Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Seems the prevailing logic for AOC is to join the yellow faction and steam roll the other factions till everyone deserts the server.

Rinse and repeat as each new server comes online.

Saddened by that, as the game was legit fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Ludo Friend posted:

Seems the prevailing logic for AOC is to join the yellow faction and steam roll the other factions till everyone deserts the server.

Rinse and repeat as each new server comes online.

Saddened by that, as the game was legit fun.

The fallacy is that it is up to the steamroller. It is up to the object... whether it will be flattened or not, and I can tell from the small interaction we've had already, you won't be flattened by anybody.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Art of Conquest is a fun game. We should pick a server and a color and have a goon guild.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Agreed. But also on the server I am on. :(

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Art of Conquest is a fun game. We should pick a server and a color and have a goon guild.

I haven't checked out the game yet but how the hell is using the server system in a mobile game a thing in TYOOL 2017?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

cliffdiver posted:

I haven't checked out the game yet but how the hell is using the server system in a mobile game a thing in TYOOL 2017?

Yeah, put me in the same instance as folks who've been grinding for months on end! I can't foresee any way this would backfire.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Mr.PayDay posted:

I will check this out. Do you happen to remember or are you even inspired by "A Rockstar ate my hamster" on Amiga500? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Star_Ate_My_Hamster

Ha yeah I think I may have played it back in the day on the C64. I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into the same controversy: "an irate parent had taken objection to one of the jokes in the spoof newspaper included in the box and W H Smiths pulled the game from their shelves"

Gegil posted:

Picked this up, please ear mark my .99 towards the purchase of a beer

Cheers! And thanks for your bug report, I appreciate it. If anyone else gets stuck on the map just take a screenshot and i'll have a look under the hood.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Snowmankilla posted:

Agreed. But also on the server I am on. :(

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah, put me in the same instance as folks who've been grinding for months on end! I can't foresee any way this would backfire.

Ok, I've set up a new character on Dunekirk, one of the servers that only got switched on this week. Start a new character in the Kingdom of Athaly and we'll see about starting a goon guild.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Ok, I've set up a new character on Dunekirk, one of the servers that only got switched on this week. Start a new character in the Kingdom of Athaly and we'll see about starting a goon guild.

Just made a character on that server. BiggieSmalls

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

Is someone making this guild? I'm in this server now also. I goes by the name TinaTurner69.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Just made a character on that server. BiggieSmalls

I'm BiggusDickus. So far I've made it to Fableton, which is controlled by a relatively open guild called True Order. Once we level enough my hope is we can topple a city and install goon leadership.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I just started over there as well. Mad I wasted like 4 days and 99 cents in the other server. Hopefully we can pop poo poo off over here.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I'm in as DontMindMe

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can someone who has played this for more than a couple hours start the guild? Or do we have to be x level to start a guild?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

cliffdiver posted:

it's still common in leaderboard games where there's basically no way to catch up to the top players if you weren't there from the very start, due to time-locked rewards and events. it's a pretty good idea in general imo, since it gives latecomers a chance to be the top of the food chain even if they missed launch week

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Can someone who has played this for more than a couple hours start the guild? Or do we have to be x level to start a guild?

Fine, I've created Art of Goonquest.

Our first order of business needs to be capturing a city. I'd suggest Ashenwald. The above map is everything I can see at level 6. Heaps of unclaimed territory on this server.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

Our first order of business needs to be capturing a city. I'd suggest Ashenwald. The above map is everything I can see at level 6. Heaps of unclaimed territory on this server.

Applied as TinaTurner69.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Dunekirk server, kingdom of Athaly (light blue) it is. For those who wish to join, here are some things you should know:
There are three main heroes to choose from, Ice witch, gladiator, or knight.
Ice witch has some very strong AoE spells and can eventually learn to cast them several times per battle, dealing massive damage around her. Unfortunately that means she guzzles down mana like it's water and will routinely run out.
Gladiator is a strong tank with good survivability and an AoE skill that leaves him exposed. His last skill hamstrings him as much as it helps him though, and he's outclassed as a tank by the paladin you'll get later.
Knight can eventually learn to command three troops instead of two, which is a really strong ability.

If you pick witch first you'll recruit gladiator at the very beginning, but never get knight unless you buy it with :10bux: The other first choices form a circular permutation of this setup, so choose your hero based on which one you do NOT care for. I'd start with knight if I could, which leads me to my next point:
You can't start over. Ever. Your choice of first character is final and applied to every server you decide to join. Choose carefully.
When you choose a server you have to choose a kingdom, that's your faction. You can choose a different one on each server, but you cannot change it. Ever. So if you join Dunekirk, pick Athaly (light blue) to play with goons.

Guilds work like this: there are cities all over the map, which are defended by inactive AI castles until players raze them all. Once a city is empty, anyone who resides in the starting town of their faction can claim that city for themselves, in which case they become the lord of that city and the leader of a new guild. To enter the guild, players have to then move to the city. It's actually the other way around, you join the guild first, then move in. But whatever. Obviously, city lord positions are in high demand, and it often happens that people will try to ninja cities, either from another faction that did the work of sapping the defenses, or even from another guild of their own faction.

I'm gonna stop the wall of text here, this isn't the thread for it, but if someone wants to create one feel free to c/p it and modify to suit your needs.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. Applied to guild

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 20, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

in as mojangles, art of goonquest isn't showing up in the search for houses, is there a number for it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

in as mojangles, art of goonquest isn't showing up in the search for houses, is there a number for it?

oh, you need to get through the tutorial first. Also it's case sensitive. Applied.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 20, 2017

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Applied as Orvin in Art of Conquest

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Applied as Nebraska Jones.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

You're all in. Level up and start attacking Ashenwald.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Applied as Largepotato

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

You're all in. Level up and start attacking Ashenwald.

Can you give a brief explanation of what that entails and what levels we should be/army strength before trying? Thanks.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Dunekirk server, kingdom of Athaly (light blue) it is. For those who wish to join, here are some things you should know:
Ice witch has some very strong AoE spells and can eventually learn to cast them several times per battle, dealing massive damage around her. Unfortunately that means she guzzles down mana like it's water and will routinely run out.
Gladiator is a strong tank with good survivability and an AoE skill that leaves him exposed. His last skill hamstrings him as much as it helps him though, and he's outclassed as a tank by the paladin you'll get later.
Knight can eventually learn to command three troops instead of two, which is a really strong ability.

If you pick witch first you'll recruit gladiator at the very beginning, but never get knight unless you buy it with :10bux: The other first choices form a circular permutation of this setup, so choose your hero based on which one you do NOT care for. I'd start with knight if I could, which leads me to my next point:
You can't start over. Ever. Your choice of first character is final and applied to every server you decide to join. Choose carefully.
When you choose a server you have to choose a kingdom, that's your faction. You can choose a different one on each server, but you cannot change it. Ever. So if you join Dunekirk, pick Athaly (light blue) to play with goons.

Guilds work like this: there are cities all over the map, which are defended by inactive AI castles until players raze them all. Once a city is empty, anyone who resides in the starting town of their faction can claim that city for themselves, in which case they become the lord of that city and the leader of a new guild. To enter the guild, players have to then move to the city. It's actually the other way around, you join the guild first, then move in. But whatever. Obviously, city lord positions are in high demand, and it often happens that people will try to ninja cities, either from another faction that did the work of sapping the defenses, or even from another guild of their own faction.

I'm gonna stop the wall of text here, this isn't the thread for it, but if someone wants to create one feel free to c/p it and modify to suit your needs.

Why is my character in the other side of the world? How do I start in Dunkirk?

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I'm somehow in Skarn! How do I change my location?

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I'm on Dunkirk as GoodchildSA, but I joined Hyral by accident. To switch Kingdoms does anyone know what I need to do?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Can you give a brief explanation of what that entails and what levels we should be/army strength before trying? Thanks.

Yeah, sure.

Basically, you pick a city either in No Man's Land of held by a rival kingdom and then tap it. You'll see a series of hexes, and each of the occupied ones will represent an enemy wall you can attack. Through multiple attacks, you eventually reduce the wall's health to 0. You also loot the cities while you do this.

The game sets a minimum combat power you need to hit in order to launch an attack, and you'll probably want to be higher than that just to prevent casualties.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Goodchild posted:

I'm on Dunkirk as GoodchildSA, but I joined Hyral by accident. To switch Kingdoms does anyone know what I need to do?

I think you're hosed if you join the wrong kingdom. :(

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Applied as Dire Wolf

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Coq au Nandos posted:

Applied as snowmankilla.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

I think you're hosed if you join the wrong kingdom. :(

I have the same problem, and found this on the faq:

Can I switch to a different kingdom?

After initially choosing a kingdom, there is currently no way to switch. You can try playing as a member of a different kingdom by making a new character on a different realm.

e: I'm deleting the application and downloading when I get home. I didn't link it to anything so it should lose my info. What a pain

Chakan fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 20, 2017

Ludo Friend
Aug 2, 2012

Chakan posted:

I have the same problem, and found this on the faq:

Can I switch to a different kingdom?

After initially choosing a kingdom, there is currently no way to switch. You can try playing as a member of a different kingdom by making a new character on a different realm.

e: I'm deleting the application and downloading when I get home. I didn't link it to anything so it should lose my info. What a pain

The only way I found round it, was to download it on my wife's phone, link the new account to my Facebook, and then switch to the Facebook account on my own phone. Was the equivalent of a clean reset.

There's no other way to Change faction.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Applied to goonquest as Malt

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Age of Conquest is pretty fun.

I tried searching for the guild but could not find it. How do i know when i am out of the tutorial? (I have level 4 castle now)

Curious to see how bad the IAP requirements will be later. The patron pack you can get seems like an alright deal, is that like a monthly sub?

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Applied to AoC guild as Noodles. Let's see how long this game lasts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I generally have no patience for how bad iOS games are and I Iike AoC.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's still common in leaderboard games where there's basically no way to catch up to the top players if you weren't there from the very start, due to time-locked rewards and events. it's a pretty good idea in general imo, since it gives latecomers a chance to be the top of the food chain even if they missed launch week

Never considered it that way. I always just assumed the entire point of mobile games was to not separate the playerbase but I see how it could be helpful for new players. Picked this up and applied as filthygramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Applied to Art of Goonquest as cagehead

Edit:

Someone in chat posted codes to get a ton of resources.

ty6n98pzgb
tywcbw8mwj
tyuqms9k4n
tyz4p72nw8

In the account settings there is a redeem option

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 20, 2017