Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

I will take failed Tom Clancy novels for $800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Could Joe Manchin be any more out of touch with the Democratic base?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Stop quoting that person.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mdemone posted:

I swear to god, if this thread spends three pages on Manchinology -- again -- I'm gonna fly straight up into the air.

It's inevitable, just lean into it

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

holey cra- oh it's Mensch

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm not clear how Russia, a permanent member of the UNSC, could even be removed theoretically.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pledge to Return to Era of Bipartisan Cooperation and Agreement
"I, the undersigned, hereby agree to vote with the Republicans 100% of the time, because my party is a bunch of poopyhead losers who love ISIS"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

EugeneJ posted:

So he doesn't want anyone to primary Trump in 2020

Thanks dude

He's clearly talking about senators

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boon posted:

I'm not clear how Russia, a permanent member of the UNSC, could even be removed theoretically.

You'd have to amend the UN charter, which requires among other things the unanimous consent of all permanent SC members, of which Russia is one, so it's not happening.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Couldn't we just have everyone leave the UN and reform it without Russia?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Boon posted:

We did it in model united Nations once. If an emergency is declared the security counsel room is locked with no entry or exit. So we waited for the Russian ambassador to go to the bathroom, declared an emergency, and voted them out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

He's clearly talking about senators

That craven worm campaigned with Hillary Clinton against a sitting colleague.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

This seems like a very misguided attempt to keep republicans from campaigning against him.

For reasons that should be obvious to everyone, including him, it won't work.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

We did it in model united Nations once. If an emergency is declared the security counsel room is locked with no entry or exit. So we waited for the Russian ambassador to go to the bathroom, declared an emergency, and voted them out.

We live in the Stupidest Times, so I wouldn't rule this out.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
One last hurrah?
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/877182924315131905

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Liberals that still believe in bipartisansip are stupid/spineless/both beyond belief.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The old emergency vote while the rear end in a top hat is in the bathroom routine. Genius. :perfect:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

That craven worm campaigned with Hillary Clinton against a sitting colleague.
oh no he betrayed bernie

I'm guessing some West Virginia poll showed "bipartisanship" as an important issue there or something.

I certainly don't get it, I didn't think that campaigning against a sitting colleague from another part of the country was a thing that senators really did anyway

Caros
May 14, 2008

Reik posted:

The ancient secret society of the 'no russias'.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Literally every other way is the worse way.

Response rates on fundraising emails are considered very good if they are in the 2-5% range.

They are targeting a certain demographic that:

A) Already made a positive step towards support (either through donating before or voluntarily signing up)
B) Responsive to a fundraising request
C) Has the funds to donate and will not abandon the process after a small delay (clicking the link, entering payment info, clicking accept)

Therefore, emails with a sense of urgency and imminence are the ones that provoke the largest influx of donations.

No, dude, the e-mails from the Ossof folks today are basically "It's over, we lost, gently caress it, and gently caress you!"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really don't want to hear about Louise Mensch anymore. She's full of poo poo, and her message is active sabotage against honest conversation and news. I also don't want the latest from Alex Jones, Roger Stone, etc etc.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't think even the most centrist of Democratic voters are pining for bipartisanship after the way Hillary Clinton got treated in 2016. That is some incredibly degree of out of touch.

RottenK posted:

Liberals that still believe in bipartisansip are stupid/spineless/both beyond belief.

Any Democrat in 2017 that believes in bipartisanship is actively working against party interests whether the party realizes that or not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

No, dude, the e-mails from the Ossof folks today are basically "It's over, we lost, gently caress it, and gently caress you!"

I guess the question is if this is just bad Democratic fundraising or like the Clinton campaign where at the last minute they realized they had already lost going into election day.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Radish posted:

I can't think even the most centrist of Democratic voters are pining for bipartisanship after the way Hillary Clinton got treated in 2016. That is some incredibly degree of out of touch.

Any Democrat in 2017 that believes in bipartisanship is actively working against party interests whether the party realizes that or not.

Manchin relies on Republicans for support

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ripoff posted:

I've always considered moving to the PNW, but finding a job when everyone else is looking to escape the idiocy of the South is going to be tough. Its weird, but I'm looking at this election as a sign as to whether or not I should stay in Atlanta, because this city is growing at an insane rate but they refuse to consider any sort of "real city" infrastructure projects like public transport. Instead everyone sits in their cars for hours on end driving 10-15 miles in and out of the city, and Atlanta has its head up its rear end as to what that means in the long run. The whole creation of SunTrust park and moving it to an area devoid of public transit (and is also one of the most heavily white areas in Atlanta) was a massive, burning bright red flag that things are hosed up here, and that the folks in charge are lower-case KKK assholes that also don't care about sustainability.

it's a good thing the braves moved to cobb county because the city of atlanta wouldn't shell out for a new stadium (too busy paying for the new football/soccer stadium) and there's additional transit plans in the works, the downtown streetcar is set to expand once HUD isn't so hosed and MARTA's been trying to expand the Clifton line for ages. they'll get there eventually

i can't blame you for being frustrated and wanting to move but there's only so much the city can do when there's no strong regional planning infrastructure due to state interference and the feds turn off grant funding. haha if you move closer to an ocean though in the name of 'sustainability'

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BootStrap posted:

Just to take your minds off the upcoming face-plant of Ossof, it is literally too hot in AZ for planes to fly.

https://thinkprogress.org/southwest-heat-wave-2017-6ff097b3dd53

We're all gonna die, sooner rather than later.

The sooner we just declare AZ as The Forbidden Zone, the better.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Reik posted:

I could only see that ending up with the US out of the UN as well because Trump would "art of the deal" the signing of the "new" UN.

Chard posted:

The sooner we just declare AZ as The Forbidden Zone, the better.

When asked for comment, McCain responded "Very troubling, if true."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Please look away if this will.....offend you.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

haveblue posted:

You'd have to amend the UN charter, which requires among other things the unanimous consent of all permanent SC members, of which Russia is one, so it's not happening.

How the heck did it work with Taiwan?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really don't want to hear about Louise Mensch anymore. She's full of poo poo, and her message is active sabotage against honest conversation and news. I also don't want the latest from Alex Jones, Roger Stone, etc etc.

This

Also, starting off the day right:

chat from conservative workplace douche posted:

lol
handel on tv
"everyone watch me put on my 'i voted' sticker cause my opponent cant do that today"
it is funny

This man loves to pick fights with me. I told him this wasn't funny and explained to him why it wasn't funny or clever and he did this.

chat from conservative workplace douche posted:

no
point
in
talking
to
you
ever

This is a 40 year old man.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Radish posted:

I'm not saying I know this particular action is a good move or whatever, but you don't win West Virginia with just Democrats. Manchin pulled 60% of the vote in 2012 while his state voted for Romney 62%. His state likes him personally.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

This

Also, starting off the day right:

This man loves to pick fights with me. I told him this wasn't funny and explained to him why it wasn't funny or clever and he did this.

This is a 40 year old man.

Tell him to knock it off and then report every failure to do so to HR.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Manchin relies on Republicans for support

This is true, though he's been a shithead since before he was a Senator. Unfortunately that seems like the best we're going to get out of WV, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

OddObserver posted:

How the heck did it work with Taiwan?

Taiwan was never a permanent member of the security council.

Only China. There is only one China.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

theflyingorc posted:

oh no he betrayed bernie

I'm guessing some West Virginia poll showed "bipartisanship" as an important issue there or something.

I certainly don't get it, I didn't think that campaigning against a sitting colleague from another part of the country was a thing that senators really did anyway

I guess it's more aimed at the other senator in WV? Since he's up in 2018 and she isn't I'm guessing this is to try to keep her from campaigning against him in his race? I dunno that's just my guess.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Atlanta of all cities is a weird place to brag about living one place and not ten miles away.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

HappyHippo posted:

I guess it's more aimed at the other senator in WV? Since he's up in 2018 and she isn't I'm guessing this is to try to keep her from campaigning against him in his race? I dunno that's just my guess.

It might be a response to the shooting, as well - if the current biggest Republican concern is "liberal violence", then he can potentially keep them from running away by positioning himself as "not like those Democrats that want to murder Republicans" or something.

I dunno, whatever it is, it's calculated. It might be a miscalculation, but there's no way Manchin just woke up with a love for his opponents in his heart.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Radish posted:

I guess the question is if this is just bad Democratic fundraising or like the Clinton campaign where at the last minute they realized they had already lost going into election day.

Small-donor fundraising emails are not part of your public media strategy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

It might be a response to the shooting, as well - if the current biggest Republican concern is "liberal violence", then he can potentially keep them from running away by positioning himself as "not like those Democrats that want to murder Republicans" or something.

I dunno, whatever it is, it's calculated. It might be a miscalculation, but there's no way Manchin just woke up with a love for his opponents in his heart.

It's love of republicans and hate for the democratic base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Atlanta of all cities is a weird place to brag about living one place and not ten miles away.

The only place worth bragging about living here is five minutes from work.

• Locked thread