Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

way to go steve posted:

Well, I'm now at zero out of the last 30 dollar draws. After the luckies and the way I've pulled since anniversary, really hoping things turn around next week. Losing all the time kinda makes you not even want to pull.

I've given up on dollar draws too. Without a rolling bonus to chance or something it's hardly worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The new JS was free to the dynamic duo of Luneth and Fang. Completely effortless for me.

My new favorite thing is to give Orlandeau's RM to Y'shtola so she can get wall up super fast and follow it up with Aetherial Pulse.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Elephant Ambush posted:

The new JS was free to the dynamic duo of Luneth and Fang. Completely effortless for me.

My new favorite thing is to give Orlandeau's RM to Y'shtola so she can get wall up super fast and follow it up with Aetherial Pulse.

I also do this on normal A+ fights a lot now - I'll RW Wall and give Y'shtola the Cid RM and Wrath and by round 6 or so, I'm at a point where I have burst mode active and a medical recast availiable anytime I need it, and by the end I can just spam her BSB.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I barely ever do dollar draws except for realms I suck in and/or when my google survey cents are high enough. It's not worth it. After you've progressed a certain point they're just not gonna do you much good cause even if you get a rainbow it's probably gonna be one of the lower prizes. They're good when you need just about any help you can get. But not when you've got good teams already.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I agree that Dollar Draws are mostly not worth it. I'd prob throw a buck towards each fest banner though, pretty good value if you do get a 5*, but aside from that, it's basically $1 scratch ticket with a 10% chance to win a $1 back.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I got gogos bsb as a dollar pull, which is my only water relic to date. That's made dollar pulls worth it for me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dollar draws are absolutely worth it if you're going to spend money on the game anyway. $30 on dollar draws gets you 30 pulls vs 11 pulls normally, and the chance of going 0/30 is extremely small while the chance of getting 4 or 5 or 6 relics is pretty good (and better than getting the same number of relics on an 11 pull). You also can't do something silly like pull 4 copies of the same SSB you didn't even want in the first place.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Zurai posted:

Dollar draws are absolutely worth it if you're going to spend money on the game anyway. $30 on dollar draws gets you 30 pulls vs 11 pulls normally, and the chance of going 0/30 is extremely small while the chance of getting 4 or 5 or 6 relics is pretty good (and better than getting the same number of relics on an 11 pull). You also can't do something silly like pull 4 copies of the same SSB you didn't even want in the first place.

Or you can go like 0/60 and question their worth :mad:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

victrix posted:

Or you can go like 0/60 and question their worth :mad:

At that point it's not the game, it's you.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its 2 bucks every week. I used to spend so much more than that at the goddamn arcade in my teens

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is it just me or does this game fuckin' love dumping bravery motes on us? Nobody even uses these drat things, give me some vitality motes!

This, but Wisdom.

That said, Bravery is the most-used 3* mote, but the least used 4* mote. Dexterity is least-used 3* but second most-used 4*. Vitality gets second and first, respectively, if for no other reason than loving Berserker spheres :argh:

Snazzy Frocks posted:

its 2 bucks every week. I used to spend so much more than that at the goddamn arcade in my teens

Averages to about $9 a month, not counting special banners. People pay more than that monthly for Square-Enix's other nostalgia-laden cash-cow (FF14) and they don't even get anything for it, just the right to play. :shrug: That's my justification for dropping the hundos every banner, at least.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 19, 2017

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Pander posted:

At that point it's not the game, it's you.

Yeah. I'm not suggesting everyone stops doing dollar draws. Going 0/30 is like a 1% chance. It just sucks feeling like the rng is trolling me at this point.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've only done the XIII Jumpstart battle so far but it was very fun. Three Thunderfalls and three Thunder Gods were too much for it after Vessel of Fate and Shout. It was great stress relief as I couldn't crack the apocalypse version. I hope all JS battles are like that, just the apocalypse ones but max SB bars at the start in case they're too annoying otherwise.

100 gems got me the Golden Hairpin. Those pulls have been a bit bad for me recently but this was a nice one. Always wanted one of those and also it turns out the animation for Frog Drop rules.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

McDragon posted:

I've only done the XIII Jumpstart battle so far but it was very fun. Three Thunderfalls and three Thunder Gods were too much for it after Vessel of Fate and Shout. It was great stress relief as I couldn't crack the apocalypse version. I hope all JS battles are like that, just the apocalypse ones but max SB bars at the start in case they're too annoying otherwise.

100 gems got me the Golden Hairpin. Those pulls have been a bit bad for me recently but this was a nice one. Always wanted one of those and also it turns out the animation for Frog Drop rules.

Yeah, the jump start battles are a lot of fun. It's all just crazy poo poo happening fast, none of that slow measured buildup using lifesiphon and wraths. I find myself using different RMs for them too now that everyone's not chained to MM/DrM, Ace Striker/Battleforged, and Knights Charge/Lionheart. Like I used an ATB RM to get Ovelia full gauge to start the battle, and she got proshellga/stock up before I took a hit. That was neat.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I stopped doing dollar draws, but only because I've sworn off spending money on the game at all. I've got enough of a base to work with for content in the foreseeable future, and they're generous enough with free mythril and lucky draws (we just had six of the loving things up simultaneously) that it sates my urge to pull and keeps me on par with content creep.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Zurai posted:

This. Also, I pulled Quina's BSB off the most recent draw. Doesn't look mind-blowing but solidifies Quina as my IX support-bot.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

IllegallySober posted:

This. Also, I pulled Quina's BSB off the most recent draw. Doesn't look mind-blowing but solidifies Quina as my IX support-bot.

It's not quite as overwhelmingly good as Setzer's or Irvine's, but it's still a random-target full breakdown entry with dual-break commands. It's solid kit.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I managed to beat the whole event, including both Ark battles, but not including Soulcage Raids. But that's a pretty good day's work. And now Squall has a Legend Materia. Can ya believe it?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The ix cm was pretty drat tough. Enough that I wonder if it's bugged. I had shellga, full break, mbd, and lightning res gear on and attacks were still doing 2k+ damage.

I was able to muster enough DPS to zerg it down with mostly Steiner and his BSB and with timely use of Eiko's BSB.

I had a fairly easy time with the A+ and jumpstart though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iamsosmrt posted:

The ix cm was pretty drat tough. Enough that I wonder if it's bugged. I had shellga, full break, mbd, and lightning res gear on and attacks were still doing 2k+ damage.

I was able to muster enough DPS to zerg it down with mostly Steiner and his BSB and with timely use of Eiko's BSB.

I had a fairly easy time with the A+ and jumpstart though.

Nah, that's about standard without Wall. Toss that and Divine Guardian in, and 2k+ becomes 500ish. The problem is if you don't have Divine Guardian.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

fest banners are up my goons

Banner 1:

Rosa USB
Yuffie USB
Yuna USB
Kuja OSB
Raines BSB
Quistis BSB
Garnet BSB2
Firion BSB
Y'shtola BSB
Kuja BSB
Cloud of Darkness SSB
Garnet SSB (Divine Guardian)

Banner 2:

Tifa USB
Eiko USB
Noctis USB
Cloud OSB
Maria BSB
Refia BSB
Vivi BSB
Tifa BSB
Onion Knight BSB
Prishe BSB
Onion Knight SSB (Blowback)
Celes SSB

Banner 3:

Shantotto CSB
Lightning USB
TGCid OSB
Ashe OSB
Lightning BSB2
Shantotto BSB
Raijin BSB
Ashe BSB
Rapha BSB
TGCid BSB
Raijin SSB
TGCid SSB

Banner 4:

Terra USB
Pecil USB
Greg USB
Ramza USB
Pecil BSB
Vaan BSB
Alph BSB
Fujin BSB
Zell BSB
Relm BSB
Ramza SSB (Chant)
Alph SSB

Banner 5:

Warrior of Light CSB
Vanille USB
Tyro OSB (lol)
Agrias OSB
Curilla BSB
Aerith BSB
Agrias BSB
Minfilia BSB
Vanille BSB
Zack BSB
Curilla SSB
Tyro SB (Wall)

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 20, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Dupe city, except banner 3. I swear they design these things with my dupes in mind.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

More importantly, favorite part slots increased from 20 to 60 :toot:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

2 dupes on everything but Banner 1, where I have 4. I really want Quistis OSB, urgh

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm conflicted.

Banner 1 is my jam - all stellar relics there, with my only dupes being elemental gear (Garnet and Kuja BSBs). However, I still lack a good Hastega + Boostga/Faithga, which I could solve by trying for Mog BSB/Reks BSB.

Mog's BSB would be the single thing tempting me away from this banner - Reks BSB and Vaan USB would be really nice though...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Pulling on everything except 3. I have almost everything on it.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I liked banner 4 more before the changes. It's much less of a sure thing for me now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihilarian posted:

2 dupes on everything but Banner 1, where I have 4. I really want Quistis OSB, urgh

That's a holdover - Quistis OSB was changed to Yuna USB for global.

A personal loss for me, I'd have loved a shot at that and I don't really need Yuna's USB other than as a stat stick.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Probably only pulling on 1 and maybe....??? 4...???? Idk

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Give me banner 1 and 4

Schedule in case anyone wanted confirmation on dates:

IllegallySober posted:

More importantly, favorite part slots increased from 20 to 60 :toot:
Cool I can have 56 unused slots instead of 16

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Wait wasn't the orbfest supposed to start today or have I misunderstood something again.

Also probably pulling on all five. 2-3 dupes on every single one but maybe I'll dodge them.

Banner 5 isn't THAT impressive but it has wall so here we loving go again.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Wait wasn't the orbfest supposed to start today or have I misunderstood something again.
It starts today but at 6PM Pacific.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Man, a few of the relics I wanted dropped off. Quistis OSB, Ayame BSB, Larsa BSB to mention some. Might just do a pull on 4, possibly 1 and 3 depending on how the luckies go.

I might actually be able to make a Mog/Celes pull without feeling too guilty, or throw a pull at Reks 2 for Fran and Larsa. Or just throw the Mythril at Cloud USB.

Banner 5 had WoL Chain and Curilla BSB that I'd love to go for, but too many dupes there. Not horrible for Wall chasing, I guess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I have 3 to 5 dupes every banner. The top level stuff is almost all great for me but so many bsb and ssb dupes...

Ugh.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Banner three is my least duped out so it's definitely getting a pull. The changes wrecked some of the other banners so I might throw 1 towards banner 2 for a chance at OK BSB. Really hoping the lucky draws are good to me.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah, nope. This is nowhere as appealing as I thought it would be. I might just save for event banners. Banners 3 would have been great, it's full of things I need that synergize with my gear. But it's also full of dupes and is a complete trap if I pull on it. Banner 2 seems full of decent stuff and has one dupe, but it's mostly full of poo poo for peeps I lack sb's for which is nice. Banner 4 has fantastic stuff, but 3 things I don't want and a dupe I know I'll get.

So maybe a pull on banner 2? I won't bother skipping any lucky draw to save mythril for it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Ripley posted:

I liked banner 4 more before the changes. It's much less of a sure thing for me now.
Same, but I'll always roll on a Terra banner I'm missing something from.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

well this is the least exciting set of festival banners since i started playing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

of course the onion gauntlets would be on the banner where I have the most duplicates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I found during the last Fest that I could best establish my chances of pulling something good on the banners by calculating a Banner Score for each.

Each item gets assigned a score based on how useful it would be to you:
3 points if it's a game-changing relic that you'd really want to chase
2 points if you'd like to have it to flesh out a specialized team, but wouldn't be earth-shattering
1 point if you don't really care about the item at all (the stat boost or possibly a CM would be the best part of getting this)
-1, -2, or -3 points if you've already pulled 1, 2, or 3+ copies of this relic in the past

So every item would get a score between 3 and -3. At 12 Relics per banner, a top score would be 36 points, and the lowest score possible is -36. So unless you're chasing a specific relic (well established as Not A Good Idea), pull on the banner with the highest score. Remember to recalculate after each pull!

This plan served me very well during the last fest, and it was the most lucrative Fest I've had since I started playing.

• Locked thread