Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Paradoxish posted:

You're probably picking the wrong person to take this approach with, because I've got posts in the Trump thread arguing exactly this. I'm happy to call individuals out for their lovely opinions that lead them to vote for lovely people, but I don't think you can lay the blame for an election outcome on individual voters at all.

But the collective individual voters are the ones who decide the election.

Just like the actions of the collective thieves result in higher prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WampaLord posted:

If you're mad at someone for being a Trump voter, it's not because their one vote helped him win, it's because it signifies they are an idiot. But yes, getting mad over individual votes is pointless.

I'd be mad at someone for stealing because they are a thief (barring the moral necessity scenario depicted in the documentary I linked above). The calculus here isn't complicated.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd be mad at someone for stealing because they are a thief (barring the moral necessity scenario depicted in the documentary I linked above). The calculus here isn't complicated.

Oh, I agree, the "one weird trick, just steal lol!" dude is a total loving shitlord, I'm just responding to his point about voters.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But the collective individual voters are the ones who decide the election.

Just like the actions of the collective thieves result in higher prices.

All you're really saying here is that problems on a large scale are difficult. The point that I'd argue (maybe? I don't know exactly where you're disagreeing with me, to be honest) is that these aren't problems that you can solve from the bottom-up, by influencing the actions of individuals. You aren't going to convince all thieves everywhere to stop stealing by whining that they're costing you more money. If enough people are stealing for it to be a wide scale problem then there's a reason for that that's larger than any individual thief.

That said, I think this is a bad comparison anyway. A core part of the point that I was making is that the there's someone in this interaction (the shop owner) who has drastically more power than anyone else involved. That's not really true of an election that's wholly decided by the collective actions of an electorate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're defending a dude ringing up non organic food while taking organic stock. There is literally no response but to increase price as an owner to meet revenue.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You're defending a dude ringing up non organic food while taking organic stock. There is literally no response but to increase price as an owner to meet revenue.

Also, there's no loving point. Buying organic is essentially useless, and you could easily just buy the non-organic stuff for the price you're already paying.

I will pay extra for higher-welfare meat and eggs, though. But if you just ring it through as a lower-priced SKU, that's actively harmful because it decreases the money that the producer makes for making higher-welfare choices.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm not defending anyone. I haven't been responding to Helio's posts at all because I don't really give a poo poo what he does. I do think stealing is lovely (and even said so a few posts back), but I also don't really care about some random guy on the internet who does it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PT6A posted:

Also, there's no loving point. Buying organic is essentially useless, and you could easily just buy the non-organic stuff for the price you're already paying.

I will pay extra for higher-welfare meat and eggs, though. But if you just ring it through as a lower-priced SKU, that's actively harmful because it decreases the money that the producer makes for making higher-welfare choices.

Organic is pure Virtue Signaling.

You buy organic to show that you're the type of person who buys organic.

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Capitalism is dying here in the west. Big box stores and the malls they support are a major bubble waiting to burst. It's going to be bad - worse than 2008 bad.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Xae posted:

Organic is pure Virtue Signaling.

You buy organic to show that you're the type of person who buys organic.

I don't know about this. The people I know who buy organic actually buy into the propaganda. There's a lot of ambiguous chatter about "toxins", "no nutrient value foods", and "chemicals". It all sounds loving loony but the people I've come in contact with who buy that stuff aren't trying to signal that they're in a certain socioeconomic status or that they're a good person or whatever. They legit think they're making an informed decision to eat better foods.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I don't know about this. The people I know who buy organic actually buy into the propaganda. There's a lot of ambiguous chatter about "toxins", "no nutrient value foods", and "chemicals". It all sounds loving loony but the people I've come in contact with who buy that stuff aren't trying to signal that they're in a certain socioeconomic status or that they're a good person or whatever. They legit think they're making an informed decision to eat better foods.

This. There's been tons of essentially false marketing telling people that organic is better.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The organic fruit and granola market near my house sells double gloucester cheese with chives in it, the local Vons doesn't. That is literally the only reason I shop there on occasion.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Here is some advice from reddit how to shoplift better:

https://np.reddit.com/r/Shoplifting/comments/6dy7ll/if_someone_tries_to_stop_you_just_say_you_have_a/di69ypk/

LP are required to back off of a shoplifter if the lifter even says they have a gun (without actually showing one.) I have lifted three times this past week and my plan has been to just say "Leave me alone I have a gun." if anyone tries to stop me. Since I'm not actually pulling a gun out I can't be charged with it. If I get caught later on by the cops it's just a shoplifting case because LP can't prove I threatened them with a gun. They would have to have me recorded saying it, legally the court can't just take their word for it that I said anything.
I'm not saying make a big scene obviously but to calmly say to anyone that tries to stop me "Hey man, I'm carrying a gun, back off." and just casually walk out.

https://thefpl.us/episode/217

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

Capitalism is dying here in the west. Big box stores and the malls they support are a major bubble waiting to burst. It's going to be bad - worse than 2008 bad.

People are buying stuff online instead, malls dying say little about capitalism.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Peachfart posted:

People are buying stuff online instead, malls dying say little about capitalism.

Maybe the "worse than 2008" is the jobs that will be slain

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Great Metal Jesus posted:

People 100% do not realize that "Organic" means basically absolutely none of the things they think it does.

I also want GMO food but now all these food products say GMO-free and I'm worried its going the way of God's own chosen flavoring agent MSG.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Barudak posted:

People 100% do not realize that "Organic" means basically absolutely none of the things they think it does.

I also want GMO food but now all these food products say GMO-free and I'm worried its going the way of God's own chosen flavoring agent MSG.

Yeah people seem to think "organic" and "no GMOs" is like the difference between free-range eggs and battery farmed ones.

ziggurat
Jun 18, 2017

by Smythe
i'm organic

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Amazon just announced a new clothing feature called "Amazon Wardrobe."

You can pick clothes off of Amazon, pay nothing upfront, try them on, and send them back for free.

You are only charged for the clothes if you don't send them back within 8 days.

You can have up to 15 items out at once and you get discounts on the items you decide to keep.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/20/amazon-prime-wardrobe/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TBH I hate shopping for clothes on Amazon because there is too much choice.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

Did you reg just to post this? Lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Amazon just announced a new clothing feature called "Amazon Wardrobe."

You can pick clothes off of Amazon, pay nothing upfront, try them on, and send them back for free.

You are only charged for the clothes if you don't send them back within 8 days.

You can have up to 15 items out at once and you get discounts on the items you decide to keep.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/20/amazon-prime-wardrobe/

So if I send everything back and then just order another box I can have my own rent-a-swag scheme going?

Imma bout to order 15 Trilbys and just swam em out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ziggurat posted:

i'm organic

Prove it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

If you could go back in time to a Virgin Megastore, you could peel the 30% off sticker from something and put it on another thing and the person would ring it up like that.
Also, one time I was hanging out with a goon friend, and I took 5 Akira Kurosawa samurai movie DVDs, along with the english Office DVDs, to the counter. The guy at the desk demagnetized all of them, then got confused while ringing up the Office DVDs, which were on sale together, charged me for just them, and then bagged all 7 DVDs. I thanked him and walked out with the bag.

I'm not sure whether I was stealing or fighting the system or taking advantage of my lucky situations but Virgin Megastore and my friend are both dead.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
This thread keeps going on and on about how superior urban shopping and urban living is but completely ignores the fact of how expensive it is.

There's not a country in the earth where living in the big city will make up 30% or less of your rent. Most americans who live in big cities pay 50% or more of their income in just rent. It's even worse in other countries like Canada and even the undeveloped world.

And I'm not even talking about house ownership. Which is impossible in a urban city for anyone but the richest of the rich.

You all poo-poo the suburban lifestyle but for anyone who wants to own a home or have children - or have any kind of reasonable savings or achieve anything meaningful with their life there is literally no way to do it in big urban cities without literally being a rape & plunder capitalist masterlord who likes killing peasants for fun.

Added to this the average income and wages of all these large urban countries like the UK and most of Europe is significantly lower than the US.

Why would I give a gently caress about living in a New York City when my rent alone will cost me nearly $2000-$3000 a month when a mortgage on a nice suburban house in a midwestern or southern city will run me half of that?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

There's not a country in the earth where living in the big city will make up 30% or less of your rent.

Our apartment in Boston is 17% of our household income. :)

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Why would I give a gently caress about living in a New York City when my rent alone will cost me nearly $2000-$3000 a month

Uh lol no, it's easy to pay $1000 a month or less for a 2 br, even a 3 br depending on the part of the city you look at. It just won't be in the absolute most trendy districts which suck to live in anyway.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
I'm still going to poo poo on suburban living even if you do pay half your income in rent(which coincidentally my rent is near half my net income) as being terrible. My friend and I were actually in NYC Monday talking about this, "There's a reason you don't see too many crazy evangelicals or gently caress you, got mine libertarians even in the wealthy part of the here or at home(New Haven), and its because they actually have to deal with and interact with all kinds of people, not live in some homogenous suburban bubble"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend lives right in NYC and is a lawyer making good six figures and his rent is like $1300. He's paying less rent than me in a small canadian town but making like 5x as much money. Big cities are great if you have a profession that can take advantage of the high wages there.

My friend who was working retail in his small town only to move to Toronto because "more opportunities" and worked retail there for the same money but like double the cost of living is crazy though. Go where you can get the best job and best quality of life. For some people that's a smaller town, for others they need to be somewhere like London or NY.

Also suburban houses are only cheap due to massive subsidies and tax breaks, directly or indirectly paid for by the cities.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Amused to Death posted:

My friend and I were actually in NYC Monday talking about this, "There's a reason you don't see too many crazy evangelicals or gently caress you, got mine libertarians even in the wealthy part of the here or at home(New Haven), and its because they actually have to deal with and interact with all kinds of people, not live in some homogenous suburban bubble"

LOL if you believe this. Where do you think Donald Trump is from anyways?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Baronjutter posted:

My friend lives right in NYC and is a lawyer making good six figures and his rent is like $1300. He's paying less rent than me in a small canadian town but making like 5x as much money. Big cities are great if you have a profession that can take advantage of the high wages there.

My friend who was working retail in his small town only to move to Toronto because "more opportunities" and worked retail there for the same money but like double the cost of living is crazy though. Go where you can get the best job and best quality of life. For some people that's a smaller town, for others they need to be somewhere like London or NY.

Also suburban houses are only cheap due to massive subsidies and tax breaks, directly or indirectly paid for by the cities.

Your friend has 3 roommates, is living in a rent controlled building from the 70s in his grandmothers name, is living in a room smaller than most walk in closets, or is lying.

They make beds smaller than twin size for rooms that small.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Double post. Or he lives 90 min away.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I was paying less in rent to live in a nice area of Los Angeles than I am right now to live in a lovely part of Florida.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lote posted:

Your friend has 3 roommates, is living in a rent controlled building from the 70s in his grandmothers name, is living in a room smaller than most walk in closets, or is lying.

They make beds smaller than twin size for rooms that small.

He's in a pretty nice looking spacious 1br in harlem, rent controlled of course, got lucky.
My 2br is $1400 a month, when we first started renting it was only $1100 but there's basically no tenants rights where I live (landlords all found one weird trick to get around them all) so rent has gone up about $100 a year. A 2br just went for $1600 in our building so rip our finances next year. We're still managing the 1/3 rule but it's going to be tight if they keep putting it up $100 or more a year.

My friends lucked out and found a huge 2br half-a-house for $1200 with a yard and everything. Old lady landlord who had the same previous tenants for like 20 years so wasn't sure what to raise the rent to, so score for them, and she doesn't know the one weird trick so they actually signed a proper tenant agreement without loopholes. Standard 2br rent in town seems to be around $1300-$2000 now :( Wages are down/stagnant as well. Local retail blames ((BIKE LANES)) for all their sales decreases over the last years though, can't possibly be skyrocketing rents and cost of living. Super luxury stores are doing well, nothing else is though.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Amused to Death posted:

I'm still going to poo poo on suburban living even if you do pay half your income in rent(which coincidentally my rent is near half my net income) as being terrible. My friend and I were actually in NYC Monday talking about this, "There's a reason you don't see too many crazy evangelicals or gently caress you, got mine libertarians even in the wealthy part of the here or at home(New Haven), and its because they actually have to deal with and interact with all kinds of people, not live in some homogenous suburban bubble"

Lol if you don't think that wealthy people who live in cities don't live in their own peculiar type of bubble, I don't know what to tell you

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

silence_kit posted:

Lol if you don't think that wealthy people who live in cities don't live in their own peculiar type of bubble, I don't know what to tell you

Ill take my wealthy city neighborhoods even if they are in their own bubvle that still voted almost 90% Democratic vs the upper income Trump voting suburbs a quick drive away.

And lol for someone trying to point to Donald Trump as a rule vs an exception.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

This is completely false. It's because the land is low value and it's inherently just plain cheap to build a normal house these days, Far less labor is really needed than there used to be.

It's not like a 4 bedroom house 20 miles out of the city was going to be worth millions of dollars without your mythical "subsidies" and "tax breaks" that somehow apply to land value and building costs on it.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

This thread keeps going on and on about how superior urban shopping and urban living is but completely ignores the fact of how expensive it is.

There's not a country in the earth where living in the big city will make up 30% or less of your rent. Most americans who live in big cities pay 50% or more of their income in just rent. It's even worse in other countries like Canada and even the undeveloped world.

And I'm not even talking about house ownership. Which is impossible in a urban city for anyone but the richest of the rich.

You all poo-poo the suburban lifestyle but for anyone who wants to own a home or have children - or have any kind of reasonable savings or achieve anything meaningful with their life there is literally no way to do it in big urban cities without literally being a rape & plunder capitalist masterlord who likes killing peasants for fun.

Added to this the average income and wages of all these large urban countries like the UK and most of Europe is significantly lower than the US.

Why would I give a gently caress about living in a New York City when my rent alone will cost me nearly $2000-$3000 a month when a mortgage on a nice suburban house in a midwestern or southern city will run me half of that?

The thing about NYC and environs is, due to the rail network, even suburbs are setup with mixed use cores around the train stations so you have these mini cbd's all over the place that have walkability.

Also, you're making the mistake that the 50's era suburban 'American Dream (tm)' is the only mode that is actually valid. Same thing with automatically wanting to own property.

Also...on that last sentence. Honestly? For me? The reason I don't get out of here, other than my entire family being from here...is due to me being absolutely loving terrified of just about anywhere that isn't this area...in this country. I know this land. I will stay here. Call me provincial but at least I know the cops aren't going to take my head off because I drifted into the wrong neighborhood. Then again, even though I'm technically classified as white by the Census Bureau, you're not mistaking me for a white guy...and neither are the police and that's what matters.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 21, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
The people that live out in the suburbs or the sticks to save on rent usually spend a fair amount of time commuting. Does the upkeep on a car count? What about time? Pissing away two hours a day behind the wheel sounds like a poo poo deal.

Doesn't matter anyways. That sort of thing isn't really an option for the average slob with a job. Rent in a small town might be 'cheap' for a professional, but it's still a lot of money if you're hourly. Not a lot of people building apartments out here, and since there's less density, there are fewer places to live.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

fishmech posted:

This is completely false. It's because the land is low value and it's inherently just plain cheap to build a normal house these days, Far less labor is really needed than there used to be.

It's not like a 4 bedroom house 20 miles out of the city was going to be worth millions of dollars without your mythical "subsidies" and "tax breaks" that somehow apply to land value and building costs on it.

Those cheap houses couldn't exist without the infrastructure, mortgage write-offs, and thousands of little zoning policies, tax codes, and subsidies that keeps sprawl sprawling. If sprawl had to not just pay for its immediate infrastructure, but the increased load on local highways, and the long term maintenance for all that infastructure (their property taxes are usually artificially low and don't result in the area "breaking even") they would suddenly not be such a good deal.

http://grist.org/cities/starving-the-cities-to-feed-the-suburbs/
https://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/
http://www.reimaginerpe.org/node/27
http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/smart-growth-working-families/subsidies-and-sprawl

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Those cheap houses couldn't exist without the infrastructure, mortgage write-offs, and thousands of little zoning policies, tax codes, and subsidies that keeps sprawl sprawling.

Yes they would. They'd simply be a little less appealing.

You're really ignoring how a lot of these developments get built ahead of any real infrastructure improvement, and just kinda hope the improvement will come later - the developer only cares about selling to an initial wave of suckers and washing their. And further, many of them don't actually have any advantageous tax setups or anything in the way of a coherent zoning policy designed to make them "better" for building residences.

The land and houses would be worth less and cost less without all the things you're bitching about, because they would be less appealing. If you were to magically remove all the things you claim to hate, suburban housing would become significantly cheaper to buy. Instead, the services and infrastructure provided make the land and houses worth a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The people that live out in the suburbs or the sticks to save on rent usually spend a fair amount of time commuting. Does the upkeep on a car count? What about time? Pissing away two hours a day behind the wheel sounds like a poo poo deal.

Doesn't matter anyways. That sort of thing isn't really an option for the average slob with a job. Rent in a small town might be 'cheap' for a professional, but it's still a lot of money if you're hourly. Not a lot of people building apartments out here, and since there's less density, there are fewer places to live.

A lot of people work in the suburbs. Suburbs are not sticks though.

Also owning a car is probably cheaper currently than any time in history. I got a Honda Hybrid from 2011 for Less than $8,000 and it gets 45 miles to the gallon. That's a $200 monthly payment and it requires little maintenance, probably less than $1,000 a year if that. Just regular oil changes and new tires every 4 years and new brakes every 1 or 2. I just completed the 100k maintenance and that cost maybe $100.