Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I just watched a few scenes from the 2017 series so far.

The armour scene is decent and the Grunbeld fight as a whole is ok.

However, let's be blunt, it's not even close to the impact of the original scene.

I'm kinda surprised the 2017 series isn't more of an improvement from the 2016 one. I'd have thought they'd have realised people were saying it was unwatchable garbage and either drastically change approach or not bother, but it's pretty much the same.

Does anyone know how the ratings are in Japan? Do people like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ratings don't mean poo poo, only bluray sales. It apparently did well enough for them to greenlight a second season, which is a real shame. I would hope that people realize now how awful it is and don't buy the new season, but I wouldn't count on it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Begemot posted:

Ratings don't mean poo poo, only bluray sales. It apparently did well enough for them to greenlight a second season, which is a real shame. I would hope that people realize now how awful it is and don't buy the new season, but I wouldn't count on it.

Do they track who buys them? I would really like to know who exactly is responsible, but I'm guessing its going to be a lot of morons in the US. Dub owners or otherwise.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Begemot posted:

Are the investors so incredibly impatient that they'd rather have an inferior product start to make money as soon as humanly possible, rather than waiting a couple months so everything can be properly finished before it airs?
We have a beautiful but not flawless manga with complex story elements that we could discuss at length, but instead here we are debating the merits of a crap anime. If it was attention they wanted, and sooner than later, I'd say their trick worked.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Shierke is the best part of Berserk 2017 and really its only redeeming quality.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

From what i've heard lots of japanese dont watch anime, but they all read manga. Its probably because of poo poo like this.

Thats smart

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Deified Data posted:

Shierke is the best part of Berserk 2017 and really its only redeeming quality.

I forgot how much I liked Serpico. I may actually go back and read through everything from Golden Age on again.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

We're going on hiatus again after the next chapter.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

mabels big day posted:

We're going on hiatus again after the next chapter.

My first hiatus!

:(

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
At least we have a date for when the serialization is supposed to restart, even if it's just "in winter".

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Winter, Nuclear

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Didn't the anime just finish too?

I'm getting the feeling that the anime is just an elaborate plot to get Miura to work on the manga, and is kept lovely on purpose to facilitate that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anime will finish on Friday, I think.

Not fussed about losing the anime, gutted about the manga. Just as we're getting to the juiciest party.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Just as we're getting to the juiciest party.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i almost wish that was autocorrect

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Manga ending at same time as anime makes me think the anime was just a giant ad for Berserk getting serialized again.

Get some more assistants, Miura. Make them do your crosshatching.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Manga going on a hiatus just as they reach the eclipse :argh:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I bought the first two volumes of this on Amazon today! I'd read some of it a long time ago when I was maybe 18 and it was mainly available in awful online scans. I vaguely remember a giant fat man who was very evil. There was also the guy in the hawk(?) helmet who seemed like a poo poo. He may have been impossibly beautiful too so possibly not a poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont know how i knew griffith was a fucker before i had ever even heard of berserk, but i did.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

scary ghost dog posted:

i dont know how i knew griffith was a fucker before i had ever even heard of berserk, but i did.

i mean his visual design alone speaks volumes

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But people in youtube comments say Griffith did nothing wrong.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ccs posted:

But people in youtube comments say Griffith did nothing wrong.

Those people are fascists.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If we consider that all the things he did wrong (everything) are not wrong, Griffith did nothing wrong.

However, they are wrong and Griffith is a poo poo.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

It's interesting that you say that cuz I follow a person who just caught up through the eclipse and they were completely taken aback by what happened. I asked if they just hadn't heard anyone say anything about Griffith and I guess they interpreted all the "gently caress griffith" stuff as... I dunno? Just joking around?

As in, they very much considered it out of the blue and almost uncharacteristic for him to do what he did in the eclipse. I guess I can't rightfully say "how did you not see that coming" because of course by the time I read Berserk I knew mostly what to expect so all along I was like "wow! gently caress him! gently caress him forever!"

It's just very weird to come across people who are new to Berserk but are also totally baffled by the fact that Griffith might be a bad guy.

"Griffith did nothing wrong" stuff just bugs me tho. I feel like I type this over and over but you can find a character interesting and compelling and gently caress I don't know if you want to like a villain, go for it, villains are neat! But... Griffith... did stuff wrong I think

like I think we are given to understand this quite clearly

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

U-DO Burger posted:

You know you want to see their attempt to animate the pirate sea monster as it eats a bunch of Roderick's crew

I want to see them attempt to animate Guts fighting the horde of fish monsters inside the sea god. How badly can they gently caress up the part where he trudges forward through the bone cracking vibrations of its heartbeat?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Schubalts posted:

I want to see them attempt to animate Guts fighting the horde of fish monsters inside the sea god. How badly can they gently caress up the part where he trudges forward through the bone cracking vibrations of its heartbeat?

Guts slowly vibrates forward while a bunch of sea lice slide across the screen.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I can't say I saw the specifics of the Eclipse coming on my first read. Even with the mysticism I couldn't predict that Griffith would have become the weird evil batman looking guy he initial appears as in Guardians of Desire by way of sacrificing the Band of the Hawk to a bunch of demons. I will say that upon reading those chapters it made perfect sense Griffith would do that after reading through the Golden Age arc.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Eclipse is, narratively, amazing. You know that clearly Griffith did something that's utterly horrible, and you can probably guess that it involves sacrifice to the rest of the God Hand, but no good person is ever going to imagine the specifics so it manages to surprise and disgust the audience.

It's really good in how deeply, personally horrible it is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The only remaining question about what Griffith did is whether he did it so he'd have a vessel to be reborn into, or because he just really wanted to gently caress with Guts and he expected Guts and Caska to both die right after he finished.

The latter makes him seem more sadistic. The former makes him seem cruel but also pragmatic.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ccs posted:

The only remaining question about what Griffith did is whether he did it so he'd have a vessel to be reborn into, or because he just really wanted to gently caress with Guts and he expected Guts and Caska to both die right after he finished.

The latter makes him seem more sadistic. The former makes him seem cruel but also pragmatic.

Eh, I don't think it really matters. He's an irredeemable monster either way. It's just as unspeakably cruel if he expected them to survive. Heck, if anything it's even worse!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My favorite part of the Eclipse thing is that you know Griffith did something bad, the whole flashback starts shortly after you see Guts flip his poo poo at Femto. But it's super easy to get wrapped up in the Golden Age and forget that Griffith, despite all the constant refrain that he will do anything to achieve his goals, is kind of a monster and becomes a literal monster. Then suddenly you're at the Eclipse and it just happens.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

It's pretty clearly framed as him raping Guts by proxy for rejecting (and surpassing) him. Poor Casca is just the vehicle for his crush's punishment, just as Charlotte was an outlet for his frustration when Guts first left. It's a big early indicator that he hasn't transcended his humanity nearly as much as he might pretend - for all his newfound godhood, his desires are still grubby little mortal ones.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Nuebot posted:

My favorite part of the Eclipse thing is that you know Griffith did something bad, the whole flashback starts shortly after you see Guts flip his poo poo at Femto. But it's super easy to get wrapped up in the Golden Age and forget that Griffith, despite all the constant refrain that he will do anything to achieve his goals, is kind of a monster and becomes a literal monster. Then suddenly you're at the Eclipse and it just happens.

I knew someone who'd been watching the original anime and basically making fun of it the whole time, like he found it kinda boring and didn't really care about anyone, although Griffith's plotting was interesting enough. One day he said that he was about to start the last four episodes and finally be free so I'd stop bugging him. Couple of hours later I get a text. Turns out he actually cared a bunch, he just didn't realize it until they were all eaten alive by demons.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darth Walrus posted:

It's pretty clearly framed as him raping Guts by proxy for rejecting (and surpassing) him. Poor Casca is just the vehicle for his crush's punishment, just as Charlotte was an outlet for his frustration when Guts first left. It's a big early indicator that he hasn't transcended his humanity nearly as much as he might pretend - for all his newfound godhood, his desires are still grubby little mortal ones.

You know, I completely forgot about poor Charlotte being his first victim.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, that's what we all think when it happens. But what if that was secondary, and firstly was providing a way for him to be reincarnated through Guts and Caska's tainted child?

Either way he's monstrous. It's just a question of motive.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

threeagainstfour posted:

I can't say I saw the specifics of the Eclipse coming on my first read. Even with the mysticism I couldn't predict that Griffith would have become the weird evil batman looking guy he initial appears as in Guardians of Desire by way of sacrificing the Band of the Hawk to a bunch of demons. I will say that upon reading those chapters it made perfect sense Griffith would do that after reading through the Golden Age arc.

This. I didn't see it coming, but I was not surprised. (I was unspoiled going in)

E: i mean i didn't see the actual eclipse coming. Of course, obvious bad guy is bad. But good drat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This is why griffith is such an enduring villain and there are still griffith apologists. It's why we're so invested in guts' revenge story

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm finally getting around to reading Berserk since its been on my bucket list of stuff to get to for like forever now.

Are there any decent podcasts or anything like that to listen to on the side?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Like, berserk-related or just good podcasts?
:confused:

(I can't listen to something like a podcast and really absorb info by reading at the same time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Berserk related, I mean. Like I've seen other series get podcasts devoted to them where the hosts will spend like an hour talking about an individual volume or TV show episode or whatever.