarely second guessed itself in creeping traffic.

I had a rented Malibu with it and I didn't feel trolled, but I also don't do stop-and-go traffic ever.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is my experience as well. The Polo I had in Spain was a 5-speed with auto start/stop, but it triggered on clutch-in so by the time I was actually on the gas and letting the clutch back out the engine was always ready to go.

The automatics I've driven with start/stop are a lot more jarring since they have to react to the gas pedal being presssed, but at that point you want to go, not be in the lurch waiting for the engine to get going again. Even though it's less than a second it's really obnoxious.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Deteriorata posted:

https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/02/f8/idle-stop_light_duty_passenger_vehicles.pdf

While it looks great on a dyno, real world driving showed no improvement with the idle stop system.

In principle, it's fine. In reality, it makes little measurable difference and is just one more thing to break. Constant restarting is going to impact battery life, as well, which will offset some of the environmental benefits

Please read the section where they tested the Smart Car in rush hour traffic over a prescribed route, i.e. the closest approximation to what a regular commute would look like in a busy city (which Phoenix is not). Their standard test was 70% highway driving and on average only about 20% of the travel time was spent with the vehicle stopped, so of course it's not going to show a substantial improvement.

" The Smart vehicle that was tested in the separate, prescribed-route test achieved a percent difference in FE values between IS enabled and disabled modes of 9.6% with A/C operating. When an attempt is made to analytically remove the A/C energy consumption, the FE improvement becomes
15.3%. "

Edmunds likewise found the same thing in their testing:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

These systems are also dependent on how you drive (like most fuel economy boosting systems) so if you're constantly trying to close that two foot gap between you and the car in front of you every time traffic moves a little you will see less benefit.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 20, 2017

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
BMW has a probably not well known SIB about programming auto start stop out on cars because a lot of the customers complained that they hated it

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
You can get a rough approximation of relative fuel consumption for different engine states just based on engine vacuum and speed. More vacuum or lower RPMs means (generally) lower fuel consumption. Torque converters are far from perfect, particularly older ones. But you can test it yourself easily rather than just doing the crusty-old-dude assumption.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Guinness posted:

The automatics I've driven with start/stop are a lot more jarring since they have to react to the gas pedal being presssed, but at that point you want to go, not be in the lurch waiting for the engine to get going again. Even though it's less than a second it's really obnoxious.

I rented a Chevy Cruz with it in Boston and it really hosed up my timing trying to pull out in traffic because of the delay. It was borderline dangerous until I finally got used to it and had to wait for longer breaks in traffic than i normally would otherwise. The feature sucks imo, no way I would own a car with it unless I could disable it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

It's annoying if you have a really awesome engine idle, though.

I think there is roughly no overlap between cars with S&S and an awesome idle. Maybe the Focus RS?

Plus you can just turn it off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I bet it's also to show regulators in California that they can do it themselves and to please not force it on us with new rules.

do you mean EU regulators because it's certainly not a California thing

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I rented a Chevy Cruz with it in Boston and it really hosed up my timing trying to pull out in traffic because of the delay. It was borderline dangerous until I finally got used to it and had to wait for longer breaks in traffic than i normally would otherwise. The feature sucks imo, no way I would own a car with it unless I could disable it.

Sure but that's a Cruze which is known to be, well, a bit crap in all areas. I'd wager you wouldn't be so annoyed at the idea if you tried a car with a better system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think there is roughly no overlap between cars with S&S and an awesome idle. Maybe the Focus RS?

Plus you can just turn it off.

Most Porsches have it but luckily it has a button and remembers the setting so you forget it even exists after a while.