Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It definitely puts them in an awkward place. Hopefully, the tech update straightens things out a bit but until then Clan light and medium brawlers are sort of screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
I've had moderate success with a shadowcat-B with 3x SRM 6's and 2 flamers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah clans are totally hosed in scouting. The ER ML and MPL are both too hot and burn too long already and both are getting nerfed. Twin LPLs or PPCs get pushed down with nothing nearby to support. Stormcrow isn't allowed so all the clan mechs are really fragile, the only good light is the ACH and only the SPLs make that good. The one remaining option is the SRM HMN, but that loses a fight to a GRF-2N or 3M or Cent or Shadowhawk or BSW ten times out of ten if the pilots are even remotely the same skill level.

The Saddest Robot posted:

I did a scouting match in my Urbanmech.

How the gently caress did you do 287 team damage? I can't in my wildest dreams imagine that. Usually you're either coring someone out from behind on purpose immediately and the damage is very low or you shoot them a little and then they turn around and murderate you back. That's my real question. I can barely imagine doing that much in a 12v12 let alone with only three teammates.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm surprised you only lost 2 teammates with that.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

aniviron posted:

How the gently caress did you do 287 team damage? I can't in my wildest dreams imagine that. Usually you're either coring someone out from behind on purpose immediately and the damage is very low or you shoot them a little and then they turn around and murderate you back. That's my real question. I can barely imagine doing that much in a 12v12 let alone with only three teammates.

When Urbanmech gets going Urbanmech doesn't care who is in it's crosshairs. Destruction must ensue. Urbanmech don't stop until it or everything else is DESTROYED.

(My team may have been hit by one or two friendly artillery strikes)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All my favorite moments in MWO involved piloting an urbanmech.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
yes, stock griffin 2n, you can brawl those four novas by yourself

chase your dreams o7

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Anyone want to try running some comp stuff at some point? 8v8s and forced 2/2/2/2 seems pretty cool.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Commoners posted:

Anyone want to try running some comp stuff at some point? 8v8s and forced 2/2/2/2 seems pretty cool.

I'm down, but scheduling might be a bitch.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Dear God. 7 Skill trees! I dont even know where to start, plus i seem to get tons of refunds but god knows what spend them on. Think i might just go slowly for now...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

by.a.teammate posted:

Dear God. 7 Skill trees! I dont even know where to start, plus i seem to get tons of refunds but god knows what spend them on. Think i might just go slowly for now...

Fill out everything in survival that isn't AMS. That should take you a while and once you're done doing that follow where your robot nose leads you.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Commoners posted:

I would also be down for this, provided we could get a half decent group together.

by.a.teammate posted:

You're driving the Firestarter, right? You probably want something like this Skill Tree. It's very close to the Wolfhound one I posted earlier, but with the Armor Hardening nodes swapped out for Skeletal Density to take advantage of the structure quirks the Firestarter is receiving in the patch later today.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 20, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

by.a.teammate posted:

Quick and dirty guide to the skill tree, will be good enough for 90% of all mechs:

- Jump Jets: Never buy
- Consumables: Do you have infinite CBills? If yes, max the heck out of everything and go p2w your way to glory, otherwise just take the first node.
- Agility: Drop into Testing Grounds with your mech and move around a bit. Is the torso sluggish? Buy the left-hand side of the tree. Is the acceleration/deceleration slow? Buy the right-hand side.
- Sensors: Get both ECM nodes if applicable. Then, get both seismic sensors if your weapons have 500m range or less. Then, if you don't have ECM, get 100% radar deprivation, unless you go 100kph+, in which case get 60% (left-hand side). Add Target Decay for LRM and streak boats.
- Survival: If you're light or medium AND have long-range weapons (500m+), skip it. If you're a heavy brawler or any assault, buy both sides. Otherwise, buy left side only. If you have AMS, do get the relevant nodes.
- Operations: If you have more than 10 heatsinks, unlock up to the two top branches. If you have 20+ heatsinks, unlock the rest.
- Firepower: Beeline for the coloured hexes that are relevant to your build (except UAC jam chance and Gauss charge, which suck). If you still have spare nodes after all of that, buy heat gen nodes.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 20, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Addendum: if your mech has a large amount of armor and/or heavy armor quirks, go hard into the survival tree because you can get some ridiculous hp numbers.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Commoners posted:

I am interested but seeing I'm EU the scheduling would probably be hard.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
With the new changes to lasers coming today should I be switching my C-Med Pulse Lasers to C-ER Med Lasers? Saw a few posts on the MWO forums talking about the C-ERML's being better after the patch?

quote:

Clan ER Medium Laser
• Cooldown duration increased to 3.5 (From 3)
• Duration increased to 1.25 (from 1.15)

Clan Medium Pulse Laser
• Damage reduced to 7.5 (From 8)
• Heat reduced to 5 (From 6)
• Duration increased to 0.9 (from 0.85)

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 20, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You mean switching your ERMLs to MPLs? Because right now the ERML is better.

But no, post patch you should still be using the ERML over the MPL in almost all situations. The Clan ERML is the best all-around weapon in the game and it'll remain so after the patch.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Skippy McPants posted:

You mean switching your ERMLs to MPLs? Because right now the ERML is better.

But no, post patch you should still be using the ERML over the MPL in almost all situations. The Clan ERML is the best all-around weapon in the game and it'll remain so after the patch.

Oh, I thought clan pulses in general were better than clan er's.

What makes the C-ERML better than the C-MPL?

edit:

Oh, and I was also thinking of getting a Supernova -C for laservomit. Is it worth it or is there a better assault to go laser vomit?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 20, 2017

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Agrajag posted:

Oh, I thought clan pulses in general were better than clan er's.

What makes the C-ERML better than the C-MPL?

Range, heat and weight.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

TeeMerk posted:

Range, heat and weight.

doesn't the duration have a huge impact for lasers?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Agrajag posted:

Yeah, I'm not as big a fan as some people are due to duration. Range is great, but if your duration is all over the place you'll have a hard time holding it to a specific location or even getting the whole burst on target.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agrajag posted:

Not really, just means you have a little more face time and have to hold on target better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Like, I've had plenty of times when I've gotten hosed up by someone boating cERML or cERLL. The thing is it's usually in the context of getting two torsos and maybe an arm with a poo poo ton of armor damage.

Turn the corner on someone boating pulse lasers, especially IS ones? One location, armor breached if not just blown off.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Not really, just means you have a little more face time and have to hold on target better.

Face time is a huge deal. If you're staring at the enemy you're not twisting. It's the difference between trading 30 (or whatever, numbers out of my rear end) damage to his CT (assuming you have perfect aim) while also taking an equal amount of damage to your own CT or plugging his then twisting to spread your damage to non essential places.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Targets also have a chance to twist damage out of longer duration lasers, especially if they see it coming.

Clan laser vomit is mostly just about pumping as much damage as possible with just a little more exposure than PPFLD builds.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Agrajag posted:

It does, but 0.9 over 1.25 is not an enormous difference. Likewise for the Range: 330 vs 450 is not the end of the world.

What really sets them apart is the tonnage. 1 ton for ERMLs vs. 2 for MPLs is huge because laser boats tend to spend most of their tonnage on packing in heatsinks. So the question is less, "is 1 MPL better than 1 ERML?" and more "is 1 MPL better than 1 ERML and 1 DHS." The answer is almost always no.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 20, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My experience is I get way more kills running a hot MPL build than heat efficient medium lasers. The face time and shorter duration is real.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Toss as many mpl's as I can on the K9, yes?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Agrajag posted:

Toss as many mpl's as I can on the K9, yes?

That looks like the best plan so far.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
NINE of the new IS MPLs on a Hunch4p with full skill tree tilted toward lasers, cooldown and heat management is a thing of beauty. The only sad thing is the lack of range and IS has no targeting computer to slap in there. Ah well. Ill take my 1200+ damage games anyway.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Slayerjerman posted:

NINE of the new IS MPLs on a Hunch4p with full skill tree tilted toward lasers, cooldown and heat management is a thing of beauty. The only sad thing is the lack of range and IS has no targeting computer to slap in there. Ah well. Ill take my 1200+ damage games anyway.

how the gently caress are you fitting any heat sinks at all on a 9mpl build?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Never mind, got it to fit. XL engines are a thing :downs:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is a Hunchie-IIC with 4x LBX-2 + 2x ERML a terrible idea?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, because you could be running UAC2s and do double the damage while not spreading it everywhere.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Is a Hunchie-IIC with 4x LBX-2 + 2x ERML a terrible idea?

If you're going to do that just do it with 4 UAC2.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I've run 4 UAC2s a few times, and that was spreading the damage everywhere (made funny fireworks-like sounds, though. Especially with zaku's sound pack.)

I thought the LBX-2's single shot would do better, as long as I stay within close range - which I will since I'll be playing scouting for the challenge. Don't the LBX-2 have significantly better spread than the bigger cannons?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

They do, but they still have some spread compared to a UAC2 shell which goes exactly where you point it, providing you're leading your target.

They also don't double fire, which is a lot of what makes UAC2s good right now.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The K-9 is a horrific death machine. 5 MPL seemed like the optimal choice, but 5ML, STD 180, and 14 heat sinks is a loving death machine. Being able to deadside with an urbanmech is horrific, and even if you lose both sides you can still blast people with your two CT lasers.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

aniviron posted:

They do, but they still have some spread compared to a UAC2 shell which goes exactly where you point it, providing you're leading your target.

They also don't double fire, which is a lot of what makes UAC2s good right now.

I think uac2's no longer get crit bonuses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Anticheese posted:

I think uac2's no longer get crit bonuses though.

Doesn't matter. The double fire more than makes up for that.

• Locked thread