Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

It's Christmas in June. gently caress Dan Gilbert.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So was griffin good or are we just kneejerk reacting to something Gilbert did

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ramadu posted:

Griffin seems to have been spontaneously fired in the middle of negotiating a major trade and LeBron is unhappy. That is to what we are reacting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ramadu posted:

Ramadu posted:

Lebron was in cle before and they didn't win poo poo

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Ramadu posted:

Lebron isn't happy so it's bad

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I am embracing The Process. Cavs 19' pick is Top Ten protected to the Hawks. We own all our 1st's after that. Gotta tank real hard in 2019 and just play out the poo poo contracts of JR, TT and crew. We'll be back!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

euphronius posted:

Lebron was in cle before and they didn't win poo poo

Yea but any gm is good when they have lebron but like he doesn't have any other assets

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ramadu posted:

Yea but any gm is good when they have lebron but like he doesn't have any other assets

To sum up why it's so funny, in case you didn't have time to read the good stuff before people started talking about cutting the cheese for 2 pages:

- Gilbert let Griffin go without consulting Lebron
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/876964830510551040
https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/876973020866367488

- All signs point to Chauncey Billups becoming the new Gm
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/877011697323704320
https://twitter.com/NationCLE/status/876959962731335681

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Also Griff was able to snag useful players that fit very well like J.R., Shump, Frye and Korver with basically no ammo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cool Buff Man posted:

To sum up why it's so funny, in case you didn't have time to read the good stuff before people started talking about cutting the cheese for 2 pages:

- Gilbert let Griffin go without consulting Lebron
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/876964830510551040
https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/876973020866367488

- All signs point to Chauncey Billups becoming the new Gm
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/877011697323704320
https://twitter.com/NationCLE/status/876959962731335681

Man I get that Kyrie and Love are lightyears ahead of anything he had the first time around but that is an ugly front office and coaching situation

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cavs eyeing PG and Butler, will probably end up with Rondo or Ellis

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The fart jokes are extremely bad

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The timing of the firing also plays into why it is so bad. The guy got fired three days before the draft for a reason that seems to have been stewing inside gilbert's colons for a while now. If he wanted him out so badly he should've done it a week earlier instead of kicking the pilot out of the airplane right before they are about to start descending

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
So outside the Brooklyn Nets disaster zone, Orlando is the worst situation in the league by far right?

Elfrid Payton - maybe the 25th best pg in the league
Evan Fournier - archetypal good stats, bad team scorer
Terrence Ross - athletic 3&D, without the D (and only kinda the 3)
Aaron Gordon - dunks
Nikola Vucevic - could be a top-15 center... if it was 1994

Bismack Biyombo - the homeless man's Dikembe Mutombo ($51m for three more years)
DJ Augustin - an NBA player making $7m
Mario Hezonja - last seen on the side of a milk carton
CJ Watson - they sure have a lot of replacement level point guards don't they?
and a bunch of filler

They don't even have much cap room (about $12m if they renounce everyone), because Fournier, Vucevic and Biyombo are all on fat contracts. This is the last year Gordon and Payton are on their rookie deals too, so they will need to decide about them next summer and keeping both of them would eat almost all their cap flexibility in the 2018 off-season.

They badly need to hit on the 6th pick in this draft otherwise they have no-one worth mentioning at all and no room to sign anyone impactful this summer, and likely next summer too. Even if they take the blow it up route, what are they going to get? Fournier could be 4th/5th starter on a playoff team but his deal is $17m a year until 2021 so no-one is going to give up much of anything for him.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 20, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His contract was over next week and they couldn't agree on a salary for the next contract plus ideological differences

Seems like a normal timeline idk

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Metapod posted:

The fart jokes are extremely bad

And with funny things actually happening in the league

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gilbert is a total idiot I mean i get that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Griffin was able to do and get whatever that team needed with little to no actual assets.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Not to take away from hilarious this is, but I would not pay much attention to any of the crazy poo poo someone says on NBA countdown, a show where people are payed to say crazy poo poo about basketball.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

His contract was over next week and they couldn't agree on a salary for the next contract plus ideological differences

Seems like a normal timeline idk

This is like the most important time of the year for a GM, they probably should have had something figured out awhile ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

Griffin was able to do and get whatever that team needed with little to no actual assets.

Well he had Wiggins but after that it was kind of miraculous.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MourningView posted:

This is like the most important time of the year for a GM, they probably should have had something figured out awhile ago.

I'm sure Gilbert has been choosing the color of font for a while now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not uncommon for teams to have front office turnover in June since contracts end 6/30 . It probably should be in august but :shrug:

Gilbert is a idiot and cutting off his nose to spite his face tho I get that .

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

tanglewood1420 posted:

So outside the Brooklyn Nets disaster zone, Orlando is the worst situation in the league by far right?

This team just seems like a lighter version of the Pistons. They needed several of their picks to turn into stars and none of them have.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The timing of the firing also plays into why it is so bad. The guy got fired three days before the draft for a reason that seems to have been stewing inside gilbert's colons for a while now. If he wanted him out so badly he should've done it a week earlier instead of kicking the pilot out of the airplane right before they are about to start descending

The coach and management of Cleveland has always just been figureheads to Lebron right? I mean like what do either of those jobs actually entail other than keeping Lebron happy and orchestrating what he wants? They need a 4th superstar to compete with the Warriors and they don't have the assets or cap to get one so they are probably doomed. I don't see how that's Cleveland's GM's fault though, unless he's expected to fleece other people to keep his job.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Fox Sports has an article about things that could derail a Warriors Dynasty. #2 behind injury, is "all the good assistant coaches leave"

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/golden-state-warriors-nba-dynasty-offseason-062017

I know coaching and support staff are important, but I can't think of any great NBA teams that fell apart because of a lack of assistant coaches, both because it seems like there is a pretty big pool of them out there, and because a championship team is going to be a draw for good staff, even if some of them leave.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
David griffin was very good at the technical things of the salary cap, maximizing trade exceptions that both gained very good role players while saving the cavs money.

He was a really, really good gm for that team.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Lebron might be the one walking into the office going Get me kyle korver and the guy whose office it belonged to did the obeying but the 29 other teams in the league do not humor every little whim and desire that comes out of lebron. You still need someone with the title to get on the phone and do all the wooing and figure out all the math and paperworks. And firing someone who listened to lebron doesn't seem like a good move to appease lebron.

Billups might end up doing the same and defer to lebron so the last point might not matter as much but who knows if billups would be as good in figuring out how to actually make lebron's wishes come true.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Billups might end up doing the same and defer to lebron so the last point might not matter as much but who knows if billups would be as good in figuring out how to actually make lebron's wishes come true.

I'm guessing Billups' sole priority is going to be helping Gilbert avoid luxury / repeater tax and to cut off Lebron's influence in the front office. If they wanted someone willing to defer to Lebron, why not keep Griffin?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

glowing-fish posted:

Fox Sports has an article about things that could derail a Warriors Dynasty. #2 behind injury, is "all the good assistant coaches leave"

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/golden-state-warriors-nba-dynasty-offseason-062017

I know coaching and support staff are important, but I can't think of any great NBA teams that fell apart because of a lack of assistant coaches, both because it seems like there is a pretty big pool of them out there, and because a championship team is going to be a draw for good staff, even if some of them leave.

The Pels' defense was noticeably worse after Mike Malone left. It would have been bad regardless because of personnel changes, but it was worse than it should have been.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Plus Dan Gilbert didn't let him interview for the Buck job but just let him go when it's too late.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Anals of History posted:

I'm guessing Billups' sole priority is going to be helping Gilbert avoid luxury / repeater tax and to cut off Lebron's influence in the front office. If they wanted someone willing to defer to Lebron, why not keep Griffin?

Yeah that's what logic points to which makes it bad for cleveland fans and humorous for everyone else. instead of 3-1 it's going to be a whole year of reporters asking after every bad cav lose going hey lebron are you going to re sign???

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/sources-out-of-cleveland-say-jimmy-butler-will-push-for-trade-to-cavs/

Jimmy Butler's mouthpiece in Chicago speaks.

Jimmy Cowley posted:

Jimmy Butler Cleveland-bound picked up even more momentum on Tuesday.

According to multiple sources out of Cleveland, not only have Cavaliers players – including LeBron James and Kyrie Irving – been reaching out to Butler directly and through back channels over the last five days to gauge his interest, but liked what they heard back from the Bulls three-time All-Star.

One of the sources indicated that Butler would even push his front office to get the deal done, which is a huge change of direction for Butler, who has told both general manager Gar Forman and VP of basketball operations John Paxson numerous times over the last year that he didn’t want to be traded.

Then again, that was before the Eastern Conference powerhouse Cavaliers became a possible destination.

A Bulls source indicated that the message coming out of the meetings with both Butler and Wade was the “Three Alphas’’ storyline is played out.

While Butler and Wade personally have no problem with Rajon Rondo, they would like a proven outside threat at that point guard position to open up the floor.

The Sun-Times reported last week that Butler has been in the ear of free agent point guard Kyle Lowry about coming to Chicago since the two played on Team USA last summer, and now there’s a new name in the mix.

All-Star Kyrie Irving has been contacting some of his former Team USA teammates and letting them know that he might be willing to push for a trade, especially if he feels the Cavs’ run could end quickly with James able to opt out after next season.

Through back channels, Chicago would be one of the places that Irving would be interested to play.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Please don't do this Suns

https://twitter.com/dustinfox37/status/877151037811032064

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Do this Suns! Do this Cavs!

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Don't do it Suns. Trade love for melo billups

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Cavs would get more than Butler for Kyrie right? He is on a longer contract and younger to help them rebuild. At least one garbage salary going there way would make me OK with it I guess.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/877180741230243840

Do this Knicks! Do it!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Oh shiiiiiittt! Pritchard send over PG and a pick for him! Everyone loves NYC!

Edit: Boom!

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8jo3333

I love having nothing to do at work.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Fake news since everyone knew phil was willing to trade kp months ago. Keep the real stories moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
someone tell me a way the cavs get jimmy buckets and the zinger, i'd love to see those dudes next to lebron

• Locked thread