Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh and FWIW if you're getting into those sorts of things you should be aware that a whole bunch of DAWs still don't handle MPE data very well, or at all. Roli keeps a running list here:

https://support.roli.com/article/mpe-compatible-synthesisers/

Of those, my favorite interface is Bitwig. They've got a serious problem with adding new toys and neglecting basic functionality, though, so unless you absolutely need MPE and a clip launcher in the same DAW I'd skip it for now. Or if you just don't happen to need any of those things that are missing (ability to change time signatures in a song, video support, I mean holy gently caress Bitwig these are day one features for any modern DAW you shameful shitbags). ANYWAY, if you don't need any of that stuff Bitwig is pretty loving amazing.

Anyway, if you need something truly full-featured and modern that works with MPE, Logic is probably the best you're going to get. Plus you've got MPE combined with Alchemy and lordy what else do you need?

Is there a reason that fairly popular DAWs like Pro Tools, Ableton, and FL Studio don't have support for MPE yet? I am just surprised to see support in several DAWs, but none of those three.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh and FWIW if you're getting into those sorts of things you should be aware that a whole bunch of DAWs still don't handle MPE data very well, or at all. Roli keeps a running list here:

https://support.roli.com/article/mpe-compatible-synthesisers/

Of those, my favorite interface is Bitwig. They've got a serious problem with adding new toys and neglecting basic functionality, though, so unless you absolutely need MPE and a clip launcher in the same DAW I'd skip it for now. Or if you just don't happen to need any of those things that are missing (ability to change time signatures in a song, video support, I mean holy gently caress Bitwig these are day one features for any modern DAW you shameful shitbags). ANYWAY, if you don't need any of that stuff Bitwig is pretty loving amazing.

Anyway, if you need something truly full-featured and modern that works with MPE, Logic is probably the best you're going to get. Plus you've got MPE combined with Alchemy and lordy what else do you need?

Hmm... that's good to know. I may hold off then, the Seaboard is definitely the most appealing of all of the options out there but I doubt I'd ever be convinced to drop the money on Bitwig. I agree it does a lot of cool things but the company just seems so... inept when it comes to putting out a functional, supported project. I have a friend who tries very hard to use Bitwig in his regular setup, and I ask him every few months how it is, and the answer is almost always "buggy as gently caress" so that scares me too. Also goddamn I'm not ever going to buy another daw, I have too many as is.

I'll just wait til Live has MPE support. I feel like it's one of the likely results of the Cycling '74 acquisition.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 10, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MrSargent posted:

Is there a reason that fairly popular DAWs like Pro Tools, Ableton, and FL Studio don't have support for Roli yet? I am just surprised to see support in several DAWs, but none of those three.

The stars are not aligned like they were for MIDI, and MPE isn't 'MIDI'. The MIDI Manufacturers Association only just formed a committee to consider the approach of integrating MPE last year. Why would DAWs go out of their way to implement a proposed standard with a niche target audience?

MockingQuantum posted:

I'll just wait til Live has MPE support. I feel like it's one of the likely results of the Cycling '74 acquisition.

wait what nooooo
hope they don't get Opcode'd :(

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

The stars are not aligned like they were for MIDI, and MPE isn't 'MIDI'. The MIDI Manufacturers Association only just formed a committee to consider the approach of integrating MPE last year. Why would DAWs go out of their way to implement a proposed standard with a niche target audience?

Definitely a fair point, but the niche is getting larger. It may be a few years before there's enough pressure on them to make real progress, but the introduction of more affordable entry level MPE controllers may speed that process up significantly. Fingers crossed!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

wait what nooooo
hope they don't get Opcode'd :(

I doubt they will. Everything points to it being pretty amicable and something both companies were in favor of doing. Zicarelli has had good things to say about it, and it sounds like Cycling is going to pretty much go on working as they have been. Overall looks like Cycling was in a financially difficult position and Ableton didn't want to lose the momentum of M4L development (and I'm sure they benefit from having some say in how Max development is targeted). Cycling employees aren't even changing offices.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I guess I would also say why would MMA (the manufacturers) care about, effectively, a reimplementation of Mode 4. It's not like wind, ribbon, guitar controllers are a new thing. Been a minute since I read the spec but istr provision for dedicated control channels etc. The main novelty for me is the transmitter setting a channel on the receiver but how often does one really give a poo poo about that, also sysex exists.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Startyde posted:

I don't know much about the DAWs that support MPE but did they already support MPE before the wave of the Seaboard Rise and Blocks? Otherwise, why would those implement MPE and not the others?

breaks
May 12, 2001

The development of MPE ended up being kind of a collaborative thing between the people making those instruments and some of the niche daws, and I think Bitwig in particular.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
First attempt at an all hardware jam, audio is the direct feed. Rytm, modular & shruthi xt.
I need a lot more practice, didn't prepare enough kits to use and the modular patch is super basic / a bit limited in range, but it was exceptionally good fun and i'm going to start working on prep for the next this week. Will probably do one every 4 weeks or so and spend more than a few hours prepping.

https://vimeo.com/221112978

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

cubicle gangster posted:

First attempt at an all hardware jam, audio is the direct feed. Rytm, modular & shruthi xt.
I need a lot more practice, didn't prepare enough kits to use and the modular patch is super basic / a bit limited in range, but it was exceptionally good fun and i'm going to start working on prep for the next this week. Will probably do one every 4 weeks or so and spend more than a few hours prepping.

https://vimeo.com/221112978

really enjoying this

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So now that I've got a robust synth collection, I'm finding that I can program them pretty well, I can sequence them pretty well, but I can't play them worth a drat. I took piano lessons for years, including through all of college which wasn't that long ago, but I guess I must have lost a lot of my technique from a few years without playing much. Are there any good resources for keyboard technique specifically for playing synths? Or should I just look to normal piano learning resources? Seems like the approach to making music on a synth (not to mention the physical differences between piano keys and synth keys) might warrant a different approach, but I haven't found anything geared towards synth playing in particular.

Edit: I suppose it's worth mentioning in this context, most of my synths are monosynths & the Minilogue. So a lot of what I want to learn centers around being able to competently improvise mono lines in various "styles" or what have you.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 15, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
using a pedal to turn portamenti on/off, a rocker pedal for cutoff or other modulation are synth specific things
and playing the pitch controllers -- throwing a fast bend at the start of every note adds a lot imo, and its nice to keep your left hand on the mod controller and your right hand on the keys
one last synth specific keyboard technique is the arpeggiator, which is fun and useful with latch on or off, but with it off i feel is more expressive for keyboarding
also, filter sweeps ftw ;)

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I got my Cirklon on Monday and then the Engine cv expansion in the mail on Wednesday, and my wife's been out of town on a business trip, so I've been kind of tunnel vision on sequencing.

I was afraid I was going to dump my Engine when I got the Cirklon, but they are a perfect ying-yang that perfect compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses. The Engine is fun, fast, and "live," while the Cirklon is deep, intense, and methodical. Engine is a scrappy garage band, Cirklon is an orchestra. The Engine is "live," the Cirklon is "studio." They're the two best sequencers that exist, as far as I'm concerned, and I either own or have owned most sequencers (I'm a nut).

Quick pic of the family -

Transistor Rhythm fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 15, 2017

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

really enjoying this

thank you very much!
I have already started doing a little work on the rytm for the second one and have an idea for a eurorack patch that may or may not end up being used for it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I got my Cirklon on Monday and then the Engine cv expansion in the mail on Wednesday, and my wife's been out of town on a business trip, so I've been kind of tunnel vision on sequencing.

I was afraid I was going to dump my Engine when I got the Cirklon, but they are a perfect ying-yang that perfect compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses. The Engine is fun, fast, and "live," while the Cirklon is deep, intense, and methodical. Engine is a scrappy garage band, Cirklon is an orchestra. The Engine is "live," the Cirklon is "studio." They're the two best sequencers that exist, as far as I'm concerned, and I either own or have owned most sequencers (I'm a nut).

Quick pic of the family -

I want to hang out for hours in this room.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Holy Christ I'm in love with the Pyramid; it's intuitive enough for me to just play around with while also having a shitload of depth and capabilities to get into over time. It easily controls everything I have and it's so fun to just sit there and change things. It's definitely my favorite piece of gear I've bought so far; I'm glad I splurged a bit on it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

This is really obvious when you read the labels but the 0-Coast layers really well with like simple square and triangle leads when you turn the knob all the way to "Overtone"

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

MrSargent posted:

I want to hang out for hours in this room.

Holler at me if you're ever in Virginia!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Holler at me if you're ever in Virginia!

I am unfortunately on the other side of the country (in CA) but don't think I'm not taking a mental note of this in case I make it out there.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I should probably stop letting friends talk me into buying samplers, but goddamn I'm loving this ASR-X I picked up.

I really ought to get a rack for my stuff, but not having one is sure curbing my desires to buy more cool rack gear, so thats a plus.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
How do you like the Kastle?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

The Kastle is pretty great, well worth its cheap price. Good for adding some drone and its stepped generator is killer for actually getting something musical out of it. I got a Pocket Operator as well (I can't resist the cheap stuff) and I've been throwing that and the kastle in my bag lately if I want something to mess with out of the house.

It'd probably be even cooler if I had some modular stuff for it to mess with, but I've avoided burning my money on that so far.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

vkeios posted:

It'd probably be even cooler if I had some modular stuff for it to mess with, but I've avoided burning my money on that so far.
the more money you spend trying to avoid getting a modular is just more money youre wasting not buying modules :getin:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Yeah but the more money I spend on modules, the less I'd have for buying samplers. Also I'm a super cheap rear end, so I like just buying old garbage.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

finally put away some money to get myself something new, i'm still on the hunt for a sequencer or something but I have narrowed it down to three options:

1. Get a Thunderbolt to USB adapter + midi interface and use an iPad with Modstep
2. Electribe 2 (or if i can find a cheap functioning EMX)
3. Beatstep Pro

I wish I had a synth place nearby to actually touch this stuff before spending $300ish :(

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

vkeios posted:

Yeah but the more money I spend on modules, the less I'd have for buying samplers. Also I'm a super cheap rear end, so I like just buying old garbage.
how many 612s u got? :3:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just dove on an Electribe 2, someone accepted a $235 offer on Reverb. I finally have a brain!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

how many 612s u got? :3:

I spent quality time with two 612's this weekend. I love 'em.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I spent quality time with two 612's this weekend. I love 'em.

hands down my favorite sampler

i keep wondering if i should get a tyme sefari but i just play the 612 instead so far.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hands down my favorite sampler

i keep wondering if i should get a tyme sefari but i just play the 612 instead so far.

I got mine for $25 each back in 2003. I'd love to get a few more but I'm afraid to look at what they go for now! Seriously the most fun "analog" sampler made. So simple, so great. I've made entire tracks out of playing the sliders on one loop.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

do u have an md 280?

i have one but im not too big on it, its just more fun to get new samples but its fun to hear jokes as old as i am on the weirdest format of floppy disc ever invented

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

This looks cool (its real)

e; https://www.roland.com/global/products/se-02/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Must be doing something right if it's producing takes as hot as this

https://twitter.com/Chris_Randall/status/877149687412686848

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tayter Swift posted:

Must be doing something right if it's producing takes as hot as this

https://twitter.com/Chris_Randall/status/877149687412686848

Yes, let's, because that poo poo is cool as hell. I mean, like everything else that ever comes up in this thread, I'll never afford it, but it's pretty drat rad regardless.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
No hot takes intended but as long as this crap keeps Studio Electronics in business I'm all for it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

i guess the real question is who *aint* putting out a minimoog clone soon?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
That demo video of the Roland SE-02 sounds purdy :allears:.

On the one hand, I'm not thrilled that they put it into the Boutique form factor instead of a more robust traditional desktop case or something like Eurorack. On the other, it's $500 and I can respect the almost "so you punks didn't like the Boutiques, huh? You said they're expensive toys? Well gently caress you! We're making a $500 analog. But we're making it a Boutique motherfuckers. We're gonna keep loving you with Boutiques until you love it" attitude behind sticking with the format. At this point there are a bunch out there, although the proprietary mini keyboard and its connection remain laughable. They wouldn't be any less portable as Waldorf-esque MIDI modules and I'm not sold on compatibility with a plastic kickstand "dock" as being much of a feature.

I wonder if Roland kept it from being Eurorack because the System-1m and System 500 exist. Did both of those flop? They both look really neat in different ways but they seem to have disappeared from discussion, in a way that the Aira effect modules haven't.

Trig Discipline posted:

Definitely a fair point, but the niche is getting larger. It may be a few years before there's enough pressure on them to make real progress, but the introduction of more affordable entry level MPE controllers may speed that process up significantly. Fingers crossed!

Apropos of this, Roli announced Seabord Block the other day.

Each one is $299(!), which is way cheaper than the Rise. AFAIK it has all of the same expressive capability and is modular + expandable like all the other Blocks stuff.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017...ign=rel_stories
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/06/15/roli-seaboard-block-first-look/

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I'm thrilled they put it in the boutique form factor since I have an open USB spot on my MX-1.

Something else to consider though is that they said this is only the first of the new boutique line so maybe we'll see versions with the CS-80 and SEM filters since Studio Electronics makes them already.

Still would love Roland to put out a sampler that combines ACB filter types with their variphrase tech.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

I'm bummed that Roland is outsourcing this stuff to companies that make incredibly un-Roland sounding instruments (Malekko, Reon, SE) instead of making stuff that's full of character or at least partnering with companies that DO make Roland-sounding stuff (Cwejman, Ken MacBeth, Intellijel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I mentioned this to a friend and his response was "Man, they barely waited until the founder's body was cold before going back to analog"...